Start by marking “Rufus M.” as Want to Read:
Rufus M.

Rufus M. (The Moffats #3)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  1,326 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
You've never met anyone quite like Rufus Moffat. He gets things done, but he gets them done his way. When he wants to check out library books, Rufus teaches himself to write...even though he doesn't yet know how to read. When food is scarce, he plants some special "Rufus beans" that actually grow...despite his digging them up every day to check on them. And Rufus has frien ...more
Published 1943 by Harcourt Brace and Company

To ask other readers questions about Rufus M., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rufus M.

Karol
Mar 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved reading about the antics and adventures of the youngest Moffat. The perspective of a child this age seemed right on target to me. A truly fun classic for young readers.
Feb 20, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Although in general I am a great fan of classic children's books, I found this one to be difficult to follow and impossible to engage a similarly aged child with. Too many years have passed and too much has changed for today's young child to enter into Rufus' world. And to our great good fortune, there are now so many excellent books for any age and taste, we have the luxury of moving on rather than focusing on past eras of children's literature. I would have loved to introduce my son to Rufus, ...more
CLM
One of my happiest academic moments was when I persuaded a professor of economics to let me write a paper in which I combined economic theory (of which I knew nothing), several old books by Horatio Alger that must have belonged to my great-grandfather, and the first chapter of Rufus M where he gets his library card (it is the best chapter of the book).
Jenny
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dear sweet Rufus. He is a character. I love his determination (think library card adventures and practicing ventriloquism), his naïveté (think the invisible piano player), and his optimism. He has a series of gentle adventures and you can hardly help but love him.
Astrid Lim
Cute little story of Rufus M, the clever/naughty little boy who lived with his family in Connecticut during the war time. The stories are simple yet engaging, a kind of story I would be happy to read to my boy =)
Grace Lin
Dec 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was another great classic which has held up well. Rufus is such a likeable character and the episodic adventures were extremely fun & charming!
Johnny Bennett
Rufus M continues the stories of the Moffats as they continue to grow and live through the war. There are some real cultural references that kids will need explained to them, and at this point probably some adults. While well written and involving real history, this is still a children's book and isn't so brilliant to thoroughly entice adults. The last chapter though, that last little vignette, carries a lot of power and symbol with it.
Mary
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
More fun Moffat stories--where the ordinary curiosity and adventures of kids makes for great entertainment. Estes captures the wonder of childhood and the lessons kids learn without being preachy. My five year old enjoys these books.
Ariel
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mg
I had read this one more recently so was less struck by it than the first 2. But I loved the part where Rufus thinks the player piano is an invisible person. And the part where he gives the washcloth he knitted to the soldier. And of course, the part where he gets his library card is priceless.
Ruqayya Siddiqui
It was an amazing, funny, interesting book.
  • Bright Island
  • All Alone
  • The Planet of Junior Brown
  • Tree of Freedom
  • All Sail Set: A Romance of the Flying Cloud
Eleanor Ruth Rosenfeld (Estes)was an American children's author. She was born in West Haven, Connecticut as Eleanor Ruth Rosenfield. Originally a librarian, Estes' writing career began following a case of tuberculosis. Bedridden while recovering, Estes began writing down some of her childhood memories, which would later turn into full-length children's books.

Estes's book Ginger Pye (1951) won the
More about Eleanor Estes...

The Moffats (4 books)
  • The Moffats (The Moffats, #1)
  • The Middle Moffat (The Moffats, #2)
  • The Moffat Museum (The Moffats, #4)