Start by marking “Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Four” as Want to Read:
Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Four

Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Four

(Fables: The Deluxe Edition #4)

Bill Willingham's hit series Fables continues here, for the first time in hardcover. In the aftermath of the Adversary's attack on Fabletown, Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Four follows with the impending birth of Snow White and Bigby Wolf's children! Meanwhile, Boy Blue goes on a mission of revenge, as he discovers the Adversary's true identity.

Collecting: Fables 28-33, 1001 Nights/>:
Hardcover, Deluxe Edition, 296 pages
Published February 21st 2012 by Vertigo

Start your review of Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Four
Jeannette Nikolova
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Also available on the WondrousBooks blog.

I feel like there was a bit of bad period for Fables around Vol. 2-3, but then it started picking up pace here and I’m really happy with the current progression. I see a development both in the characters that we already have as people, a narrative progression towards the Adversary, and an increase of fable characters, which I highly appreciate.

My favourite part of this deluxe edition, however, were the 1001 Nights of Snowfall. I thought that that was just fthe
Erica
We're just truckin' right along with this story.
It's not building the way I'd like. I thought there'd be more to the characters by now and there's just not. They're all fairly static and 2-dimensional.
But it's entertaining enough and this one has Fables: 1001 Nights of Snowfall at the end, which I'd read (and loved) before. I love the artwork all through that episode; it's all charming and lovely in different ways.
Barbara McEwen
Chaitra
I honestly thought I wouldn't have a non favorite Fables edition, but apparently this is it. It mostly stems from the lack of Bigby Wolf in the stories, even though the collection leads with his War Stories issues. But War Stories, where a bunch of soldiers go on an off the books mission to bomb the fuck out of Frankenstein Castle in the middle of World War II; and who are led by a civilian named Bigby Wolf who seems to have some very peculiar skills, isn't very good.

The Mean Seasons follows War Stories, where in present ti
Izzy Corbo
May 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow! This series is phenomenal! Starting with a WWII tale of the Wolf Man versus Frankenstein and winding to a new rendition of Tales of the Arabian night. Some of the illustrations are museum worthy and the writing is fantastic! Now on to volume 5!
Amanda K
Mar 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Didn't like it as much as the others, the storytelling was very different, and I just couldn't really get in to it.
Vanessa
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This particular volume wasn't as brilliant as the previous volume for me, as there was less of a continuous narrative. However, this was by no means a bad volume: there was a mix of different storie and art styles, and some truly kick-ass moments.

War Stories - 3.5 stars.

This section told the story of one of Bigby Wolf's previous experiences at war against the Nazis. Although I wasn't as interested in the first part of the story, up until certain antics that happened towards the end of the fir/>War
Aaron
Feb 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fables-unwritten
Another fantastic entry from Willingham with lots of bold choices going forward. In the wake of the previous volume a lot has changed for the Fables, and no time is wasted embracing these changes. However, a lot of the story in this volume is more "positioning the chess pieces" than actually making moves. It's not boring, but it definitely has the feeling of the calm before the storm. I like what I'm seeing, and can't wait for volume five.

Also included in this (fairly large) hardcove
Samantha
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it
this volume was slightly better because they had a section at the back with snow white inserted into the story of 1001 arabian nights, which had guest artists, some which were lovely. I just wish the art was better in general; it's very workaday. nothing wrong with it, it's clear and often the perspectives or page layouts have some interest, it's just not as beautiful as I would wish it to be. I mean, these are fairytale characters, I just want a little more beauty. maybe that's too much to ask ...more
Sam
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Another delightful installment of the Fables series. I am loving this story more than I enjoy watching Once Upon a Time, which is still a great show. It is cool to see how different creators combine the characters and stories of these fairy tales that most people have grown up hearing or watching. I'm looking forward to reading book 5.
Joan
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have some mixed feelings about this one. The last half of the book is backstory. I enjoyed some of it, but after a while I wanted to get back to the present story. Art work is great and will continue with the series.
Joseph
Jan 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another great read in the Fables series. The 1001 and One Nights of Snowfall alone make this one well worth it. The different artwort of 1001 was fantastic and told the backstory of several main characters. Impressed.
Adrienne
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
These just keep getting better!
Vlad
This volume makes you jump from 'awww, babies' to 'OH MY GOD WHAT JUST HAPPENED' really fast. And I loved it.

Raj
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
The fourth deluxe volume of Fables starts with a story arc involving Bigby Wolf during the Second World War, which is a nice war story, and reinforces what we already know about Bigby, that he's loyal, a bit soft and hard as nails. Next we have a four issue arc about Snow White and Bigby's babies, with one of them being very different to the others. This sees Snow have to leave Fabletown for the Farm (since most of the babies can't pass for human) but Bigby is banned from the Farm, so chooses to ...more
Joseph Born
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: vertigo
Fables continues onward, this time focusing greatly on character backstories with an arc on Snow giving birth and its ramifications in the Fable community. To start with, The Long Year arc sees snow giving birth and her kids growing up while Fabletown undergoes changes in administration. It's a solid arc, showcasing the big change in Snow's life while highlighting how the change in the status quo due to a new mayor and co. being in charge. Buckingham's art is as great as always, while Willingham ...more
ellie
Apr 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Heather
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Bigby Wolf and Snow have a litter (of course) with unforeseen consequences. Many twists occur that you never see coming.

1001 Nights of Snowfall was just too good! The artwork in some of the stories were incredibly beautiful. We get some backstories (some heartbreaking, some courageous, some evil, some epic), we see old characters in new lights, and meet new characters from favourite tales in treasured neighbourhoods -- including Watership Down: "The wars for the homelands were fought
Patrice
While only a small portion of this book moved the main story forward, it was an emotionally important story advance that I really enjoyed. The rest was comprised of short stories covering brief histories of many of the world's characters inside a larger frame story. I loved finding out more about these characters and enjoyed each of the short stories in their own right. The art in this volume was varied but quite pleasing for the most part. Well done and I look forward to reading more.
Luly Ceballos
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Only one tale from my childhood has succeed in make me cry every time I (remember/re-read/watch) it, and that is The Little Match Girl from Andersen's tales. I can't help it, it brough me in tears every time. I thought I'll never find another tale that could make this to me till I found " A Frog's eye view" from the 1001 Nights of Snowfall in this Deluxe Edition of Fables. Frog Prince standing there in from of the mirror, questioning, oh God. The pure essence of sadness. Bravo!
Erik
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-fantasy
My favorite issues so far have been the standalone stories about how the Fables have spent their time in the real world. Bigby vs Frankenstein in World War II was just a lot of fun. The second story was a bit predictable but still effective and moves the plot along nicely. And I loved the 1001 Nights story. Really clever way to provide backstory with a great mix of artists.
Krista
This edition is a solid 4 stars. The first half contained a lot of setup for the following volumes. It's gearing up to be good! The last 10 chapters were amazing. Guest artists came in and illustrated the chapters. The art was simply beautiful. The stories themselves contained a lot of needed backstory. And finally Fables is starting to grow in complexity.
Garrett
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
First of all let me say, The Big Bad Wolf vs Frankenstein's monster is the battle I never knew I always wanted to see. This Volume once again has a large variety of stories, though the last collection of stories was perhaps my favorite, classic fables with a Willingham twist.

5 Frog Prince of 5
Leticia
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I go on reading and enjoying this series even if I now and then find conservative ideas that I don't really like mixed up in the story and subplots, like Jack's story, that I don't really care about.
Martin
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-book, fantasy
Truly superior in every way.
Andrew Morris
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic
A collection of stories, mostly sad. Very nice illustrations.
Bar Lovv
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
Fables has managed to be one of those graphic novel series that has held my attention consistently, and this one is no different. There really isn't much to say here, it's an excellent series.
Brian Tague
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Was a wonderful read. Really such a special and wonderfully written series of graphic novels with connecting subplots.
Jake Miller
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I still love the series, but I didn’t find myself as entertained with the ‘1001’ plot line (even if I did really like the Witch’s back story).
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Fairest, Volume 3: The Return of the Maharaja
  • Fairest, Volume 2: The Hidden Kingdom
  • Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Three (Y: The Last Man, #5-6)
  • Fairest, Volume 4: Of Men and Mice
  • Criminal: The Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • Fables: The Wolf Among Us, Volume 1
  • Cinderella, Volume 1: From Fabletown with Love
  • Scalped: The Deluxe Edition Book One
  • Hilda and the Mountain King
  • Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Five (Y: The Last Man, #9-10)
  • Big Hard Sex Criminals: Volume One
  • Cinderella: Fables are Forever (Vol. 2)
  • The Batman/Judge Dredd Collection
  • Locke & Key, Master Edition Volume Two
  • Y: The Last Man - The Deluxe Edition Book Four (Y: The Last Man, #7-8)
  • Moon Knight by Lemire & Smallwood
  • Fables: The Wolf Among Us, Volume 2
  • Locke & Key, Master Edition Volume Three
In the late 1970s to early 1980s he drew fantasy ink pictures for the Dungeons & Dragons Basic and Expert game rulebooks. He first gained attention for his 1980s comic book series Elementals published by Comico, which he both wrote and drew. However, for reasons unknown, the series had trouble maintaining an original schedule, and Willingham's position in the industry remained spotty for many ...more

Fables: The Deluxe Edition (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book One (Fables: The Deluxe Edition, #1)
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Two
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Eight
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Nine
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Ten
  • Fables: The Deluxe Edition, Book Eleven
“Perhaps only that revenge is ultimately unsatisfying," Snow said. "It can make up for evil done to you, but can destroy the remaining good in your life.” 2 likes