Start by marking “Voodoo Eyes (Max Mingus, #3)” as Want to Read:
Voodoo Eyes (Max Mingus, #3)

Voodoo Eyes (Max Mingus #3)

3.43  ·  Rating details ·  217 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Meet the man with the voodoo eyes: Solomon Boukman. He'd used voodoo, black magic, and extreme violence to control his people, and to keep anyone who ever heard his name in a state of fear. He'd zombified his enemies with potions and hypnosis and used them as his very own suicide killers. Some said he was the earthly incarnation of Baron Samedi, the voodoo god of death; ot ...more
Published 2011 by Sphere

May 20, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
How about a thriller where a detective (think old, worn out and a refugee of a James Elroy novel) investigates the deaths of two ex-colleagues, seemingly at the hands of a long vanished sixties radical?

Or imagine a book where a detective is hired to follow an adulterous couple, but when he actually breaks into the hotel room to take photos of them having sex, discovers only a DVD – filmed in the very same hotel room – of them doing the deed?

Intriguing, no? Something any self-respecting thriller
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
brilliant as always
S.B. Wright
Sep 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Voodoo Eyes. by Nick Stone is the third Max Mingus novel. While the story ties in with the previous two books this one worked really well as a standalone.

Miami Noir

I have seen Voodoo Eyes advertised as a thriller - it certainly has some thriller pacing but I really enjoyed the “Miami Noir” feel that the book had about it. No doubt Max Mingus’ role is a private eye shaped the tone of the novel in this regard.

There’s something about setting the novel in Miami, with the heat and humidity, the natur
Tim Niland
Apr 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-reads
I devoured the first two books in this series, King of Swords and Mr. Clarinet, which are dark and gritty tales of crime in Miami starring a detective named Max Mingus (seriously, how could you not read a series where the protagonist has that name?) I tried like the devil to find this volume through any library, but finally had to break down and buy it used through amazon for the princely price of one dollar plus shipping. In this book, Mingus is off the Miami police force and out of jail after ...more
Mar 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Max Mingus is older and wiser, he still faces danger but is less able to use brut force. I found this book a lot more emotional and there are some sections when your tears will flow. This not a book about voodoo although there is some graphic parts.
Nick Stone has again magically transported a reader to a place from a page. If you want to experience the dodgy and yet beautiful setting of Cuba from a book this is it, and I know I have been there.
Sep 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
One of the best thrillers I've read in a while, excellent characters, locations so brilliantly described I felt like I was there and a fantastic ending! Didn't realise this was the last in a trilogy, definitely seeking out the previous books now.
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great conclusion to the Max Mingus trilogy. Beautiful descriptions of Cuba. Really powerful story. Shame about that HIDEOUS cover though.
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really wasn't sure about this book for the first fifty or so pages but once I got into the flow of the story, I really enjoyed it.
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
Darn...the first two copies in the series were good, but this third excuse of a thriller was just barely readable, so dissapointed.
Aug 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
La conclusion à la trilogie de Max Mingus qu'il me tardait tant de lire et qui m'a pourtant tant déçue.

Autant j'avais adoré les deux premiers tomes, autant celui là n'est pas insipide mais presque.
La première partie du roman et longue, il ne s'y passe littéralement rien de concluant et ça n'en fini jamais. J'ai reposé le livre un nombre incalculable de fois tellement j'avais du mal à accrocher.
Et puis il part pour Cuba et là Max Mingus passe un temps fou à tourner dans le vide. Et j'ai beau a
Jade - Louise
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, reviewed
What did i think? Well to put it bluntly, it was rubbish and is hardly worth the 2 stars that i gave it. Over the period of reading this, i wanted to put this down, several times.

The blurb/description that the author wrote on the back of the book made me really intriqued and anticipated to read it, but unfortunatly Nick Stone didn't deliver. To me it reminded me of the adverts that false advertise. The blurb mentions an apparent antagontist, giving a description about the character Solomon Boukm
Robert Intriago
Aug 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-noir, 2011
It is hard to give this books high marks after you have read his previous two book, which got five stars. This book lacks the ferocity, darkness and the evil characters of the first two books. One of the reason maybe the fact that Mingus is now 60 years old and like me his reflexes have slowed down considerably.

I was going to give this book 2 stars but then the last 80 pages changed my mind . The begining is not bad and the author does a good job of setting up the story and the characters for wh
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: hörbücher
Wer Bücher um den einsamen Wolf mag, der allein gegen alle agiert und von einer gefährlichen Situation in die nächste stolpert und erst am Ende die Zusammenhänge sieht, der ist mit diesem Buch bestens beraten. Da viel Spanisch gesprochen wird, ist es auch keine schlechte Entscheidung, sich das Buch von Christian Baumann vorlesen zu lassen, denn er macht seine Sache wirklich gut.

Ich gebe 07/10 Punkte. Mehr erfahrt ihr wie immer in meinem Blog: .
Nov 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This books actually pretty good, first half is strong, drifts throughs a bit to the end though. One standout is the descriptions of Cuba itself, vivid and very educational.

The biggest issue I have with this book is that the title and blurb have almost nothing to do with the content of the story, I genuinely thought I was reading a misprinted version that had been given the wrong cover. The title is cheap and cynical and I doubt chosen by the author.
Susan Kent
Bought this in a Waterstones bargain sale box for £1. Didn't realise it was the 3rd book about the main character, but the back story gave all the important details. Story was good in places, not so in others and I thought the ending was a bit rushed, and that the writer had run out of ideas. Despite this, it was pleasant enough and I learnt something about Cuba.
Rachel Nowakowski
Jan 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
I liked this book. It started off with a rather striking opening and then never let up on its pace. The characters were interesting, the story lovely and convoluted, the political intrigues were fascinating. I really enjoyed learning about cuba through the story. It was poignant in places too which I always think is the sign of a good book.
Aug 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Haven't read the first two books, which probably explains why I was waiting the whole time for explanation of this Solomon Boukman who was in the blurb. A readable, albeit typical crime novel, which wasn't mind-blowing but had a sense of realism in its characters. Good ending.
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it
ok thriller set in miami and cuba with a retired cop hunting down the truth about his expartners murder
Dec 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Aug 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Map
  • Deep Shelter
  • Dark Destiny (Dark Canopy, #2)
  • Bitter Water (Douglas Brodie, #2)
  • A Simple Act Of Violence
  • Thick as Thieves
  • The Poisoned Island
  • Payback
  • QB1
  • Der Jesus-Deal
  • The Snake
  • Easy Death (Hard Case Crime #117)
  • The Kobra Manifesto (Quiller Series)
  • Something You Are (London Underground, #1)
  • Sign of the Cross (Spike Sanguinetti, #2)
  • Empire of Secrets
  • Circumference of Darkness
  • Kings of Midnight (Crissa Stone, #2)
Nick Stone was born in Cambridge in 1966, the son of a Scottish father and a Haitian mother. His first novel, Mr Clarinet, won the CWA Ian Fleming Steel Dagger, the International Thriller Writers Award for Best First Novel and the Macavity Award for Best First Novel, and was nominated for The Barry Award for Best British Novel.

More about Nick Stone...

Max Mingus (3 books)
  • Mr. Clarinet (Max Mingus, #1)
  • King Of Swords (Max Mingus, #2)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Fractured
  • Never Smile at Strangers
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Furious (Faith McMann Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $2
  • Where Eagles Dare
  • Alone
    $17.99 $2.99
  • Moriarty (Sherlock Holmes, #2)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Idaho
    $12.99 $1.99
  • Dead Letters
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Phantom (Alexander Hawke, #7)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $3.99 $2.00
  • The Barkeep
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Day (Jessie Cole, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Moving Day
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Man-Eater: The Life and Legend of an American Cannibal
  • Smoke
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unrivaled (Beautiful Idols #1)
    $2.99 $0.99