Start by marking “The Weight of Glory” as Want to Read:

The Weight of Glory

Selected from sermons delivered by C. S. Lewis during World War II, these nine addresses offer guidance and inspiration in a time of great doubt. These are ardent and lucid sermons that provide a compassionate vision of Christianity.

Addressing some of the most difficult issues we face in our day-to-day lives, C.S. Lewis's ardent and timeless words provide an unparalleled p
Published March 3rd 2001 by HarperSanFrancisco (first published 1949)

Maureen
Jul 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
BOOK #1 FOR BOOKTUBEATHON 2016

This was pretty fantastic! I didn't enjoy it as much as other Lewis books, but you gotta admit that he is super eloquent. He has a way of getting to the heart of things that is unlike any other. The last few essays really hit me hard, and I love him for that.
Will always love CS Lewis
Douglas Wilson
Feb 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Just great. Also read in November of 1995. Great. Also read in February of 1994. Also read in June of 1981. Listened to the Audible version in February of 2016. Finished listening to it again on Audible in January 2018.
Cindy Rollins
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, reread
"The negative idea of Unselfishness carries with it the suggestion not primarily of securing good things for others, but of going without them ourselves, as if our abstinence and not their happiness was the important point."

I have 44 highlights in the Kindle Book and I reread it regularly. In fact, I try to read at least one CS Lewis book every January to start the year off right. This is one of my favorites. It feels like Lewis and I chatting randomly about life and stuff. Of course, I just sit
Jonathan Terrington

"To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable, because God has forgiven the inexcusable in you."

C.S. Lewis' popularity has died in more recent history. Academics accuse him of being too simplistic in his expression (a few that I have read even go so far as to say that he adds nothing to Christian theology), other readers find his style too wordy, preachy or patronising to fully enjoy. I myself, however, love C.S. Lewis' work much like I love G.K. Chesterton and J.R.R Tolkien. He is enthu
booklady
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: only if you are human
I’m recording The Weight of Glory as ‘read’ now, but actually I first encountered this marvelous essay years ago. It has been part of me for so long I don’t even remember when I first heard about it or haven't had it in my storehouse of “essential documents”. It might even have been my introduction to the immortal Lewis; for better or worse I wasn’t raised on the Narnia chronicles.

The quote, ‘We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offer
Donna
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book made my reread list. I love his eloquence. He often presents powerful messages in a gentle way. That is a gift.
--------------------------------------------------------
I've read different C.S. Lewis books over the years. He is the most often quoted author in Christian religion. This book, however, is my favorite so far. I LOVED this book. It makes me want to be better and to do better. It was eloquently written without the fire and brimstone speech.

Sometimes books like this, tend to ma
Jeremy
Read "The Weight of Glory" here (Feb. 22, 2014). Can't believe it took me this far along in my life to read it. Read "Learning in War-Time" for the first time on Jan. 13, 2018. Read "The Weight of Glory" for the second time on Jan. 14, 2018. Dr. Richard Russell covered these first two essays in our CE class at church, before he gets into The Great Divorce. Started teaching "The Weight of Glory" at Regent in Fall 2018. Still amazing.

Read "The Inner Ring" for the first time in Oct. 2018 (taught it
LydiaMae
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: catholic, non-fiction
C.S. Lewis's Weight of Glory is just wonderful. His writing style is breezy and flows perfectly. His ideas about glory too are really inspiration and thought provoking.
And the edition I was reading this in. Floppy paperback and deckle edged! Um yES.
Sally Linford
Mar 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of Lewis's most brilliant, the title essay in this collection will blow you away with its rationale for pre-earth life, our longing to be recognized by God, and the remarkable practicality of the ending: it has the biggest 'so what?' I've ever read, and all the groundwork he lays throughout the essay makes the crescendo and climax, solid and unarguable.

"It may be possible for each to think too much of his own potential glory hereafter; it is hardly possible for him to think too often or too
Emily
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: about-faith
Wow. Just wow.

That's the feeling I always get after finishing one of C.S. Lewis's works; Mere Christianity was the same way for me. It's the feeling of, "well, that was that, and it was perfect, and there's nothing more I can even say".

Read this beautiful, thought-provoking book. It'll challenge you, convict you, and help you view the world-- and the Lord-- in light of eternity.

I underlined and marked so many quotes in this book, but these are a few of my favorites:

"The books or the music in whi
Julie Davis
Oct 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I listened to the audiobook and really enjoyed thinking that I was hearing these speeches as the first recipients did. Of course, C.S. Lewis wasn't speaking the words but an intermediary is necessary since I wasn't there to hear him.

Some of these talks have names that sound as if they will be antiquated or not particularly relevant to one's own life. I am thinking in particular of Is Theology Poetry and Why I am Not a Pacifist. However, what one soon discovers is that Lewis quickly winds up cov
Nick
Jul 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, theology
A great collection of essays and papers delivered to students during the 1940's. Lewis never ceases to inspire me with his prose. He's simply a great writer. But that's not all he is. He is a great thinker and teacher too. For instance, in the beginning of his piece called "Why I'm not a pacifist" he takes the time to educate his readers/listeners on the art of logical thinking. This is one example of how he teaches beyond the bounds of his topic. This book was a joy to read. That being said, I ...more
Ron
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
"The Weight of Glory" and "Transposition" are worth the price of the book, though the other essays--mostly public addresses from the forties--merit pondering. All bring fresh insight to difficult issues of Christian apologetics, even though most were written while bombs of the Blitz still fell about the English audience.

For the Christian reader, this collection may provide more food for thought than even Lewis's famous Mere Christianity. I re-read this book periodically and am usually rewarded w
Kells Next Read
Actual Ratings: 4.25
Michelle Griep
Jan 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
I know. A lowly thinker such as myself has no business giving the great C.S. Lewis anything lower than a 5 star, yet here I am, awarding it a 4. Why? Well, honestly, in some parts I felt he belabored a point or two. Great points, obviously, but just a few a little overdone. Other than that, if you're looking for some food for thought, this is the meal for you. A few favorite quotes:

"...we remain conscious of a desire which no natural happiness will satisfy. But is there any reason to suppose tha
Ryan Hawkins
Each piece in this collection of nine essays is worth reading. Some of better than others for sure, but each one creatively introduces a new idea or thought. And as typical of Lewis, he explains and elaborates so well. His thoughts are quite profound.

My favorites were (in order): “The Weight of Glory”, “On Forgiveness”, “The Inner Ring”, and “Learning in War Time”. I also really enjoyed “Transposition” and “A Slip of the Tongue”. As for the other three (“Why I Am Not a Pacifist”, “Is Theology Po
Like any collection of essays, there are ones I absolutely loved and ones I didn't enjoy quite as much, but overall this is an excellent collection of thought-provoking essays on a wide variety of topics.

I'm fairly certain all of these are transcripts of speeches or sermons that Lewis gave at various places throughout his years and, in typical Lewis fashion, he takes you along for what is sometimes a wild and winding ride, but in the end just drops these incredibly insightful and thought-provoki
Michael Austin
Dec 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
This collection of nine sermons from 1939-1956 almost perfectly encapsulates, in separate essays, the things about C.S. Lewis that I love and the things about him that drive me nuts. I am rating it a three as a matter of averages. It contains some of the best work he ever did, and some of the worst.

Two of the essays are superb and make me want to call myself whatever kind of Christian C.S. Lewis was. The title essay, "The Weight of Glory," is justly famous for its peroration that goes like this:
Alana
In the introduction, the editor of this collection of sermons and speeches tells an anecdote of a time when he and Lewis played a prank on his medical aide at his home when he was in the latter months of his illness and life; they piled stacks and stacks of Lewis' books around the aide while he was asleep, forming a wall, in which he woke up and truly did not know where he was because of the complete decor change and had to fight his way out of a wall of books. Considering Lewis' brilliance, I l ...more
Jamie
Aug 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015, the-inklings
(The Inklings Series is a monthly series featuring the works of my two favorites, J.R.R. Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, or books about them. But I don’t want it to be just me chatting about these books, so that’s where y’all come in! I’ll announce the book at least four weeks in advance of when the discussion post will go live, so you have plenty of time to get the book and read it. Then, the following month, I’ll post a discussion post and let the fun begin!!)

You know when you read a book and once yo
Denae Christine
Mar 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Such a short book. I listened to most of it twice, shocked that it was already over. I was expecting more of what John Piper gets into in some of his works, that you cannot understand the weight of God's mercy and glory until you understand the crushing weight of your sin. Instead, CS Lewis is more day-to-day, and that wasn't what I was looking for when I picked it up. Still good material, but forgettable.
Tricia
Jun 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Favorite essays: The Weight of Glory, Transposition, Membership, and A Slip of The Tongue. But the whole book is excellent of course.
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: essays, mine
I loved this book, and I loved taking my time reading it. It is a collection of essays on life and faith. I think that even someone who does not consider themselves to be Christian would find something of value here. My favorite essays were "The Weight of Glory", "Is Theology Poetry?", "The Inner Ring", and "Membership".

The Weight of Glory
It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you can talk to may one d
Nick
Dec 27, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Any devotee of Lewis must immediately secure a copy of this collection and read it before the end of the week or death, whichever comes first. Ten bucks at the closest bookstore will secure you much delight. It is Lewis at his finest, writing (originally, speaking) as a believer, to believers, to build them up in faith, hope, and love. He is at pains to make clear what to many is obscure or lofty, and to express its relevance and practical importance. Their homiletical character is quite clear. ...more
Shaina
Jan 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
If I could break down the chapters and rate them individually as they have nothing to do with each other or one idea:

Introduction by Walter Hooper: Horrible and waste of time, like most introductions to C.S. Lewis' books.

Preface: Indifferent, slightly important to breakdown of this collection

The Weight of Glory: 5 stars
Membership: 5 stars
On Forgiveness: 4 stars
A S
Jean-Daniel Veer
The little essays/speaches are quite something! Every single piece/chapter is a treasure of wisdom worthy of the ancient times, yet answering (not to these ancient times, but) to the frivolous accusations of the atheist and the ill-informed Christian.

A great read! You should read it.
Liz Bewley
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing read. So much insight. You have have read this book slowly; allow Lewis' words to sink in. His section on "Is Theology Poetry?" is amazing. He goes into cosmology and the failure of modern science to adequately explain the origin of life. He hits on real life; our relationships -why they matter; why we care. His Watson quote petty much sums up the scientific community's hostility towards God. Here is a quote: "By universal evolutionism I mean the belief that the very formula of u ...more
C.A. Gray
Jul 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
I always love anything by C.S. Lewis... his way of expressing himself is so clear and insightful. This is a collection of essays about various topics Christians may or may not ponder, and they're not otherwise connected to one another. Some of them didn't seem relevant topics for discussion these days--he spent a great deal of time examining questions from all angles that I felt weren't worth asking in the first place (and indeed, I felt like he might have thought they weren't either--the book i ...more
LaRae
May 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: faith, non-fiction
These essays contain typically "Lewis" arguments -- eloquent, logical, piercing the very heart of the issue, and leaving one with many things to contemplate and wrestle with personally. Highly recommend.
Mike Joyce
May 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Outstanding. I particularly enjoyed "The Weight of Glory", "Why I am not a Pacifist", and "Is Theology Poetry?" A must read for any Lewis fan.
health 1 1 Sep 10, 2018 03:19AM
Effective ultra omega burn weight loss diet and tips 1 1 Jul 30, 2018 03:53AM
This approach is necessary to be completed in a short term basis. 1 2 Dec 26, 2017 02:13AM
http://yoursbetterhealthsolutions.com/kyto-trim/ 1 4 Jul 14, 2017 12:11AM
http://healthonlinereviews.com/garslimia/ 1 1 Mar 10, 2017 11:46PM
Recommendation 1 9 May 06, 2015 08:53PM
  • True Spirituality: How to Live for Jesus Moment by Moment
  • The Everlasting Man
  • The Mortification of Sin
  • Think: The Life of the Mind and the Love of God
  • The New Testament and the People of God (Christian Origins and the Question of God, #1)
  • The Question of God: C.S. Lewis and Sigmund Freud Debate God, Love, Sex, and the Meaning of Life
  • On the Incarnation
  • Planet Narnia: The Seven Heavens in the Imagination of C.S. Lewis
  • Notes From The Tilt-A-Whirl: Wide-Eyed Wonder in God's Spoken World
  • Creed or Chaos?: Why Christians Must Choose Either Dogma or Disaster (Or, Why It Really Does Matter What You Believe)
  • Evangelism & the Sovereignty of God
  • The Knowledge of the Holy
  • The Religious Affections
  • Unspoken Sermons: Series I, II, III
  • How Long, O Lord?: Reflections on Suffering and Evil

CLIVE STAPLES LEWIS (1898–1963) was one of the intellectual giants of the twentieth century and arguably one of the most influential writers of his day. He was a Fellow and Tutor in English Literature at Oxford University until 1954. He was unanimously elected to the Chair of Medieval and Renaissance Literature
“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.” 2311 likes
“We live, in fact, in a world starved for solitude, silence, and private: and therefore starved for meditation and true friendship.” 625 likes