Start by marking “Beat on the Brat and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Beat on the Brat and Other Stories

Beat on the Brat and Other Stories

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  48 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
'A fantastic writer.' Donald Ray Pollock

Beat On The Brat (And Other Stories) is the second collection to be released by prize winning author Nigel Bird, following the success of his debut, the critically acclaimed Dirty Old Town (And Other Stories).

Here are 9 more pieces from the shadows.

BEAT ON THE BRAT

Winner of the Watery Grave Invitational Contest 2011
Published in
Published (first published July 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Beat on the Brat and Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beat on the Brat and Other Stories

Col
Jul 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: b, 2016
Synopsis/blurb......

'A fantastic writer.' Donald Ray Pollock

Here are 9 more pieces from the shadows.

BEAT ON THE BRAT

Winner of the Watery Grave Invitational Contest 2011
Published in Needle Magazine Summer 2010
Nominated for ‘Best Story Online’, Spinetingler Awards 2011

HOODWINKED

First publishe
Darren Sant
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Beat On The Brat is the second short story collection released by Nigel Bird on kindle. The author’s first collection Dirty Old Town has been one of my reading highlights of the year. Reading a short story collection by Nigel Bird is like being stuck in an alley with Freddie Krueger, Jason from Friday the 13th and Michael Myers from the Halloween movies all at the same time. You know you’re going to get hacked to bloody pieces but you’re not sure which direction the pain is coming from. Dark cha ...more
Kevintipple
May 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The collection opens with the signature story “Beat On The Brat” where Stevie Boyle makes balloon animals for the kids. These days he is far from his days of playing for the New York Yankees, but he can bring some joy to the neighborhood kids by making anything they want with the balloons. But he can't change their reality or his own. As the story shifts in point of view through various characters readers learn quite a lot about life and justice in this award winning story.

Dr. Chrome has a room
Elizabeth A.
Featuring nine entries – seven short stories, a poem, and a little haiku just to mess with you – Beat On The Brat is a wonderfully diverse collection. Though I enjoyed them all, these two really resonated with me:

“Back in Black” is a beautifully layered recounting of Johnny Sullivan’s return to his hometown for his mother’s funeral. Things are a little more complicated than simply the loss of his mum, however, as it is also Johnny’s first time back since being sent up for child molestation. Thin
Gareth Price
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Another (literally) knockout selection from Nigel Bird following on from Dirty Old Town earlier this year.

Themes featured include revenge, people at the end of their tether, revenge, crazy experiments & more revenge. Keeps the quality very high throughout - standouts for me are Beat on the Brat, Hoodwinked & Snow-Angel. Snow-Angels ending brilliantly ties into the title & BotB recalls the heady days at the beginning of NY punk & had me wondering (or wishing )if it was based on f
Rory Costello
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I've read a good lot of Nigel Bird's output by now, but there's still plenty out there I haven't gotten to. What impresses me most about his work is the variety (though he does have a few favorite themes) and high quality level. There was only one story in this batch that I found not as fully realized as the others here and in other collections. This time out, revenge was a prominent motif, but Bird treated it with the left-right of humor and sadness that for me is his prime strength. This time ...more
Heath Lowrance
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
BEAT ON THE BRAT is Nigel Bird's second collection of stories, and it's nice to see that he lives up to the high standards he set with DIRTY OLD TOWN. What makes this collection work, aside from Bird's deft hand at pacing and creating believable, sympathetic characters, is the touching sense of humanity that shines through all of them. These are stories that make you feel pain, heartache, hope, fear. His characters really feel like real people, and reading BEAT ON THE BRAT connects you to them o ...more
Richard Godwin
Dec 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Beat On The Brat is a collection of muscular crime stories by the talented Nigel Bird. Each tale takes you into his characters' world, and each character is sharply drawn. Nigel Bird could cut tins with his dialogue. He shows the men and women who people his stories reach for props in a soiled world. The author writes tightly structured realistic narratives. He strips his characters' props away, while maintaining sympathy with an assured narrative voice.
Brandon Nagel
Mar 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love me some Nigel Bird. His novels are fantastic. He is a genre defying super talented writer. Never disappoints. If you haven't read him yet, here are some short stories that showcase his unique voice...the first story alone is worth the asking price.
Edward
Dec 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: noir, crime
This a great collection of noir/crime fiction from an author I have just recently discovered. Mostly flash fiction plus a poem and haiku's. I'll definitely be searching for more of his work in the future.
Sheila
Nov 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
I hadn't read anything by Nigel Bird before, so when this collection came up free and there were so many good reviews, I thought I'd give it a try. I didn't know that all of the stories would be so gruesome with people getting beat up and killed. I didn't like the stories or the writing method.
Arnie
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The title says it all! Great gritty pulp fiction short stories! Nigel pulls you in right away and grabs you by the throat!
Carolyn Rose
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Gritty short stories with nice descriptive turns of phrase.
Mathew
Thomas Pluck
May 12, 2016
Paul Phillips
Apr 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tough tales from ordinary life.

Nigel is certainly one to watch for the future.
Brent Garner
Nov 20, 2017
Melody
May 03, 2015
mjbrown
Jan 14, 2017
John
Jan 20, 2015
Nigel Bird is the author of several novels, novellas and short story collections, including The Shallows, the Southsiders series, In Loco Parentis, Smoke, Mr Suit and Dirty Old Town.

His work has appeared in a number of prestigious magazines and collections, including 2 editions of The Best Of British Crime,The Reader, Crimespree and Needle.

He is currently an editorial consultant for the publisher
More about Nigel Bird...