Start by marking “Dolphin Way: Rise of the Guardians” as Want to Read:
Dolphin Way: Rise of the Guardians

Read Excerpt

Dolphin Way: Rise of the Guardians

People have often wondered if we are the only intelligent life in the universe — well we're not, and they’ve been here all along.

Dolphin Way: Rise of the Guardians is a novel set amongst the lives of the other major civilization inhabiting this planet: the dolphins. The book is aimed at adult readers, but will appeal to young adults (teenagers) too.

Dolphin culture evolved
Published July 4th 2011 by Aquapress (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dolphin Way, please sign up.
Mark Caney It could be a while yet. I've written ten chapters but I can't make any promises. Sorry!

Michelle
Dec 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-read
This book does something different, and does it well. I'm going to list what I loved about it, followed by what I didn't love.

What I love
* The details. The dolphin civilization is very inventive. Everything from the unique way dolphins greet each other, to their naming conventions, to the way the dolphins have to go up for air every few minutes, to the way they read the "shades" of the water -- so much fun.

* Descriptive. I love books that take me to interesting places, and with this book, I lov
Milla
Sep 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
DOLPHIN WAY THE RISE OF THE GUARDIANS is a superbly crafted and multi-layered novel, with the result that it has a wide readership appeal which will satisfy children and adults alike, and have them begging for more. In this superb novel author Mark Caney, who is an experienced diver, describes the intelligence and society of dolphins and how man’s destruction of their environment is affecting them.
On one level it is a beautiful story of life under the sea as seen through the eyes of bottle-nosed
Dana Burgess
Jan 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When I first received a request to review Dolphin Way: Rise of the Guardians I was intrigued by a book written from a dolphin's point of view that was for adults. Could go either way but I was willing to give it a try. After reading it, I'd say it is appropriate for anyone from about 16 years and up.

There are certain things that amaze me about authors. One of those is how some amazing writers can create worlds so different from the world we live in. Mark Caney is one of those authors that blows
Angie
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just wanted to say that I cant wait to journey again once more with Sky and the clan!
I loved the book and felt it brings to light the concept of dolphins being non-human persons. I have made it a compulsory set book for our volunteers so they can understand the intelligence they are working with when dealing with the Dolphins of Ponta!
Thank you for such a beautiful read.
For the Love of Dolphins
Angie Gullan
Kristina Vallaste
I won this book from the First Reads giveaways. Of course I was extremely happy when I received the e-mail saying I had; I had never won anything before in my life. It is also the first autographed book now sitting on my shelf.

I have to admit though, when I first saw this book among the giveaways, I did not pay much attention to it. I'm not sure what made me change my mind, I had no idea what to expect from this book. I remember reading a few reviews before deciding to give it a try. And I won!
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
(I received this book for free as part of Goodreads First Reads giveaways).

(This review may contain spoilers).

I've read a few books in the past that focus on the lives on animals - Watership Down and The Animals of Farthing Wood come to mind. Dolphin Way is the first book I've read that focuses on animals in the sea.

Despite the fact that the characters were all dolphins, I found it quite easy to empathise with them. I particularly liked Sky - and I thought the naming of the dolphins worked reall
Steve Stivaktis
Aug 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book took me a while to read, and I didn't expect that much from it, but it ended up being wonderful.

The basic story itself is quite predictable and it falls into the archetypes of stories about belonging in a community and fighting a battle bigger than you, and sometimes in the first part of the book the writing feels a little repetitive (such as the moments of how important the Way is). It also has interesting female characters, who however fail to pass the Bechdel test. Finally, it could
The Commuting Bookworm
Oct 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I was not sure when I received this book, if it was my cup of tea. However once I started to read, I could not put it down and I have read in four days flat which is quick for me.

Its a very Cane and Able type of story but the imagery in it, and the imagination that Mark has used is wonderful. Also it makes you think about what we are doing to our environment. It also gives you an idea of perhaps how us "walkers" are perceived

Although written for the adult market, I think this would be especiall
Lucy Byrne
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I, like many others, at first eyed this book with trepidation, a book written from the perspective of a dolphin seemed like it could go one way or the other. I was wrong to worry, Mark Caney's "Dolphin way" is a great success he's taken a tricky subject matter and not only made it accessible but also maintained a page turning story throughout.
I go into schools to talk about Marine conservation as part of my work and often tell the 18+ age group to read this book, it has many facts within the pa
Felicity
Aug 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I found Dolphin Way a truly captivating tale. Between the covers of this book I lived among the dolphins. I got to know some wonderful characters, I laughed, shed tears and followed their adventures with bated breath. I listened to their fears for their home and for our planet and marvelled at their understanding of deep philosophies. This exquisite book left me with a deeper understanding of our world. If you want to read something very special then I highly recommend you read this beautiful do ...more
Ira Therebel
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals, fantasy, fiction
I don't remember when was the last time I read a fiction book told from a point of view of an animal. Maybe in my childhood. But this book got me curious and didn't disappoint. Reading such a book as an adult was also entertaining.

The book takes us to the ocean and tells the story of a clan of dolphins. They live there in their complex society by the well established rules. But times start to change and they need to find out how to deal with it. The stories touches some issues that we humans (o
Lynne Page
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2-public-library
I put this book on my to-read list because I was delighted to see I’m not the only person who has thrown around the (fictional) idea of cetaceans as sentient beings. So I really had high hopes for this novel. I myself relate better to the great humpback whales as the sentient giants of the ocean, but the dolphins really are much more prolific with a very complex social culture, so choosing dolphins certainly made sense.

Over all, I loved the idea of this novel. From naming the whales the Great W
Lance Jones
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have at last found time to reads this book. Travelling to my home in Norway provided the perfect opportunity. I opened the book and read the first pages on the plane.
I wondered how I would find this book, how could a book possibly compare to the numerous times I have been fortunate to dive with these creatures in the wild. I had to push through the first chapter, as I tried to orientate myself to the story line, was this a book about dolphins or and orientation to the underwater world?
I realiz
Cecilia (rather barefoot than bookless)
Ok I wont lie. When I first saw this book I was like... ookeey, this is different, and it is but and there is a big BUT, it is really, really surprisingly good, it was wonderful in fact. Yeah I know it is about dolphins and it is not a childrens book.

This author has made his research and it is a very thoughtfully and well written book. The book handle a lot of stuff. The way of life for a dolphin and how hard it is for them while the humans (the walkers) destroy the Eco system in the ocean.
The b
Marilyn
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Marilyn by: Goodreads Giveaway
I don’t buy a lot of books, usually I borrow them at the library or try to find an electronic version for my Kobo. But this book intrigued me, I am an animal lover and all the good reviews made me add it to my to-read list. Since I could not find it at the library I decided to take a chance and bought it on the net.
I must confess that I've been disappointed at the beginning. Things happened, but not a lot and it really seems to be going nowhere. Plus you have to familiarize yourself with the vo
Holly
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful novel! I stumbled across this book online and decided to take the risk and order it. So very glad I did. Not only does the story have an interesting and brilliant plot, but the author did an amazing job of creating a culture for these dolphins. The first half can be a little slow, basically setting the stage for the second half, which is much more exiting. I would definitely recommended this book, even if you are not into animal tales. 'Dolphin Way' is unique to it's genre.
Carolyn
Sep 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Well-written, full of insights on dolphin society, even though it is fiction. I did jib just a little at one group of dolphins, feeling they seemed too much like twisted human beings; and i don't think there is any evidence for that kind of mentality in dolphins. It can perhaps be read, in a symbolic sense, as an indictment of human beings in their less delicious manifestations, particularly the tendency to fanaticism.
Nancy
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Thoroughly enjoyed Dolphin Way. Reminded me of Watership Down but with an environmental message. No wonder I liked it ;-)
Denia
Nov 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I think everyone should read this book... Love it!!!!
Pamela
Jun 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Flawlessly written and a lovely plotline. The ending was pretty depressing. N.E.E.D. the sequel!!!!!! ;D
Rebecca McNutt
Dolphin Way is undeniably compelling, but unless you're obsessed with dolphins and aquatic life, it's a book that easily becomes repetitive and typical.
Alexie
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An absorbing escape - beautifully crafted.
Juliet Wilson
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rise of the Guardians is book one in the Dolphin Way series, Mark Caney's beautifully imagined exploration of how life must be like for dolphins.

The novel follows Sky, a young male dolphin grappling with the challenges of remaining true to traditional dolphin beliefs in the face of a changing ocean. Dolphin society is split as to whether the ocean is changing due to the greed of other marine species or the unknown activities of the Walkers (ie humans).

Sky embarks on an adventure to outwit the G
Grey
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: animal-fiction
This review is kind of a ramble and contains minor spoilers. Sorry about that.

Animal fiction has a lot of sub-genres, but I've found that most of them can be divided into two basic camps: adventures and quests (Tailchaser's Song, Watership Down, Whalesong, Wolves of the Beyond, Warriors, Redwall, Ratha's Creature, Silverwing, Ratha's Creature, Fire Bringer), and heavy philosophy (The White Whale, The White Bone, Ratha's Challenge, The Sight). "Way"'s blurb let me know that I was pretty clearly
Ellie
Nov 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: animals
Touches The Sky is a young, male dolphin living within a clan which follows the teachings of the Way, passed down through generations. He is an outsider, rescued by humans when his family were beached but he is loyal to his elders. As he trains as a Novice, those around him start to ask questions about a mysterious group of rebels known as the Guardians.

I feel a bit ambiguous about Dolphin Way. The very first page is a moving account of a beached dolphin and our main character witnessing a slow
R.A. Danger
The dolphins may follow the Way, but most don't know the Way can be change to fit the current situation. One group the Guardians are now following a prophet that had different ways about the Way and a new leader name Storm after he took out the last leader who happens to be Sky's father. This new leader has twisted the Way to include killing and believes the Way only belongs to the Ka-Tse and not the other groups of dolphins that live in the ocean.
Both Sky and Dusk would come across the Guardi
Trutze
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
I don't know if I like to give it 3 or 4 stars,
wish there was a 10 star system instead of just 5.
A 3 star rating isn't a bad one but it appears to be bad.

This book is a good read, it just isn't mind
blowing.
I will certainly pick up the next in the series,
even though I think the ending could have been a bit less of a cliffhanger.

What I love about it and why i chose 4 instead of 3 stars is
the idea and the teachings of the book.
The message to the reader is very obvious and not at all disguised in t
Elizabeth
Aug 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I was very intrigued by the concept of Dolphin Way when I entered (and won) the goodreads giveaway. I love reading books that are different from what I usually read, unfortunately I just really could not get into this book at all. I may pick it up at a later date and try again because I am sure it is a good book.
Dee Dubin
Sep 14, 2013 rated it liked it
A gentle story of the plight of the oceans and our world from the perspective of dolphins. Having had many extraordinary experiences interacting with dolphins while living on a sailboat for 17 years I found this touching and could very much relate.
Kim
Dec 20, 2014 rated it liked it
The Dolphin Way was interesting because the characters are dolphins. There is an obvious message of conservation. With any fantasy novel there is a learning curve for the language used. Dolphin drama.
Mark Caney
Nov 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Poppy
  • Xor: The Shape of Darkness
  • Entropy (Entropy, #1)
  • Shark & The Wolf: Predators and Prey
  • A Rainy Season
  • Don't Listen to Your Parents: And 20 Other Thoughts for Teens, Young Adults, and People Older Than Young Adults
  • The Kronos Interference
  • The Plectra Conspiracy
  • Sage Carrington, Eighth-Grade Science Sleuth
  • Keeping Score ~ A Guide to Love and Relationships
  • Poisonous
  • Little League Softball Champs
  • Terminal Blend (Blend Trilogy #3)
  • Velvet Rain
  • Sell Your Books!
  • Sherlock Holmes and The Missing Snowman
  • Bonds of Death (Death #2)
  • The Sea-God at Sunrise
I became fascinated with dolphins after an extraordinary experience that started one night on a lonely stretch of desert coast in the Red Sea. There I was fortunate enough to spend many hours alone with a wild dolphin. By the time I left, I wanted to learn more about these incredible creatures.

I have been a diver since I was eighteen, when I started as a hobby while with the British military. When
“I love you for what you are
Though your heart bears scars
From life's harsh tempests
I would not wish it unblemished
Each wound carved your strength
Suffering gave you wisdom
These flaws make you perfect”
12 likes