Start by marking “All the Sad Young Men (Works of F. Scott Fitzgerald)” as Want to Read:
All the Sad Young Men (Works of F. Scott Fitzgerald)

All the Sad Young Men (Works of F. Scott Fitzgerald)

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  462 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
This volume of the Cambridge Fitzgerald Edition includes the original nine stories selected by Fitzgerald for All the Sad Young Men, together with eleven additional stories, published between 1925 and 1928, which were not collected by Fitzgerald during his lifetime. This edition is based on extensive surviving manuscripts and typescripts. The volume contains a scholarly in ...more
cloth, 504 pages
Published January 29th 2007 by Cambridge University Press (first published 1926)

To ask other readers questions about All the Sad Young Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All the Sad Young Men

Aditi

----F. Scott Fitzgerald

Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald, an American writer, published his collection of short stories, Al
Martin
Jun 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great short stories, one a day in my lunch break. If you can't get enough of the Great Gatsby these are great bite size chunks for dessert.
Iulian
Mar 02, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uşor melodramatică(probabil e propice pentru epoca respectivă) această incursiune - cu răzlețe metafore pentru atmosferă - în scurte dar concise povestioare a unor vremuri strălucitoare şi suflete deznădăjduite. Fitzgerald are abilitatea de a stârni un fior în sufletul cititorului avid de căutare a echilibrului, împlinirii, pe fondul unor apăsătoare idealuri care incetează să dea un suflu nou personajelor, tocmai pentru că, aceste idealuri, sunt atât de departe, dificil de atins şi pricinuiesc m ...more
Fara7
Apr 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This volume of these 9 short stories might easily have been described as an anti-climax after the perfection and smashing success of 'The Great Gatsby' published just a year before..for many reasons_ mainly, for the frustrations that my beloved writer was undergoing at the time of writing them. He was suffering from marital and financial problems and that showed a great deal upon his words.
Two of the most famous tales, the beautifully elegiac ‘The Rich Boy’ and ‘Winter Dreams’, deal with wealthy
Kerran Olson
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-challenge
I just felt like reading Fitzgerald, so rather than picking up Gatsby again I thought I'd give this short story collection a go. As expected, it was full of sad, kinda whiny wealthy boys and I really enjoyed most of the stories. Not quite as dazzling or amazing as Gatsby but still had that Fitgerald flair that I love!
Chris Purser
Dec 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this collection of short stories.
Simone Subliminalpop
TRE STELLE E MEZZA

L’attenzione dell’autore inizia a spostarsi dai “belli e dannati” agli young men che stanno diventando uomini, che hanno un velo di tristezza, che vedono sfuggir loro il sogno dalle mani come sabbia, che hanno a che fare per la prima volta con i debiti, i figli, le difficoltà del matrimonio.
[…]
… una raccolta che è estremamente unitaria e pensata…
[…]
E la raccolta è un unico libro su una generazione, sui sogni di quella generazione e, per quanto ci riguarda, sulle molte connessio
Alex Sarll
So just like last September, I found myself reading Fitzgerald short stories as summer packed its bags. But whereas then I'd deliberately been putting off Tender, this year I was all ready to finally take its hand, until this fine slim fellow seduced me in the library. The first time I've read any of his work in one of the original selections, rather than a collection curated later, and as such a far better illustration of how patchy he could be; some of the stories here, while fundamentally ske ...more
Taymara Jagmohan
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
His chapters of being a young man in his realest sense is better than the boys around.

I love how I dealt with Fitz!

To all the sad young men, which involves Mr. Bounce (he knows himself), I'll always remember you by this one.

Such a lovely tale, for the future.

Ela
Oct 26, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: america
3.5

'Let me tell you about the very rich. They are different from you and me.'

Heartbreak, money, loneliness, boredom, deception, violence, frivolity, sexism and disappointment. I didn't particularly like the first two stories (which revolved too much around a rich man or rich woman screwing over other people) but the other stories they grew on me.

'The baby party', 'Absolution', 'Rags Martin-Jones and the Pr-nce of W-les', 'Hot and Cold Blood', "The Sensible Thing" and 'Gretchen's Forty winks' we
Jacques Bromberg
Dec 18, 2006 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wishlist
Scotty's original collection of short stories from 1922 is long out of print, but worth borrowing from your local library. A favorite story of mine is "The Baby Party".
Lena
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alltid svårt att betygsätta novellsamlingar...
Vissa fantastiska. Andra mer skissartade
förövningar till Gatsby...
Svetlana
Sep 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite is "The rich boy". One cannot be more economical with the language to describe intimate relationships. To expose human soul to love as the ultimate emotion, regardless of social status or wealth.
H
Sep 10, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to H by: M.J.
A friend read 'The Great Gatsby', loved it, and recommended it to me. I wasn't at all interested in the drama that I hear goes on in that story (my definition of 'drama' is all-encompassing), but I did want to give Fitzgerald's short stories a shot since I remember enjoying one in school. Yup, just as I thought.

Although I found pretty much all the characters unlikeable, I did enjoy reading the book. Fitzgerald has a very smooth style of writing that made me gobble up the stories so quickly. But
Spencer
Jan 05, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
This is the third collection of short stories FSF published and per his usual pattern, followed shortly after the publication of his third novel, The Great Gatsby. It includes the 4 short stories that are frequently referred to as the "Gatsby Cluster". They represent some themes and structures that he was experimenting with as he was writing Gatsby. They are The Rich Boy, Winter Dreams, Absolution, and The Sensible Thing. This particular version of All the Sad Young Men did not include Hot and ...more
Sara
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: classics
I liked it. This is the second Fitzgerald i've read and as a compilation of novellas it is good but not mind-blowing or anything. He has a very distinct writing style which became a lot more apparent after reading this. I don't know if this is written before or after The Great Gatsby but I felt like this was a pre-written and that it lead on to become that great novel.

It's all about men's success and stuff like that, so there's no female characters really, and it wasn't very keen on women when
Emmett
Dec 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modernism
Sparkling short stories, brilliantly furnished, with subtle undertones of despair and boredom just lurking behind the splendid wallpaper. A few border more dangerously upon the melodramatic ("Gretchen's Forty Winks" and "Rags Martin-Jones"), but vague melodrama being Fitzgerald's flavour of work, this is forgiven. My favourites were "The Rich Boy" and "Absolution", and "The Adjuster", which is the most heartening and optimistic story of the entire collection.
Carol Storm
Jul 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"He wanted to care, and he could not care. For he had gone away and he could never come back any more. The gates were closed, the sun was down, and there was no beauty left but the gray beauty of steel that withstands all time. Even the grief he could have borne was left behind in the country of youth, of illusion, of the richness of life, where his winter dreams had flourished."

ALL THE SAD YOUNG MEN
Sioned Raybould
May 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can't even describe how much I adored this collection of short stories. They were simply amazing - that is all I can say. Laced with his later themes and characters, these stories are a nice little dabble into the world of Fitzgerald without reading a whole book. For anyone who wants to pursue reading Fitzgerald I would advise reading these first as they are simply wonderful and are an excellent introduction to his full-length novels.
takeyourtowel
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Some of the short stories here were fantastic. Some were a little too moralistic. Some just fizzled a little (not a super fizzle - I don't think he ever wrote anything that was a super fizzle???). That being said, every one was beautifully written and effortlessly crafted. The way Fitzgerald uses language is amazing. Definitely five stars for the writing.
Krisz
May 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first I didn't really like this book. The prose was nice, but the plot... no. If I grab this book once again, I must remember to skip the firs two stories, because after them everything gets better!
Gretchen's Forty Winks was the best, and I also liked The Baby Party. These were unique and had a special kind of humour.
Vaishali
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it
The first couple of stories were a bit too plain and didn't reach out as much as the final few stories. Some of my favourites were Rag Martins and the Pr-nce of W-les, The adjuster and Gretchen's forty winks. Not a big fan of some of the male characters though.
Sophia
Sep 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
以年轻男女为主角的精彩单元剧。一半的故事有《了不起的盖茨比》的影子:小男孩被高枝上的漂亮小鸟吸引,顶着浪潮拼命划桨;衣着光鲜的年轻女郎明眸顾盼,束发带和尖头高跟鞋都金灿灿的晃眼睛——爱情在他们之间推来搡去,轻率得目不暇给。另一半里的年轻人要柴米油盐得多:妻子埋怨没原则的丈夫借钱给从不还钱的朋友,为妻子跟友人大打出手的丈夫,又打发妻子出门道歉。这些故事发生在乡下教堂里、游轮甲板上、舞池里,一张张面孔走马灯似的,鲜活得有种熟悉感。
Gabriel Morcan
Jan 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The more you read Fitzgerald, the more you come to enjoy him.
Isabelle
If only he wrote the way his briefcase looks

description
Tom
Feb 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
Great collection of short stories - most if not all were submissions to the Saturday Evening Post and other magazines. Still one of my favorite authors.
Zainab
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great
LInda Sheu
Wonderfully written! The way the words were strung together were so beautiful it made my heart ache!
Carmen Tudor
Jan 31, 2014 rated it liked it
Nice collection of Fitzgerald's short works that allows those only familiar with novels like The Great Gatsby to get a better insight into his true literary capabilities.
Luiz Filipe Tavares
"Who am I? I am five years."
  • Midnight in Paris: The Shooting Script
  • Some Sort of Epic Grandeur: The Life of F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • Circles of Hell
  • The Atheist’s Mass
  • The Collected Writings
  • Stories of Three Decades
  • Sauron Dominion (War World, #3)
  • First Love and Other Stories
  • Daughters of Decadence: Women Writers of the Fin-de-Siècle
  • The Eve of St. Agnes
  • Five Women
  • Femme Fatale
Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald was an American writer of novels and short stories, whose works have been seen as evocative of the Jazz Age, a term he himself allegedly coined. He is regarded as one of the greatest twentieth century writers. Fitzgerald was of the self-styled "Lost Generation," Americans born in the 1890s who came of age during World War I. He finished four novels, left a fifth unfini ...more
More about F. Scott Fitzgerald...
“So he tasted the deep pain that is reserved only for the strong, just as he had tasted for a little while the deep happiness.” 324 likes
“He wanted to care, and he could not care. For he had gone away and he could never go back anymore. The gates were closed, the sun was down, and there was no beauty left but the gray beauty of steel that withstands all time. Even the grief he could have borne was left behind in the country of youth, of illusion, of the richness of life, where his winter dreams had flourished.” 24 likes