Start by marking “Olivia Kidney and the Exit Academy” as Want to Read:
Olivia Kidney and the Exit Academy

Olivia Kidney and the Exit Academy

(Olivia Kidney #2)

What is it with Olivia Kidney and ghosts? No matter where she goes, they follow. Even when she moves into a brownstone in New York City, there is no escape from the weirdness that is Olivia Kidney's life. Her new living room is entirely submerged under water, and Olivia has to navigate in a boat past bobbing furniture and snapping turtles just to get to her bedroom. Comple ...more
Published April 21st 2005 by Philomel (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Olivia Kidney and the Exit Academy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Olivia Kidney and the Exit Academy

Start your review of Olivia Kidney and the Exit Academy
Mariacervantes
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is interesting because its about a girl that goes to a place where they plan how they die.
Deebrownnetwork.Net olivia brown
Olivia Kidney by Ellen Potter is an extraordinary book. It takes place in New York City. Olivia moves into a new apartment, and she does not like it at all. She has to learn how to be in Exit Academy and helps Nora ( who is in a coma) decide whether to stay or go towards the end of the book.

In my opinion I thought this book was very interesting. She meets a lot of new people and has a mystery to solve. There were no parts in the book where I got bored. Every time I opened the book
Cindy Dyson Eitelman
Dec 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-15
Recommended! Anyone under 13 for sure, plus anyone who likes kid lit and can laugh at the ludicrous, but slightly believable, ghost-full world of Olivia Kidney. It appears that Olivia has always seemed to connect too easily with the spirit world, and this time it's a doozy!

I don't know if there's a reason why the author over-populates Olivia's world with loose ends, ephemeral characters, flotsam and jetsam and suspicious objects of magical purport. Some of these people and things get
Signe
Nov 25, 2010 added it
i read this book a long time ago and just remembered it because of how absurd it was at the time (maybe 5th grade?) with the lagoon thingie and the alligators or snapping turtles or whatever... at the time i had never been to new york (i live on the west coast) and never been in a huge apartment building, so even that was foreign to me. and her being able to talk to ghosts intrigued me. i was interested in her and her bother's relationship because it reminded me of my brother and me, but slightl ...more
Bonny
Nov 11, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensfiction
I find it rather interesting that Ellen Potter decided to give her books new titles when they were reprinted. Olivia Kidney Stops For No One is word for word the same exact book as Olivia Kidney and the Exit Academy. Don't let the cover art fool you. Potter may have given Olivia a new look on the cover but all of the illustrations in the text are the same as the first edition. I am not a fan of Olivia's new image, she looks to much like a Bratz doll. But I suppose I must give this book the same ...more
Rosinell
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alredy-read
The book “Olivia Kidney and the Exit academy” by Ellen Potter is a great book. This book is about a girl named Olivia Kidney and her father George. They move into a strange building which is full of water except for the 4th floor. The 4th floor is where they sleep. Olivia hears Screaming and weird sounds in the nigh while she is sleeping. Then the next morning she finds the man that was screaming dead. I liked this book because it was mystery and my favorite genre is mystery.
Bonny
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrensfiction
This one is just as good as the first. The idea of a school where people go in their dreams to learn how to die....definitely unique. Olivia meets some more interesting and entertaining people. She even has a crush on a boy that she meets in Central Park and decides that she is going to be tall when she gets older.
Tnguyen19
Aug 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't recall who recomended it to me or I overheard someone talking good about this book. I have three words. Simple, normal, liked. You notice I said liked not loved. This book isn't what I normal read, what kept me to finish this book I don't know. Is it because it's different or because of some funny moments I don't know but it is a four star book for me.
Robert
CB SCIENCE FICTION, FANTASY -- Death, magic
***
Even when living in a very typical brownstone in a very typical neighborhood in New York City, there is no escape from the weirdness that is Olivia Kidney's life. The question to her—and so to us—is will she recognize this weirdness as a gift?
Diletta
Jul 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from the first page to the last one. It made my childhood amazing. Now I'm 17 years old and when I remember it I always smile and I think I'll search the other books with Olivia just to read them. I don't care about my age, they are just so beautiful to read.
Hilary
Nov 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Olivia and her father find themselves in a new home with a strange owner who seems to be up to no good. Slightly darker than the first Olivia Kidney, but still as fun and exciting. Fans of the first will be thrilled that Olivia's adventures are continuing.
Ashley Blake
Jan 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Olivia Kidney books, thus far, seem to get off to a slow start and then I can't put them down! Unique and imaginative and a little...weird, these books are a solid pick.
Jnase1
Apr 07, 2014 rated it it was ok
Book two continues to be just as strange, if not stranger than book one. Beetlejuice anyone? Still not my thing, but again, fans of Dahl and even Snicket will enjoy Potter.
Bridge
Apr 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-when-young
I liked it, very catching. I could barely put the book down when I was reading it.
Kristy
Jul 30, 2007 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first, but I still love you Olivia. These are some of the most clever children's books out these. Potter is a master of wit and emotion.
Jane
Feb 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm becoming a huge fan of Ellen Potter . . .
Bridge
Apr 29, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-when-young
I think it;s my favorite one. I liked it a lot.
Emma
Apr 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 10-12
Shelves: all-ready-read
This book is the best book ever! I loved it so much that i was sad when i finished it!!!!!!!!
Arimas Jones
Oct 17, 2012 rated it liked it
It was a interesting book when I was a 5th grade and ldiscrovering my love for reading. To me this book was one of my stepping stones to good books and oversold liked this book.
Anna
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesomer than awesome, but again, this has the same problem as the first book... Some parts just DON'T APPEAL to kids like me!
Jana
May 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was just ridiculous. It has crazy ideas, that I love, about things you wouldn't normally think about.
Brett
Nov 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fantasy
Interesting concept of the death process. Olivia Kidney is very likable.
Nana
Mar 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
She's basically the mini Melinda Gordon of Ghost-Whisperer.
sarah
Aug 28, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: ramona graduates
Shelves: kids
why, pray tell, did they change the name of this book to "olivia kidney stops for no one"? some strange little marketing ploy, i assume. still, it's a wonderful book.
Erin
Jul 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
When I was younger my mom and I would read this together every night till we finished it... I thou8ght it was the best book in the world back then! :)
Alyssa Joyce
Dec 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: 9 and above
This is one of my favorite books. I love this book so much!! It's so good!
Sydney
Nov 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone really
Recommended to Sydney by: My mom just picked it up at the library
This book was confusing at first but you will get it if you keep reading it. It is sort of a slow read. But you could try it.
Emily
Dec 22, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the first novels I've ever read.
Bowoo
Sep 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone who is a picky reader
Recommended to Bowoo by: no one
This is an awesome book about an exit academy. Teaches u how to die! Ellen Potter has a great imagination!
Sabrina
Jul 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ghost-y, j-fic
This was good, but kinda confusing at times...
book 1 5 Nov 03, 2008 07:05PM

• My Dead Dad Was in ZZ Top: 100% Real*, Never-Before-Seen Documents from the World of Rock and Roll
  • Creating Myself: How I Learned That Beauty Comes in All Shapes, Sizes, and Packages, Including Me
  • Infinity Blues
  • The Blackthorn Key (The Blackthorn Key, #1)
  • The Women's War (Women's War, #1)
  • Bad Cat: 244 Not-So-Pretty Kitties and Cats Gone Bad
  • Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy
  • The Riot Grrrl Collection
  • The Tao of Bill Murray: Real-Life Stories of Joy, Enlightenment, and Party Crashing
  • Into the Lion's Den (Devlin Quick Mysteries, #1)
  • Petals on the Wind (Dollanganger, #2)
  • Call of the Wraith (The Blackthorn Key, #4)
  • Negroland
  • Paid For: My Journey Through Prostitution
  • Colourful Wayuu Bags to Crochet: A guide to making tapestry crochet bags
  • Third Grade Angels
  • Flashcards of My Life
Ellen Potter is the author of many children's books, including the Olivia Kidney series, Pish Posh, SLOB, and The Kneebone Boy. Her non-fiction book, Spilling Ink; a Young Writer’s Handbook, was co-authored by Anne Mazer

Olivia Kidney was awarded Child magazine’s “Best Children’s Book Award” and was selected as one of the “Books of the Year” by Parenting magazine.

SLOB is on more than 1