Start by marking “Black Site (Delta Force, #1)” as Want to Read:
Black Site (Delta Force, #1)

Black Site

(Delta Force #1)

From former Delta Force commander and New York Times bestselling author of Kill Bin Laden comes the first novel in an explosive new series.
After September 11, 2001, Delta Force troop commander Dalton Fury was given the secret mission to hunt down and kill the most wanted man in the world, the details of which were recounted in his extraordinary New York Times bestseller
Published January 31st 2012 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Black Site, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Site

Freda Malone
Aug 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
The introduction to this novel and washed out Delta Force Operator, Kolt Raynor (Racer) needs no further intel for the reader, or else it would ruin the intrigue. What I can say is that I enjoyed the almost minute-by-minute play of the suicide mission Racer is inserted into, to rescue his Delta Elite pals who were captured, three years prior, while trying to rescue Racer and his unit on a different mission. The red herrings and strategic plans of the mission goes beyond a rescue. It was brillian ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
Jul 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action
Okay....good book if you like military action. There are some flaws, there are some cliches but over all a good read, as you can probably tell from the "4 star" rating.

Kolt is the quintessential "think for yourself" leader in Delta. Sadly he makes a decision that leads to a disaster (not really his fault, but definitely his responsibility) and it gets him cashiered from "the unit".

He then basically destructs, he crawls into a bottle. He can't hold a job, he stays in the trailer he and his best f
Veronica
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I listened to this over the weekend and wasn't terribly impressed. The main character is bland and the story is just so-so.
Tom Tischler
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kolt Raynor a Delta Force Major is still trying to recover from a
secret mission gone bad. Three years before Raynor made a split second
decision in Pakistan that got some of his teammates killed and the rest
captured. Now he has been given a second chance at redemption but at a
price. He must return to Pakistan to find his captured men and bring
them home. He is heading for a black site a secret US prison but what
he does'nt know is that al Queda is headed in the same direction. This
is the first i
Steven Jr.
More accurately, I would give it a 3.5. Three is too low and four is too high. It had an amazingly compelling plot, but the characters left much to be desired in terms of personality. The action scenes bore the mark of an expert of violence.

Admittedly, this is Fury's second foray into writing and his first into fiction, and by his own admission, he is not a writer by trade. But he has potential, and if he continues to practice the tips of the trade, I can easily see him ranking with Flynn and Th
Dan Smith
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Move over Brad Taylor, Brad Thor and others.. Dalton Fury has move into the area and he is taking over.. What an outstanding book and story. Fury is former Delta himself and was involved in the operation to stop Osama Bin Laden. He wrote a book about that, which was his first published piece. In it he gives the details of the operation.

Black Site is his first foray into the fiction side of publishing and has done an outstanding job. Cannot wait for the next episode.
Scott
Jun 04, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5 stars really....why isnt there an option for half stars?

Good action and good pacing in thus book. The plot was good as well. I loved the epilog.
Miles
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I checked this book out for my 15 year old son who is into nonfiction stories of modern soldiering. I wanted to get him to read some fiction, and thought to stick with the things he's interested in - mostly shooting and fighting. Black Site is a solid action story, and induced compulsive reading behavior in me, which is a certain kind of measure of literary worth. It's just about right for everyone's inner 15 year old boy. Dalton Fury peppers his tale with believable details about weapons, tacti ...more
Sherri Vigil
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was my first Dalton Fury book. As I scanned through previews prior to reading it, I noticed that a female reader of this type of genre was almost nil. That being said, I was kept intrigued with this one. Fury acknowledges that he wasn't interested in learning anything in his English classes in school, which I found amusing because I truly enjoyed his writing. As far as the subject, in this time of the world, it is realistic no matter what political or ethical or religious views a reader has ...more
Toby Tate
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
All I can say about Dalton Fury's BLACK SITE is - wow. I'm a huge fan of Vince Flynn and Brad Thor, and this absolutely blew me away. Gritty and realistic, written by a guy who has actually been there and done that, it's a ride to hell and back that I won't soon forget. Now to read TIER ONE WILD! ...more
Larry
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
What happens when a washed-up (due to bad judgment and lack of discipline) former Delta operator gets a second chance on what looks like a suicide mission? A lot of technically-informed action happens. Of its kind, the book is top shelf.
C Joy
Yes, I admit there were times when my attention waned but this deserves a review and I hope I give justice to it.

The suspense didn't let up, there were lots of gunfire, death, military black ops stuff that would give a fanboy a hard on.

This one is open-ended given that this is the first in the series. I'm definitely going to go over the next books when I'm in the mood for some action and plot twists.
Matt Odom
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is what all military action books should be like!

Tons of fast paced action from the first page to the last

Would highly recommend.
Alan
Dec 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loved it! This is the first book by this author that I’ve read but I will read all his other books.
Ms.pegasus
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Kolt Raynor (“Racer”), a former Delta forces Major, now an alcoholic security guard assigned to a passive role sailing the shipping lanes off the Somalia coast, seizes upon an opportunity for redemption. Three years prior, he led a failed mission in Afghanistan which cost not only the lives of his entire team, but the apparent loss of a rescue team headed by his best friend, Lieutenant Col. Josh Timble (“T.J.”). Raynor is particularly suited to the netherworld of special operations where CIA ope ...more
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
*Book source ~ Many thanks to Macmillan Audio for providing a review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Kolt Raynor, code name Racer, was at the top of his game as a Delta Force Commander when one bad decision on a covert operation plunged him into the abyss. After being kicked out of Delta Force and the military completely, for three years he took odd jobs to get by and drank his life away. Then one day there was a knock at his crappy trailer door and he was offered the chance to get back in
Ru
Jul 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Black Site" is an action-packed debut novel from former Delta Force Commander, Dalton Fury. Fury introduces the character of Kolt Raynor (whom he has stated for the record is not based on himself), a former Delta Force team member who has fallen from grace, and is brought back into the fold when new intel discovers information on a situation very close to him. This is a very entertaining book from cover to cover that feels genuine and clearly based on Fury's experience, if not himself, directly ...more
Subnormal
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When your a chapter in and you find yourself puchasing the rest of an authors work you know your onto a winner.
Black site had me hooked from page 1.
Tomy
Oct 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Took me a while to get back to this book but once I did I was very happy with it. The book follows the Ex-delta operator as he dives head first into a mess that wouldn't be sanctioned in time for any actual American team and gets the Intel needed to disrupt an upcoming attack. In the process he gets to redeem himself a little for things in the past.

Unlike the stories from Brad Thor and Rollins this is about a team guy thrown out on his own to get a job done. He's not naturally a lone wolf but h
Paul  Gallaher
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm definitely hooked on the series after Book 1 and have already purchased #2. The plot has good twists and turns and is somewhat believable. I think the author's experience in Delta operations leads believability to much of the book as I'm also a retired Special Operations person. That said, there are just a few details that are minor negatives and cost the book a star. The first minor glitches are from the reader as he mispronounces a few things in the book, like "Chin-ook" helicopters. Every ...more
Anirudh
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fast paced action novel with a coherent plot and decent-ish characters. What's not to like? This genre is effectively my comfort food. Action/spy thrillers that dont require me to think too much in order to read it.

The characters do need more work and the oversimplification of good guys vs bad was a tad annoying. Still, that seems to be the trade-off when you ask for a brutal fast-paced thriller.

Looking forward to reading other books by this author.
Clyn
Aug 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a new author to me in the realm of special forces action thriller novels. It was written by a former delta operator and the character is loosely based on a conglomeration of real people, and so the book has a credible feel of someone who had “bend there and done that”. The character has his flaws, and perhaps is a little too much of a cowboy for reality, but it is not over the top. I will certainly be following this series with eager interest.
Aarre Laakso
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Motivational reading

Afraid you don't have what it takes to be a Special Forces hero? Not to worry. Any overweight, washed up alcoholic with a bad back and an attitude problem can do it! Heck, it only takes a month of training! No matter if more friends than enemies die. Who's counting?
Blackkurtosis
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it
It's OK but lacks the quality and details of Andy McNab or Chris Ryan books. The character development is a bit weak. Generally Delta Force subject books are weaker and lack the technical details compared to their SAS counterparts, not sure because of the extra secrecy or just simply the American writers are worse. Skip it. The non-fiction Kill Bin Laden is definitely worth a read though.
Pierre Tassé
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the first in a series. Very well laid out and I am sure that Dalton Fury will have a winner in this book series. Goes into some detail to show us his knowledge of covert operations and I believe he has laid a pretty good foundation for a series. I recommend reading this first one before going to pick up any of the Delta Force series.
Softbananas
Aug 21, 2018 rated it liked it

A novel written by a previous Spec op. about spec ops should be a decent read, and for the most part it is, lots of action with all the cool gadgets. Nothing we haven't read before, but the story-line was compelling and satisfying.
However I felt there was superfluous verbiage (AKA "filler"). It can bring a well paced story to a screeching halt.
Ruben Zamorano
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A "has been " former Delta member goes to drink and then...

Kolt Raynor, a drunk, is selected to scope thenAfghan prison where his former colleagues area being held. As a solo operator he raises mayhem in Pakistan and manages to help free his buddies. This is a great spine tingling read!
Susan B
Jul 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
the best book i've read regarding Black sites,Al Qaeda,and Taliban in a while. I will definitely read more books by Dalton Fury and continue on with Racer's story. there is a lot that can be told . I highly recommend
Raul Gallego
Feb 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome stuff!

Very fast paced and kept you glued to the book! I recommend this to any fans of military action. Has even more weight since it is written by someone that has been there and done that. Love it!
Larry Lange
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very well done. I enjoyed the perspective of this book as it was probably more realistic. Kolt Raynor is far from the super hero we see in a lot of these books. Also, the CIA is less than scrupulous in its actions. I look forward to the next book in this series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• One-Way Trip (Sniper Elite, #1)
  • Days of Rage (Pike Logan, #6)
  • Independence Day (Dewey Andreas, #5)
  • Kill Zone (Kyle Swanson Sniper, #1)
  • Ice Station Nautilus (Trident Deception, #3)
  • Tom Clancy Presents: Act of Valor
  • Hunt the Wolf (SEAL Team Six, #1)
  • National Security (Jericho Quinn, #1)
  • Foreign and Domestic  (Captain Jake Mahegan, #1)
  • Swords of Exodus (Dead Six #2)
  • PRIMAL Origin (PRIMAL #1)
Thomas Greer, the former special operations commander who wrote a series of books under the pen name "Dalton Fury" and exposed the American public firsthand to the modern exploits of the military's most secretive units, died October 21, 2016 from cancer.

Starting as an enlisted soldier and instructor in the elite Army Rangers in the mid-1980s before becoming an officer, Greer later joining U.S. Arm

Delta Force (5 books)
  • Tier One Wild (Delta Force, #2)
  • Full Assault Mode (Delta Force, #3)
  • One Killer Force (Delta Force, #4)
  • Execute Authority (Delta Force #5)