Start by marking “Green” as Want to Read:
Green

Green

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  4,935 Ratings  ·  684 Reviews
Die cut pages bring surprise after surprise in this magical new book from the "Queen of the concept book"—an intricate and satisfying homage to green, the color of all creation.

How many kinds of green are there? There's the lush green of a forest on a late spring day, the fresh, juicy green of a just-cut lime, the incandescent green of a firefly, and the vivid aquamarine
Published March 27th 2012 by Roaring Brook Press (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Green, please sign up.

Betsy
Mar 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you just want to show a kid a beautiful picture book. Sometimes you also want that book to be recent. That’s the tricky part. Not that there aren’t pretty little picture books churned out of publishing houses every day. Of course there are. But when you want something that distinguishes itself and draws attention without sparkles or glitter the search can be a little fraught. We children’s librarians sit and wait for true beauty to fall into our laps. The last time I saw it happen was ...more
Manybooks
I have very much enjoyed (no more to the point, I have absolutely visually adored) Laura Vaccaro Seeger's expressively bold green-based illustrations (and thankfully, these images are also not JUST in green, but also make use of other complimentary colours, as while green is indeed my very favourite colour, I for one would not have liked Green nearly as much if the presented pictorial spreads had only been rendered in green and nothing but green).

And while I do have to admit that the accompanyi
Lisa Vegan
This is a simple concept book but I love it. It probably helps that if I had to name a favorite color I’d have to say green.

I am perplexed about why two pages have just the words green with no adjectives because I could think of at least one for each of those. Even the zebra page works because of the (cute and amusing) adjective on its page.

The illustrations are gorgeous and they have interesting (not overdone) cutouts. Truly stunning!

While the pages are simple, they are not boring. Toward the
Philip
Jul 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Autographed Copy of Green

(Yes, those are my daughters with their fantastic aunt and an autographed copy of the book.)

My sister went to the ALA Convention in Chicago this year. The author of this book, Green was there, and was willing to autograph (and personalize) a copy.

So, this review is in part me saying: Hey Sis, I don't think I'll ever say to you "don't forget to be awesome" because you never forget. (And yes, that was a subtle tribute to another Green booky thingy... Get it, Green?) And part me saying: This book i
Linda Robinson
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The star choices disappeared. All I see is "clear." Which frees me to give this book 12 stars. The benefit of reading the not-so-great Caldecott winner was that it led me to Laura Vaccaro Seeger. I wish (on all of those 12 stars) that she has a book deal for all the colors a small child can name. Orange. Blue. Purple. Yellow. Red. The brush strokes are marvelous, wide, free: I can smell the paint and brush cleaner. I love die cuts, and I am giddy about Ms. Seeger's placements and shapes. Oh, the ...more
Dolly
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
I was a little nervous about how our girls would react to this book. After all, it's a book about a color with short page descriptions, more than a narrative. I was prepared for them to call it babyish, but I asked them to just check out the awesome illustrations. Besides, green is our oldest daughter's favorite color (or one of them, anyway) so I thought she might like it.

How silly could I be? Our girls loved this book. Such a fitting tribute to the color green. The die cut pages were amazing
Kathryn
Mar 05, 2013 rated it liked it
I appreciate the concept and the kid in me loved the cut-outs on each page and how the green fit in from one page to another. But, overall I just wasn't wild about the style of illustrations and since that's pretty much the main aspect of the book, it's just a three star for me, unfortunately.
Mary Lee
If it's by Laura Vaccaro Seeger, I know I'm going to be surprised and amazed. This book takes surprise and amazement to a whole new level.

GREEN is an homage to the color green, to all of its shades and hues. Each spread is a painting that goes with the text, and each page has one or more cut-outs that include color from the next spread. The text seems to be a simple rhyming list, but as one who has worked really hard on the endings of my poems, I so admire the fact that her text is far from "sim
Ricki
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
The limited words on each page allow the reader to get lost in the beauty of the illustrations of this gorgeous children's book. I was expecting the typical greens but was pleasantly surprised to see the clever takes on wacky green, slow green, and no green at all. I glided from page to page, appreciating the clever cutouts and visual appeal of this incredible children's book.

This text could be used at a variety of levels. In my reading, I felt it is really asking readers: "How many different wa
Bruce Gargoyle
I received a copy of this title from Pan MacMillan Australia for review.

Ten Second Synopsis:
A clever foray into the colour green, its shades and symbolism.

“How engaging can a book about a single colour actually be?” I suspect you might be asking yourself. Green is not your average, colour-based picture book. For starters, it makes use of some very clever die-cut holes that lead the reader on to the next page. While die-cuts are always fun in and of themselves, the die-cuts in this particular boo
Barbara
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another stunning, imaginative offering from Laura Vacarro Seeger, this title highlights all the incredible shades of my favorite color, green. Thus, her die-cut illustrations feature the green of a juicy, just-cut lime, the darkish tones of pea green in a bowl of newly-shelled peas, and the slow-moving green of a caterpillar creeping across a flower petal, among others. Each double-page spread has a cut-out that belongs to the next page, and as readers reach the end of the book, they encounter o ...more
Wendy
Apr 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Destined to be a classic. Possibly on the level of, like, The Very Hungry Caterpillar. It might be too slight for that... but I read it twice, got up to share it with my niece, we read it twice, then went to find her mom.
Agnė
Such a beautiful and entertaining celebration of everything that is green:

Check out this video to experience the surprise of the die-cuts as you turn the pages of this unique picturebook!

Also, I LOVE the texture of Laura Vaccaro Seeger's paintings:

Lauren Paravate
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-31-40
Summary: In Laura Vaccaro Seegar’s book “Green” as the reader you will explore every page with a different illustration of something that is a unique shade of green or possibly not green at all. From sea green, to fern green the book provides vivid illustrations that take up the whole page with color.

Evaluation: I really enjoyed the illustrations in this book and I think that is what will catch a child’s eye the most. The book has little cut outs on every page that are perfect to grab the attent
Felicity Keel
Jun 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
This picture book is really good for teaching colors, and the illustrations are very detailed. I enjoyed going through the book. The book had cutouts that were well planned and it was an interactive book. I liked the style the illustrations are in. When I picked the book, based only on the title, I was expecting more, as I read the Grand Canyon right before and had high expectations. I was slightly disappointed by that, but it is a good picture book for younger children nonetheless.
The cutouts
Traci
Mar 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A visually stunning and vibrant early concept picture book all about the color green. With a dash of humor, young readers will enjoy this book.

Written and illustrated by Laura Vaccaro Seeger. Published as a Neal Porter Book by Roaring Brook Press.

#PB #concept #green
Erin
Jun 10, 2015 rated it liked it
1) “Imagine a world without color, my friends... just a blank white slate. My hair wouldn’t be brown, but rather plain white. Katie’s dress wouldn’t be pink with purple polka dots, but just plain white, and Cameron’s highlighter yellow socks would just be the regular white kind. Can you imagine a world like this? I can't! I simply love to see the vibrant colors of summer sunsets. Color is one way to add great detail to our writing, and in Green, a book written by Laura Vaccaro Seeger, she descri ...more
babyhippoface
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
What I Appreciated:
> clever use of cut-outs -- I love that leaves become fish and a butterfly becomes a flower and fireflies become apples
> introduction to different shades of green (obviously)
> "glow green" page -- This was far and away my favorite spread. The fireflies were nice, but I LOVE the barn light. It's a small thing, but it really resonated with me. There's just a simple beauty to it.

What I Felt Was...Odd, Let's Say:
> "forever green" on a page with trees that will los
April Voss
Sep 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The book, Green is the ultimate concept book with beautiful illustrations. The color green is portrayed in so many different ways that are really eye opening to children. This book's ornate details make it one of a kind. This book is a fun way for children to learn about their colors and could also be used for an art lesson.
Acrylics are the source of artistic media used to create the illustrations throughout this book. Color is a stand out feature in this book since the illustrations make up t
Sunday Cummins
Mar 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
LOVE THIS BOOK!!!! Seeger’s text and illustrations require students to slow down and look closely and think. Each two-page spread in green, a 2012 Caldecott Honor Book, is dedicated to one particular shade of green. I finished this book and then read it again immediately, slowing myself down, savoring each page and thinking through the difference between the shades of green that Seeger features. Most of the shades are revealed through a nonfiction topic – forest green, sea green, lime green, pea ...more
Hannah
Oct 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tled-642
Summary:This concept book was about the color green. It showed that green can come in many different shades. Some things are always green and some things are never green. It had some slight humor and various die cut shapes were on every page.
Reaction:I thought this was a wonderful color concept book. Even though it only focused on one color -it was great. I love the die cuts in the pages that connect you to the colors on the next page. The end of the book was my favorite section because I though
Angela Bailey
Title / Author / Publication Date:
Green. / Laura Vaccaro Seeger. / 2012.

Genre: Fiction.

Format: Picturebook - print.

Plot summary:
“Illustrations and simple, rhyming text explore the many shades of the color green” (NoveList).

Considerations or precautions for readers advisory:
big and bold pictures, concept book - shades of the color green

Review citation:
“…this book begs readers to stop and look, and then look again, discovering and delighting in the vast variety subsumed by a single word: green” (K
Sarah Sammis
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Green by Laura Vaccaro Seeger was a 2013 Caldecott Honor book. Where One Boy teaches children some basics of counting as well as words within words, this one highlights many shades of green as well as the things in life that are (or in some cases, not) green.

Like One Boy, Green has die cut shapes that help unite the pages by allowing bits of color through. Here, the shapes are much smaller and more subtle — sometimes making just a few petals on a flower or among the camouflage of colors, some re
Jim Erekson
Feb 04, 2013 rated it liked it
The die cuts are excellent uses of frame as a visual technique, which became most clear when words appeared inside some. I wished the text had been less directly representational of what was in the pictures. This did not feel like a preschool book (although I imagine it will likely come back as a board book), so some more complex relationships between words and pictures would make the experience richer for older picture book readers.
Beverly
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebooks
The concept is so simple, but the execution exceptional. Each double page spread features a different shade of green, with die cut holes, to take a peek at the next page. Some of the die cuts are in the shapes of things like leaves, butterflies, and caterpillars. I loved the "wacky green" zebra. Towards the end, she adds a stop sign which is "never green," and a winter scene in which there is "no green." An excellent concept book.
Fjóla
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful book! There's something magical about the way she uses the die-cuts. And I love the organic, earthy oil-on-canvas pictures. Only a few words, but a lot of emotion. We love ALL the books by Laura Vaccaro Seeger, she's amazingly talented!
Lu Benke
Rarely do I give a book a top rating, and--disclaimer here--I do love the color green, but this book is just right in the groove and brought oohs and aahs from me with each page turn. Fantastic! I hope there will be more.
Jenny
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it
A fun look at multiple shades of green...the words are simple, just naming the shade of green. The illustrations are what really make this book. Each page has small cut out shapes that add to the illustration... And my youngest enjoyed guessing what shade of green might be next.
Jessica Lopez
Feb 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
I never would have thought a simple book about one color could be so amazing. The author uses die cut pages that create a story with each page you turn. Her approach demonstrates the variety that exists within one concept.
What Makes You Say That? 2 12 Jan 18, 2013 11:25PM
Red Dot Books: Ea...: Watch this book trailer for Green 1 2 Oct 21, 2012 02:28AM
Red Dot Books: Ea...: See Think Wonder? 1 1 Oct 21, 2012 01:56AM
  • Oh, No!
  • Chopsticks
  • Just Ducks!
  • Stars
Laura Vaccaro Seeger is a New York Times best-selling author and illustrator and the recipient of a 2008 Caldecott Honor, Theodor Seuss Geisel Honors for both 2009 and 2008, a 2007 New York Times Best Illustrated Book Award, and the 2007 Boston Globe/Horn Book Award for Best Picture Book. Her books include First the Egg, The Hidden Alphabet, and Dog and Bear, among others.

Raised on Long Island, Ne