Start by marking “Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos” as Want to Read:
Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos

Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos

At the station, sirens sound.
Corazones start to pound.
"House fire!" says el capitán.
"¡Fuego! Get your helmets on!"

So begins a rollicking race to save a burning casa from the roaring flames-and these bomberos are up to the task, with hoses ready and sirens blaring. Spanish words sprinkled throughout the lively text-plus a glossary at the end-will enrich young readers as the
Published April 24th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens

To ask other readers questions about Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos

Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Oct 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Just enough Spanish for me...great concept that 'eases' you into basic Spanish words.
Mary
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think my preschoolers would really like this one - especially Dan Santat's illustrations - and I love the combination of English and Spanish. But one quibble: firefighters don't REALLY hang off the back of the truck anymore, do they? I mean, c'mon, that's not safe at all. The text mentions this, and the illustrations show it. But I've never seen it!
April Dawn
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Book Title: Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos

Short Description of the Book: This book is a narrative description of a day in the life of a firefighter. Throughout the book, Spanish words are inserted into sentences written in English. This book follows a sequence of events with vivid details and descriptions of the setting and events.

FOCUS: Narrative Features I would Use in a Mini-Lesson:
1-Setting- This book uses vivid language and description to set each scene in the day of this group of firefighte
Stacey Cook
Oct 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diversity
This is an exciting fiction story about firefighters. The firefighters are all from different cultural backgrounds. This story is about a brave group of firefighters that go out and battle a fire at a townhouse. There is a journey of rhyming words and Spanish words sprinkled around in the text. For example, the title page: Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos.

This would be a great story to read to students that are being introduced to rhyming words. For instances “At the station, sirens sound. Corazones
Danielle Baker
Oct 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review:

This is a great story to explain what a firefighter does and how they help in our community. This story is culturally appropriate. This is perfect for my class this year, I have a lot of native Spanish speakers. Even native English speaking children love to explore and learn new word in different languages. I would use this story during community helpers themed week, before a firefighter visit. Great vocabulary and spanish words.

Learning Experience:

I would make a chart after we read the s
Alesha
Oct 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fire! ¡Fuego! Brave Bomberos is a perfect "bilingual" rhyming book for young children. Spanish vocabulary in bold print is sprinkled throughout the text to and readers can use context clues to figure out meaning. "At the station, sirens sound. Corazones start to pound." A glossary of terms is provided at the end.

The illustrations are beautiful and I love the inclusion of a female firefighter, Carlota. Each of the four brave bomberos have Spanish names and are bilingual. They each have differ
Lara
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Another one that caught me by surprise! I love the concept of this one--it's mainly in English, but with Spanish words sprinkled here and there, all in rhyme. It's pretty easy to guess what the Spanish words mean based on the context, but there's also a glossary in the back in case you're not sure. The illustrations are cute, and the story is one that will be pretty exciting for younger kids, what with the fire truck and the fire fighting and the kitten rescuing. The language is my favorite part ...more
babyhippoface
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fire! Fuego! It's time for firefighters to get in gear and race out of the station to fight the blaze, and this team of heroes--all Latino, by the way--is ready to go!

What I really like about this book is the terrific pacing and cadence to the rhyme. Nothing is forced, it all fits smoothly, and the addition of so much Spanish vocabulary flows naturally without feeling forced. A glossary at the back defines each Spanish word. This is an excellent addition to pre-k and kindergarten units on commu
Melle
Jul 21, 2015 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everybody, especially kids who love fire engines
Bright, bold, active illustrations with (yay!) diverse characters and a great rhyming story to help build up Spanish vocabulary while also telling of an exciting day for a firefighting team. Great for any kid whose eyes get big when the fire engines go by with the sirens on and the horn blaring. A warning for animal lovers: a tiny black kitten is shown in danger (which is the worst the book gets -- I sniffled a moment while thinking of my Minne). Includes a glossary of Spanish words and a pronun ...more
Beth Kakuma-Depew
May 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012, picture-books
I'm a fan of Dan Santat's art, and I think he captures the action and heat of a fireman story, as well as drawing cool fire trucks and funny dogs. I enjoyed how the rhyming story sprinkled spanish words into the English sentences. After reading more than a few firetruck stories to my boys, the bilingual aspect made it more interesting to me. All Spanish words were in bold and translated in the back glossary.
Rachel Dalton
This was a great book I found for a bargain randomly at a book fair. This short book works on rhyming while maintaining a good story line. It also introduces Spanish words along the way, which are bolded and can be inferred by looking at the pictures and reading the sentence. For this reason, I could use this book as a tool for working on inferencing. It also is just an enjoyable read for young students!
Mary
This is a great bilingual book for kids, especially for those interested in firemen. It is written in poem form with Spanish words intermixed with English ones. At the end of the book, there is a glossary for any of the words that aren’t clear in the text. This would be a great read aloud book, especially for a classroom with bilingual students. The pictures are great, and the story is exciting!
Martha
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Alice, Librariansteph, Elissa, Marti
An action packed firemen's story that will fullfill the popular demand for books about firetrucks. For students who are Spanish speaking or schools teaching Spanish, there are lots of vocabulary words subtly immersed into the storyline with a glossary in the back defining them. This title would be a great choice to read during fire prevention week. As usual Dan Santat's cartoony animated illustations make the story come alive.
Lesley
I really liked this bilingual story about some brave firefighters who put their own needs aside to save the day for others. This would be such a useful book to incorporate into the classroom during a unit on fire safety or community helpers. I love how the story incorporates spanish and English words and features a female firefighter. This book is multicultural and anti-biased, which qualifies it as an excellent piece of literature for classroom use!
Savannah
Jul 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I really enjoyed this book. I myself enjoy learning another language and this book makes it fun. I liked how the story wasn't all in spanish just a few words so it was easier to read, understand, and enjoy. Fun to try to guess what the spanish word meant also. I really liked how the spanish words were bolded and in the back there's a glossary. Not only does it tell you what the word means but it has pronunciation help also.
Susan Huddleston
Text-to Teach
This book sprinkles Spanish words throughout the book. The words are random and mixed in the middle of sentences. There is a glossary in the back with pronunciations and the English words. This book would be great to use on days when there is a fire drill. I like that it has a female fire fighter and it shows her working as hard and getting just as filthy as the males.
Brooke
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was hesitant to read this with my storytimers. I knew enough to only try it with the older kids, but they really enjoyed it. Even the younger older kids. Kids just love firefighters, what can I say? And they liked guessing what the Spanish words are in English. And the pictures are very vibrant.
Tanya Potterf
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Kindergarten Teachers
I teach Kindergarten in Columbus City Schools and today we had Fire Fighters come to show our kids their Fire Truck and a Smoke House for education. I have more than five different languages in my classroom and I love the author Susan Middleton Elya! This book was amazing for my kiddos! The illustrations are fantastic and the rhythm of the text rocks!
Pamela
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book was a good read as well as a learning tool for children. The interspersed spanish words added a bilingual feel to the book, but not overdoing it. The faces of the characters in the book accentuated the story line.
La-Shanda
Oct 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well, hummmm... I have a bias for books that promote community heroes such as Fire Fighters,Policemen(women), and Teachers. I especially like this book because vocabulary terms are written in English and Spanish. The book is appropriate for Preschoolers, Kindergartners and possibly first graders.
Ann
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Another great book fair purchase! This bilingual story is easy to read and exciting. It also features fire trucks, fire fighters, and cats-- toddler gold. My toddler had as much fun listening as I did reading it aloud.
Heidi
Dec 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous book combining English and Spanish terms that young firefighter enthusiasts are bound to love. The rhythm and rhyme make this a fun read and Santat's illustrations are eye-catching and exciting.
Stephanie Sapp
Jul 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the story and the pictures. I struggled with reading aloud the Spanish words, glossary in the back was helpful. My dual language teachers have already expressed dislike in the random Spanish words thrown in here and there. It would be confusing to second language learners.
Christina Camp
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an adorable book that teaches about firemen. It is great to use when teaching about community helpers and also great for students who speak Spanish. Many of the words in the book are in Spanish so children must use context clues to discover the meaning of the words.
Burbank Library Children's Department
A fun, bouncy picture book for all those little bomberos out there! Plus, Dan Santat's Incredibles-like illustrations give the firefighters a thrilling sense of action as they rush off to put out yet another fuego!
Beverly
Jan 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Elya manages to put a lot of excitement into her rhyming text, with Spanish words scattered in here and there. Dan Santat's illustrations are large and colorful. This would be an excellent choice for story time.
Amber
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This one is awesome! Boys and girls will like it, there was a female firefighter as well which I appreciated. This book incorporates English and Spanish and if you can't remember the word there's an index in the back. My 5 year old loved the Spanish words and has been referring to all cats as Gattos now.
Heather McC
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Readers can witness the day in the life of the local firefighter, while learning Spanish along the way. A firefighter's work is never done, as the next adventure is just around the corner.
Tracey
Jan 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
diverse picture book in English with Spanish vocabulary (firefighters, everyday heroes; for ages 2.5 and up)
* Prominently features diverse characters: vibrant illustrations by Dan Santat depict two caucasian men, a medium-dark (hispanic?) man, a black man and an asian (or latina?) woman. Most of them aren't particularly brawny as I'd expect a firefighter to be, but it does portray the idea that people of any background can perform this job. The crowd of people gathered to watch them work are mos
Reade
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
Fire! Fuego! Brave Bomberos is a book about firefighters and what they do during a day of work. They get a call and go to take out the fire. They take it out and then have to rescue a cat. When they are done with that job they go back to eat dinner. As soon as they doze of to sleep, they get another call to fight a fire.
3 book topic ideas
1.) This would be a good book to start talking about firefighters and how they help us in our every day lives.
2.) Because this book has a lot of Spanish words