Start by marking “A Halloween Treat & Edward Gorey’s Ghosts” as Want to Read:
A Halloween Treat & Edward Gorey’s Ghosts

A Halloween Treat & Edward Gorey’s Ghosts

In A Halloween Treat, kids and cats go trick or treating, and gather loot that might be tricks—or perhaps the best treat imaginable: their very own monsters. A short vignette, published in book form for the very first time, it will be an undiscovered delight for Gorey fanatics. Turn the book over to its back cover to read from the other direction, and you’ll delve into a c ...more
Published September 4th 2012 by Bloomsbury USA

To ask other readers questions about A Halloween Treat & Edward Gorey’s Ghosts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Halloween Treat & Edward Gorey’s Ghosts

karen
Dec 08, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: aaaahhrrrtt
 photo IMG_5408_zpsvrr2oxuj.jpg

this book automatically gets 4 stars because it is filled with the artwork of edward gorey, and who's gonna argue with that? plus, it's also got the fun gimmick of being **two books in one** when you do a little flippy and that's practically exercise, so it's good for you.

photo 554ba7c8-a7a9-4a02-98d4-556957d58d8a_zpslqmbrm1v.jpg

FLIP!

photo IMG_5398_zpsgtic8atb.jpg

but is this my favorite book by edward gorey? noooooooo.

sean of the house likes it more than i do because he is able to appreciate artwork without a surrounding narrative and i can only sometimes do that. and in thi
David Schaafsma
10/11/18: It's Halloween again. Mwah hah hah.

10/11/17 review, updated: A small, two-books-in-one treat by Gorey, though it is also a trick just for the mean kids at Halloween: Edward Gorey's Ghosts, which feature just that, and, flip the book around and it's another book! a Halloween Treat, with joke cartoons in the manner of Horror Lite. Just a quick smiler, not his best work, sweeter than his usual macabre.

A Halloween Treat has one cartoon for each letter of the word Halloween, and Edwards Go
Elizabeth A
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, art, stories
This little book has two stories. Halloween Treat is a fun tale of trick or treating, and when you turn the book over and start from the back you find a curated sample of his Ghosts oeuvre. This is a fun little book, but I'd only recommend it to Edward Gorey fans. It's all about the art. The words are simply window dressing, and could be skipped entirely. The art though is something else. All that pen and ink. I would love to see some of these in a larger format as as to really appreciate the de ...more
Michael
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Some too-brief Halloween whimsicality on the one side, and on the other side (literally, as it's a flip-over book) a "curated" (which is to say, "previously published") selection of Gorey illustrations of ghosts. Probably not the best place to start a Gorey experience, but if you're a seasoned Goreyphile then there's nothing not to like.
Calista
A simple little story. This is drawn by Edward Gorey, famous for gothic illustrations of Children's books. This is a reissue of the 1981 book. I enjoy Gorey's artwork. They are a little creepy and playful.

My niece and nephew enjoyed spotting the ghosts at the back. Some of them are difficult to see and blend into the background. There are two stories in this book, one facing one way and one facing the other. A unique quirky little story!
paula
Sep 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
Four stars instead of five because when you reprint Edward Gorey, you better bring your A game. All those tiny lines will get glucked together in the dark parts of the pictures if you aren't using the best paper and the finest printer.
BookDrunkard
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Edward Gorey is simply the best!
Sem
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-book, art, humour
Gorey's ghosts are the visual equivalent of M.R. James' short stories.
ElphaReads
Oct 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-lit, horror
So delightfully creepy and whimsical. I love Edward Gorey.
Julie H.
Jun 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-timeless, art
This delightful Edward Gordy book is a two-fee, two books in one that the reader flips to reveal the second story. If money were no object, I would hand this lovely treat out to costumed kiddos on Halloween. Great stuff!
False
Gorey at his hatchmark peak. I'm saving the Halloween ghost images to make Halloween cards this fall. A double "flip it over" book where you get two for one. Such tiny charming printings.
Lizzy
May 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Gorey is always great.
Alazzar
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it
I'd never heard of Edward Gorey before seeing a .gif of his art posted on the Weird Tales Magazine Facebook page. A little research told me that the delightful (and dark!) pictures I was cycling through were from a book called The Gashlycrumb Tinies .

It was pretty much the best thing I'd ever seen on Facebook--and that includes pictures of my gym acquaintance's cousin's dinner from that day asparagus was on sale.

Deciding already that I loved Mr. Gorey's work, I looked up more of his stuff. I fo
Samantha Claire
Feb 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Read more of my reviews at Celestial Carousel!

The first half of the book, A Halloween Treat, has each page marked not with a page number, but with a letter in the word “Halloween”, and is filled with cute and creepy illustrations–some paired with brief speech-bubble stories–culminating in the final page (the “n” of “Halloween”, as it were) with the creepiest image of all.

The reverse side of the book, Edward Gorey’s Ghosts, may well be my favorite–though this half is solely comprised of illustrat
Marsha
Long-time Gorey fans think they know what to expect from him; those who don’t know his works as well may be disappointed and baffled by his lack of narrative.

But he is inventive and enigmatic as always, giving us strange ghosts who seem haunting and haunted. His other offering—this being two books in one—tries for whimsy as children and others try to celebrate Halloween. The humor provided provokes smiles rather than laughter but it’s consummate Gorey, with characters taken aback by odd little
Aug 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: elementary-age
Oh Gorey. This book was hilariously ridiculous. It will take you as long to read it as it takes you to physically turn the pages. One half is just Gorey drawings that have ghosts in them. The other half is Halloween drawings and each page has one letter of "Halloween" on it. There's not really a plot to be seen.

But then, who reads Gorey books for their plot? Really. Enjoy the drawings and laugh at the ludicrous lack of sense it all makes.
Sam Quixote
Jan 26, 2013 rated it did not like it
The number of pages in this book is the number of seconds it takes to “read” it. It’s a series of drawings themed around Hallowe’en and, when you flip it around, a series of ghost pictures. There’s no story, just pencil drawings, which look ok but to be honest I have no idea why Edward Gorey has such a following when this is the kind of stuff he produced - they’re so ordinary! After 3 Gorey books now, I remain completely mystified of this artist’s appeal.
Belinda
Sep 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: edward-gorey
A charming two sided book--one side is A Halloween Treat and the other Gorey's Ghosts. The adorably insane humor and talent we have all come to expect from Mr. Gorey. His books are almost like looking at a tremendously artistic seek and find. I especially loved Gorey's Ghosts--the amazing "hidden" ghosts in the spectacular crosshatching are stunning. As always, I smiled, giggled and traced the lines with my finger as I read. Another gem.
Amy Adams
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
The Ghosts side of this book is so creepy! The images are great! They're definitely haunting, though. I don't think I'd recommend this one to kids. The flip side, A Halloween Treat contains halloween drawings, mostly centered on cats, that would be ok for any age. Overall, a great, short, spooky book that will have a broad range of appeal.
Pam
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, holiday
I adore Edward Gorey and at Halloween he is just perfect! A Halloween Treat is a treat indeed, it made me smile continuously. I was not quite as taken by Edward Gorey's Ghosts, but I loved the idea of two books in one. Wonderful! Definitely a book I want on my book shelf!
Jessica
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Wonderfully macabre and witty! It is always a joy to discover an Edward Gorey that I haven't read before. I plan on buying this one and adding it to my collection.
Gheeta
Oct 04, 2016 rated it liked it
A fun little book full of Gorey's trademark pictures :-)
Russell
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Neither one is Gorey's finest hour.
Marcie
Aug 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016, edward-gorey
A Halloween Treat is a charming, seasonal read. I enjoy studying the details of Gorey's illustrations, each time noticing something new and always wondering if I noticed what Gorey intended.
Tammy
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Classic Gorey. "The Halloween Treat" is goofy and fun. The "Gorey's Ghosts" are illustrations only and some of the ghosts are pretty creepy.
Colleen
Sep 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love the message and Art work that went into the 2 in 1 book.
Fast and Fun book!
Limeminearia
Sep 09, 2012 rated it liked it
The Edward Gorey's Ghosts half is better than the A Halloween Treat half. Will take you ten seconds to read.
Tina
Nov 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
I quite enjoy this book, the illustrations are amazing, simple yet amazing. Reminded me of Tim Burton's work.
James
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: stand-alone
Short and sweet sums this work up the best. I have always been a fan of Gorey's art and I was not disappointed with this book.
Nov 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Two stars for "Halloween Treat" and five stars for "Ghosts".

• 28 Days Later, Vol. 6: Homecoming
  • Fully Alive: A Retreat with Pema Chodron on Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change
  • Donald Has a Difficulty
  • Baltimore, Vol. 5: The Apostle and the Witch of Harju
  • Monsters! and Other Stories
  • Our Haunted Lives: True Life Ghost Encounters
  • The Victorian Book of the Dead
  • The Howling Ghost (Spooksville, #2)
  • Dragon Puncher
  • The Old Magic of Christmas: Yuletide Traditions for the Darkest Days of the Year
  • A Fall of Stardust
  • What I Hate: From A to Z
  • Lies in the Dust: A Tale of Remorse from the Salem Witch Trials
Born in Chicago, Gorey came from a colorful family; his parents, Helen Dunham Garvey and Edward Lee Gorey, divorced in 1936 when he was 11, then remarried in 1952 when he was 27. One of his step-mothers was Corinna Mura, a cabaret singer who had a brief role in the classic film Casablanca. His father was briefly a journalist. Gorey's maternal great-grandmother, Helen St. John Garvey, was a popular ...more