Start by marking “Radiate” as Want to Read:
Radiate

Radiate

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  476 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews

At first Hayley is scared, terrified. In an instant, everything she’s worked for seems out of reach. But Hayley is strong. She’
Published April 3rd 2012 by Graphia

To ask other readers questions about Radiate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Radiate

Giselle
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, own
"This is a story of how cheerleading saved my life"

Some may be thinking "Aww poor her she was a loser and being a popular cheerleader "saved her"". Nope: We're talking cancer. We're talking honest to goodness heartfelt emotions. Although this is not about the cancer itself more than it's about the power of positive attitude. After reading this, I truly believe that we have the power to make our own miracles. It's an inspiration to all who are going through a rough patch. Don't ever believe you c
Sarah {Literary Meanderings}

♥ Find my reviews on Blogger ~ Reviews by Bookish Sarah

- - -

Radiate is the story of Hayley Matthews. Hayley wants more out of her high school experience. Things aren't bad, but they could be more exciting. Going into her senior year, Hayley tries out for the cheerleading squad - and makes it. Cheerleading makes Hayley feel free and happy, not to mention making the squad has made her level of popularity shoot through the roof. Things couldn't be any better. Or could they? The hottest, most popul
Nov 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Radiate by Marley Gibson has a really powerful message about a teen overcoming cancer (yes, it's another one of those stories) but there was so much about this book, in terms of its characterization and dialog that I have a difficult time in fully embracing this story.

Synopsis: Hayley Matthews is determined to be the best cheerleader she can. She works hard and pushes herself 110% all the time.Then Hayley finds a lump on her leg. The diagnosis is cancer. The prognosis is unclear. She could lose
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
I knew going into this book that I was going to cry. I mean how could I not with a synopsis like that one? I just knew it was going to be an emotional ride and I wasn't wrong, not at all.

This story is amazing. It is one of those stories that can make you a better person and want to live life to the fullest. To not take anything for granted and to just...love and live like we are meant to do. To be happy, with life and with ourselves.

I absolutely adored Hayley. So strong and brave and just good.
Carla
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Caution: Some language in this book may not be suitable for all readers.

So I only have one word to describe this book. Awe! I am totally in awe of the strength and courage of Hayley! Radiate is the story of Hayley Matthews who in her senior year of high school wants to do something more with her life. She has been in the high school band and made it through most of her high school years unnoticed. But she is tired of blending in. She wants to finally stand out! To be noticed. To do something MOR
Novels On The Run
Dec 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
I went out on a limb and read something that is just "normal"! No vampires, zombies, were's, fae creatures, etc!!! And I really really enjoyed RADIATE.
As the mother of a Cheerleader, Radiate caught my attention as there aren't too many cheerleader based fiction books available in Australia. And if something is going to get my 14yo to read a book - it'll be something with Cheerleaders in it!!

Radiate brings us the story of Hayley Matthews - "band geek" and desperate to be a somebody.....what bette
Julia
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I kept hearing about the book through Marley's Facebook and was going to get it when it came out. When I went to the event in Gettysburg and saw she had copies for sale, I didn't hesitate in getting my own copy - a little over a week early!

Little did I know that when I started to read it last night (March 26) that I'd finish it tonight (March 27). I could not put this book down at all. It dove into the story of Hayley Matthews that finds out she has cancer in her leg. It really goes through the
Marissa Novels On The Run
Nov 30, 2011 rated it really liked it

Nicola
Mar 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was very much drawn to this book for a number of reasons. The cover is very striking; its bright colours certainly make it stand out. The description also managed to be both sad and hopeful at the same time and there was just no way I could not read this one as I needed to know how things were going to work out for Hayley. Radiate definitely didn't let me down and I'm so glad I got the chance to read this special book.

The protagonist, Hayley, has finally gotten everything she has ever dreamed
Jaclyn
Mar 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved this book! A very relatable, real girl, who has always felt like a nobody decides to just go for it and tries out for cheerleader her Senior Year.

To her surprise she makes it and throws herself into the parties, cheering and social life expected. She is enjoying her new lifestyle until a pain in her leg at cheerleading practice brings her to the doctor and a scary diagnosis.

The story is not religious, although there are times she mentions praying and God. But there are also times when
Amanda
Sep 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Going into her senior year, Hayley wanted popularity and something more. She joined the cheerleading squad, boosting her into popularity. A few weeks into training, she discovers a lump in her leg and it is diagnosed as cancer. This is the story of how she deals with the hand she's been given and how she influences others.

Really good read.
Nasty Lady MJ
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really deserves 3.5 stars

See Full Review Here: http://yalbookbriefs.blogspot.com/201...

Note, I received a free copy via Net Galley. This did not affect my review or feelings of the book.

I liked a lot of things about this book. I thought it had a great message. Having a positive attitude is probably the best and in some cases the only way to fight cancer (besides having a kick ass oncologist) and Haley definitely has it. Occasionally though Hayley come off a bit Pollyanna-ish and makes the read
Zoe and the Edge
Feb 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
(Pre-review ramblings: I had a hard time rating this book. I kept going back and forth between 3 and 4 stars. 4 stars for the fact that this is based on a true life girl. 3 stars for sketchy plot. 4 stars for Hayley. 3 stars for lack of romance. 4 stars for awesome characters. 3 stars for that weird thing with Gabriel. 4 stars for almost making me cry. 3 stars for being cheesy.)

Review
A knock on the driver's window scares hell and four dollars out of me.

Hayley is not your usual heroine. She thriv
Joana (The Boundless Booklist)
This is the story of Hayley Matthews, a high school senior who has just made the varsity cheerleading squad at her school when she is diagnosed with cancer. The first half of the book is dedicated to the cancer discovery and treatment. Most of it is set in the hospital where she stays for a lengthy period of time because of the various surgeries she has to undergo, chemo and radiation. The author goes into great detail about all three, which is great, but it was also a little confusing at times ...more
Janice
Mar 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I've been hearing about this book for months and have been dying to read it. I was able to get my hands on a couple early from Marley at an event. Once I started reading I just couldn't put it down.
A fictional story based on the real events that happened in Marley's life, the reader connects with the characters. I've always loved Marley's characters because you can connect with them, and understand them.
I've already recommended the books to friends. This is an amazing and inspiring story of how
Michelle Sallay
Apr 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
Imagine taking cancer and turning it into a pancake and then piling candy, syrup, whipped cream, ice cream, and a couple of hostess cupcakes on top...that is this book.

It is so sugary sweet it made me crazy. Never once does Hayley think she might die because she has cancer, she is just upset that she won't make it to cheer camp. I could not like this girl, she may have inspired her town but she just annoyed me.

It felt like the author was writing dialouge like how she thinks teenagers talk, but
Colleen Houck
I was asked to do an official blurb for this book so here it is.

RADIATE is a word that aptly describes this new novel by Marley Gibson. Hayley’s startling journey as a teen fighting cancer is intense and astonishing and I found myself caught in the tight grip of hope and determination. A story as extraordinary and as powerful as this one will affect the reader long after the book is finished, especially after knowing the source of the author’s inspiration.
Patrick
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Being a man in his 40's, I'm not EXACTLY the core demographic this book is after. But this is an amazing story, and the fact its based on a true story makes it all the more amazing. Make sure you have a box of tissues near by!
Angie
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
pretty southern girl meets cancer, and faces the challenge head-on. awesome story, even with the over-the-top secondary cancer story in it, and the all-too-perfect ending. i would like to be as strong as this girl.
Nanci
Mar 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What an uplifting book this was! This is a great read, one that will stick with you. 5 stars!
Debra

For a more detailed review, please visit my blog -

Debra's Book Cafe

Debs
Jessica
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An incredible story of overcoming. If this book does not move you to tears, you have no soul!
Misty Baker
May 19, 2012 rated it liked it
On the front cover of this novel there is a quote by author Simone Elkles

“Radiate shows readers the power of positive thinking can change lives.”

This is without a doubt the most accurate statement I’ve ever seen splayed across the front of a book before. Normally they are just puff to entice the reader.

“Engrossing…thrilling ride!” “Utterly amaaaazing!” “Give me more…rah rah rah!”

What exactly are we supposed to take away from those? That the author had this book shoved down their throat by the p
Brandi Kosiner (Brandi Breathes Books)
Hayley is such an inspiring character. She's so positive and I'd hope that if I ever got cancer, I could keep that kind of attitude. This is more than a book about cancer though, it is a book about survival, the bonds of family, and about living to fight another day so that you can do what you love. Hayley was so strong, and it kinda inspired me to be a better person. She went through so much more than I have and I've been much more down than her, but I love that she still made time for others, ...more
Jayne
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
First off, the fact that this is a true story makes it about 5,000 times better. It came from the heart of the author, ( Marley Gibson ), and was based on her experience. A few people have said, oh well, it was boring. Weelllll it definately was NOT. This book was AWESOME. Hayley Mathews wants to be something more, she wants to be seen, heard, not that random face in the crowd. Soo she decides to try out for Polk High's cheer team. She made it to! Hayley puts everything into cheerleading. But th ...more
Kat Black
Feb 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book brought tears and a missed subway stop. My son is an osteosarcoma survivor. He did 8 months of chemo and two operations. His thigh bone was replaced with an allograph (a cadaver bone). He's still on crutches but his attitude was exactly that of your character. He's amazing and I'm blessed to have him. 9 Months cancer free and looking forward to forever. Thanks for sharing.
Kat
Denise
Jul 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, young-adult
This is very inspirational! Learning to deal with sickness and death...while staying positive. If only we could all deal as well as the main character here does!
WJ
I really hate to say this about a book that has such a great message behind it but.. Radiate just really fell flat for me.

The book is about Hayley Matthews, a former band geek who has finally decided to break out of her comfort zone in senior year to join the cheerleading squad. To her delight, she makes the squad and has a perfect summer lying in wait for her. She'll get to hang out with the most popular girls in school and catches the attention of the hottest boy on campus. Though the cheerlea
Bundles of
Title: Radiate
Author: Marley Gibson
Release Date: April 3, 2012
Publisher: Houghton Mifflin
Age Group: 12- 18 years
Paperback: 416 pages
Source: *2 copies* Publisher and Author

Book Synopsis: Hayley Matthews is determined to be the best cheerleader she can. She works hard and pushes herself 110% all the time. Then Hayley finds a lump on her leg. The diagnosis is cancer. The prognosis is unclear. She could lose her leg. Or maybe her life. At first Haley is scared, terrified. In an instant, everything
Mehsi
Not a long review (still sick), but I want to tell everyone what I thought of it.

Hayley is our main girl, a strong, happy girl. She gets a place in the Cheerleading Team and looks forward to training a lot and cheering. But quite soon she notices she has pain in her leg, she thinks it is just from cheerleading, but soon finds a bump in her leg.

That is where it goes down soon, doctor appointments and they find out she has cancer. Hayley's world shatters, luckily she has a lot of support, her fri
  • The International Kissing Club
  • Pilgrims Don't Wear Pink (Pilgrims, #1)
  • The Stalker Chronicles
  • Supergirl Mixtapes
  • Just Flirt
  • Jersey Angel
  • The Boy Project: Notes and Observations of Kara McAllister
  • Irises
  • Addison Blakely:  Confessions of a PK
  • Counting Backwards
  • 37 Things I Love (in No Particular Order)
  • Between You & Me
  • Belles (Belles, #1)
  • Torn
  • Ladies in Waiting
  • Pretty Crooked (Pretty Crooked, #1)
  • Wanted
  • The Springsweet (The Vespertine, #2)
Marley Gibson is the author of the hit young adult paranormal fiction series, "Ghost Huntress," from Houghton Mifflin Harcourt’s Graphia line, as well as "Radiate," which is a fictionalized version of the cancer she went through as a teenage cheerleader.

Gibson was featured on the premiere episode of The Biography Channel’s "My Ghost Story," as well as being interviewed by CNN.com for a Halloween f
More about Marley Gibson