Start by marking “In the After (In the After, #1)” as Want to Read:
In the After (In the After, #1)

In the After

(In the After #1)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  11,210 ratings  ·  1,493 reviews
In debut author Demitria Lunetta's heart-pounding thriller, one girl must fight for her survival in a world overrun by violent, deadly creatures. Perfect for fans of New York Times bestsellers like The 5th Wave and Across the Universe.

Amy Harris's life changed forever when They took over. Her parents—vanished. The government—obsolete. Societal structure—nonexistent. No one
Published June 25th 2013 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about In the After, please sign up.
Shannon Fay you know you can borrow a book from the library a second time right? You can borrow anything from the library as many times as you want, you just…moreyou know you can borrow a book from the library a second time right? You can borrow anything from the library as many times as you want, you just might have to wait a little bit to borrow it if someone is in line ahead of you, but otherwise, yeah, it's not a one shot deal, where you check a book out then you're banned from touching that book ever again...(less)
Splintered by A.G. HowardTaken by Erin BowmanMILA 2.0 by Debra DrizaThe Madman’s Daughter by Megan ShepherdPivot Point by Kasie West
YA Debuts 2013
516 books — 2,461 voters
The 5th Wave by Rick YanceyGameboard of the Gods by Richelle MeadMind Games by Kiersten WhiteThe Program by Suzanne YoungLet the Sky Fall by Shannon Messenger
First In Series (2013)
902 books — 2,318 voters

More lists with this book...

·  11,210 ratings  ·  1,493 reviews

Emily May
May 14, 2013 rated it it was ok

Two stars, eh? Looks like it must be a negative review, right? In this case, though, this isn't that much of a negative review. Rather, these are the reasons why I didn't love this book and the reasons why I think a whole bunch of other people probably will. So...

There's this book you might have heard about lately. It's called The 5th Wave. I know, I know, they've been so quiet about it, really toned down the promotion to about a thousand rotating banner ads on goodreads. So, maybe you haven't
(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books, 2018
3.5 Stars for In the After's Post Apocalyptic World

The book was broken into the 3 parts. I really enjoyed part 1 which detailed how The After began. We are literally immersed right into the action as things happen quickly. It pulled me right in. The post apocalyptic world was frightening. One day Amy is a normal high school student (The Before) then the world as she knows it ends and a new one begins (The After) filled with green carnivorous creatures/monsters and terror takes over. Part 1 d
Giselle
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, ebook
A stronger first half than the second, but overall this is a highly entertaining post apocalyptic book! I mean: zombie aliens!

The world in In the After has just been attacked by an alien species who are terrifyingly similar to zombies. These creatures eat humans, they're dumb, and they're relentless (they keep trying to get at you no matter how painful it may be to them). It is a tad reminiscent of The 5th Wave, although that book philosophizes more on what it means to be human and the consequen
Wendy Darling
I liked the first half of this book so much--it was pretty much a survivalist I Am Legend type story, with zombie-like aliens as the creatures in a post-apocalyptic setting. I also liked the choice to make the creatures day-dwellers, instead of the usual nocturnal animals.

Once Amy and Baby are taken to the compound, however, the array of unmemorable secondary characters, somewhat limp romance, and over-prolonged mystery (there's a twist that's fairly easy to guess) weren't nearly as engaging as
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
I'm not quite sure if I liked this book or not, so I'm going to give it a default "average" rating. It was an enjoyable read, the sci-fi and dystopian part were considerably more well-executed than so many other YA books out there, but I just didn't like it very much overall. Even if the world is well-fleshed out, and the idea of Them is certainly a different spin, there were still holes and contradictions concerning the characters, their behavior, and the lack of dimensionality.

The concept: The
Trina (Between Chapters)
Really enjoyed this! A fast paced read that keeps you on your toes. I'd definitely recommend it if you love the post apocalyptic genre! This starts out in a way that felt a lot like The 5th Wave so you'd definitely like it if you liked that. I'm going to jump right into the sequel because I need MORE.

Audiobook review: This is the 3rd series I've listened to that is narrated by Julia Whelan and it's my favorite of hers. I enjoyed the story in this format.
Faye, la Patata

As a person who loves zombies and post-apocalyptic fiction so much, it's not rocket science to think I was expecting a lot from this book. I tend to do that a lot to books with awesome blurbs and covers, because as they say, first impression lasts, right? Unfortunately, this book was a case of, "It was good" and "it was meh" at the same time and right now my feelings are a bit messy and mixed up. But I'll try my best as usual to explain what I liked and what I absolutely detested, so buckle up!
Blythe
What is it that generally seals the deal for you when you're reading a post-apocalyptic or dystopian read? Do you strive to find that eerie feeling of inevitability that comes with the concept that the post-apocalyptic world you're experiencing through pages is one that you could possibly experience in real life? Or do you not care about the authenticity of the world and whether or not it is reasonable for our world today to reach the havoc to the point of the world in the novel? Where all you'r ...more
Neil (or bleed)
In the After is divided into 3 parts. If I could rank them out, The Part I was the best; Part II was the good; and Part III was the better. But as a whole, I loved this book since it was a page-turner, compelling and it made me think and gave me the creeps. Even the world is fleshed-out and the characters aren't annoying. And there's no insta-love.

Part I was pure survival. I liked it best because well, survivals give me heart attacks (not the fatal one) and take me to the edge of my seat. Which
Carol (StarAngel's Reviews) Allen
**3.5 Baby Stars**

I should have paid more attention to the other reviews because I agree that the first half of the book was great but it slowed down considerably from 49-75% but then picked back up again.

I think I'm going to stop at this book especially since I already read the spoilers for the next one! A love triangle? Nah...I think I'll pass.
Steph Sinclair

Whoever wrote that blurb deserves a gold star. This sounds awesome!
Christy LoveOfBooks
Apr 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5
In the After rocked! I just knew this was going to be a good book when I first saw it, but it turned out to be way better than good.

All I knew about the book when I read it was the blurb (there’s more to it now than when I first read it), so the experience was all my own. I can’t even tell you how glad I am for that, because there were a few things that completely surprised me in a very good way. That’s why a big part of me wants to tell you not to read any reviews and just experience it for
Farren
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book does not get nearly as much attention as it deserves! It's certainly one of the best YA science fiction stories I've read in a long time. Amy was an awesome main character, so smart, bad ass, and resilient, and her relationship with Baby was what kept me reaching for my iPod, eager to listen to my library book every chance I got. The narrator did a great job and I recommend audiobook format.
In many of the reviews I read prior to starting the book I saw a lot of people who were unhappy
Tammie
They hear the most silent of footsteps.
They are faster than anything you've ever seen.
And They won't stop chasing you...until you are dead.

I was really glued to In the After during the first part of the book when it was sort of like reading a mash up of I am Legend and Falling Skies. Amy is left on her own after everyone around her has been killed by "Them". The news has reported that they are aliens who have landed to take over the earth. Soon there is no more news and as far as Amy can tell
Jessica Figueroa
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc
If I had to choose one word for this book it would be Intense.

When I first gotten read the summery I was under the impression that this was a zombie book. Little did I know that it was about aliens. I have never read a book with aliens because it isn't a topic that I usually like to come across. So reading this kind of book is a first for me. My first thoughts when reading this book was a little conflicting because I'm not into alien books or anything alien really. I would've put the book down i
Galleane
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ce premier tome m'a beaucoup plu. La première partie qui sert de mise en place dévoile un monde post-apocalyptique dur et dangereux, peuplé de créatures amatrices de chair fraîche. Les deux parties qui suivent amènent un autre genre de stress tout en gardant en fond de toile ce qu'on découvre dans la première partie. Au final chacune apporte quelque chose de différent et ajoute sa pièce à l'édifice. La lecture est aisée et addictive, l'envie d'avoir des réponses, de comprendre certains éléments ...more
Sh3lly
Aug 20, 2016 marked it as to-read
$1.99 on US Amazon: August 20, 2016.
Elena
Mar 16, 2014 rated it liked it
''I only go out at night.''

I bought this one on a whim and didn't have high expectations at all, so in the end I was pleasently surprised!
I do have to say that I abosutely loved the beginning, but towards the end my enthusiasm faded. Unfortunately. However, I'm still excited to see how everything concludes in its sequel.

In this world the human race is almost extinguished, because of extraterrestrial creatures. I loved the take on aliens in this book.
They are not ''more intelligent'' than hum
Cyn  (chinchilla hunter, shameless reader of trash)
Sat
Jun 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love it! Based on reviews, you either love it or you don't and I happen to love it. I will not go into any more details about what happened in the book as there have already been quite a number of reviews out there that will clue you in. I will however base this short review on other reviews, a comparison of sorts of what I think to what other people say about this book. So, here goes.

1. The first half is better than the second.
I didn't think so. For me, the last half is just as engrossing as th
K.A. Barson
Oct 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I read the ARC (advanced reader copy).

I got this book at a time when I was very busy. There are nearly 500 pages, and I thought that I didn't have time to get through it timely. Then I read the first page. Slurp! I was sucked in. It's a page-turner on steroids. It's the kind of book that makes you mad when you have to put it down to eat or sleep or talk to people.

Amy, the heroine, is kickass. Sure, there are a lot of them out there, but at some point, many of them become whiney. Amy doesn't.

Ot
Emma Pass
Dec 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to get hold of an ARC of IN THE AFTER, and read it in one sitting. This. Book. Is. Incredible. It's so well written and plotted – there isn't one bit of the story where I felt as if I knew what was coming, and the worldbuilding is incredibly well-done. Amy and Baby are amazing characters. I was really sorry to finish it! If you're a fan of THE PASSAGE or THE STAND, you will love IN THE AFTER.
Christine S.
Oct 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: second-9-weeks
Amy is watching tv, when the president pops up and alerts everyone to an alien attack happening. The world is a mess. Everybody is dying. In a few days the population is wiped. Luckily Amy's mom put up an electric fence in the Before so They wont come in. But Amy is home alone when it happened so surely her parents are dead. But Amy cant live on the things in her house her whole life, she has to get food when she runs out. They are super fast, like unnaturally fast, and they have amazing hearing ...more
Courtney Nicole
Jul 12, 2013 rated it did not like it

•Read half way through and decided to stop. Won't pick it back up, don't care to keep reading and am glad to leave it.
•It was really annoying and none of it worked for me.
•My updates while reading the book show all of my frustrations, and boy were there a lot.
•A giant one that really ground my gears was the use of "fan" as an abbreviation for fantastic. ... No.
Liz Fichera
Aug 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
How I spent my Christmas Eve: Devouring IN THE AFTER. Once I started this book, it was impossible to put down. Clever world-building, likeable characters, so many twists and turns. Wow. Simply, wow.
Sophie Jordan
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
CONSUMING!!! LOVED it! Highly, highly rec!!
Lindsay Cummings
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
finished in 2 days. loved it! super cool plot, fans of THE WALKING DEAD or ALIEN will eat this book up.
Stuti (Turmeric isn't your friend. It will fly your ship
3.5

Part One: Cool
Part Two: Awful
Part Three: Good

This is my problem with the rating system. I can't, in good conscience, give this book more than three stars but then, I think of all the books worse than this one that I've given better ratings to.

Yeah, but that's the thing: I read them before this one. Anyways, this 3-star review is actually a positive one.

If you have been around the YA post apocalyptic corner, you gotta know there's a certain formula they follow:

World ends, Girl* survives. [Som
Kat
I'd been eyeing In the After ever since I saw it in the HarperTeen catalogue. Even the blurb had an air of mystery about it - who are They? And considering They are the catalyst for an apocalypse, I was all over it like a cheap suit (I've always wanted to say that).

In the After jumps straight into the action as Amy finds herself in a world that has been brutally invaded by creatures that no one seems to have any knowledge about. She does get lucky in that her house is heavily protected due to he
Giselle
The first part was the survival training and keeping herself alive. I thought it was wonderful having a home that was environmentally powered which is why they had all the luxuries of electricity and water. This all changes as you read more into the story.

The second part has Amy and Baby in a community filled with people living together. At first glance it's too good to be true. But once Amy starts asking questions, she alerts the powers that be and gets into trouble. That's when the questions r
YA Book Gang!!: In The After *starts Nov 13th* 51 24 Nov 22, 2015 01:00PM
David Estes Fans ...: March 2015 Book of the Month - In The After 4 21 Mar 19, 2015 07:58AM
I can definitely recommend this book. 4 21 Oct 05, 2014 05:45PM
Breathing in the ...: In the After 1 13 Jun 29, 2014 04:01PM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. YA Apocalyptic Alien Novel [s] 4 31 Jun 18, 2014 07:13PM
  • The Ward (The Ward, #1)
  • The End Games
  • Arclight (Arclight, #1)
  • PODs (PODs, #1)
  • Insomnia (The Night Walkers, #1)
  • Another Little Piece
  • Linked (Linked #1)
  • Gated (Gated, #1)
  • Half Lives
  • A Matter of Days
  • Not a Drop to Drink (Not a Drop to Drink, #1)
  • Rush (The Game, #1)
  • Control (Control, #1)
  • Dualed (Dualed, #1)
  • Starglass (Starglass, #1)
  • Ashes on the Waves
  • Icons (Icons, #1)
  • The Lives We Lost (Fallen World, #2)
Demitria Lunetta is the author of BAD BLOOD (Delacorte Press/Random House) and the YA Sci-fi duology, IN THE AFTER and IN THE END (HarperTeen). She is also an editor and contributing author for the YA anthology, AMONG THE SHADOWS: 13 STORIES OF DARKNESS & LIGHT.

Her next novel, THE FADE, will release from Delacorte /Random House in 2018.

IN THE AFTER is an American Booksellers Association 2013

In the After (2 books)
  • In the End (In the After, #2)
“This is how I think of time: the past is Before, and the present is the After. Before was reality; the After, a nightmare.” 28 likes
“All of Them are monsters, but not all monsters are Them.” 23 likes