Start by marking “The Fetch” as Want to Read:
The Fetch

The Fetch

(The Runestone Saga #1)

FETCH: The apparition, double, or wraith of a living person.

In the attic, in an old sea chest, secreted away, are a mysterious journal and a set of runes: 24 stones that will change Sky’s life forever.

When Sky and his cousin Kristin find their Norwegian grandfather’s runes, Sky feels like the wait is over, like he can now release the breath he wasn’t even aware he’d been h
Published May 8th 2007 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published July 11th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Fetch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fetch

Start your review of The Fetch
Nikoleta
3,5/ 5 αστεράκια
Cheryl
Oct 23, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
Really 2 and a half stars. YA novel about time travel using Norse runestones. It's a bit slow in the beginning. I thought the time travel portions of the novel were more interesting than the present day portions. This is book 1 of a 3 part series. Maybe the second book will be better?
Γιώτα Παπαδημακοπούλου
Ο C.C. Humphreys είναι ένα από τα πιο γνωστά πρόσωπα στο αγγλικό θέατρο. Όχι μόνο έχει γράψει ο ίδιος πληθώρα θεατρικών έργων αλλά, έχει στο βιογραφικό του ουκ ολίγες συμμετοχές ως ηθοποιός και μάλιστα, σε ιδιαίτερους και δύσκολους ρόλους. Η Νορβηγική του καταγωγή από τη μεριά της μητέρας του και οι προσωπικές του εμπειρίες, οι οποίες σε έναν βαθμό συσχετίζονται με τους αρχαίους θρύλους της Σκανδιναβίας που ξεκίνησαν από την εποχή των Βίκινγκς, τον οδήγησαν στο να συγγράψει το "Έπος Των Ρουνικών ...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Spreeha for TeensReadToo.com

A young boy named Sky is just a normal fifteen-year-old except for the fact that he moves around England a lot and can't stay with his old friends. Where he's at now it's hard for him to make friends, because, well, he's the new kid in school.

Since moving to his new home Sky has been having weird problems with sleeping at night. He finds himself on the floor when he wakes up in the morning and his parents think that he's sleepwalking. But when they take h
Rebecca
Nov 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a tale of magic, horror and bloodshed. Fetch is a fantasic piece of teenage fiction and is brilliant for girls and boys who like history, like a thrill and most importantly can handle a death or two, or maybe three hehehehe. The chapters and short, sweet and full of drama, action, tension and mystery so there is no way you can stop reading until you finish it really. The plot was incredibly well thought out, the characters are not at all stereotypical, each unique and independent as teen ...more
Regina
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
I never finished this book...
I was probably two or three chapters from the end when it was due back to the library and I just didn't care enough about it to renew or plow through the last few pages.
I guess I was just uninterested in the characters and their lives. It is apparently part of a series and I realized I wasn't going to get the questions I wanted answered until the next book or maybe the one after that. They weren't exactly keeping me up at night so I have no desire to read more of thi
Hana Eka
Ini novel seram.

Bukan dari cerita fiksinya tapi dari mitologi Nordik (Norse) yang melingkupinya. Terasa nyata dan akurat. Entahlah, tapi tulisan dalam novel ini membuat saya merinding. Sugesti? kemungkinan besar, ya.

Kalau dari sedikit curhat penulis sih, si penulis banyak melakukan riset. Ditambah lagi memang penulis sendiri berdarah Norwegia. Tentu tahu dongeng dan legenda dari para nenek moyang.

~ Hukum persamaan itu ada, terutama ritus pengorbanan dalam setiap tradisi Nordik.
Neill Smith
Aug 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
Inside his grandfather's old sea chest, Sky discovers some runestones and a journal. When his cousin, Kristin arrives, they explore the journal and the runestones combined with a ouija board and find themselves drawn into the lives of their Norse ancestors and time travel to fight a blood feud that is centuries old.
Oct 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's so dark and unlike any book I've ever read. It keeps you on your toes with lots of unknown corners that light gets thrown to a little later in the book. Sky is a very typical boy, and you kinda feel that he too is getting caught up in the book as you, the reader, are also getting whirled into this world of the Norse.
Sara
Feb 10, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-so-good
Maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance, but I followed my 50 page rule and it was difficult. I didn't connect with the main character and though it was interesting reading about runes, which are my hobby, I didn't get a good feel from the book about what it was all about.
Livilovesbooks
Nov 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely wonderful! Just the right amount of action, suspense, and darkness.
Caitlinleah
Nov 07, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-o-week
will not be reading any more of these.
Harumichi Mizuki
May 09, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: penerbit-gpu
Ini adalah contoh Hero's Journey dengan trickster sebagai mentornya.

Awal plotnya dikisahkan sebagai sesuatu yang kabur. Tidak ada semacam "mari menyelamatkan dunia" seperti yang ada di novel-novel young adult fantasy yang lain. Semuanya dimulai dengan sesuatu yang sangat personal: menguak misteri leluhur dan jati diri.

Sky, baru saja pindah dari London ke suatu daerah pinggiran yang memiliki Kastil Ludlow (berarti nama daerahnya juga "Ludlow"?). Ia tidak terlalu cepat beradaptasi. Logat London
Desiana Putri
Entertaining:))))
I did not finish this book. I stopped around page 90 or so and just lost interest in this book.. I also fell into a reading slump.

It's possible I'll pick up the book later on when I have more time. I'm either reading very slow or the pacing is very slow...
Zack S
May 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book itself was a great book, and I have found myself reading it over more than once for the simple fact that the plot was very easy to enjoy. The characters are relateable, the topic is interesting, the idea of runestones acting as magical gateways to the past is utterly fascinating. I have read the series over many times, and recommended it to many of my peers. While the writing is a tad bit immature at the start, I notice that the writing style matured as the main character did, and I bel ...more
Kaitlyn
Nov 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I never wanted to finish this book. It was that bad. That's coming from someone who finishes series of books even though she doesn't really like it. It was that bad. There seemed to be no hook on it. The chapters had no mystery at the end so you don't want to read on and the main plot is revealed on page 62 and goes into more depth on it about 10 or 15 pages later. I really didn't care for this book.
Cherish
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Apparently Norse culture is something I am infatuated with at the moment as I am watching "Vikings" on The History Channel and have read Raven Boys (about teens trying to find Valhalla) and now this series. I thoroughly enjoyed the runes and historical points in this book as I happen to own an old hardback book on runes, myself.
Laurel
Aug 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heaven's above! I loved this book! Chris Humphreys you give me hope! This man writes in the same style that I do and it is great to know that these kinds of books get published and enjoyed by millions! It had an intriguing and well-researched plot, engaging characters, and was seriously creepy. Who could ask for more?
Selvianty Yusuf
yang bilang buku ini bagus, sini gue colok matanya pake elder wand nya harry potter. BIASA aja. merujuk to BORING. tapi mungkin karena ini buku pertama, belum ada gregetnya. Caranya melukiskan tindakan atau perasaan si peran utama tidak memuaskan saya dan kadang malah bingung. Atau itu karena terjemahannya yang... euleh-euleh? So dua bintang saja cukup. Namun saya akan tetap membaca lanjutannya.
Jackie
May 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this in less than a day and loved every minute of it. I would have loved it even more if I'd read it in my teens when I was obsessed by runes, Vikings, shape-shifting, magic and death.

Did I tell you it has Vikings in it? What more could you want?
Kaze
Aug 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nordic
Entrancing and entertaining. This book was informative, and explained parts such as the runes clearly enough that people just learning about them could follow along with out any problems. Truly worth the read.
Zen
The main character was boring and the plot dragged.
Savita
Jul 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: magic
Loved this!
Shannara
May 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book taught me so much of the Viking livelyhood. It was fascinating, twisting and a very good read.
Indah Threez Lestari
128 - 2014
Anna C
Oct 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel
Not bad. Di ending buku rada kaget juga saat kebenaran terungkap secara perlahan-lahan...
Panagiotis
Πολύ καλό για εφηβικό ανάγνωσμα, στην εποχή μου δεν υπήρχαν τέτοια για αυτό έπεσα κατευθείαν στα βαθιά στο κόσμο του fantasy, θα γινόταν ωραία ταινία
Anne
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was pretty good at the beginning, but then it got a bit too weird to be really great at the end. Worth a read, but maybe not on the "Top Five Books Ever Written" list.
Sareh
Feb 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was kinda creepy but really interesting. I'm not exactly sure how to describe it. But the whole idea of a "fetch" is really cool.

• The Rithmatist (The Rithmatist, #1)
  • The Independent (NSJ 2122)
  • Ayat Amat Cinta: Sebuah Komedi Cinta yang Menyentuh Hati
  • Confeito
  • Dealova
  • Japan Aftershock
aka Chris Humphreys

Chris (C.C.) Humphreys was born in Toronto, lived till he was seven in Los Angeles, then grew up in the UK. All four grandparents were actors, and since his father was an actor as well, it was inevitable he would follow the bloodline.

Chris (C.C.) Humphreys has played Hamlet in Calgary, a gladiator in Tunisia, waltzed in London’s West End, conned the landlord of the Rovers Retur

The Runestone Saga (3 books)
  • Vendetta (The Runestone Saga, #2)
  • Possession (The Runestone Saga, #3)

News & Interviews