Jump to ratings and reviews

Footprints on the Mountain: Preaching and Teaching the Sunday Readings

A complete and practical scriptural guide to the lectionary that includes background on all three cycles and suggestions for application to life today. Includes optional readings for years B and C: The Holy Family, Baptism of the Lord, Ascension, and Pentecost. +

848 pages, Paperback

First published March 1, 1994

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Roland J. Faley, TOR, is a Franciscan friar and biblical scholar who has taught in seminaries and universities in the United States and abroad. He has degrees from Catholic University, St. Thomas University in Rome, and the Biblical Institute in Rome. He was the minister general of his religious order and is the author of Footprints on the Mountain, Bonding With God, and Apocalypse Then and Now (all Paulist Press).

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
4 (66%)
4 stars
3 stars
2 (33%)
2 stars
1 star
Displaying 1 of 1 review
Profile Image for Julie Davis.
Author 4 books263 followers
October 20, 2011
Our priest recently mentioned several reference works that provide good "sparks" for one's own pondering on Scripture. Writing by Roland Faley was among them, although no specific title was mentioned.

I took a chance and got Footprints on the Mountain: Preaching and Teaching the Sunday Readings.

Holy Moly, people, this is solid gold! Why haven't I come across this before?

Probably because the few reviewers and blurbs mention what a great resource it is for homilists, liturgists, teachers, and catechumenal directors (yawn).

True enough this book does provide scriptural background on all the readings for each Sunday (nicely divided up into A, B, and C years), as well as at least eight ideas for directions one's own teachings might take. However, that background also discusses why they complement each other and specific insights to be found for each.

Plus, this is summed up in a brief but pithy reflection on what these readings and points mean to believers.

In essence, it is like the perfect Bible study guide. I find it extremely inspiring and had to refrain from sitting down and just reading it through like a novel. Toward that end, however, I have ordered Faley's Reflections on the Weekday Lectionary Readings so I can get some of this goodness every day. This covers the A and B year readings.

I will be using this throughout the year in personal preparation for Sunday Mass.
Displaying 1 of 1 review

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.