Start by marking “In the Stacks: Short Stories about Libraries and Librarians” as Want to Read:
In the Stacks: Short Stories about Libraries and Librarians

In the Stacks: Short Stories about Libraries and Librarians

3.27  ·  Rating details ·  261 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
Libraries, with their miles and miles of books are, for writers and readers alike, the magical portal to new worlds-the source of terrors, delights, and pleasures aplenty. Here, in one volume, noted author and librarian Michael Cart has assembled a fascinating collection of twentieth century short fiction about libraries and librarians: from such classics as Borges's "The ...more
Published April 22nd 2002 by Overlook Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about In the Stacks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Stacks

Heather
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a library dork. I eat, sleep & work library, so of course, I had to read this book of short stories about libraries and librarians. So many good stories but my favorite was "Exchange" by Ray Bradbury. It gave me such a sweet sadness; it is a beautiful story. After I read that story I had to just close the book & let the feelings wash over me. It's a rare author that can make you feel precisely what he wants you to. Ohhhh....Ray Bradbury has become one of my favorite authors.

Many oth
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
I was expecting a cute book with a cute gimmick, a book with stories about librarians. What librarian wouldn’t buy that? I was surprised to find lots of good stories, stories that would have been good whether the main character was a librarian or a garbage collector. Favorites were stories by John Cheever, Saki, and Walter R. Brooks.
Althea Ann
"Short Stories About Libraries and Librarians" - How could I pass that up?
Well, I didn't!
However, overall, I have to say this collection was good, but not awe-inspiring. Too many of the stories merely featured libraries or librarians, rather than having something to say *about* them. The collection as a whole didn't give me any particular sense of cohesiveness.

A general in the library /Italo Calvino
A very short story, well-crafted, about the unintended effect a library has on the soldiers assig
Denae
Not bad as far as themed short story collections go. I was unable to read all of the book before having to return it to the library, but enjoyed what I did read. I particularly liked "The Phoenix" by Ursula K. LeGuin, and, for entirely different reasons, "Ed Has His Mind Improved." Overall, interesting book.
Jerry Delaney
Jun 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
People sneaked looks at the title of this book as I rode the El, and then looked up at me with pity in their eyes. Clearly I was the most boring man they had ever encountered on the train. Well, the hell with them. I really enjoyed the book.
The authors range widely: Italo Calvino, Ursula LeGuin, Isaac Babel,John Cheever, Ray Bradbury. And Alice Munro, of course. The law requires any short story collection to to include at least one by Munro. Or it should.As with any such collection of authors, a
Mellen
Jan 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun book. A few of the stories were a bit boring and gloomy. But most were worth reading. I read the book for a class, looking for stereotypes of librarians. Otherwise I don't think I would have noticed how the stereotype of the middle-aged, white, spinster librarian is used in several of the stories to represent the institution of the library; I also thought that male librarians represented some broad idea of knowledge.
Kristi
Nov 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
a book edited by a librarian about libraries and/or librarians?!? my partner saw this on my nightstand and laughed, remarking "this book is like you finding a unicorn on a hike through the forest." this, among many other reasons, is why i love her.

what a lovely collection of stories that all center around books or people who love books!! I didn't want it to end.
Gwen
Jul 31, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I thought I would try reading some short stories, and now I remember that they just don't really work for me. I need something more massive. I really liked a few of these, especially one which hinged on deciphering an LC call number. Otherwise, just meh.
Erin
Jan 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: shortstories
:) The librarian's mindset is very obvious in the selections made for this book - striving to capture a diversity of genres, countries, and time periods, and letting readers form their own conclusions, rather than trying to present a coherent narrative. It was an interesting lens to view the variety of ways that libraries and librarians are perceived. I was especially interested to see the very different ways that male and female librarians were portrayed.

I'll confess the first half was a bit du
Bob Kaufman
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Some of the stories were good, others only so-so.
2015 Reading Chal...: In the Stacks edited by Michael Cart 2 9 May 27, 2015 10:32PM
  • The Most Beautiful Libraries in the World
  • Bizarre Books
  • At Home with Books: How Booklovers Live with and Care for Their Libraries
  • What They Don't Teach You in Library School
  • A Splendor of Letters: The Permanence of Books in an Impermanent World
  • The Book of Lost Books: An Incomplete History of All the Great Books You'll Never Read
  • Quiet, Please: Dispatches From A Public Librarian
  • House Beautiful Decorating with Books: Use Your Library to Enhance Your Decor
Former Director of the Beverly Hills (CA) Public Library and a Past President of the Young Adult Library Services Association, Michael Cart is a nationally recognized expert in children's and young adult literature. Now a columnist and reviewer for ALA's Booklist magazine, he is the author or editor of eight books, including From Romance to Realism, a critical history of YA literature; MY FATHER'S ...more
More about Michael Cart...