Start by marking “Tales from Watership Down” as Want to Read:
Tales from Watership Down

Tales from Watership Down (Watership Down #2)

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  6,046 Ratings  ·  302 Reviews
Watership Down was one of this century's best-loved works of imaginative literature. Now Richard Adams returns, to tell us what happened to the rabbits after their defeat of General Woundwort.

Tales From Watership Down begins with some of the great folk stories well known to all rabbits. Then Dandelion, the rabbits' master storyteller, relates the thrilling adventures exper
Published December 15th 1998 by Random House (first published August 5th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Tales from Watership Down, please sign up.

Jennifer Wells The last 40% of the book is short stories about the Warren on the down. The first part is Dandelion telling El-ahrairah stories.

Kathleen
I recommend this book to people who have already read (and loved) the prequel, Watership Down, as I did. And even then, I can only recommend it with caveats.

The title is misleading. Only the second half of the book is devoted to Tales from Watership Down -- several new stories about Hazel-rah, Fiver, Bigwig, and the others. The first part of the book is comprised of rabbit folklore, legends of El-Ahrairah, Prince of a Thousand Enemies. I skipped that first half.

For WD fans, these tales should be
Stefan Yates
Feb 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Tales from Watership Down is a collection of legends and short stories that flesh out the history of the rabbits of Watership Down and continue their story after the events of the original novel. I personally had never read any of Richard Adams works prior to this (I have seen the animated film adaptation of Watership Down however, so was fairly familiar with the events and plot.) I was very impressed with how quickly I was drawn into Adams' world. His writing style is very easy to slip into and ...more
Kristin
Jul 19, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was a big disappointment. Especially after the amazing book that is Watership Down.

The first half of the book is simply stories from the rabbits' mythology. And yes, they are entertaining, but it is very boring to have to sit through story after story with no context in the bigger story. Because for the first half of the book, there is no story. It was Adams saying, "Hey, I had more El-ahrairah stories than I could fit in the first book. I think I'll just throw them in this one.

Then,
Richard
These stories were not bad. However, I had the feeling they were an effort on the part of the author to milk his classic and truly timeless fantasy one last time. My advice would be to skip these and re-read Watership Down.
Cáitín  Ní Loingeacháin
This was a story from my past and I loved the trip down memory land.

The Rabbits of Watership Down was my favourite story grown up as child, Richard Adams was a master at telling children stories I also enjoyed the cartoon of this book.

In this set of stories we get a different take on the older rabbits who have great stories to tell the younger rabbits.
Jeremy
Feb 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I loved WATERSHIP DOWN; I enjoyed TALES FROM WATERSHIP DOWN. As the long-awaited continuation to Adams's original novel, it is only a sequel in the sense that it uses the same setting, motifs, and characters. Because trying to continue the plot of WATERSHIP DOWN would have been anticlimactic and, frankly, a crime, TALES reads more like a collection of rabbit folklore. The first part of the book is a juxtaposition of Adams's rabbit folklore mostly featuring the rabbit folklore hero El-ahrairah (b ...more
Rebecca McNutt
May 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't think that the timeless classic Watership Down could have continued any better; this sequel not only has a variety of legendary stories from the rabbit world, but it also fills in some gaps from the previous plot. If you're a fan of the first book, this is definitely a novel you'll want to read!
Lori
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, fantasy
The Characters from Watership Down are back. and they have more tales to tell. If you are a fan of the first book Watership Down, you may enjoy further stories with this book "Tales from Watership Down {Watership Down #2.I liked some of the stories more than others myself. But this one is pretty good.
Vanessa
3,5/5 estrellas.

Con éste libro concluyo con toda historia relacionada con las colinas de Watership Down.

Escrito luego de 25 años, corresponde a una colección de relatos, los cuales están separados en tres partes, que dependen de la forma en que están contados o el tema que abarcan su separación.

La primera parte corresponde a siete relatos, donde cinco tratan de El-ahrairah. Estos relatos son contados (y es lo que los une) a través de los mismos conejos en sus momentos de paz, donde un grupo de o
Steven
Tales from Watership Down begins with of the great folk stories well known to all rabbits. Then we listen in as Dandelion, the rabbits' master storyteller, relates the thrilling adventures experienced by El-ahrairah, the mythical rabbit hero, and his stalwart, Rabscuttle, during the long journey home after their terrible encounter with the Black Rabbit of Inle (as narrated in Watership Down) Finally, in the prinicipal part of the book, we are told eight enchanting stories about the rabbits of th ...more
D-day
Sep 27, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tales From Watership Down is a collection of stories, that comprise not really a sequel, but more of a coda to the events of Watership Down. The book is divided into three parts, but really Parts I and II go together. They mostly contain stories concerning the adventures of El-ahrairah. The best of which is 'The Story of the Terrible Hay Making', as well as two other stories, one of which: 'The Rabbits Ghost Story' is very good.
The third part concerns some of the events following 'Watership Down
Alfredo De Legarreta
Definitely not as good as the first book; but it is good enough for me to recommend it to any fans of the Watership rabbits. It almost doesn't feel like a sequel to me. In a very, very vague (and short) way it feels like the Silmarillion to the Lord of the Rings. Want to know about the rabbit's world lore? Then read this book.
Cristina Montes
Aug 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nathan
Jul 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remember sitting on your parent's bed, listening to stories from their childhood or of ancestors long since dead but still living in words? Adams "Tales" has a similar feeling to it. Like the Bible, it's narrative only coheres in a stretching arch from beginning to end. No single conflict drives the plot, only the recognition that we are narrative creatures and that we live according to the words of stories.

Except that the "we" in the novel is, in fact, a warren of rabbits.

Here, Adams asks his r
Faysal Subhani
This sequel is as bad as the original is good. I delved into it with so much excitement as I love El-ahrairah stories and I got this book simply because Watership Down is one of my favourite books of all time. The first two parts, recounting stories of El-ahrairah are tedious and bear a striking resemblance to shaggy dog stories; "El-ahrairah wants object X. He is told by a supernatural being/vision to go to point A. At point A, he is told to go to point B, from where he is told to go to point C ...more
Charon Lloyd-Roberts
Well I only read this because hey Watership Down got me all emotional over rabbits and well this was the sequel so of course I was going to read it, and well each chapter of this is a small separate story and well some of them where great others not so much so yeah I was hoping for a continuation from the first book maybe a where are the characters now sort of thing but I didn't get that.

A summery for Tales from Watership Down:

Tales From Watership Down begins with some of the great folk stories
Kirsten
This was worse than I remembered it, actually. Having recently re-read Watership Down, I was really struck by how lightweight and inconsequential the stories in this book seemed. Even most of the tales of El-ahrairah lacked the mythic quality that Adams was so adept at evoking in the original book. The one that bothered me in particular was the first story in the book, which tells of how El-ahrairah gained the sense of smell for his people. What really annoyed me about it was that none of the ot ...more
Я.
Dec 29, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pleasant dessert to the main helping of Watership Down, I was more than glad for this return to the rabbit warrens. I certainly felt like these short stories, despite Mr. Adams' refutations, were of an even more directly allegorical and didactic nature than the original book. Regardless of whether they were meant to be instructional or not, these little expansions felt like they were more than I deserved; extra but not extraneous, I suppose. The same literate, direct voice shines through in th ...more
Jenny
Mar 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't love it as much as the original, but was definitely excited to read more about my favorite rabbits. I think it would have flowed better if he had incorporated the stories of El-ahrairah into more character and plot development of the Watership rabbits. I really liked how he did that with the original book. I was surprised to know that Adams had written a sequel as he wrapped things up pretty well in Watership Down. However, this book sort of opens up a lot of new potential story lines a ...more
Kalen
Jan 01, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm disappointed I can only give this book a 3 because I love Watership Down. I found part 1 and part 2 of this book lacklustre. The stories of El-hahrairah were OK but had the consistent same theme of fulfilling a quest and after the first few stories it became a little boring.

I really enjoyed part 3 which provided some updates on events that happened after the en of Watership Down. I really liked these stories and I loved revisiting old characters. However I found some of the time lines a bit
Jesse
Aug 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most purely fun books I've read since I was a kiddie. Each short story is a real page turner; a glimpse into a secret world of adventure, life, and death. Anybody up for a game of Burrows & Bunnies?

Map of the down: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&s...
Just_ann_now
I did not enjoy this nearly as much as the original book. The stories describing the further adventures of the Watership rabbits were enjoyable, but the El-ahrairah stories, not so much. Overall, these seemed to lack the joyful vibrancy of the original book. How about trying some Watership Down fanfic instead?
James
Aug 28, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the original book, definitely 5 stars. This one was not so much a sequel but just a visit back to Watership Down to see what the rabbits were up to in between Woundwart's defeat & the end of the first novel. Nothing groundbreaking & definitely not as deep as the first novel, but it is a light diversion for some pleasant reading about characters we've come to love. Some of it works and some of it doesn't. If you loved the first book, then do check it out but don't expect too much.
Pje12
Mar 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I first read this I thought it was just a nice little story about rabbits. Little did I realize that when I became more mature it would be an allegory of different types of governments. It's still a nice story about rabbits too !
Jossalyn
Dec 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Re-read in memorium for Richard Adams. a more mature work, with less rigid boundaries keeping him within the world of Watership; however as delightful and warm as Watership.
RIP Richard Adams- My heart has joined the Thousand, for my friend has stopped running today.
first read 4/05
Nathan
Oct 16, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was crap. I enjoyed Watership Down so much that I guess I had higher expectations. I gave up reading half way through because the stories are terrible and it had a very different (half-baked) feel compared to the original Watership Down story. Moving on to something else!
Eyehavenofilter
Why did I read this? I don't know, I have no excuse. The original was not my cuppa tea, so what was I thinking? Hopefully that thiswould be better? Not really just moreover same... Bunnies with angst.
Ben De Bono
It doesn't quite match the impact of the original novel, but it's a welcome and well-written return to the world and characters of Watership Down
Grace
Feb 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
I am sad now because there are no more tales for me to read of Hazel and bigwig and watership down.
Catherine
Dec 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the second book for this month's book club read! More stories from the rabbits at Watership Down, also more rabbit fables! Great read very enjoyable!
  • The Golden Cat (The Wild Road #2)
  • Silverhair (Mammoth, #1)
  • The Mob
  • The Cold Moons
  • Master Mind / Fighting Man (Barsoom, #6-7)
  • Tailchaser's Song
  • Cold Shoulder Road (The Wolves Chronicles, #9)
  • The Heavenly Horse from the Outermost West (Heavenly Horse, #1)
  • Rod Serling's Twilight Zone
  • Dinotopia: The World Beneath
  • The Wainscott Weasel
  • The Book of D'ni (Myst, #3)
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Bambi's Children
  • The Book of Night with Moon (Cats of Grand Central, #1)
  • Haunt Fox
Adams was born in Newbury, Berkshire. From 1933 until 1938 he was educated at Bradfield College. In 1938 he went up to Worcester College, Oxford to read Modern History. On 3 September 1939 Neville Chamberlain announced that the United Kingdom was at war with Germany. In 1940 Adams joined the British Army, in which he served until 1946. He received a class B discharge enabling him to return to Worc ...more
More about Richard Adams...

Watership Down (2 books)
  • Watership Down (Watership Down, #1)
“It is a far, far better thing to have a firm anchor in nonsense than to put out on the troubled seas of thought. J. K. GALBRAITH, The Affluent Society” 2 likes