Start by marking “City of the Falling Sky (The Seckry Sequence, #1)” as Want to Read:
City of the Falling Sky (The Seckry Sequence, #1)

City of the Falling Sky (Seckry Sequence #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  1,034 Ratings  ·  126 Reviews
When Seckry Sevenstars is forced out of his village by the greedy Endrin Corporation and relocated to the daunting metropolis of Skyfall City, he harbours resentment for the company and vows to get them back one day for taking away his home, his school and his friends.

Published July 22nd 2011 by Joseph Evans

Martin
Apr 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
While young adult books shouldn't be judged the same as adult, the storytelling here is entirely too simplistic. Friendships are formed too quickly, trust is given too easily, and situations are resolved too neatly.

Maybe you can't expect your reader to do too much thinking in a YA book, but there has to be evidence the author has thought through character motivations and why they behave as they do. Rather than being developed, characters appear to be assigned roles: good, bad, helpful, etc. with
D.M. Dutcher
Jun 26, 2012 rated it liked it
If you can get over the blatant similarities between this and Harry Potter, and some inconsistency in world building and plot, it's pretty good. Better than it should be, honestly.

Seckry is a boy who is forced to relocate to Skyfall City with his mother. One day doing an odd job on the net, he meets a beautiful amnesiac girl, and then gets thrown into a wild plot concerning the megacorp Endrin, one that affects everyone around him and even brings to light his own history.

First off, good lord thi
Maria Violante
Nov 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I didn't stop reading until it was over. Not to eat, not to sleep ... due to the light weight of the kindle, I didn't even have to stop to pee. Let's all just be glad that I didn't have to work today, or I think I would have been fired while trying to sneak glances between ... you know ... what it is I do.

Although the writing is simplistic at times - it is, I believe, geared for YA audiences - it is engaging, descriptive, inventive, and clever. The main character, Sekry, is whole and utterly hum
Gabby
Jul 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book (City of the Falling Sky, by Joseph Evans) is full of action, romance, humour, and especially plot twists!

While it may seem like your average boy going to a new town to experience new things, there is much more to this book.

I can completely imagine all of the scenery, and it is like a movie playing in my head. As well, the dialogue fits perfectly into my imagination.

Seckramen Sevenstars must go to a new city called Skyfall, away from his old town, Marne. He meets many friends along the
Oksana
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Boys are boys no matter what time they live in, what games they play or what music they listen to. The City of the Falling Sky by Joseph Evans is a story of an ordinary provincial boy with an extraordinary destiny.

The events are majorly set in an alternative universe in the futuristic city of Skyfall where Secraman Sevestars moves with his mother and sister. The author creates a very believable description of the city, technology and the social situation. You clearly feel what the life in Skyfal
Angeli Reid
Nov 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
It is both a blessing and a curse to be compared to -THE- J.K. Rowling. Somehow, Joseph Evans is being fit into such big, amazing, magical shoes. Well, let me tell you now, you won't get disappointed. The City of the Falling Sky is such a refreshing read (especially if you're like me, that's been reading 'dark humor' material for the past couple of months). I've said this before, that Evans' novel is one of THE best post-Potter Depression pacifier you can find. But, its more than that. Its a who ...more
Alisha
Sep 23, 2013 rated it it was ok
I started to read this one night when my wifi was down, and it was storming out. For whatever reason, this book had been downloaded to my kindle. Honestly, my son may have been reading it. Anyways, for the review, I found it to be pretty silly. The Harry Potter weirdness just didn't work in this science fiction book, like it did in the fantasy genre. Also it felt like the plot was going in so many directions, some of them completely pointless. I still don't get the point of adding the video game ...more
Tiffany
Jan 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Somehow I missed writing up a review on this one. When I was reading this I couldn't help but think that a teenage boy should like it (not at all that I am clear as to what teenage boys should like). The story was well told and there was enough action and curious occurrences to keep it moving.

Likes:
1 - Seckry - I could see him being a kid in school with the challenges. But then of course he goes and does something amazing and risky making him anything but the normal student.
2 - Interesting story
Queeniejo
Aug 07, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nook-books
This book was absolutely thrilling! There was adventure, romance (not that I cared much for THAT), friendships and most of all, MYSTERY. There was so much mystery to the story that it be extremely hard to write a proper review without giving away Spoilers! If I did have a complaint, it would be the kissing. I mean, the kids were only 14 for heaven's sake! But since the rest of the book was great, I'll try not to dwell on that particular scene....er, SCENES.

- :SPOILERS:-
WARNING: This part of the
Lorijo Metz
Apr 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After reading the first chapter of City of the Falling Sky by Joseph Evans, my stomach did that nervous little twitter thing it does whenever I know I'm going to read something good. City of the Falling Sky is Evans first published novel, I believe, and it's very good. Not perfect, but very good. While Joseph mentions on his website that he was influenced by Harry Potter, I found City of the Falling Sky to be unique. Seckry, the main character is likable... almost lovable. In fact, Evans does a ...more
Kevin Fuhrman
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read that kept me page turning the entire time I was reading it, the desire to find out what happens next is very strong. It's difficult not to make comparisons to Harry Potter after finishing it and a few parts of the book feel like it was being forced to fit a mold for "young readers" and that makes other parts seem a little out of place by comparison.

The religious themes near the end were a little shocking to find in the "young adult" catagory, however to be fair that might just
kent
Nov 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
OK I'm 44 years old reading young adult sci-fi, sooo, after suspending all disbelief I enjoyed the book. The author uses a third person narrator to tell the story of Seckry Sevenstars in an alternate history of the near (2173) future earth. He uses lots of cutesy sounding names and fantastical chance and coincidence. From the point of view of continuing the saga of Seckry the book ties up so many loose ends it leaves very little to lead in to the next book.
So go ahead and read it, it won't hurt
Merry
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Breathtakingly original. A revelation on almost every page. Exciting and engaging blend of the usual teenaged angst and everyday life with a mesmerising array of fantastic images and events from Joseph Evans' marvelously imagined and realised world. I can't wait to connect with Seckry and his friends again. READ THIS BOOK!

Update: Please note that I haven't read the Harry Potter books, so I obviously didn't (and can't) make comparisons as other readers have.
Sidney
This was different than what I was expecting, but I ended up liking it. I'm not a big fan of video games or sci-fi (except for shows), but I didn't mind it in this. I also liked how the romance part was a sweeter, cuter kind, more fit for their age rather than a big, extreme, adult-like romance. It's a pretty good book with good characters.
Zahra Khan
Sep 29, 2014 rated it it was ok
I can't remember why I borrowed this book.

I started reading it and immediately it became clear that the writing was not that great. Also plot holes!

The writing and plot got a bit better towards the end. But still lots of awful bits especially about the romantic relationships in the story. And way too many side arcs.

In short, this book had potential. But it didn't get there.
Mindy
Dec 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
The story had too many threads weaving together but none had enough depth to be truly satisfying. The same goes for the characters. There were a number of could-be-interesting characters, but none had enough depth to be truly satisfying.
Nichelle
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
I like to read YA books that have a male character as a possible addition to my classroom. This book was... well it was just okay. It took me a while to get through it and I didn't feel the characters were really connectable. It felt like a bad Harry Potter rip off.
Tamara
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was ok
Well, somebody has read Harry Potter...
Nanda Zacharias
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It kept me glued to it all the time. Even though I had to put it down. I can't wait for the second book in the series!
M.J. Gallagher
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
A terrific debut novel for young adults, but requires significant editing before it can become a genuine bestseller.

Let me just say first of all that I think Joseph Evans has great talent as a storyteller. His imagination and world-building skills are something to be admired, and you can’t help but get sucked into this saga. ‘City of the Falling Sky’, the first title in ‘The Seckry Sequence’ trilogy, is a sci-fi coming-of-age tale that hits the ground running.

Mainly set in the futuristic dystopi
Dessy
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Yes, this was written almost six years ago, but do I care? Nope. I could write a review for a seventeen year old book and wouldn't care. Seen any seventy year old books yet? But anyhow, quite a nice book. Just a few complaints and compliments. Nothing serious. Seems that some people get easily offended, so...

Compliment #1 - I really do admire your adjectives and verbs. Plus the I love the amusing names you come up with for these little characters. Gives me a strong Potter vibe :)

Complaint #1 - G
Angie Hershey Boehm
Apr 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I don't know where to begin...

Okay... There is a lot going on here. Too much, actually. The story was interesting enough that I finished reading it, but it has a few issues. There are too many facets of the plot that are mentioned once, then set aside with no impact on events, until they are conveniently brought out to solve a problem. Secret stole from a huge corporation, had $200k stashed under his bed, and never thought about it again? Really? This book could be so much better with the help o
Lindsey Allen
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an amazing story!

I enjoyed this book very much! Some parts were a little too scientific for me to understand. However I did enjoy how brave and independent Seckry became throughout the novel. I also enjoyed the relationships he's made, especially with Eiya. I'm excited to start the second book, and maybe this one will be a little less scientific. Great job Joseph!!
Insta: @crazy_wassabianpot8o
Cathy
Jan 07, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2018, abandoned
only read 100 pages . tried to give this book a chance, but was just a little too weird for me.
Amanda Walters
Oct 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I can’t do it, DNF 30%. More suitable for a child not YA. Way too simplistic for me.
AnnaMattai
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Really good! 💖💖
Paige Turner
Mar 10, 2015 rated it liked it
Read more of my reviews here: https://paigeturnerreads.wordpress.com/

Seckry Sevenstars is a young man who gets relocated to Skyfall City with his mother and sister, Leena. At first, Seckry is certain that he will not adjust to his new life, but gradually, to his surprise, he meets great friends and starts to enjoy his new home. Then, he receives an email that wants to send him on a quest to steal worms from Endrin Cooperation for an amazing sum of money; he accepts the mission. Then he finds a g
Tuesday Cross
Feb 18, 2017 rated it liked it
'City of the Falling Sky' is an exciting sci-fi story, ideal for young adults (13 - 16).

Joseph Evans weaves an interesting world with many elements, including a cast of quirky characters and a game called 'Friction' which would be a huge hit in the real world (come on science, let's get cracking on that one!)

As someone older than the target audience, for me there were some gaps here in there. The ending can be too easily guessed, and the problems the main characters faced were solved with unrea
moxieBK
Jul 17, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
The book began with a prologue that began when the protagonist was quite young. Immediately in the first chapter I learn a lot has changed between then and now, and I don't know why. I'm not a fan of prologues, but this was the hook that grabbed me in and made me read further. It read a lot quicker than I thought it would... (perhaps because of this?)

As I read more, I realized that this story is aimed at pre/teenage boys and not usually my kind of reading, but I was hoping the plot would pull m
Literary Mouse
Jan 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Despite the title, this book contains no city comprised of a falling sky.

Nevertheless Evans has managed to creatively bring to life a world that is entirely unique (although the similarities to Harry Potter is rather obvious).

I found despite the complex world Evans wrote in such a way that the reader easily accepts the existence of animals, foods and cities which only pages before had never been heard of. He also manages to simply deliver a plot that quite easily could've become overly complicat
Rayleigh
Feb 18, 2016 rated it liked it
I am going to start off by saying that this is probably one of the most talented authors I have ever come in contact with. His grasp for storytelling left me breathless and his incredibly developed characters and plot leave me speechless. I don’t think I’ve read such a phenomenally written story as this by a current day author.

Seckry’s love for Eyia is based solely on respect, friendship, and Biblical love to a friend that develops into a much deeper friendship. There is no physical desire or co
Heathery
Dec 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Oh my goodness, the names of things/people/places in this book is SO much like Harry Potter. To be honest, it was kind of weird and felt out of place with a futuristic book.

Nevertheless, this was an enjoyable read, overall. There were a lot of mystery tendrils flowing off the plot, but they all weaved themselves together seamlessly at the end. I really admired the skill shown in foreshadowing in this book.

The plot itself is a bit of a doozy, and it's pretty crazy by the time you get to the end,
Obscured Vixen
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ya
This book was phenomenal! If The Uglies series and Harry Potter merged, you would come out with ‘The Seckry Sequence.’ City of the Falling Sky engaged me from the first page, and never let me go. The multiple story lines, mostly unseen in YA, was a wonderful surprise. You follow Seckry through starting at a new school, playing Friction, having his first big crush, while trying to find out the mysteries behind a corporation that seems to be incorporated in all aspects of the city.

Like a typical t
Stephanie
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-it, series
City of the Falling Sky was a non-stop adventure that I couldn't get enough of. This is the first novel I've read of Joseph Evans and trust me it won't be the last. When evil Endrin Corporations forces everyone out of Marne, Seckry must leave his friends, his school and his home to live in Skyfall City. Once in Skyfall Seckry is introduced to a whole new world, new friends and a new game called Friction. But just when things are looking up for him, he answers an ad for a job and everything he th ...more
Kate
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
Short and Sweet:
Wandering around on Amazon one day, I came across City of the Falling Sky. Now, the summary seemed to give a little too much away in regards to the plot (I have edited it a bit for the review), but it still looked like something different. And boy was I right! Gaming... mystery... science fiction... it is all there. And in a nice, clean package.

City of the Falling Sky has multiple story lines. All interwoven together in an engrossing way. I must gives kudos to Evans for keeping a
Rachel "Rai29"
Sep 15, 2011 rated it liked it
When fourteen year old Seckry Sevenstars is forced out of his village by the greedy Endrin Corporation and relocated to the daunting metropolis of Skyfall City, he harbours resentment for the company and vows to get them back one day for taking away his home, his school and his friends. Fortunately, the marvels of the city do a good job in distracting Seckry from his anger and homesickness, and it isn’t long before he’s competing at Friction (the city’s most popular multiplayer video game), slur ...more
Kathryn
Oct 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
A great YA book. It was well written and very engrossing. It's the first published novel from Evans and I will definitely read the next books. He did a good job of tying up all the loose ends and leaving the reader wanting more. It's also one of those few books I've read about that I keep thinking about long after I finish. I can't wait for the second book. I would love to see the book made into a movie.

Spoiler alert........................

There is one weird thing about the book that I have mix
J.C. Hart
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was actually a really good read. While I felt like it was written for an audience far younger than I (with the character names and style of writing reminding me strongly of the first Harry Potter book), I still felt myself drawn in. Evans has a really easy style of writing, so the story flowed nicely.

The characters are all fairly well drawn, and there is everything you would expect from a YA novel from the love interest, the best friend, the teacher/mentor, family members through to th
Lucy
Dec 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Mostly, I enjoyed reading this book. It was quite similar to Harry Potter and I liked the school setting, and the game which the main character's played, 'Friction'.

However, I felt the writing style was too simple for me.The way that the main character solved the issues that arose in the book was quite 'neat' and simple. One of the main issues for me was that (view spoiler)
Nikki
I came across this book when the author, Joseph Evans, found me on Twitter. Good move, Joe! I looked Joseph up on goodreads and found his debut novel, the first in a young adult series. What immediately caught my attention is that Joseph is a huge Harry Potter fan, and hey, I've got to help a fellow fan out! I bought the e-book and was immediately engrossed! The story is exciting and had me by the collar until the end.

Joseph Evans is an avid video gamer, which is evident in the book, where a vi
Marie Malyon
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I purchased this book on a whim from Amazon just after Christmas and added it to my reading list after I saw a very intriguing comment on the cover from one reader saying it was "even better than Harry Potter" - what big shoes to fill.

Despite this, the narrative is surprisingly original. Drawing influences from the bible, (with "for Geddins sake" being my new expletive of choice!), current debates of genetic modification, corporate responsibility and even school budgets it is topical and engagi
S.M. Blooding
Nov 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This book started out slow, but I’ve noticed that a lot of my reviews say the same thing. What am I expecting as a reader? That the author just jump head first into the story? That we miss all the important information on how we got there? I have no idea!

Once we get to the second chapter, though, the story really just TAKES OFF!

There are so many little subplots/subnotes in this story. I know several readers find that distracting, my mind finds it fascinating! I loved all the digs, and jabs, and
Isaac
Oct 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Huw Thomas
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
The basic scenario is simple enough - lonely boy in new city gets drawn into plot to stop evil genius, finding friends and enemies along the way. It took a few pages to get into but I quickly took a liking to the hero, Seckry, and enjoyed his adventures.

There were a few things that jarred, in particular the names. The book is aimed at children but some themes - drug use, bullying and mention of rape, to my mind, put it firmly in the teen/young adult category rather than being for younger readers
Lyndaa
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ok, so being a 40 odd year old woman I’m sure I’m not the target audience for this book, but what the hell, I enjoyed it!! I would say it was aimed more at a 12 to 16 year old reader. What I liked about it was that it was a modern story, although the names given to people and animals seemed a little fairytale like and childish. It seemed a bit odd to me that it was set in the future but was also quite old fashioned in a way. The computer gaming pods, virtual reality with team games as a national ...more
Andrew Maloney
Sep 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Overall, I thought CotFS was a good first novel for the author. There is a creative concept and an interesting world that I think will be better flushed out in future stories. The main characters of Secrky and Eiya were entertaining, as was the Friction game.

There were a few "convenient" escapes out of the situations Seckry and his friends faced, and some of the dialogue seemed a tad forced to move the plot along. Some of the characterization was a little 2-D or implausible: the character of Va
Andreea Pausan
May 19, 2014 rated it liked it
Good, fun, light reading. Secry is a teenager whose father has disappeared mysteriously when he was very young and whose home village is taken over by a Corporation digging for resources called Endrin, thus forcing them all to re-locate in the city of Sky, where he meets new friends, learns new games, discoveres love and uncovers an Endrin conspiracy. All in a few weeks time. There are throughout the book several inconsistencies and deus ex machina moments, but overall a nice read for an YA leve ...more
Charlotte
Oct 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Joseph Evans' debut novel hits in all the right spots. A piece for all ages, genders and genre lovers, 'A City of Fallen Sky' really delivers.

Bringing together science-fiction, adventure and romance the life of Seckraman 'Seckry' Sevenstars is a puzzling one. Starting with the loss of his father and then being moved out of his home and thrust in to the big bad city of Endrin, Seckry enjoys the thrills that is Friction and finds himself in the middle of a mystery after breaking in to Endrin Corp
Janet Arroyo
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Good book

I had higher expectations for this book. It kind of read like Harry Potter and the Uglies got together and "magic" this book appeared. I can't let my tween kids read this because of the violence, crude language. The character " Tink" was pretty cool. I just didn't enjoy this book. I feel the author has a lot of potential. I hope he writes another in this series. He definitely needs a new editing team.
  • Cathedral of Dreams
  • Walker
  • Rex Rising (Elei's Chronicles, #1)
  • Psion Beta (Psion, #1)
  • The Glass Wall (Return of the Ancients, #1)
  • Prison Nation (Prison Nation, #1)
  • The Overtaking
  • Death Whispers (Death, #1)
  • Excelsior
  • Winter's Awakening: The Metahumans Emerge (Winter's Saga, #1)
  • Verita (Verita, #1)
  • Vrin: Ten Mortal Gods
  • Darklandia
  • Cassidy Jones and Vulcan's Gift (Cassidy Jones Adventures, #2)
  • Worlds Burn Through (The Chronicles of Nowhere #1)
  • Riser (The Riser Saga, #1)
  • A Place Beyond The Map
  • The Eve Genome

Seckry Sequence (2 books)
  • The Trinity Awakening (Seckry Sequence, #2)

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)