Start by marking “Mortimer's Christmas Manger” as Want to Read:
Mortimer's Christmas Manger

Mortimer's Christmas Manger

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  884 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Unhappy in his cramped, cold hole, Mortimer Mouse moves into a nativity scene thinking it is the perfect home for him, until he discovers who truly belongs there.
Published October 4th 2005 by Margaret K. McElderry Books

To ask other readers questions about Mortimer's Christmas Manger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mortimer's Christmas Manger

Becky
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
First sentence: In a big house lived a wee mouse named Mortimer. He dwelled in a dark hole under the stairs. Nobody ever noticed little Mortimer. And Mortimer liked it that way. But he didn't like his hole. "Too cold. Too cramped. Too creepy," squeaked Mortimer.

Premise/plot: Mortimer is in search of a new home, a better home. To his surprise, he finds such a home…easily. But it's a home filled with statues. There is even a statue of a baby of all things?! The baby is easily shoved OUT of the way
Storywraps
Dec 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mortimer's a little mouse,
He longs so much for his own house.
He now resides inside a hole
That's dark and damp
Without a soul.

Each day he looks for crumbs and bits
And spots a little house that fits.
The house is high
He starts to climb
He reaches it in record time.

But what he finds there
Baffles him,
Little people are within.
Animals and a baby sleeps ....
No one talks, no not a peep.

The tiny baby's little bed
Is just his size and he is lead
To tug and pull
The statues out
Crawl in the bed
And without a dou
babyhippoface
Dec 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Well, if Mortimer isn't the cutest little mouse ever, I don't know who is (no disrespect, Mickey, but this Mortimer has a sweet little face and cries big, sad tears).

Mortimer's dark hole in the wall is too cramped, too cold, and too creepy. He wants a cozy house. One day he spots a brand new house just his size, on a table next to a green tree covered in twinkling colored lights with a shiny star on top. But this house is full of statues! Mortimer tugs and lugs and clears every last statue out,
Nicole
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
My first grader checked this out from her school library today so we read it for a bedtime story. I will be buying to add to our Christmas library. It was sweet but not cheesy. It illuminates the Christmas story in a way that children can relate to. We all felt warm and quiet as the story progressed, particularly as Mortimer realized who the baby in the manger was. It was refreshing to read a children's Christmas book that was about Jesus, not Santa Claus. We loved it.
Katherine
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, 2017
A sweet picture book for children to help personalize the true meaning of Christmas. Through Mortimer, a mouse hoping for a new home for himself, the reader explores the nativity story and "making room" for Jesus. A wonderful book with bright, delightful illustrations!
Jessica Simmons
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such a good book to read! I liked that it brought the story of Christmas into it. It showed how Jesus came to save us and He will show us what we need! Very cute story for Christmas!
Raina Konazeski
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Adorable children's book.
Lesley Dahlseng
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
No doubt it's a challenge to present the manger scene in a fresh perspective. Yet, Karma Wilson is up for the challenge! This story is told through the experiences of Mortimer, an adorable little mouse who seeks a warm home in a table-top manger scene. Not knowing the purpose of these ornaments, Mortimer decides to simply push the baby Jesus and the other manger statues out in order to make room for himself, presenting a parallel dilemma to the original Christmas story: where will Jesus stay? Ea ...more
Nov 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Christmas story. Mortimer is a mouse who lives in a cold, creepy hole under the stairs. One day he discovers a house that is the perfect size for him; one problem there are people living in it! After careful investigation, Mortimer discovers they are only statues and proceeds to take over. One night while hiding near his new home, he hears a story about a man and woman and a baby. There was no room for this baby and he was born in a stable. Mortimer realizes that the baby he ...more
Lisa
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
The story of Mortimer, a mouse who doesn't like his cold, dark, and creepy home in the wall. He goes searching for a new home, only to find a nice house that is filled with statues. He pushes them all out, including the baby that was in the bed of straw, and makes it his home. Each evening he returns to find his new house once again full of the statues, and so he removes them. Then one night, he overhears the story of baby Jesus, and he realizes who he has been taking out of his house. He pts al ...more
Twinkle
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
Mortimer is a little mouse looking for a new home. When he spies a Nativity setting he has no hesitation in throwing baby Jesus out of the manger and settling in for a long nap. He does this every night until one evening he hears the human family of the house reading the story of the first ever Christmas. Feeling very sorry for his actions, Mortimer reinstates the baby Jesus to his rightful place in the manger, and prays that God will find him a new home. The next day he finds the most beautiful ...more
Karen
Dec 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
2015 - A cute new addition to our Advent reading countdown. I found this one last year after the Christmas season and decided to add it to our collection. It is a fun read about Mortimer the mouse and how he is looking to find a new home that is warm and cozy instead of his cold one. I love how he finds a new place and rearranges things to suit his needs, but then how he hears a story and realizes what house he took over. He puts everything back with understanding now for the new king who sleeps ...more
Perfumegirl
Oct 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
What a cute Christmas book ~ Mortimer Mouse is trying to find a warm home and finds a manger scene and keeps moving the figures out, but they are back in place the next day. Morimer learns about the manger scene.

Can't wait til it gets closer to Christmas for my grandson to get to hear the story.

I am checking out numerous children's Christmas books. I need 12 to wrap for the 12 days before Christmas and then my daughter's family can read a book a night before Christmas...such fun.

12/12/16 My gran
Karen
I started a Christmas picture book collection for my kids, and this was one of my first purchases a few years back. This is such a cute story - Mortimer dislikes his cold, lonely mouse hole and when he finds the manger scene, he thinks it is the perfect replacement- until he hears the story of the first Christmas. Such a great way to talk about the Nativity. The writing is a little more lengthy than Wilson's Bear books, but still just as good. I haven't found a Karma Wilson book yet that we don' ...more
Krissy
Oct 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: All ages
Shelves: picturebooks
A Christmas story that is actually has to do with the Savior. What a concept! Mortimer crawls out of his "cramped," "creepy" hole in search of a new home, when he comes upon the family manger. Not understanding what it is, he pushes out all the figurines and sleeps in the cozy hay in the manger, but each day, while he searches the house to crumbs to eat, he returns to the manger to find the figurines set up again. And frustrated he drags them back out... until he hears the father read the Christ ...more
Penelope
Dec 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This year, my 5 year old has asked to read this book again and again. It is a really cute story highlighting the real reason for Christmas. It tells the story of Jesus birth in an accessible way and invites children to make room for Jesus in our Christmas celebration. I use a "mouse" voice for Mortimer and my son really likes the squeaky "no, no, no" when Mortimer can't find room in the stable for him.
Marcelle
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was my favorite from this year's pile of Christmas books. I love Wilson and Chapman and their expressive characters (like Bear and Mole and Badger), and maybe it's because we just finally rid our house of its rodent residents and I'm feeling more generous toward mice, but I found this to be a wonderful glimpse of Christmas magic.
Amy
Jan 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was much cuter than I had anticipated. H had picked out a bunch of "junk" books while we were both browsing at the library. I let her borrow them all. I assumed this would be in that "ok" category, but it was much more charming than I had anticipated. It is now in our permanent collection for December reads.
Kate Hastings
Nov 11, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades PreK- 1 nativity
Shelves: christmas-books
Mortimer the mouse is tired of his cold, dark hole and finds a perfect new place to sleep-- a tabletop nativity scene. Every night he removes all of the statues to make room, until he hears the Christmas story of Jesus being born in a stable because there was no room. He puts all the pieces back and prays for a new home... which appears in the form of a gingerbread house. Giggle. CUTE!
Meg McGregor
Jan 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
How wonderful it is to read a book that explains the true meaning of the Christmas Season.

I thoroughly enjoyed this story and was quite pleased to have and the Nativity story explained in a simple but knowing way!

Beautiful pictures and a winning main character make this a Christmas treasure to read for many years to come!
Melanie
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Poor Mortimer mouse finds his mouse hole home to be cramped and creepy. As Christmas time approaches he notices a perfect home- the stable of a nativity scene! When Mortimer hears the story of the first Christmas, he realizes the home belongs to baby Jesus. As he turns to go back to his dark, creepy hole, a new home, covered in candies and frosting catches his eye!
Tricia
Dec 19, 2010 rated it really liked it
Mortimer lives in a dark hole until he spies a house just his size near the Christmas tree. He moves all the occupants from the stable...until he overhears the story of Jesus. Warm ending...too much Christian theme to bring out for library storytime...may be perfect for outreach to Christian education preschool.
Amanda
Dec 22, 2015 rated it really liked it

Cute Story

A unique telling of the Christmas story providing a nice springboard into discussing God's provision for us and why he came to earth. The illustrations are nicely done.

4 stars

This review originally appeared at http://sophiesmindset.blogspot.com/2015/12/storytimechristmascountdown-day-20.html as a part of the #StorytimeChristmasCountdown series.
Kristin King
Apr 23, 2015 rated it really liked it
Mortimer is looking for a place to sleep that is a little less bleak than his hole in the wall. He finds it, but it's filled with little statues that have no meaning for him till later when all is revealed with a gift.

I like all things mouse and Christmas like Santa Mouse, so of course I'd recommend this one.
Dawn Teresa
Dec 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I love this little book. The story of a little mouse who is looking for a warm place to sleep around Christmas. He moves into the manger scene and takes Jesus out of the hay. Eventually, he hears the story of Christ's birth, though, and he decides to make room for Jesus. He then is rewarded with an even better place to stay--a gingerbread house!
Jennybug
I love this book. It is darling the pictures are wonderful. It made me laugh and a little teary when mortimer finds out the true meaning of Christmas. I loved the ending, it was so cute. Children love reading this story about Mortimer.
Suzanne (Chick with Books) Yester
A very cute book. Illustrations were nice, the story was perfect for Christmas. Unlike a lot of Christmas storybooks, this centered on understanding who the baby Jesus was and the significance of the manger.
Kay Carman
Feb 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christ
Removed from my personal collection.

"Unhappy in his cramped, cold hold, Mortimer Mouse moves into a nativity scene thinking it is the perfect home for him, until he discovers who truly belongs there."
Emily
Dec 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Probably because it deals with a nativity which is one of my favorite things at Christmas-time. But the illustrations are beautiful and the story is sweet about making room for Jesus.
Gena Lott
Dec 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an adorable story with an intertwining of religious undertones which makes it a great story for small children to reinforce the meaning of Christmas.
The illustrations are wonderful and Wilson is an accomplished story-teller that draws in the reader.
  • A Wish to Be a Christmas Tree
  • Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
  • Humphreys First Christmas
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Why Christmas Trees Aren't Perfect
  • Christmas Day in the Morning
  • Russell's Christmas Magic
  • The Little Fir Tree
  • Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons
  • Peter Spier's Christmas!
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
  • Santa Calls
  • Cobweb Christmas: The Tradition of Tinsel
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...