Start by marking “Adult Children Secrets of Dysfunctional Families: The Secrets of Dysfunctional Families” as Want to Read:

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  238 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
It is estimated that as many as 34 million people grew up in alcoholic homes. But what about the rest of us? What about families that had no alcoholism, but did have perfectionism, workaholism, compulsive overeating, intimacy problems, depression, problems in expressing feelings, plus all the other personality traits that can produce a family system much like an alcoholic ...more
Published January 1st 1990 by Health Communications (first published January 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Adult Children Secrets of Dysfunctional Families, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Adult Children Secrets of Dysfunctional Families

Lisa
May 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: therapists, adult children of dysfunctional families
This is the first self-help book I ever read. It shed light on the dynamics of my family of origin and propelled me into recovery.
Jennyappleseed
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book may have literally saved my life. I can't recommend it enough if you come from an unhealthy family, no matter the degree of dysfunction.
Dena
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
Insightful, I believe everyone could benefit from this book. First step to fixing the problem is to acknowledge that there is one.
Inga Pizāne
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ļoti vērtīga lasāmviela, kas ļauj ieskatīties tajā, kā attiecības ģimenē (komunikācija, attieksme, uzmanības veltīšana/neveltīšana, emociju izrādīšana vai apspiešana, emocionāla vai fiziska vardarbība) - (runa ir par neveselīgām attiecībām) ietekmē bērna attīstību un viņa nākotnes attiecību veidošanu. Par to, kā mēs turpmākajā dzīvē meklējam kompensāciju tam, ko neesam saņēmuši bērnībā. Par to, kā veidojas disfunkcionālas jeb neveselīgas attiecības.
Disfunkcionālas ģimenes mēdz būt visdažādākās
Laurent
Nov 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: codependency
5 stars -- Wow. This book had a deep impact on me.

If you have the vague feeling there's something fucked up in your life but cannot say what, this book is for you.
If your parents always told you that they love each other but had/have trouble expressing it spontaneously, this book is for you.
If you cling to your partner or look for a partner like an addict in withdrawal, this book is for you.

This book is a treasure about codependency. The codependency movement started from children/partners of al
saiberiac
Great, necessary book for me but the message that I must have professional help or else I'm unlikely to recover/heal was saddening. I will do the best I can with what I have available, like everyone else.
Tansura
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Mostly information. Little on treatment though that's likely due to the sort of disorder that's the subject and how it needs to be highly individualized.

Good overview.

All my audiobooks are starting to follow a psychology trend.
zencaroline
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
useful book with a lot of information
Evija
Oct 11, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sākumā gribēju likt 4 zvaigznes, bet tā kā tēmas sāka iet pa apli un izstiepās kā nolietota bikšu gumija, tad tomēr tikai 3.
Salīdzinot ar citām "pašpalīdzības" grāmatām, šī ir gluži laba, jo jau sākumā pasaka, ka ar grāmatu lasīšanu vien un labu domu praktizēšanu pie mērķa nonākt nevar. Vajag aktīvu rīcību. Tāpat ierosina neuzbāzties citiem ar pamācībām par to, kā pareizi dzīvot, spiežot izlasīt konkrēto grāmatu. Katram, pirms lūkoties pēc citu cilvēka baļķa, jāmeklē pašam pēc savas skabargas a
Emily
Jan 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mental-health
This book contains excellent descriptions of roles people in dysfunctional families find themselves stuck in and the habits they develop. The examples are somewhat gendered and the authors are very heavy into the 12 step model but they integrate many schools of thought (psychodynamic, Rogers, Erikson, etc). There are also parables and analogies interspersed that help the reader understand some of the concepts. I would recommend this to people with any issues or dissatisfaction with their family ...more
Steve Woods
Aug 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recovery
This is a very handy little book. The dfifficulty for people whose lives have been controlled by the effects of an abusive childhood is that they think that the way they regard the world and others is normal, and common to others. This short book has the information to help begin to crack that shell of delusional thinking. A good start for anyone who has hit the wall in life. The answer as to why it's all goe pear shaped may be here.
Rita Christine
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-improvement
Extremely rewarding - This book is one that I will reference often. it has been a great resource for me in my adult child recovery and I found myself in a lot of the text - it was as if the authors were writing for me/through me. I recommend this for ANYONE, as we all have dysfunctions.
Kelli
May 11, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very dated and not the greatest as far as psycho analysis is concerned. It has a great discussion on family structure and boundaries. It brings up a few good points, but I'm sure there's a newer book like it that is better written.
Carl Andersen
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very revealing!!
Richard
You're always "recovering" never recovered per se.
We're all adult children in varied degrees.
Learn to express your feelings.
Vilis
Jan 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tulkojamā grāmata. Autoriem drusku uzkāriens uz anonīmajiem alkoholiķiem (un pret skrējējiem), bet citādi tīri interesants psihologu selfhelps, pat ja nevaru salīdzināt ar daudziem citiem variantiem.
Nov 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read while at Crown. Great book.
Gary
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this one again.
Amy Simatos
Jan 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read for anyone that is in the coaching/consulting business to better understand relationships, family dynamics and the impact it has on who we are today.
Deborah
Mar 07, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Some points were interesting. Makes you think, but overall, it was a bit tiresome to get through for me. I finished it though and I am glad I did.
Sherilyn
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pay-it-forward
No magic bullets but well written and tools to use and concepts to consider.
Kimme Gatlin
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Lifeskills for Adult Children
  • Codependents' Guide to the Twelve Steps
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to Psychology: CIG to Psychology
  • What Stories Does My Son Need?: A Guide to Books and Movies that Build Character in Boys
  • The Object of My Affection Is in My Reflection: Coping with Narcissists
  • Adult Children of Abusive Parents
  • 4 Weeks to an Organized Life with AD/HD
  • Dealing with the CrazyMakers in Your Life: Setting Boundaries on Unhealthy Relationships
  • The Mindful Path through Shyness: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Help Free You from Social Anxiety, Fear, and Avoidance
  • Working With You is Killing Me: Freeing Yourself from Emotional Traps at Work
  • Survival Tips for Women with AD/HD: Beyond Piles, Palms,  Post-its
  • Emotional Unavailability: Recognizing It, Understanding It, and Avoiding Its Trap
  • Receiving Love: Transform Your Relationship by Letting Yourself Be Loved
  • How to Disagree Without Being Disagreeable
  • Staying Connected To Your Teenager: How To Keep Them Talking To You And How To Hear What They're Really Saying
  • How Rude!: The Teen Guide to Good Manners, Proper Behavior, and Not Grossing People Out
  • Coping With Difficult People Coping With Difficult People