Start by marking “Van den vos Reynaerde” as Want to Read:
Van den vos Reynaerde

Van den vos Reynaerde

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  1,781 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews

In Van den vos Reynaerde wordt een hofdag van Koning Nobel beschreven. Alle dieren verschijnen, behalve één: Reynaert de vos. Verschillende dieren doen hun beklag over de schurkenstreken van Reynaert, en Koning Nobel besluit de vos voor het Hof te dagen.

Reynaert probeert al het mogelijke om toch maar niet schuldig bevonden te worden voor zijn misdaden, maar Koning Nobel en

Published 2001 by Verloren (first published 1250)

David Dinaburg
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Imagine you have the chance to read a story that was such a cultural touchstone nearly everyone who could read had read it. A story that was once so popular that it integrated itself into the very essence of language. A story that isn't the bible; one of which you've probably never heard, let alone read:
The Reynard literary material was so popular in medieval France that the French word for “fox” changed from “goupil” to “reynard” (the word still used in French for “fox”).
I chose to verify thi
Ana Rînceanu
I was expecting a typical folk tale, but instead I got Reynard the Fox, a worthy rival to Machiavelli. From criminal to king, he makes Robin Hood look like an idiot.
Fredrick Danysh
This collection of stories evaluates the struggle between good and evil, right and wrong with hypocritical dark humor. Similar to Briar Rabbit and Aseop's Fables.
Gijs Grob
Satirisch lang gedicht over de sluwe vos Reynaert, die voor het gerecht wordt gedaagd, maar met zijn leugens niet alleen zichzelf redt van de doodstraf, maar ook zijn vijanden, door hebzucht verblind, in het verderf stort.

Dit nog opvallend spannend en humoristisch geschreven en zeer goed getimed gedicht is eigenlijk de middeleeuwse equivalent van het rechtsdrama. Iedere moraal ontbreekt echter: Reynaert is een opvallend immoreel (en ongestraft!) personage, de tekst zit vol nogal brute erotiek en
andrea
Mar 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: renart, epos

Rielaborazione in prosa del Roman de Renart.

Le branches a cui Battaglia ha attinto sono: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 e 5a, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 17, 24.

[Fonte: Massimo Bonafin, Il Romanzo di Renart la volpe, Edizioni dell'Orso, 1999].
Ben
Apr 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After finishing this book, I'm not sure who the intended is that the author & publisher had in mind. The plot is quite simple and all the characters are woodland animals, so the book definitely seems like it should be for children. But the satire on political power and the gullibility of those who have more greed that good sense is certainly geared toward a more adult readership; and the violent parts -- such as when a bear get his head stuck in a tree and ends up tearing all of the skin off ...more
Logan Plonski
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I first started reading this book, I was expecting something more along the lines of a typical folk tale, where a flawed character gets its comeuppance at the hands of a lovable rogue. I was unprepared for the manipulative and bloodthirsty Reynard, who frequently enacted grevious harm on completely innocent animals. By the time I finished reading it, I realized that Reynard wasn't the hero, but was representative of the kind of person to watch out for in politics and in your daily life. Thi ...more
Bram
Jan 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ongelooflijk hoe de rijm in dit verhaal zo vanzelfsprekend lijkt, alsof het kinderspel is.
Deborah  Cleaves
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book is an absolute classic that has thankfully been preserved since the 1100s. An enjoyable read.
Elianne van Elderen
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Om Matthijs Budding te citeren: “Het is een boek, je kan er wat van vinden.”

3.5*
Frans
Dec 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Van den vos Reynaerde has it all: deception, conflict, sarcasm, violence, (homosexual) innuendo, parody, and black humor. To top it off, it's even featured on the Index Librorum Prohibitorum — the Papal seal of quality.

Our hero in this epic is Reynaert, a wily fox. Surrounded by nobility and other animals that are lustful, voracious, miserly, and greedy, the basic moral of the story is that you can only be deceived if you're greedy. The narrator always hints at or even tells you what the result
Lara Hoffmann
Mar 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had never read the story of Reynard the Fox before, probably because these stories are read but not extremely popular in Germany. When preparing a presentation on hunt as a literary motif in the novel Blue Fox, or Skugga-Baldur in Icelandic, I stumbled upon an interesting translation issue where the English translation read "a daughter of Reynard" but the word Reynard was not used in the original. I think there is no proper way of translating the original"skolli" into English.
What does the wor
Bryan Camp
Jul 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Started this for both research and because I love Trickster tales, finished it just for the research. The introduction and the message from the translator at the end turned me off, as I don't think he quite understands the value of Trickster as a mythic figure. But then, I'm biased. The language straddles the line between being a full on modernization and staying true to the original, (which the translator states in the intro was intended) and I think it would have better served to go fully one ...more
Yuzu
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: literatuurlijst
It is quite interesting to know that the French word for fox finds its origin in these Reynard stories.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Think Quentin Tarantino writing Loony Tunes and you are there!
Marie Bland
Dec 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: uni-reading-list
[3,5/5]
Jason
Dec 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, classics, kids-ya
Not for younger kids, but actually an enjoyable read despite how lousy a person (animal person?) Reynard is because he is an entertaining talespinner/BSer.
Matthias Vannieuwenhuyze
May 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dutch
Beste Middelnederlandse tekst ooit geschreven. Met woordgrappen en dubbelzinnigheden die zelfs vandaag de dag nog grappig zijn.
Anna
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Had to read this one for school.
I had more fun reading it than I thought I would have.
Adam Stevenson
Jan 04, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As someone whose favourite book as a child was ‘Fantastic Mr Fox’ and whose favourite tv programme was ‘The Animals of Farthing Wood’ - I do love a tricksy fox, so I was very excited to read the grandaddy of all tricksy fox books.

King Noble the Lion has a problem, half the animals have complaints to make about Reynard the Fox. He’s been eating nearly all of Chanticleer the Cockerel’s family,

What’s more, the noble lords sent to fetch Reynard; Isengrim the Wolf, Bruin the Bear and Tybart the Cat
Andrew Nease
Jun 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Is this book all it's cracked up to be? Probably not. Is it an interestingly different book in a surprisingly readable translation? Hell yeah. It's also shelf candy for enthusiasts of Medieval literature... and full of the best kind of bullshit.
Justin Howe
Nov 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like a Disney cartoon directed by Sam Peckinpah.
Autumn
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The vulpine Francis Begbie.
Ireneheijblom
Mijn gedachte tijdens het lezen was constant: "man, dit is gruwelijk!"
Wat een geweld allemaal. vroeger waren ze in elk geval alles behalve lief.
Dessislav Sabev
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly modern* text, funny, paradoxical, burlesque.

* I mean "modern" in its strict literary sense, not the 21st century shit.
Margot
Jul 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
Verplicht leesvoer eindexamen Nederlands.
1 ster omdat ik het een kinderverhaaltje vond.
De onderliggende boodschap heb ik nooit begrepen.
Te ingewikkeld voor een geestelijk onrijpe 16 jarige.
Eline
Jul 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had to read this for university and pretty much liked it. It's a very interesting story, especially when you know a lot about the background (story) of the book.
Matthijs Budding
Het is een boek. Je kan er wat van vinden.
Laura Jager
Mar 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Ik moest dit boek lezen voor nederlands, en het is zeker geen boek dat ik zelf zou lezen. Ik vond het geen leuk boek. Boeken uit de Middeleeuwen zijn niet de boeken die ik graag wil lezen. Ik vond de schrijfwijze heel vervelend en zou het niet aanraden om te lezen.
Jonah Nieuwenhuijzen
Sep 04, 2016 rated it did not like it
Het verhaal speelt zich af op de hofdag van koning Nobel
Alle dieren komen opdagen behalve de vos Reynaert, die heeft veel te veel mispeuterd om te mogen komen.
Veel andere dieren klagen over Reynaerts misdaden
De wolf Isegrim getuigt dat zijn vrouw is verkracht door hem
De haan Cantecleer komt de dode kip Coppe tonen
De koning stuur de beer Bruun erop uit om Reynaert te dagvaarden
Reynaert lokt de beer in de val, hij belooft hem honing die in een boomstam zit maar de beer raakt erin vast en het hele
  • Karel ende Elegast
  • De historie van mejuffrouw Sara Burgerhart
  • Van oude menschen, de dingen, die voorbij gaan...
  • Een nagelaten bekentenis
  • Een ontgoocheling
  • De grote zaal
  • Mijn kleine oorlog
  • Kees de jongen
Books can be attributed to "Unknown" when the author or editor (as applicable) is not known and cannot be discovered. If at all possible, list at least one actual author or editor for a book instead of using "Unknown".

Books whose authorship is purposefully withheld should be attributed instead to Anonymous.
More about Unknown