Start by marking “Omens (Cainsville, #1)” as Want to Read:
Omens (Cainsville, #1)

Omens

(Cainsville #1)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  16,638 ratings  ·  1,910 reviews
Twenty-four-year-old Olivia Taylor Jones has the perfect life. The only daughter of a wealthy, prominent Chicago family, she has an Ivy League education, pursues volunteerism and philanthropy, and is engaged to a handsome young tech firm CEO with political ambitions.

But Olivia’s world is shattered when she learns that she’s adopted. Her real parents? Todd and Pamela Larsen
Published August 20th 2013 by Sphere

To ask other readers questions about Omens, please sign up.
Shandare Yes, it is paranormal but subtly so. It deals more with lesser known myths (particularly Welsh and others in theBritish Isles) and the Fae. Think of…moreYes, it is paranormal but subtly so. It deals more with lesser known myths (particularly Welsh and others in theBritish Isles) and the Fae. Think of it as a murder mystery with a light sprinkling of supernatural. (less)
Tricia Griffith Not at all. I really can't give you much more information without spoilers, but there is no emotional affairs or cheating.

·  16,638 ratings  ·  1,910 reviews

Emily May
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it

The first thing you should be aware of before starting this book? It isn't what you think. If you've jumped up at the sound of the name Kelley Armstrong and are considering this book as your next adventure into the land of urban fantasy, complete with standard supernatural creatures and romance, you might want to step away and look somewhere else. Less than 5% of this book is paranormal and I think there's a very strong argument to be made that this book isn't paranormal or urban fantasy at al
Alienor ✘ French Frowner ✘

Reread 08/03 : Despite my relative disappointment in Deceptions (and déception = disappointment in French, Oh, the IRONY), I'm still super excited about the 4th book coming out next week so I decided to reread them all during my vacations (STARTING NOW WOOT!)

"First you buy me a mocha. Then you let me help you hide a body. Now you take me to a biker clubhouse. Best. Day. Ever."

Wow. Color me surprised : I certainly didn't start Omens with high expectations and yet... It kept me on the edge of m
Chelsea Humphrey
Uff. I keep forgetting to come back and write a review for this one, and now I'm reading book two which is making my brain hurt trying to separate what happens in each.

description

How's this? "I really liked this book, so much that I grabbed the second book from my library the moment it came in, because I gotta know what happens next and answer some questions and most likely raise more questions." Why did I wait so long to read these? I love the subtle use of Welsh mythology and the mild vibes of horror in
Alex is The Romance Fox
After reading Kelley Armstrong’s Otherworld Series….ooh I was really sad when it ended, I was so looking forward to her next offering. And what a start to her new Cainsville Series with the 1st book, Omens.

Amazing………Incredible!!!! What a great beginning!!

Olivia Taylor-Jones, the only daughter of a prominent and affluent Chicago family seems to have seems to have everything anyone wants – she’s well-educated, rich, beautiful and engaged to a man with the right connections and who fits in beautifu
Rachel Reads Ravenously
3.5 stars rounded up to 4

“A friend helps you move; a real friend helps you move a body.”

photo omens.png

Olivia Taylor Jones is the only daughter of wealthy department store owners and engaged to a man well on his way into a career with politics. When she discovers that she was adopted, and that her real parents are a notorious serial killer due currently in prison, it sends her life into a tailspin. Completely shedding her old life, Olivia ends up in the small town of Cainsville where she meets her birth
Khanh, first of her name, mother of bunnies
Actual rating: 2.5

Missed the mark. Completely missed it.

Recommended for lovers of detective novels, because that's all this book is.

I feel misled---specifically by the genres under which this book is categorized. I was led into reading this book under false pretenses. It is a far, far stretch to shelve this book as Urban Fantasy or Paranormal when it is more of a mystery with some very forced and frankly, nonsensical attempts at incorporating extremely, extremely minute elements of fantasy that
Jonetta
This story started off really interesting when Olivia Taylor Jones learns at the age of 24 that she was adopted. Her biological parents are notorious serial killers who've been in prison the last twenty years. Olivia's world falls apart as she struggles with her new identity and new " gifts" begin to emerge.

After a strong start, the story just settled into a rather dull, convoluted journey as Olivia tries to determine whether her parents were actually guilty of the last murders that got them co
Em Lost In Books
2.5*

"Omens" that's all this book offers in terms of UF and Paranormal. Remove those and this is a straight forward mystery where our heroine tries to solve murders from two decades earlier. Few murders felt forced, few parts stretched, and Cainsville biggest mystery of all. Still I found it to be a decent mystery and the lead pair likeable enough to read second book to see where this is heading.
Carmen
Jan 02, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
I was about to sit down when I stopped. Someone was watching me. I could feel it, the hairs on the back of my neck rising. I glanced slowly over my shoulder and -

There was a dog beyond the park fence. Standing in the shadows. A massive dog, the size of a small pony, with thick curling black fur and eyes -

Red eyes.

This book was surprisingly good. You have to wait and give it a chance to get to "good." When I started this, I was like, "Eh. Meh." But by the end I was spinning all these theories (
Giselle
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, own
Omen is very much the first in its series, it is also very much a Kelley Armstrong book. Not to say it's anything like her other work as it's actually quite different, but in terms of wonderfully crafted characters, a world you can see yourself walk the grounds of, and an all-around compelling story, its got the Kelley signature on every page. This is what I've come to expect of her novels, and Omens was not an exception.

Omens tells the story of a young woman with a seemingly perfect life; weal
Tatiana
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy, 2015
Not a bad book, but I can't find any magic in Armstrong's stories any more - where is the excitement, passion, humor? "Omens" felt like a novel written by an old lady. It was a chore to get through.
Rashika (is tired)
Here is a checklist for what I think makes for a super duper awesome book

1. It's original, different from what you usually read. And a bit of creepyness doesn't hurt anyone
2. It has a strong plot
3. Good relationship development
4. Strong lead who knows what their priorities are and doesn't spend the whole time fantasising about the potential love interest while pretending to have a strong dislike for that person
5. If there is a love interest, he/she isn't one dimensional. (In case its a dude, ple
Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede
I read the novella Lost Souls a while back and loved it. Since I never read any of the Cainsville books before I Lost Souls was I eager to get my hands on the first book in the series (and the second and third).

As a big fan of urban fantasy was I curious to see how this series would turn out. Luckily the first book is really good and it was great to get the backstory for the characters in Lost Souls.

Olivia has it all, that's until it's revealed that she was adopted as a child and that her rea
Magdalena
Omens is a multi-layered well-written story with a great set of characters and I really enjoyed the mix of supernatural and mystery in it.
Olivia is a great, gutsy character and I'm really intrigued to see how things turn out for her in the future. I also want to find out more about Gabriel. He's an interesting character with a lot of secrets. Hopefully we get to learn more about him in the next book.
And what about Cainsville? What secrets does this place hide? I definitely want to know more!
Om
Ferdy
Spoilers

-Really enjoyed it. I think I liked this more than Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series. It was nothing groundbreaking, but everything just worked for me — the plot, the writing, the worldbuilding and the characters all kept me hooked.

-Olivia was likeable enough. It was nice reading a heroine who handled the craziness in her life without getting hysterical or annoyingly self pitying. Instead she used the rubbish thrown at her to her own advantage by leaving her privileged home and
Emma
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometimes when you're in a bit of a mood, only a certain type of book will do. I didn't really know what I was looking for, but, undoubtedly, this was it.

I've read most of Kelley Armstrong's stuff but I was pleased to high heaven that this book escaped the UF/PNR labels that she usually goes for. I knew I would get a decent storyline and characters, but I thought they would be overwhelmed by the romance. Instead, I got a thriller with a foundation of paranormal and a hint of romance. For me, th
Emma
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Loved this! I found it so intriguing, trying to work out what on Earth was going on. It raised far more questions than it answered, and I’m very keen to read on in the series. What kind of a place is Cainsville? Who are the elders? What are the hounds and who will send them? Are Olivia/Eden’s parents guilty? Will mind control be a bigger part of the story? I wish I’d grown up in a place with gargoyle hunts!
Cheryl
Jun 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Update: 12 Aug 13 (audiobook)

To get ready for Visions, I had to do a reread - or in this case, a listen. First off, I think they messed up with the narrators. The woman who did Olivia's voice had an older, higher sound that was inconsistent from the beginning of each chapter until she settled into the narrative. Only to get her high voice again at the start of each chapter. It was a little grating. The second narrator - who did all the third person chapters - had a much more sultry sound, thus
Didi
Aug 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 STARS

"A friend helps you move; A real friend helps you move a body."

This was GOOD. Very, very good. I loved it.
I'm a huge fan of KA. Her style of writing is so addictive. She doesn't use flowery prose, doesn't stick to overdone cliches and isn't heavy on the descriptions. What she excels at is writing engaging and maddeningly engrossing plots. Before you know it, you're hooked and completely lost in the intelligence of it all.
From her Otherworld series, the Nadia Stafford series, the City
Mackey
Apparently this is going to be my summer for Urban Fantasy. Having never really dabbled in this genre before, with the exception of the Master, Stephen King, I am finding it interesting, enlightening and just FUN.

Omens is the beginning of a new series for Kelley Armstrong and you can tell throughout that there is a lot of backstory that is being laid down and ultimately a lot of loose ends that are left dangling so that you will keep reading - and I will!

Briefly, Liv Taylor-Jones was raised as
Karina Read
Reread Dec 2018:
Just as much fun as the first time. I really love this series.

First read Apr 2018:
Loved this!!
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Omens was probably my most anticipated read this fall simply because being familiar with Armstrong's writing I just knew I would get something perfect for not only the season but for the paranormal lover inside of me.

Well written, mysterious, and with characters you can't help but love, I completely devoured this read. It left me wondering, full of questions, and eager to begin the next installment. In short, I was completely hooked.

Imaginative writing, a memorable setting, a mystery that will
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reread 11/16/14 - 3.5 stars:

After reading the prequel, The Screams of Dragons , I decided to reread Omens before finally tackling Visions, and I'm really glad that I did.

The background I gained from the prequel, combined with the cumulative knowledge I had from reading this the first time, made for a MUCH better second read.

The characters were more likable once I wasn't totally focused on trying to figure out WTH? was going on. I still thought the main mystery was kind of silly (view spoiler)
♥Rachel♥
DNF @50%
I just figured out there is a love triangle in the coming books, which is still going strong with no resolution in book four. Not going to invest my time in a series when I know that will completely frustrate me.
Susana
3.5 Stars

As sure as the sun eventually rises, I knew that I would read this book one of these days.
When?
Not sure, but I would get to it. After all, it was written by one of my favourite authors.

Strangely _or maybe nor_, it was while I was reading Kelley Armstrong's anthology "Led Astray" that I saw what I was missing out on not having started this series way sooner...although, now, I have the benefit of being able to read three books all in one row. Ahah! :D

So, let's start by calling things by
Natasha
Man. Good good. Real good book. Armstrong knows how to write a series... not just a book. I'm so invested and I've learned... well, nothing. There's so much more I want.

Fuck you, Gabriel! I want to slap you and then kiss you.
Olivia, while at times is annoying, I usually find incredibly lovable and sweet. She's smart and fun as the main character.

Everything in this book works. Everything. Is this really even a romance? There's almost no romance to it. I'm left so damn curious. I don't think I've
Y. C.
May 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Whenever I read a great book, I feel like I should thank the author for giving me that little bubble of enjoyment in my life. Like a well made coffee, or a really pretty jacket. So thank you Kelley Armstrong.

What I liked about this book:

--> The Characters : Holy shit, the characters. Armstrong doesn't write typical characters does she? No, she writes people that are compelling and interesting with different voices and a multitude of personalities. Her characters, for the most part, are not th
Keertana
I doubt there is anything like discovering a book that, after a slow and disappointing start, finally hits its stride - and marvelously so. Armstrong's latest novel may not have the most gripping of beginnings, and I suspect a solid fifty pages could easily be cut off, but after roughly a fifth of the story, it truly takes off. Ever since I read Armstrong's DARKEST POWERS trilogy when it first released, I've been a die-hard fan of the author. I tried my hand at her other adult series, but was sa ...more
Fiona
At first I was surprised that I remembered nothing about this book - I read it just a couple of years ago, in 2013, and I love Kelley Armstrong. Then reality caught up with me, and it turns out 2013 was six years ago. Well.

So this was a re-read, but a very successful one - Kelley Armstrong writes great books, and the only surprise is that it didn't come back to me at all while reading. I half suspect I had the wrong book when I first rated this.

Olivia Taylor-Jones is young, privileged, and yet s
Dana
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Loved this creepy tale of supernatural heiress turned hillbilly. (Just kidding about the hillbilly part).

This was such a great read and I had a lot of fun. I've never read a supernatural book that delved much into omens so that was a cool change.

The characters were great too (even if Liz seemed a little too blase at times about all of the danger she was in). Kelly Armstrong hasn't lost her touch. 4/5
Urban Fantasy Afi...: November Member Choice Reads 3 15 Nov 06, 2015 12:43PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #160 Omens by Kelley Armstrong 1 4 Aug 23, 2015 03:15PM
Casual Readers: {NO SPOILERS} Cainsville Series 1 6 Apr 22, 2015 12:44AM
Casual Readers: OMENS (Cainsville, #1): Official Discussion 1 17 Apr 22, 2015 12:42AM

• Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5)
  • Chimes at Midnight (October Daye, #7)
  • Elysian Fields (Sentinels of New Orleans, #3)
  • Two Weeks' Notice (Revivalist, #2)
  • Oath Bound (Unbound, #3)
  • Evolve: Vampire Stories of the New Undead
  • House Immortal (House Immortal, #1)
  •  The Cold Kiss of Death (Spellcrackers.com, # 2)
  • Mortal Ties (World of the Lupi, #9)
  • The Taken (Celestial Blues, #1)
  • Sirens (Rhonda Parrish's Magical Menageries)
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
  • The Angel Stone (Fairwick Chronicles, #3)
  • Magic Rises (Kate Daniels, #6)
  • Spirit and Dust (Goodnight Family #2)
  • Binds (Binds, #1)

Cainsville (5 books)
  • Visions (Cainsville, #2)
  • Deceptions (Cainsville, #3)
  • Betrayals (Cainsville, #4)
  • Rituals (Cainsville, #5)
“First you buy me a mocha. Then you let me help you hide a body. Now you take me to a biker clubhouse. Best. Day. Ever.” 38 likes
“A friend helps you move; a real friend helps you move a body.” 21 likes