Start by marking “Carpathia” as Want to Read:
Carpathia

Carpathia

It's Titanic meets 30 Days of Night.

When the survivors of the Titanic are picked up by the passenger steamship Carpathia, they thought their problems were over.

But something's sleeping in the darkest recesses of the ship. Something old. Something hungry.

File Under: Fantasy [ Bump In The Night | Unthinkable | Rescue Remedy | 1912 Overture ]
Published February 28th 2012 by Angry Robot (first published January 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Carpathia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carpathia

Start your review of Carpathia
mark monday
May 20, 2014 rated it did not like it
@ $13 + @ 2.5 hours of time to read @ 200 pages =

photo puke_zpsca29211d.gif

except not as fun.

there is just something so enervating about writing a review on a book that turned out to be a frustrating waste of time. I should be angry at myself over the loss of hours and dollars but - poor sport that I am - I find myself angry at the book instead.

fabulous premise: the good ship Carpathia rescues passengers from the Titanic; unfortunately there are vampires on board the rescue ship. uh oh!

terrible execution: grindingly
Bob
Jan 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires
THE FACTS: The Titanic struck an iceberg late on the night of April 14, 1912. The unsinkable ship actually sank rather quickly, taking only about 3 hours to send more than 1,500 passengers and crew to a cold, watery grave. While the Carpathia did come to its rescue, picking up over 700 survivors from the lifeboats, they didn't arrive until almost 2 hours after the Titanic slipped beneath the waves.

THE FICTION: No significant departure from the facts, except for the fact that Carpathia does
Thomas Wagner
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was ok

So it's April 1912, and here I am aboard R.M.S. Titanic, on her maiden voyage. By heaven, she's a lovely ship! Big, too. But I'm a little worried we're getting rather close to that iceberg. Oh I say, we've struck it! Not to worry, old man, everyone knows this ship is unsinkable. What's that? We're sinking anyway? Dash the luck! Off to the lifeboats then. What do you mean, there's no more room? Blimey. Rest assured I'll write a strongly worded letter to the White Star Line about this!
Ben Babcock
With its hundredth anniversary just last month, Titanic was all over the media, much to my dad’s chagrin. He doesn’t understand why everyone seems so fascinated by Titanic (the ship or the James Cameron movie). I personally don’t care much for the movie, but I can see why the ship has captured so many imaginations. It was a huge testament to human ingenuity—and hubris. Its sinking was a monumental event in the early twentieth century. Not only was the loss of life considerable—and perhaps ...more
Bobby
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was ok
Enjoyed it until the final confrontation and then the dialogue took all the steam out of the story. Lines like "You leave him alone" when it's a dire and vicious moment were almost laughable. The protagonists seemed to feel no terror when there should have been immense fear and striving for survival. Was entertaining up to that point and then the author seemed to rush to the finale with a lot cliches and predictable endings.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
I was really excited to read this based on the summary (vampires and the sinking of the Titanic!), but it wasn't at all like I expected. Though I loved the idea, I wasn't very impressed with the story which started out strong and slowly began losing its steam. There was also something about the dialogue between the characters; I found the conversations very awkward.
Marty
Jun 08, 2012 rated it did not like it
Milo (BOK)
Original Post: http://thefoundingfields.com/2012/02/...

I don’t read that much horror, despite the fact that I probably should. I believe the last horror novel that I read was The Concrete Grove by Gary McMahon. So, I was delighted when I found that a copy of Carpathia by Matt Forbeck arrived at my doorstep a couple of days before Christmas. And to be honest, I don’t really know why I put this off that long.

I think we all know about the story of the Titanic, the famous unsinkable ship that hits
Chris Bauer
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
I won a copy of this book in the "Crossing the Streams" contest sponsored by authors like Ari Marmel, Matt Forbeck and about a dozen others.

I really enjoyed reading this work. There were a few typos and one or two sentences which had me scratching my head, but really a fantastic novel.

I won't ruin the book by providing a "spoiler" synopsis, but the back of the book pretty much sums it up. "Lucky" survivors of the Titanic are plucked from the cold waters by another vessel, the Carpathia. By the
Chelsea
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took nothing more than the words titanic and vampires to get me interested. An awesome idea am I right? And Matt Forbeck pulled it off for the most part. The first half of the book was phenomenal but it slightly lost steam in the last hundred or pages or so.

Basically its about two men torn between one girl. Both are in love with this girl and when titanic goes down, Quin who has kept his feelings a secret resolves to tell Lucy if he sees her again. Little do they know that on the ship
Joseph
Apr 10, 2013 rated it liked it
A brilliant idea -- what if the Carpathia, the ship that picked up the Titanic surviors was infested with vampires -- and a lot of fun. We begin almost literally with the Titanic hitting the iceberg, and things only get worse from there. I can only hope that someone somewhere has acquired the film rights.
Abhinav
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shadowhawk reviews Matt Forbeck’s next novel for Angry Robot Books, a part-romance, part-fantasy novel about the Titanic and vampires.

“If you thought that the sinking of the Titanic was the only disaster that night then think again for the truly scary vampires are now back on the scene.” ~ The Founding Fields

People who know me through the Bolthole and elsewhere know that for the last few years my reading has almost exclusively consisted of Black Library fiction. While that may sound fantastic at
Dan
May 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It’s been called Titanic meets 30 Days of Night. And thats exactly what it is, and was what caught my attention when I read about it on vampires.com. Storytelling mastermind, Matt Forbeck, brings us Carpathia, a story about…as the reviews said…. “What would happen if Bram Stoker threw an Iceberg at James Cameron?” Its a must read for any vampire fan or history buff.

Now, some people might roll their eyes at this book being that, like Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter, it is another monster
Michael
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
April 1912. Childhood friends Quincey Harker, Abe Holmwood, and Lucy Seward are leaving England aboard the Titanic and steaming their way to America, where Quincey has accepted a job as a solicitor at a New York law firm and Lucy is attending college in Boston after she and Abe, her suitor, travel the country. But fate, in the form of an iceberg, intervenes and Quincey, Abe, and Lucy find themselves fighting for their lives in the cold North Atlantic.
Soon, the passenger ship Carpathia arrives
Timothy Ward
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Matt really pulls the reader in from the start, and for me, propelled this book to the top of my reading list just from reading the first few pages. You have a fun lovers' triangle going on between three humans on the Titanic. Quin and Abe are best friends. Abe is engaged to Lucy, but Quin is in love with Lucy. I really like these three, and it was a lot of fun reading their banter and waiting to find out if Quin would tell Lucy about his feelings for her. This may be an alternate history about ...more
William M.
Mar 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, drama
4 AND 1/2 STARS

I picked this book up because of the cool concept of vampires out on the ocean during the Titanic disaster. What a strange place for a vampire story, but author Matt Forbeck pulls it off brilliantly. Carpathia reads like a classic and the characters are so likeable that you find yourself rooting for their survival throughout each dangerous chapter.

Author Forbeck writes with a very smooth prose, writing dialogue that feels very much like it must have been in 1912. I felt
Stephanie Campolito
Jan 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This book is very much Titanic meets Dracula. You get to live through the horrors of being on board the Titanic when it sinks. Then once you are rescued you have to live through other horrors that are just as horrific if not worse than the Titanic sinking. You get wrapped up in this story line where the end of each chapter leaves you wondering what is going to happen next. I really like how different chapters are done through different characters perspectives rather than you only seeing ...more
Rimma
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Read

Well, it is horror category book and I did like it.
The book is full of actions. As three friends take aboard famous Titanic, they all looking forward to an exciting future new school and job in America. However find themself alongside small group of survivors on board of Carpathian. While horror of the lost people from Titanic is still on their shoulder they just in the beginning of our story.
The captain change its course to take saved
Courtney
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
The cover caught my eye and after reading the summary----Titanic survivors and vampires?---Pfft, I'm in.
The book starts off with the iceberg of course, then following our 3 main characters through their night in the icy Atlantic. Each chapter was pretty short and alternated between our three heroes and the two main vampires. I'm glad Forbeck did it this way, because you get to explore each person/vampire's perspective as events unfold.
Thankfully the end was satisfying and the love triangle
T English
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
I like historical fiction. I like vampires that don't sparkle and are fierce. This book has all of that in abundance. The story catches you from beginning with interesting characters, in a setting we've all read about or seen in movies and/or television. But it still comes across as fresh and different than vampire stories out there today.

It's a fun vampire killing romp. A worthy tribute to Mr. Stoker's original bloodsucker. I enjoyed this book. If you're looking for a fun, well paced, and
Jess Faraday
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it
A great premise: The Titanic sinks. The Carpathia, steaming to the rescue, is infested with vampires. Adventure ensues. A romantic triangle takes things a little deeper, making it more than your average monster story. Clean prose keeps things moving. A few historical errors that closer research might have caught. A few vocabulary anachronisms that probably most people wouldn't care about. But a quick, enjoyable read all the same.
Kent
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
A quick, fun read! Mr. Forbeck has a knack for creating interesting characters, with no extraneous back-story weighing them down (I wanted to see more of Dale). You have everything you need to enjoy the story you are reading, with relevant history popping up when needed. This is especially well done (and amusing) when our heroes reminisce about their childhood and "Uncle Bram's book."
Dunktdunk
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This is one of the better books I have read in the past few months. I really enjoyed the historical aspects to the story coupled with the new vampire craze. An easy, fun, and fast read that kept me entertained till the end. My only complaint follows that of another reviewer, it ended to soon and without really fulfilling the readers expectations and or questions.
David Marshall
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a first class historical horror novel as the Carpathia steams to the rescue of those pitched into the icy waters of the Atlantic. We all know the story of the Titanic. This is what happened to the survivors in the water, and after the lucky ones were rescued and began what they believed would be the journey to safety.

Jared
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful What if...? alternate history involving vampires attacking the sinking Titanic. That pretty much sums up all you need to know, other than it is a completely wild, fun and gruesome romp. If you're looking for a light, fun vampire read you're going to love this book. Confidential to the author: please give Lucy her own spin-off!
KC
Feb 17, 2012 rated it it was ok
Titanic sinks, those who survived are rescued by the Carpathia. On board are a group of vampires who are on their way back to Europe. Lucy and her childhood friend, Quinn, discover this only when some of the vampires start to attack the passengers.
It was just okay.
Ken
Mar 15, 2012 rated it liked it
What do you get when you mix Titanic with vampires? You get Matt Forbeck's Carpathia. If you love the classic Hammer Horror Films then you should definitely pick up this book. A little silly but very fun indeed.

(More at http://www.paperlessreading.com/2012/...)
Brian
Jan 08, 2017 rated it liked it
An entertaining book, Carpathia reads more like an adventure story with supernatural elements rather than a horror novel. Overall, it was a fun, interesting take on the story of the Titanic and the Carpathia.
Deanne
Jan 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: paranormal
In the aftermath of the Titanic three survivors are picked up by the Carpathia, unfortunately it's a bit like out of the frying pan and into the fire.
Fun read as long as you don't take things to seriously.
John
Mar 22, 2012 added it
Shelves: read-in-2012
Vampires on the Titanic, solidly done and an easy read. Recommended if this historical horror concept tickles your fancy.
« previous 1 3 next »
VAMPIRES DON'T SP...: Carpathia 2 9 Dec 12, 2013 10:05AM
VAMPS-R-US: Carpathia 1 4 Dec 08, 2013 01:48PM

• Every Dead Thing (Charlie Parker, #1)
  • Invisible Ink: How 100 Great Authors Disappeared
  • Devil in The Darkness: The True Story of Serial Killer Israel Keyes
  • The Last Stone
  • Chase Darkness with Me: How One True-Crime Writer Started Solving Murders
  • The Devil You Know (Felix Castor, #1)
  • Beast (Six Stories, #4)
  • Last Call (Fault Lines, #1)
  • Who Fears The Devil
  • MoonFall (MoonFall Series Book 1)
  • The Very Best of Charles de Lint
  • Black Dog (American Gods, #1.2)
  • The Wine of Angels (Merrily Watkins, #1)
  • Fire  Chasm
  • The Body Counter (Detective Jude Fontaine Mysteries, #2)
  • Empire of Dirt (The Echoes Saga, #2)
  • In a Small Town (A Small Town, #1)
  • Cold Blooded
I'm an award-winning, New York Times-bestselling author and game designer and happily married father of five, including a set of quadruplets. For more on my work, see Forbeck.com.
“Right." Doctor Cherryman's face lit up. Here was a way for him to grapple with the problem that the reality of vampires had presented to him. "Let's say vampires exist. What does that mean?"
"That they're bloodsucking murderers here to kill us all?" Lucy and the Doctor gaped at Quin's bald-faced assessment.
"Tell me I'm wrong," Quin said.”
1 likes