Start by marking “Heldenplatz” as Want to Read:
Heldenplatz

Heldenplatz

Am 15. März 1938 verkündete Adolf Hitler unter den Jubelrufen der anwesenden Wiener auf dem Heldenplatz den Anschluß Österreichs an Deutschland. 50 Jahre später versammeln sich in einer Wohnung in der Nähe des Heldenplatzes die Familie Schuster und deren engste Freunde. Der Anlaß: das Begräbnis von Professor Josef Schuster. Für diesen philosophischen Kopf, von den Nazis ...more
Published 1995 by Suhrkamp (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Heldenplatz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heldenplatz

Start your review of Heldenplatz
Lisa
Aug 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
After the Nazi era, is there a place in the public space for war heroes?

In his inimitable style, Thomas Bernhard shows the everyday fascism of conventional, conservative society, and the pain it causes victims and sensitive thinkers. A professor, driven away from Vienna during the Nazi regime, returns to the city after the war, only to realise he cant stomach the stupid and blind arrogance of its inhabitants who never truly turn their backs on the ideology of national socialism. He buys an
Jeff Jackson
Feb 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nest-foulers of all nationalities
Shelves: theater
Thomas Bernhard's final play, which caused a riot when it premiered in Vienna, represents the absolute zenith of one of his most important themes - the unspeakable rottenness of Austria. The title of the play refers to the packed public square where Hitler was greeted as a hero by countless cheering Austrians in 1938. The characters in the play remark "there are more Nazis in Vienna now than there were in 1938" and "scratch under the skin of any Austrian today and you'll quickly find a mass ...more
Antônio Xerxenesky
Resenha (edição da ed. temporal) em breve.
Faye*
Jan 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
---
Ruth
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ein österreichischer Klassiker, der in der heutigen Zeit und der derzeitigen politischen Lage umso aktueller denn je ist.
ReemK10 (Paper Pills)
There is something really sad about reading Heldenplatz and knowing that life imitated art for Thomas Bernhard. He was a real character. Austria didn't know what to do with her unruly son.

But I find
Vienna is very amusing
Amusing interesting amusing

Getting to know Austria via Bernhard's novels has been exceptionally exhilarating!

Check out #Bernhard2018 #Heldenplatz for more.
AnnaKarenina
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Me and Thomas Bernhard go a long way back, this was my first book of this brilliant author, who became one of the most touching authors for me.

I agree, you have to like Bernhard to really enjoy his work, for me this play was love at first read, overall I read it about 6 times already and it is one of my - I read i every years books.

It is a very deep book about people being haunted from the past, even though the war is over, they still feel haunted by the events which took place. While reading
Marija
Sadly, I found this book to irritating to enjoy. It was easy to read but not fun at all.
Carla
Dec 17, 2018 added it
Shelves: uni
Another Uni book
Korhan Kalabalık
Avusturya'nın Naziler tarafından işgalinden sonra İngiltere'ye giden Profesör Schuster'in yıllar sonra belediye başkanının daveti üzerine şehri olan Viyana'ya dönmesi ve burada yaşanan olayların anlatıldığı Bernhard eseri, Avusturya toplumuna yönelik sert eleştirilerden biri. Schuster'in en az işgal yılları kadar kötü, sığ, kültürsüz ve faşist bulduğu Viyana trajik bir ölüme sahne olacaktır. Oyun bu trajedinin ardından aile üyeleri ve dostlarının Avusturya'nın köhne politik ve kültürel atmosferi ...more
Ben
May 08, 2008 rated it liked it
When the text of a play includes no punctuation and whose lines are divided clearly yet seemingly arbitrarily, I generally assume there is a great deal of depth in the artistry. And that it's kind of a pretentious play. That being said, one need not wade out too deep to get to the main thrust of "Heldenplatz (Heroes' Square)," and that is: Austria sucks. When I read the phrase "things are worse now that fifty years ago (i.e. when Hitler annexed Austria to Germany)," it doesn't take a scholar of ...more
Oleg
Mar 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best plays of the century, by one of its greatest playwrights.
Olivia
Jun 01, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Heldenplatz, a small group of people try to deal with a suicide, as well as with the city theyre in, and the way its betrayed them all. The play premiered in 1988, its name referring to the Viennese square where cheering crowds welcomed Hitler 50 years earlier. It quickly caused a scandal, sparking protests in Vienna before it even got to the stage. Of course, this all managed to spark my interest in the play.

As we enter the book, jewish professor Schuster has taken his own life by throwing
Ailén
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alemania, teatro
Brillante obra de Thomas Bernhard.
Si bien está escrita en un estilo algo enroscado y confuso donde los personajes repiten sus palabras, no escuchan a los demás y parece no haber una verdadera comunicación entre ellos, creo que eso la vuelve todavía más interesante puesto que descoloca al lector y lo interpela a que tenga una recepción más consciente y activa en el acto de leer.
Relata con mucha crudeza la vida cotidiana de la sociedad austriaca post-nazismo y sus miserias más crueles. Así pues,
Marco
Mar 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Contundente, devastante, entusiasmante, definitivo. Thomas Bernhard fa i conti con l'Austria una volta per tutte e in tre ore di teatro torna a recidere "a colpi d'ascia" ogni elemento che si frappone tra lui e il suo odio-amore verso il suo Paese.
Un testo potente e geniale, assolutamente imperdibile per chi ama Bernhard. Consiglio di lettura: dopo averlo letto una prima volta, consiglio caldamente di usare il testo come sottotitoli mentre si guarda l'intera opera su Youtube in tedesco (
Natalie
Mar 20, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ich musste dieses Buch für die Schule lesen. Es war im Großen und Ganzen ein gutes Buch, aber ich bin einfach kein Fan von Dramen. Meiner Meinung nach sollten sie nur im Theater aufgeführt werden. Dennoch fand ich es interessant zu lesen, obwohl es ein bisschen langweilig ist. Aber sehr provozierend!
v.
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Que a Bernhard lle andaran nas orellas por esta obra ten sentido porque é unha movida moi tocha que sirve pa Europa de 2k19
Lina
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
CONTENT WARNINGS for this play: Suicide. Anti-semitism.
Sylvia
Dec 12, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars?
Dora Kelemen
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dach-literature
Exactly 30 years later this piece disturbingly reminds me of one other small country ...
Nina-Kristin
Los sonidos sobreviven.
Johann Guenther
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
BERNHARD, Thomas: Heldenplatz, Frankfurt 1995
Ein Stück im Theater zu sehen oder zu lesen ist ein großer Unterschied. Man kann beim Lesen mehr genießen. Die Worte wie Perlen einer Kette durch die Finger gleiten zu lassen.
Als es schon nach dem Tod Bernhards im Burgtheater uraufgeführt wurde war es ein Skandal, wenn man es heute, Jahrzehnte später liest, ist harmlos und nicht mehr anstößig.
Ein Universitätsprofessor begeht Selbstmord. Er erträgt Österreich und die Österreicher nicht mehr. Er und
Moni
Jan 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Ein Theaterstück von Thomas Bernhard. Nicht einfach zu lesen, es gespielt zu sehen muss die Stimmung des Buches besser verdeutlichen.
Zum Inhalt: Familie, Freunde und Angestellte des durch Selbstmord aus dem Leben geschiedenen Professor Schuster unterhalten sich über den Toten und dessen Welt.
Wenn ich ehrlich bin, fand ich das Buch ziemlich fad, vielleicht würde es mir als Theater besser gefallen.
Ruby
Apr 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: play, y2013, german
3.5
A bit like Alte Meister in the sense that it starts out brilliantly, but then moves towards one enormous rant. But this particular rant is better executed then Alte Meister was. Heldenplatz also benefits from the fact that it is a play, I think.
David
Mar 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2011
When I feel despair about the state of the US, Bernhard is a great person to read. He expresses quite powerfully the sadness and frustration that comes along with watching a nation (Austria, for him) choose mediocrity and corruption, time and again.

It's too bad his vivisection of Austria is so easily applied to other nations. Sigh.
Κώστας Λεϊμονής
Πολύ καλό (θα έβαζα 3,5 στα 5 αν μου δινόταν η ευκαιρία), αλλά η πλοκή περιστρέφεται συχνά γύρω από το θέμα της αυτοκτονίας κάνοντάς το έντονα καταθλιπτικό. Είναι προσωπικά ακατανόητη η παντελής έλλειψη σημείων στίξης στο κείμενο.
Kegel
Jul 08, 2010 rated it did not like it
This is my least favourite book ever. I had to read it for school and felt like vomiting every other page because it makes the world to be such a horrible place that we should just all go and kill ourselves, shouldn't we?
Bodine
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was ok
Het begin was pittig, omdat ik niet snapte wie wie was. Toen ik dat eenmaal had opgezocht in het handige overzichtje voorin het boek, las het allemaal heel vlot. Verder heb ik er eigenlijk niet echt een uitgesproken mening over. Het was wel prima.
Anica
Jun 24, 2007 rated it did not like it
Shelves: classics
Wie sagte mein einer Dozi: "Thomas Bernhardt's hingerotzter Müll..."

Wie wahr!!
André
Jun 10, 2008 marked it as to-read
Recommended to André by: Gudrun Krause
Shelves: school
I'd like to add a different photo for this book. My version looks different. How do I do this? Anyways... no, I think we bought it but didn't really read it at school. Or I didn't. Is this a translation from Pirahã? All the sentences in the book are as short as a single line.
Dominik Jaworski
Oct 30, 2008
Joseph
Dec 18, 2008
Désiré Brendel
rated it did not like it
Jan 23, 2009

• Der Schüler Gerber
  • Lieutenant Gustl
  • Nathan der Weise
  • Tonio Kröger
Thomas Bernhard was an Austrian author, who ranks among the most distinguished German speaking writers of the second half of the 20th century.

Although internationally he's most acclaimed because of his novels, he was also a prolific playwright. His characters were oftenly working in a lifetime and never-ending major work while they deal with themes such as suicide, madness and obsession and, as