Start by marking “The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Nano Flower (Greg Mandel, #3)

The Nano Flower

(Greg Mandel #3)

Following Mindstar Rising and A Quantum Murder, the final book in the Greg Mandel trilogy, The Nano Flower by Peter F. Hamilton is a gripping and heart-stopping sci-fi detective story.

Julia Evans, billionairess owner of Event Horizon, has for fifteen years been the power behind England's economic renaissance - but now she's in trouble.

With her husband missing, and rival c

Published October 1st 2011 (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Nano Flower, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Nano Flower

T.I.M. James
I was a bit apprehensive about starting this book - I'm a big Peter F Hamilton fan, but as good as his earlier work is, it does not compare to the Reality Dysfunction and beyond.

I should not have worried, this, the last of the Greg Mandel books shows a writer really starting to come into his own.

It deals with big themes (especially the end), a rapidly escalating situation, some dynamic action sequences, while keeping true to the characters established in the earlier novels.

There is a genuine
Readelf
I really love the Greg Mandel books and would have given them 5 stars as they were particular favourites when I was a teenager, however on a re-read I find the concept of a conservative government and benevolent captalism saving the day (particularly as embodied by Julia Evans) rather galling.

The concept is great fun though. An ex-army commando acquires a useable psychic ability as part of a military experiment and then uses his ability to set himself up as a private detective. The Psi Boost (m
Tamahome
Jan 28, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: space-opera
It starts with a robot cockroach being dropped into a toilet. Tee hee!

5/18 hrs - Good characters and tech, and the possibility of aliens. Now this is the Hamilton I know and love.

16/18 hrs - Seeing some ideas from his next Night's Dawn trilogy. There was actually a lot of action around 9 hours. It almost felt like the end of a book. I'm sure some action is coming up now.

All done. The conclusion was very 'organic'. There were definitely precursors to his later work. I loved the female tech merc c
Sara
This is the third book in the Greg Mandel trilogy (series?) and by far the weakest of the lot. Each book is completely self-contained, and I wish I'd stopped with the last one instead of continuing to read this. This takes place years after the last book ended. The husband of ultra-rich businesswoman Julia Evans goes missing before the book opens. She is sent a flower from him that appears to have come from space somewhere, as it features alien technology, but she doesn't know what it means or h ...more
Koen
Aug 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
“The Nano Flower” is written by Peter F. Hamilton and is the third Greg Mandel book of three. ISB number 978-0-812-57769-8, first published in 1998 by Tor.

First of all I would like to mention that the illustration of the book is for e a little bit disappointing. The cover art is by Barclay Shaw and the cover design by Carol Russo Design printed in America. For me the cover is important and must have some relation with the story and the setting of the story. When I look at the cover it gives me m
Michael
It's an OK Peter F. Hamilton book.
If you have read The Night's Dawn Trilogy and The Commonwealth Saga you don't really need to bother with this book, but it's OK if you are a completionist.
Matt Schiariti
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed The Nano Flower..up until the ending...It's not that it's a 'bad' ending exactly, it's just that the latter portions of the novel get a little strange...

the book's been summarized pretty well in the editorial excerpts as well as the previous reviewers' statements so I won't go into that in any great depth.

Greg's pulled out of retirement (once again) by Julia Evans (you guessed it) because she gets a note from her missing lover Royan, delivered by a known consort (read, call girl
Simon Mcleish
Oct 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Originally published on my blog here in November 2000.

The third Greg Mandel novel is, like its predecessors, obviously flawed; unlike them, it is more a thriller than a mystery. It is set the better part of two decades later, when Greg and his wife Eleanor have teenage children, and Greg's friend and employer (billionaire industrialist Julia Evans) has a husband and children of her own. Had a husband, I should say, for he has gone missing before the start of the novel. The story begins when a fl
Rob
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book in the Mandel series. It was very awesome. Just as good as the first, though different, and far better than the 2nd. And it's the only one in the series that can possibly be classified as a space opera.

Note that you can safely skip the 2nd book in the series and only read #1 and #3 if you want. This one takes place 15 years after the 2nd book and the plot is not contiguous except for the introduction of a couple minor characters.

Hamilton's story pacing, action sequences, and world
korty
Oct 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Peter Hamilton book I ever read although it is the third in the trilogy. I found it as an import, and thank goodness for that because if I had first encountered this book through the (original) US version, I never would have picked it up, because the cover is absolutely atrocious. That would have been a shame, because this is a wonderful near future cyber thriller. The first book is good. The second one I did not like very much. But this one is a classic. It is set in the UK an ...more
Robert
Jan 03, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf
The third Greg Mandel novel finds Hamilton straining the limits of his post-Warming, post socialist tyrany, hi-tech world of psychics and corporate espionage: suddenly we have an alien flower and visits to space. This is a thriller more in the vein of the first Mandel novel, Mindstar Rising, than the formal murder-mystery of the second. That's probably why I prefer the middle novel: Hamilton is at his best when writing detective stories.
Tanya Korval
Jan 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For the final book in the Greg Mandel series, Hamilton gives him his biggest case. Greg's journey is well drawn and convincing: he's changed considerably since the first book and it's a shame to see him hang up his psychic powers. Hamilton caps off the series nicely: it's sad to see it end, but it's always good to see a series finish on high rather than left open for a sequel that never comes.
Richard Bickerton
The last Book in the Mandel series. I have to say I am sad to have finished them. I like Hamilton's vision of the future,the characters and character development and story lines. As such I have read almost all his published work. It seems he has explored several time periods in earths future. Though the characters in this book were getting older it is a shame they have passed out of time.
William
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another fine Greg Mandel sci-fi mystery, with many the familiar and loved cast of characters of the first two books. The Nano Flower is creative and clever often, but truly a pre-cursor to the wonderful work of Pandora's Star and the subsequent books of the Commonwealth Universe.
Gregg
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Third in the series. I liked the others, but the main characters seemed out-of-character of sorts in this one. I put this one down much more than the previous and I don't think I will recommend this one.
Len
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most "Hamilton" of the 3 Greg Mandel books and I also notice some idea he later expanded on in his other books. Fun read.
Valerie
Dec 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've never met a Mandel book I didn't like
Patrick
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the first half or the "scene setting" - but found it then meandered a bit too much towards a slightly unsatifying conclusion . . .
Costin Manda
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Something happened to Peter F. Hamilton between the second and third volumes of the Greg Mandel trilogy. He turned from a good average writing style to a great one. The Nano Flower is almost at the same level as Pandora's Star and births Hamilton's detailed universe. No wonder there was no fourth novel in the series, it would only drag the writer down.

The book has everything I came to expect from Peter F. Hamilton: hard sci-fi, detailed sociopolitical context, aliens, the party of braves, the so
Fatman
Jun 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't think that The Nano Flower was as good as the previous two books in the trilogy. (view spoiler) It sort of feels like it was written only to tie in the trilogy to the author's later novels (will know for sure once I've read those).

But one can't deny Peter F. Hamilton's talent and great writing style. I don't like space opera,
Daniel Christensen
Fair conclusion to the trilogy.

About 15 years have passed, and the gang are all back together for one last adventure...

As in the previous books, I feel like the author is trying to say something wise about politics and economics, but having the uber uber rich say it as one of his main characters grates on me.

This book also felt a bit long, and the shift from cyber-punk with a hint of psychic powers to hard-edged sci-fi didn't work for me.

There was also the (nigh inevitable) power escalation tha
Craig Dean
J FRANKS
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-sci-fi
Classic Hamilton

This novel takes the mind star series from sci fi crime to pure sci-fi. A self contained story, although good to have read the previous books to know the characters. Fast paced with sufficient plot twists to keep things interesting and stop you thinking too hard about the gaps.
Marianne
Have read only #2 and 3. I believe this also would stand well as a solo book, like book 2, but perhaps not quite as well.

A very rich person hires a psychic detective and some war criminals to find her husband (view spoiler). Explosions and stilted drama ensue.
Andrew Spink
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, english
As always, Peter F. Hamilton demonstrates his dazzling imagination and eye for a good plot. The stereotyping is a bit dated in parts (a gay character who really wants to be straight?) but other than that definitely a good read.
Roy
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
ok until the end which is poor
gradedog
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Takes place several years later than in the previous books. Interesting to see the directions take by the characters and the future of the world they helped shape.
Tom Huggins
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the series, really liked the continued character development Snowy, Ryan, Greg and all the rest.
Steven Willmott
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
Probably the best of the Greg Mandel novels - an interesting complex story and satisfying ending.
Dave H
Oct 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Another strong outing from Peter Hamilton.

Slight dip the end bit overall very good. Mandel and Julia remain well rounded characters and the story moves along at a good rate.
  • The Voyage of the Sable Keech (Spatterjay, #2)
  • The Trikon Deception
  • School of Fire (Starfist, #2)
  • Starhawk (The Academy, #7)
  • Scattered Suns (The Saga of Seven Suns, #4)
  • Nova War (The Shoal Sequence, #2)
  • Dark Light (Engines Of Light, #2)
  • Century Rain
  • The Dog From Hell (Star Risk, #4)
Peter F. Hamilton is a British science fiction author. He is best known for writing space opera. As of the publication of his tenth novel in 2004, his works had sold over two million copies worldwide, making him Britain's biggest-selling science fiction author.

Greg Mandel (3 books)
  • Mindstar Rising (Greg Mandel, #1)
  • A Quantum Murder (Greg Mandel, #2)