Start by marking “The Last Echo (The Body Finder, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Last Echo (The Body Finder, #3)

The Last Echo

(The Body Finder #3)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  12,817 Ratings  ·  1,051 Reviews
Violet has always kept her strange ability to sense dead bodies a secret from everyone except her family and best-friend-turned-boyfriend Jay. But now she's using her gift to help track down murderers, working in a group that includes the mysterious and dangerously attractive Rafe. When Violet discovers the body of a college girl murdered by "the girlfriend collector", she ...more
Published March 29th 2012 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about The Last Echo, please sign up.
Recent Questions
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Lindsay
The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting

Pre-Review:
Even though I'm so incredibly excited for this book to come out, I've got a few issues that I'm worrying about. Okay, one particularly specific issue in mind:

Rafe

I don't like Rafe because I have a feeling Kimberly Derting's going to pull a Twilight and throw in a love triangle. And I honestly don't want this to happen! JAY + VIOLET! They're perfect! Let them stay together!

I would be so happy if:
-Rafe hits on Vi but she doesn't even give him the time of day
-Jay takes his shirt off
-Jay
Carla *Jen7waters*
I’m so angry right now! SO ANGRY!
Why Kimberly, why? Why is this book about RafeRafeRafe? Why couldn’t you have started another series if you wanted to tell his story, instead of just making him pretty much the leading character of The Last Echo, when it should have been all about Violet?? WHYYY? This was one of my favorite series! And now it’s ruined, ruined, ruined!! Damn you “Third Book In A Series Curse”, damn you!!!
I never thought that a The Body Finder novel could ever bore me to tears, bu
Ellen
Sep 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: loveeee, read-in-2012
I just finished Desires of the Dead, and I am going to be sooooo upset if she gets with Rafe! Does the main character always need to attract two guys??? Why can't they ever just be happy with what they have and leave the other guy aloneeeeee? Honestly, it makes me so mad. The odds of a girl finding ONE amazing guy is extremely slim, but TWO? Really? Still, I cant wait for the next one. April can't come fast enough...
Edit After Reading:
PLEASE, OH PLEASE, MAKE THE LOVE TRIANGLES STOP!
Princess Bookie
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read2011
My Thoughts: And I thought The Body Finder and Desires Of The Dead were awesome books. The Last Echo is by far the best in the series so far.

We are back with Violet who can see imprints. Remember, she can see the imprints of dead people on the killers bodies. Jay, her super cool boyfriend is also around throughout the novel. He is there to help Violet get through life with her special abilities.

Violet is working with a group of people who have similar abilities to hers. There is Sam, Sarah, Rafe
Sadia
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Derting is pretty freaking awesome.

How else can you explain how this author makes you nearly understand, nearly feel sorry for a KILLER? And I ask myself.. nearly? Or did I actually feel sympathy and sadness for a person who killed innocent victims? You know what? I think I did.. the way the author describes this killer, you know he isn't mentally stable, you know he was messed up beyond recognition as a kid (that by no means justifies killing, however! Calm it. And put the knife back down now
~Tina~
There is something so amazing about Kimberly Derting's books. I wish I could say I've come a long way from being the total chicken-sh!t that I am, but really it's all Derting. I love the way she lets the readers connect with each psychopath in each book but she leaves plenty of room for all those lovely romantic moments.
I don't seem to realize how much I actually miss this world till I'm right back in it.

The Last Echo, feels a bit different from the rest of the books, but I actually like the d
Mary
Apr 23, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED the first book, the second was ok, but now it's time to let it be, another series to go down the drain. Kimberly Derting is great writing the bad guys POV, it's scary, creepy and interesting, but her teenagers are the most annoying bunch, specially Violet in this book, she's always asking obvious questions: "it is not, is it?" He would not, would he?" ANNOYING.

And don't get me started with the organization, men in black is in the house, just ridiculous.

Everything that I loved in the fi
Amaryllis
This is my first comment ever on Goodreads!
I never felt the urge to express my opinion about any book... until today. Which is weird because I finished "The last echo" several days ago. Even weirder is the fact that I actually DREAMT of the book last night! THIS. IS. CRAZY. It was a ho-rri-ble nightmare. Which says a lot about how much I disliked the book (for it to have such an impact on my conscience...)

I agree with people who think we should not judge a book by its romance. I really do. But
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
Violet has a strange ability to sense the echoes of dead bodies and the imprints on their killers. Feeling shunned her whole life due to her ability, she’s recently joined a special investigative team of teenagers with powers to solve crimes. Will Violet feel like she finally belongs?

The Last Echo is the third in The Body Finder series which delves into Violet’s struggles in fitting with a new group, a looming love triangle with her boyfriend Jay and the mysterious Rafe, and a serial killer on t
Jonababez
Loved it! I like the fact that there was the killer's profile and how he became like that.And what I like the most is the information about Rafe and Sara. I just don't like the fact that Rafe likes Violet, he should have someone else. Anyway, I can't wait for the third book, so freaking hard to wait for next year!
Emma
Jul 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I just finished Desires of the Dead today, I'm dying for this book to come out!
Alexa

My review can also be found on my blog Collections.

May contain minor spoilers.

This was an interesting installment in the Body Finder series. It frustrated me and yet reminded me how much I loved the first book The Body Finder. While I couldn't bring myself to appreciate certain aspects, I think if you're a fan of the events that occurred in the second book Desires of the Dead you'll probably enjoy The Last Echo.

As I mentioned in my review for Desires of the Dead, there were some changes compared
Colleen Houck
I was really nervous about this one. The bad guy was hands down the worse one so far. Creepy lilac fingernail polish! I don't think I can wear purple on my nails ever again. Kimberly really upped the heebie jeebie factor this time. (Shudder) Great read!
Elle!
Thanks Kimberly Derting, HarperCollins Publishing and Goodreads for allowing me the opportunity to read this book!!! Enough of that stuff - let me get on with this review , it took my weeks to finish this book which says a lot.

So Violet works for a government group to catch murderers. When a female is missing, Violet and the group latch on to a murderer called the "Girlfriend Collector" a sadistic , handsome, creep who kills in the name of love. So this blessed chick, Violet can see the imprint
Jen (The Starry-Eyed Revue)
Okay, I’m going to get right to it. If you haven’t read the first two books in The Body Finder series, beware that there may be spoilers ahead for those books. I’ll try not to include spoilers, but I can’t promise that something I don’t think is a spoiler for the other books won’t seem spoilery to you. My apologies in advance. You have been warned. :0)

I won my signed copy of Desires of the Dead from the author herself, but I hadn’t really heard much about the series until that point. Of cour
Reading Teen
At a Glance:

Kimberly Derting doesn't just do it again, she does it bigger, better, scarier, and more intensely than before! The Last Echo was exhilarating and nerve-wracking, keeping you constantly on your toes and holding your breath the whole time!

So How Did This One Compare?

I adored The Body Finder, and really liked Desires of the Dead. I think The Last Echo was every bit as good as book one. It had a different feel than The Body Finder, though. It was much creepier and darker. While I though
All Things Urban Fantasy
Review courtesy of All Things Urban Fantasy

If, like me, you were a little underwhelmed by the villain in DESIRES OF THE DEAD, you’ll be glad to know that in Kimberly Derting’s THE LAST ECHO, Violet finds herself once again in the crosshairs of a serial killer. As with the phenomenal debut, I was creeped out and afraid while reading, two emotions that helped make THE BODY FINDER and now THE LAST ECHO such powerful books. I actually found myself anticipating the serial killer POV chapters because
♥ Sarah
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This third installment of THE BODY FINDER series stepped up the intensity a couple notches. This one is my favorite so far.

This time around, the romantic focus between V and Jay are put on hold, as V tries to juggle her double life, and her conflicting feelings for Rafe.

What I enjoyed:
+ The little glimpses of the villain's POV (which adds to the mystery and tension, while providing eerily compelling insight)
+ Revelations of Rafe's past
+ Rafe and Violet moments
+ The darker shift in tone of the
ILoveBooks
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc

Dying for the next Body Finder novel? Well, readers won't be disappointed. The book picks up from the last novel with Violet working in a group to find murderers. Violet and Jay's romance remains sweet and endearing, but now Rafe is thrown into the mix. Rafe makes things more confusing than ever for Violet. She has to interact with him and answer to him for their different assignments. She also has to worry about catching the attention of a murderer who has a sick crush developing.

This novel fo
N to the A
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So, I just read a couple of the anti-Rafe reviews, and I thought the discussion could do with some yay-Rafe!
I think Jay could do with a little competition! Yes, I know, he's dreamy and all perfect and, dare I say it? Maybe a liiiiittle bit boring. Just a little bit. Please don't kill me.
I think a Body Finder series with Violet's man just being a supportive background, would be disappointing. I loved the whole thing Derting came up with, with the team, I thought it was a great twist with grea
Nicole
Another amazing novel written by an amazing author. The last echo was suspenseful and thrilling. It manged to keep me up all night, just like her other books in the seris have.... I loved every thing about the book, except the romance between Jay and Violet. I"ve been a fan of their relationship since book one, however my views began to shift once Rafe came into the picture. Hopefully Derting ends up starting a relationship with Vi and Rafe. Because personally, I think he understands Vi more tha ...more
Cristina Buzoianu
This book is very different of the first two in the series, but it's a good kind of different. Even if the secondary characters hardly make any appearance in this one, not even Jay, and I've missed them, this is the best in the series so far.
Xxertz
Aug 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm such a sucker for these books, despite the dumb situations the MC puts herself in.

The Body Finder was one of my favourite books of 2010 and I have been a fan of Kimberly Derting and this series ever since I read it. It shouldn't come as any surprise to hear that I have been eagerly waiting for this book since I read Desires of the Dead last year. Considering the lengthy wait and my high expectations it would have been easy to end up disappointed but I'm happy to say that The Last Echo completely blew me away and was by far my favourite instalment to the series so far
Pricky
2.5 Stars I realize I'm probably a minority here...

So...I'm just a teeny tiny bit embarrassed. A couple weeks ago I raved about The Body Finder Series in "My Favorite Reads" Giveaway. And don't get me wrong...I still love love love The Body Finder and Desires of the Dead. But somehow this one took a turn around the wrong bend...

The Love Triangle:
The thing I had loved about the first two books was the complete absence of ANY love triangle. It was a nice change to all the love-triangle frenzy. I
Once Upon a Twilight
I loved the first two books in The Body Finder series, but I loved this one even more. The first thing that grabs your eye with each of the books in this series is the cover-a different, beautiful and vibrant colored flower on each cover against a black background with white text is just striking. If that in itself wouldn't have you reaching for this off the shelf, the storyline certainly will. This book had me from the first page and didn't let go.

The Last Echo is written in third person and r
Amber
Apparently someone is telling Kimberly Derting that she can't top the last two novels in this series and she took it as a challenge. It's rare to find books that continually get better. But Ms. Derting needs to stop since I already gave The Body Finder a 5 so I'm not really sure where I can go from there. But I guess if she's testing my rating system, it might as well be stuck on the top instead of the bottom. The Last Echo takes everything you love about this series and amplifies it.

I like Vio
Lyn  Ching
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For more reviews, please check out: www.readingtsinoy.blogspot.com

Violet Ambrose is a body finder. She has the ability to find those who have been murdered and their killers by sensing echoes or imprints that are unique with each kill. For many years she has felt like the odd woman out, one who can never be normal, despite the love and support of her family and her best friend turned boyfriend Jay…. that is until she meets Sara Priest.
Sara is a former FBI investigator turned special agent who ha
Shelley
*Genre* YA Paranormal
*Rating* 4.0

*Review*

In “The Last Echo” (Body Finder #3) 17-year old Violet Ambrose has started working for Sara Priest’s group. It seems she’s been there for several months now and is actually starting to feel comfortable being around her co-workers and not alone with her unique ability.

If you have followed this series at all, you know that Violet has the ability to find those who have died at the hands of another. She knows that the dead leave behind an echo which Violet ca
Mariya
Why had he said all this? Why couldn't he have left things they way they were? But he wasn't finished with her yet. "It's also why I can't leave you alone."

I absolutely loved THE LAST ECHO! It was AMAZING! Kimberly Derting is an amazing author and I just can't wait for the next Body Finder book. I get so absorbed into these books that nothing else matters!

Violet joins Sarah's government group to help solve cases only special kids with her kind of ability can do. There are more kids in the gr
Rafe or Jay? 4 23 Jun 30, 2014 10:55AM
Gourley Jefferson...: The Last Echo Discussion 7 12 Jan 22, 2013 01:56PM
Is Violet a wimp? 2 28 Nov 10, 2012 09:24AM
The Body finder series :), what do you think? 11 80 Oct 16, 2012 02:58PM
  • Perception (Clarity, #2)
  • Shine (Shade, #3)
  • The Savage Grace (The Dark Divine, #3)
  • Before I Wake (Soul Screamers, #6)
  • Arise (Hereafter, #2)
  • A Want So Wicked (A Need So Beautiful, #2)
  • Deadly Little Voices (Touch, #4)
  • The Springsweet (The Vespertine, #2)
  • Timepiece (Hourglass, #2)
  • Havoc (Deviants #2)
  • Last Rite (Personal Demons, #3)
  • Social Suicide (Deadly Cool, #2)
  • Until I Die (Revenants, #2)
  • Enshadowed (Nevermore, #2)
  • The Marked (Delcroix Academy, #2)
  • Speed of Light (Fenestra, #3)
  • Forgiven (The Demon Trappers, #3)
  • A Touch Morbid (The Sider Series Book 2)
Kimberly is the author of the award-winning THE BODY FINDER series, THE PLEDGE, and THE TAKING trilogies. She's also co-written the brand new picture book series, CECE LOVES SCIENCE!

Her books have been translated into 15 languages, and both THE BODY FINDER and THE PLEDGE were YALSA Best Fiction for Young Adults selections.

These days, she spends entirely too much time ordering stuff off the Inter

The Body Finder (4 books)
  • The Body Finder (The Body Finder, #1)
  • Desires of the Dead (The Body Finder, #2)
  • Dead Silence (The Body Finder, #4)
“In the end, all that's left is an echo.” 27 likes
“Maybe she'd just say she ran into a door; that seemed infinitely more plausible than the truth.” 14 likes