Start by marking “History of Photography: From 1839 to the Present” as Want to Read:
History of Photography: From 1839 to the Present

History of Photography: From 1839 to the Present

Since its first publication in 1937, this lucid and scholarly chronicle of the history of photography has been hailed as the classic work on the subject. No other book has managed to relate the aesthetic evolution and technical innovations of photography with such an absorbing combination of clarity, scholarship and enthusiasm.
Published October 30th 1982 by Bulfinch Press (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about History of Photography, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about History of Photography

Start your review of History of Photography: From 1839 to the Present
W.B.
Apr 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: photography lovers, lovers of great images, design people
Recommended to W.B. by: oh i don't know why you always ask this!!
It would be worth the price of admission even if it didn't include words. Because the images selected are often unearthly, just shivs of light. A truly great collection which draws from so many periods, and there are even some great color plates included. The writing and contextualization aren't bad either. You can probably find this on ABE.com cheap.
Simone
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was ok

Assigned for my media history class, the pictures are awesome, the history a little less so. Don't let that "to the present" in the title fool you. He stops around 1955.
Valts Čibals
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My edition is from 1949, I found it in a small second hand bookstore in Slovenia and it’s one of the luckiest finds I’ve ever made.

The book is very comprehensive and it’s funny and amazing to me how a lot of attitudes have not changed for more than a 100 years. Is photography an art? Some still claim that no it’s not. This discussion has been going on since the 19th century. Another one - people were using their 35mm cameras to take snapshots everywhere, all the time, even at theater plays so
Parisa Hoseini
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: photography
کتاب تاریخ عکاسی بیومنت نیوهال تقریبا تا حد زیادی شبیه باقی کتابهای تاریخ عکاسی است. کتابی برای مبتدیان که میخواهند با جریانهای عکاسی از ابتدای اختراعش تا حدود دهه میلادی آشنا شوند.
من این کتاب را با کتاب تاریخ عکاسی لنفگورد همزمان مطالعه کردم. به نظرم بیومنت نیوهال با جزییات بیشتری مباحث تاریخی را مورد بحث قرار داده. و اینکه مزیت این کتاب نسبت به کتاب لنگفورد در آن است که سیر جریانهای عکاسی به هم پیوسته هستند. یعنی نیوهال به شکلی تاریخ را روایت میکند و از فصلی به فصل بعد گریز میزند که مباحث
Ahmed Belal
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It's the main book of the history of photography, good for a start but, any one read it need to do farther reading.
Angela
May 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I "had to" read this back in the day for a university photography course. Many years later I still own it. I'm not sure I've actually "read" it as it's a bit like a copy of National Geographic: the photos themselves are worth keeping it for and generally the reason why you might (a) pick it up in the first place and (b) keep it. It could be considered out-of-date if one is interested in techniques and such, however, for a pure sense of the history of *analog* photography up until the book was ...more
Ad Astra
May 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A wonderfully comprehensive book through the eyes of those responsible for innovation and design. I pulled this out for research and while I wasn't able to expansively cite this resource, it was my favorite one I'd read. Daguerreotypes, calotype, collodion, albumen (spelled albumin in my 1938 second edition) and explanations of the wet and dry plate processes are all explored here through a semi-historical narrative. I'd recommend this to those looking for some light reading about the history of ...more
Rajiv Chopra
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: A serious student of photography
This is a perfect way for the serious student of photography, to get into the history of photography. The chapters are laid out, not only chronologically, but in terms of the various developments that took place in the field of photography.

As I discovered, this is not a book that you should skim through, or read quickly. This is a book that you need to study, with a pencil in hand, and to underline key concepts.

For an Indian like me, this is marvellous, as it has given me some excellent ideas
J
Sep 04, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: um, those to whom the title appeals
Shelves: school
A summary of this book

blah blah chemicals used for processing early photographs
BLURRY PICTURE
more chemical news, wet plates, dry plates, blah
PICTURES, PICTURES, MOSTLY BORING

Suddenly!

interesting discussion of movements (Photo Secession!)
GOOD PICTURES
fascinating description of straight photography
EXCELLENT PICTURES - EDWARD WESTON! SWOONING!
horrifically outdated (1980) assessment of photography's current state
Jill
Sep 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
I love this book. I took an art history class in college and studied the history of photography...I was hooked after that. The collection of photos by greats like Stieglitz, Lange, White and Adams (just to name a few)and a brief history of their lives are beautifully detailed.
Mar 13, 2008 added it
Recommended to Jennifer by: my photography teacher
on of my college "textbooks" from Syracuse University.
Jonathon Moore
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I use this book all the time in my photography classes. Great reference and detailed history.
Cassidy
Sep 02, 2007 rated it it was ok
Full of information, but really takes makes photography not as much fun to learn about. I had to read this for a history of photography course. Ugh.
Lynne Bentley-kemp
Apr 12, 2008
H. Nicely
Jul 22, 2014
Versión en castellano 1 1 Jan 10, 2013 11:37PM

• The Camera (Ansel Adams Photography, #1)
  • Ansel Adams at 100
  • Light: Science and Magic: An Introduction to Photographic Lighting
  • National Geographic: The Photographs
  • Within the Frame: The Journey of Photographic Vision
  • Ways of Seeing
  • The Negative (Ansel Adams Photography, #2)
  • The Complete Untitled Film Stills