Start by marking “Margaret's Ark” as Want to Read:
Margaret's Ark

Margaret's Ark

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  317 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
On April ninth, thousands of people wake from the same dream, visits from angels instructing them to build a biblical ark in their front yard, or the town square or little league field. Anywhere, to prepare for the worst natural disaster to strike the world since the days of Noah.

A widowed California high school teacher risks everything to build a boat in the sixty days s
Paperback, 1st, 273 pages
Published July 20th 2011 by Other Road Press (first published July 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Margaret's Ark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Margaret's Ark

Kate
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Don't be put off by the religious aspect. I'm as atheist as it gets, and I was somewhat surprised by how much I enjoyed this book - I only actually got it as it was a free Kindle download at the time. Probably the best non-classic book I've got from the Kindle free books. The author managed to show the story from quite a variety of different peoples' viewpoints without getting too convoluted or confusing, and it held my attention throughout...it was also quite sad at times. It could do with a bi ...more
Hilary
This isn't a fast-moving thriller, soon-to-be-movie, where one eccentric scientist or lucky stargazer tries to avert a major disaster. This is a story about Margaret who, amongst many others, is visited by an angel. In her vision, she is told to build an ark for 30 people - no more, no less - and given the instructions on how to build it. This is also the story about Jack, a homeless man suffering from traumatic brain injury, who knows that his job is to warn people about the coming flood. Both ...more
Clayton
Oct 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I was pulled into this book mostly out of curiosity about how the author was going to pull off a plausible, modern day, Biblical Flood. Damn if he did not pull it out of the hat, and very well. The story leading up to it was very good too. I am very pleased I took a chance on this book.
Trilby Plants
Nov 04, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked the story, but not the religion. It wasn't billed as a religious book, but should have been. The story was compelling.
John Wiltshire
Dec 05, 2015 rated it liked it
I wouldn't have thought this book would appeal to me. However, something about the current state of the world makes this an intriguing scenario--what would you do if you heard the voice of God telling you to build an ark? Interestingly, the flood that these select people are forewarned about isn't apparently being sent by God--He's just helping out a few people where he can with prophetic dreams. They must each build an ark that will hold thirty people. You can imagine how well this imperative g ...more
Amy Posten
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: on-my-ipad, favorites
In Margaret's Ark thousands of ordinary people are visited in their dreams by "angels" with a message from god; they need to build an ark in order to survive a flood of apocalyptic proportions that will ravage the world in 60 days.

I was really quite pleasantly surprised by this book. I expected it to fall along the lines of some of the other Apocalyptic Christian Literature (i.e. the Left Behind series) that I've read which have a tendency to feel very "preachy" (if that makes sense). In reality
Kevin Lucia
Jul 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Many view publishing's future and the Amazon.com self-publishing revolution with equal parts trepidation and suspicion. How will the industry – whatever it becomes - maintain standards of quality? How will readers know if something is good, even with word of mouth, because opinions on “good” vary so greatly?

And what about the authors themselves? Don't they still need editors and gatekeepers to keep them (authors and would-be authors) on their toes? Keep them from getting complacent? Whatever hap
Elaine
May 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fantastic, unputdownable read about the end of the world! Margaret has dreams where she is visited by an Angel who orders her from God to build an Ark as there is going to be a second devastating flood on the planet. The only thing is she is not the only person who is having these dreams, thousands of people are having the same dream, both christian and non christians (whose dreams involve representatives from their own religions). The first half of the book is quite slow paced, as Margarets b ...more
Carol Ward
Jul 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
When all is said and done, this is a book about faith - Margaret's, Preacher Jack's, and the thousands of others whom angels have visited. There are some who question their faith, and some who deny their faith, but never does this book become preachy.

Margaret is one who is steadfast in her faith. She begins to build an ark on the town green, to the specifications given to her by an angel in a dream. She doesn't know why she's building it to these specifications, only that she must. Others soon j
Marie Wattier
Feb 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What if God asked you to do the impossible?
What if you did absolutely everything right, but still never got the reward you were hoping for in life? Where would your faith be then?
For me, one of the strongest challenges Daniel G. Keohane brings to light in this book is whether or not we truly do what is right because it's right, or do we always have in the back of our minds the thought that surely we will get rewarded for this somehow. But what if our sacrifices in life, only lead us to opportuni
Renee
Jan 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was intrigued the other day when I found Margaret’s Ark by Daniel G. Keohane. My interest was so captured by this book title and description that I couldn't get it out of my thoughts. I eagerly re-arranged my schedule to read it and I am so glad that I did.

This book is absolutely amazing!

The story line is unique, fast paced and captivating from start to finish. The twists and turns of the plot are unexpected, intriguing and will definitely keep you on your toes.

I liked it SO MUCH that I am beg
Lea Armstrong
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Margaret's Ark is about what happens when the Earth shifts and causes a flood of catastrophic proportions and how God intervenes by trying to save people through Faith. For those who have been given the instructions on how to build the Ark and an Angel for guidance it causes them to question if it is a dream or reality. Those who question but choose not to ignore are rewarded. Margaret's sacrifice is the ultimate sacrifice and was clearly an act that would cause you to question yourself...would ...more
Don
Oct 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What would you do if an angel appeared to you in your dreams? Especially if you're not particularly religious? I think Daniel Keohane approached the issue of faith in oneself as well as one's faith in God very clearly in Margaret's Ark. I was drawn in at the beginning and the drama kept me reading even though this is far from my normal fare. I had trouble understanding the character Jack's part in the book, but by the end, I realized he had a multi-faceted part to play. The dichotomy between the ...more
Deborah Keady
May 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captivating story

When I read the brief description of the book I was intrigued. So many "end times" novels follow a common format of storyline however this book does not.
The author gives us a glimpse into the lives of each character as the story unfolds and the reader is drawn into it as well.
The book does not preach to the reader but the realism makes us pause and ask "what if"?
I look forward to reading more of this author's books.
I gave four stars only because I wished for maybe a bit more a
Jeanine
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
Quite a thought provoking book. It's very well written for an ebook and I did find a few editing errors but not enough to through me off of reading the book. How would you feel if you were visited by an angel telling you to build an ark and could only take 30 people with you. I loved how it followed those who followed through with building the ark and some that received the direction but chose not to build the ark. I found myself thinking of this book even when I wasn't reading the book. As I sa ...more
Terry Jo
I got this as a Kindle freebie, but was a little skeptical of this book based on the subject matter. I was pleasantly surprised, however, and found the book to be quite thought provoking without being "preachy". The characters were believable and it wasn't hard to picture myself in their shoes. What would I do if I received a divine vision and was faced with making decisions that alienated me from friends, family and most of society? Would I have the faith to follow God's leading? Lots to think ...more
Karen M
Dec 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks, fantasy
This is one of those books that really makes you think. It's certainly about angels and God but it's also about us, humans, and how we react to the unknown.

Angelic visitations to certain people is what drives this story. The impending end of the world as we know it, God's wrath or something else? Why some are chosen and others not is not really addressed. There are no definitive answers here but this is a story you should read.
Deb B.
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it
While not the most compelling book I've ever read, it did hold my interest until the very end. I did want to find out where the story was going... and what happened to the characters.

It's a very thought-provoking story. And I have to wonder about myself. Would I be ready, or even willing, to build an ark... if asked to do so by an angel?
Canoe41
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It prompted a wide range of emotions from within me. The characters were well developed and appropriate to the primary story as well as to the secondary stories. I wish the book had been a little longer so that there was resolution about some of the characters. Mr. Keohane certainly left door wide open for a sequel.
Scott
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Curious. I was just really surprised all the way through, mostly because I kept trying to figure out what spiritual p.o.v. the author was coming from. Never did, but that didn't keep me from mostly enjoying the book.

I could have done with less of one character, and more of others. But the ending really surprised me for the most part and made for a satisfying experience.
Valerie
May 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What would you think if you woke up one morning to find out thousands of people have had the same dream and they must, on faith alone, follow the instructions given to them? I thoroughly enjoyed this thought provoking book but found it ended much to abruptly for my tastes. It left me wanting more....
Kathleen
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thought provoking and engrossing story. What if thousands of "ordinary" people all received warnings that the world as we know it would end in 60 days, and that they could only save 30 people? Would you believe? What would you do?
Eileen
May 06, 2012 rated it really liked it
I'll give Margaret's Ark 4 stars because it kept my interest throughout. Again, not a "happy ending" but an ending to the story that fit the story. I found the tight drama of the characters was well done, and stayed tuned to the main characters!
Cheri Harwood
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fascinating take on how, in today's time, we would react to a vision from God to go build an ark. I couldn't stop reading this book. I almost didn't read it because I feel Christian fiction is usually very superficial and lame.
Paula B
May 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Margaret's Ark gives the reader a chance to consider the last days on earth. What if God asked you to prepare the way for the end? The book kept my interest all the way through and I was caught up in the "what if" scenario entirely.
Jeff Bristow
May 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
I enjoyed this book. Character development was great and the pacing up to the end was perfect. I wish there had been a bit more at the end. I was left with wondering what would happen next. The end just came a bit too quickly for me. But I would certainly recommend this book to anyone.
Areland
May 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a good read.
Emmaa22
Mar 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
interesting novel, nicely written, good ending. - what if an angel told you to build an ark...
Joanne
Oct 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this. I really liked Margaret and think she was very brave to get ad far as she did purely on faith. I don't think I would have had the courage to do what she did, especially at the end.
Sheri White
Aug 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, just amazing. Started it yesterday and couldn't stop reading. Review to come soon.
  • A Higher Court: One Man's Search for the Truth of God's Existence
  • Wearing the Spider
  • Gold and Fishes
  • Virtually True
  • CrossFire
  • I Called Him Dancer
  • They Almost Always Come Home
  • Infinitely More
  • On Unfaithful Wings (Icarus Fell, #1)
  • Admit One: My Life in Film
  • Angel on Board
  • The Philanthropist's Danse
  • Wings
  • Death Is a Relative Thing
  • Under-Heaven
  • Chrysalis
  • Tested by Fire
  • I Shall Not Want (The Psalm 23 Mysteries, #2)
Daniel G. Keohane's first novel, Solomon's Grave (2009), was a finalist for the international Bram Stoker Award. Since then he has released the critically-acclaimed Margaret's Ark (2011) and Destroyer of Worlds (2012, under the pseudonym G. Daniel Gunn). His latest, Plague of Darkness, was released in 2014. His short stories have been published in a number of major horror magazines and anthologies ...more
More about Daniel G. Keohane

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand