Start by marking “Deeper Than The Darkness” as Want to Read:
Deeper Than The Darkness

Deeper Than The Darkness

"We called the base on Regeln. There was no answer. When we reached the planet's surface the colonists were sealed in the underground shelters. We had to blow the hatches off. Somebody had to go in first and I was the one. I went straight down into nightmare."

Regeln was the first human colony struck by the Quarn - aliens never seen by man, yet who sow a strange death
Mass Market Paperback, 191 pages
Published 1970 by Ace Books (first published September 29th 1969)

To ask other readers questions about Deeper Than The Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deeper Than The Darkness

Start your review of Deeper Than The Darkness
Elliot
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The premise would be interesting, were it written in a different style and with a different climax. The characters are totally unrelatable, and a good 75% of the book is just dry, bizarre rambling. I would like to say that the casual racism is just a product of the era the book was written in, or possibly a narrative choice, but it is still jarring. Ultimately, the climax kind of fizzles to a non-climax as the main character wavers back and forth, villains are dispatched or forgotten in moments, ...more
Tiffin
Jul 25, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was confusing. I couldn't tell who was talking alot of the time. And it seemed like more than once, a scene would just all of a sudden change with no warning. For example, the main characters were in a house and then all of a sudden there was details of them flying. How the heck did they get to the ship??? Just not well written at all.
Rob Markley
Apr 07, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
I read this after the wonderful collaboration with Brin in Heart of the Comet ...unfortunately was rather disappointed with this rambling tale
Angel B.A.
Jun 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Hasta hora, es la peor novela de Benford que he leído. Escoge cualquier otra si quieres apreciar al autor en buena forma :-)
Rebecca
Apr 01, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is terrible - both the story and the book. I got this as an ebook from a story bundle of some description. For starters the OCR is terrible, and the book is formatted in a way that makes my ereader struggle to manage the whole turning pages thing. There were out of place puncutation, burn became bum, and we'll became well, etc. I also suspect pages went missing, because there were some jumps in the story that made zero sense.

Secondly the story... Benford can write, it's just that the story
Eero
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought and read this paperback ages ago (in 1987) and had pretty much forgotten the story. When I saw the title as a part of the newest Story Bundle, I dusted off the paperback and reread it.

Back then I saw Benford primarily as a hard science fiction writer, a working physicist who would use his expertise to tell a story. That aspect certainly is there in the way he handwaves the tachyonic FTL technology, giving it a sciencey surface underneath which it is no more plausible than any other FTL
Taylor
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Interesting book. The cultural development in this is first-rate, asking interesting question about the place of culture and society in human relations, what happens when those bonds break down, and what happens in the aftermath. In the far future, mankind has, through some vaguely described disaster, become a mono-culture, driven by and based upon a sense of Community. Throughout the book, this mono-culture is frayed and destroyed by alien influence. Against this back-drop, the protagonist ...more
Graham Storrs
I got this in an ebook edition from Story Bundle - more about that in a moment.

The book itself was a bit of a let-down. I love Gregory Benford usually, but this one seemed to lack the usual magic. There were good ideas but the plot and pace were uneven and the ending was curiously underplayed. Perhaps it was because this was Benford's first novel (I think) and he still had plenty to learn about the craft.

The edition I read was scanned from text and converted to ebook format. I know this because
Steve
Aug 09, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I just could not get into it. I really wanted to like this book but I lost interest about 1/3 of the way through. I made myself read another third but I just quit at that point. I just could not get interested in the characters. The plot seemed excellent - an alien race attacking humanity with a disease that causes agoraphobia, except there are some people who recover. It was the execution that failed this book.
Erik Graff
Jun 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Benford fans
Recommended to Erik by: no one
Shelves: sf
I may have become exposed to Benford while on break from seminary in the late seveties. I was impressed, his writing being good, his science being better-than-average. This novel is less concept-driven than some, being primarily focused on the character of the protagonist. Like most of Benford's work, it's good, though I prefer the concept-driven stuff generally.
Timothy Olsen
Really interesting plot hook. Really difficult to chug through the story and its writing. There is a certain focus on how amazing Monguls are and how a "Ofkaipan" (which I believe is used to mean "Halfbreed") can adapt and overcome to lead in such an environment. The story gets where it is going, but it feels like it trips over itself a lot on its way there.
B. Zedan
Aug 27, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Folks who'll dig on horror and no happy ending
Shelves: real-book
Zowie, the themes in this one. Crippling, contagious agoraphobia as a weapon! Humanity's desire to explore and expand! Religion!

Can't really sum this one up. It has perfectly horrifying moments, like the housing used by the folks mentioned with the above malady. Here's a hint, it's called "The Slots".
Robert
Sep 21, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this 2.5 stars if I could as there was some very good writing in it. Sadly the story never really fired for me and the narrator grated on me. There were some interesting ideas too but I felt the story was a victim to them rather than an exploration of them.
To each their own.
Charles
Jun 16, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I read this when I was fairly young but I still remember enjoying it a lot.
Courtney
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting premise but felt very chaotic and unfocused.The writing was incoherent at times and wasn't as smooth as I like.
Mike
Nov 15, 2007 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: scifi
I may read it before but time to read again.
Davo
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some interesting ideas, but the narrative feels rather disjointed and I found it hard to really care about or follow what was going on for large parts of the book.
Chris
Jan 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I actually read an original version titled "Deeper Than the Darkness". Very interesting.
Marc
Dec 21, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• No Longer Human
  • Why Hope?: The Stand Against Civilization
  • Maggody and the Moonbeams (Arly Hanks, #13)
  • The Hunger, and Other Stories
  • The Satanic Bible
  • The Bard's Blade (The Sorcerer's Song, #1)
  • Glyphotech
  • Can & Can'tankerous
  • The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle, #2)
  • The 10th Victim
  • Holly Banks Full of Angst
  • Don't Panic: The Official Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Companion
  • Sex and Rockets: The Occult World of Jack Parsons
  • The Killing Light (The Sacred Throne, #3)
  • The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty
  • The Club of Queer Trades
  • Diaboliad
  • Hideout
Gregory Benford is an American science fiction author and astrophysicist who is on the faculty of the Department of Physics and Astronomy at the University of California, Irvine.

As a science fiction author, Benford is best known for the Galactic Center Saga novels, beginning with In the Ocean of Night (1977). This series postulates a galaxy in which sentient organic life is in constant warfare
“The difference between a conviction and a prejudice is that you can explain a conviction without getting angry.” 0 likes
“• • • Military history is the story of the terrible murder of beautiful plans by ugly facts.” 0 likes