Start by marking “Den udstødte” as Want to Read:
Den udstødte

Den udstødte

3.6  ·  Rating details ·  7,351 Ratings  ·  734 Reviews
Set in post-WWII suburban London, this superb debut novel charts the downward spiral and tortured redemption of a young man shattered by loss. The war is over, and Lewis Aldridge is getting used to having his father, Gilbert, back in the house. Things hum along splendidly until Lewis's mother drowns, casting the 10-year-old into deep isolation. Lewis is ignored by grief-st ...more
Published by Thaning og Appel (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Den udstødte, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Den udstødte

Saleh MoonWalker
Onvan : The Outcast - Nevisande : Sadie Jones - ISBN : 701181753 - ISBN13 : 9780701181758 - Dar 352 Safhe - Saal e Chap : 2008
Victoria
Aug 15, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Every now and again you come across a book that really appeals to you. After reading the blurb on the back, looking at the cover (judge a book by its cover? Me? Erm… yes, quite often) and reading a few well-chosen reviews, I decided that The Outcast was definitely going to be a book I would enjoy. It ticked all the boxes: Lots of praise from literary sources? Yep. Setting some time in the British past? Uh-huh. Dysfunctional families? Hell, yeah. So why, upon finishing, did I award it only two st ...more
M
May 31, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Katri
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2016
4.5 tai 5 tähteä - pakko vielä miettiä!

Huh mikä kirja. Olen täynnä tunteita, mutta sanaton. Sadie Jonesin Ehkä rakkaus oli totta oli ihan hyvä, mutten sen perusteella olisi odottanut mitään tällaista. Täyslaidallista, koko pirun lukijan tunnemaailman myllertämistä. Kirja on niin karu, oksettava ja koskettava, että tekee melkein pahaa lukea sitä. Se on liian totta. Samaan aikaan kirjassa on kuitenkin taianomaisuutta, jota kaunokirjallisuudelta kaipaa.

Kirjassa on vain kaksi asiaa, miksi en ole va
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
I came to read this book mostly due to a review on Goodreads, a negative review, that made the book sound atrocious. I liked the review, but as a couple of years went by I couldn't quite get it out of my head, and my curiosity - was it really as bad as all that? - prodded me to buy it when I saw it at my favourite second-hand bookshop. And the short answer is No, I don't think it's as bad as the other reviewer found it to be, and isn't that part of the joy and the complexity of reading? What's t ...more
Will Byrnes
Anaarecarti
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Ignoră imaginea de pe coperta 1 (atât de siropoasă, că mi s-au cam strepezit dinţii când mi-au căzut ochii pe ea)! Ignoră şi citatele atât de elegante şi de corecte de pe coperta 4. Pe mine, nici una, nici celelalte nu m-au prevenit cu privire la experienţa de care am avut parte citind “Proscrisul” de Sadie Jones!

Recenzia completa pe https://anaarecarti.ro/main/proscrisu...
Mai Laakso
Ensimmäinen osa oli tyyntä myrskyn edellä, tarinaa kerrottiin melkein kylmästi, toteavasti, sitten se myrsky vyöryi päälle ja melkein hukutti minut. Sydän hakkasi ja lukeminen ei meinannut edetä ollenkaan, sillä nenäliinat kastuivat ja kastuivat ja kastuivat... Tätä on vaikea selittää ja vaikea ymmärtää, mitä minä luin. Minä luin todella suuresta pahasta ja hippusellisesta onnea.
Rebecca McNutt
The Outcast is an unforgettable, nostalgic little novel, taking place in post-war England in a small town, telling the story of a young man recently out of jail and finding himself an outsider among his former friends and family. How is he supposed to change their attitudes?
Susan Burpee
I though The Outcast was a tremendous book. The writing style was lean and evocative at the same time. You'd never know it was a first novel. I found the characters believable and came to really care what happened to them even as they sometimes exasperated me. The plot dragged a tiny bit in the middle but persisting is worth the effort. I read the last few chapters while on the exercise bike and cried the whole time. Moving but definitely not sappy or sentimental.
Lewis, the main character is ki
Djrmel
If Ian McEwen had ever been a sixteen year old girl, this is the book he would have written. A young boy loses his mother, and no one around him has the tools or the heart to help him recover. Instead, they all have their own levels of disfunction to travel through - all except one, who fanfic readers will recognize as a Mary Sue of the highest calibre. That's not to say this isn't a good read, if you enjoy a pretty good gothic mixed with a heavy dose of romantic idealism. My complaint is that ...more
Jeanne
Apr 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lewis Aldridge has been released after 2 years in prison. It is 1957, and he is coming home. But for some reason, nobody's really keen on seeing Lewis again. Why?

Rewind to 1945. His father has just returned from the war and somewhat dismayed to see that young Lewis has become quite attached to his mother. For his part, Lewis barely remembers his father. A few years later, in a tragic accident, Lewis's drunken mother drowns in the river, and nothing is ever the same again. For anyone.

For Lewis, l
Alla
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book, plain and simple.
My heart just broke for Lewis in this story. I got so sad for him and angry about how he was treated in the community, over the injustice he was up against and how poorly he was treated as just a young, sad and broken boy. A boy that needed love and help and the person who should have been there for him just wasnt. I was even cursing out loud and telling people in the book off, out loud! (I am not sure of what my co-worker thinks of me now).
I absolutely felt
Deb
Jul 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who exactly decides when a person is an outcast? Has society really changed that much since 1950? Don't people still only want to hang with the "right" people? This book brings up a lot of questions that could lead to great discussions in a reading club. And Dickie....I loathe Dickie in this book. When you read it, you'll understand why. You are not stuck with your history. At any time in life you can chose a new direction and create your own new beginning. Thank God for new beginnings.
Jessi
Really well written, the characters are flawed and amazing,it is heavy at times but found it a quick read.Like I did not want to put it down, and thus stayed up all night reading it, weeping a lot (the exhaustion I'm sure). Lewis' life is quite heartbreaking,you really sympathize and love him .Also Lewis is hot and the sexual tension is unreal,with um ...like everyone. I adored sweet Kit and her last scene was just...perfect, not corny, PERFECT.
Lukutoukka-Krista
Jan 19, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Vau! Kotiinpaluu ihastutti, varsinaista tarinankerronnan aatelia. Jonesin edellinen suomennos jäi jostain syystä kesken, mutta näköjään sitäkin kannattaa yrittää uudelleen.
Kiwiflora
Mar 15, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
THE OUTCAST by Sadie Jones

What a depressing, sad and sorry bag of bones this book is. I understand it was originally conceived as a screenplay, maybe that should have told everyone something that it didn't get further than that. But I also see that it is to become a movie directed by the guy who directed Shakespeare in Love. I really can't visualise how that will turn out, although movies have been made of much less. And that reminds me, even though the blurb on the back sounded a bit suspect, I
Writer's Relief
Nov 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In 1957, 19-year-old Lewis Aldridge is released from prison after two years and returns to the London suburb where he spent his childhood. His return isn’t met with much fanfare from his father, his stepmother, or the community at large. Sadie Jones’s novel follows Lewis’s youth, including the traumatic event that shaped his life forever, the crime that turned the community against him, and his bid for redemption after being released from prison.

Jones’s writing is etched with sympathy for Lewis,
Jen
Oct 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychological
Set in a small village outside of London in the 1950s, this is a story about everyday people trying to cope with and hide their brokenness from everyone else. Lewis, our protagonist, witnesses the accidental death of his mother at 10 years old, and it understandably affects him deeply. But his wounds are left to fester when none of the adults in his life take any responsibility for giving him the emotional care he needs after such a traumatic incident. As he gets older, he turns to increasingly ...more
Jackie Molloy
Repressed, abusive, middle class 1950’s England is the setting, transgression and redemption. Lewis is 7 when his mother drowns while they are picnicing by a river and the emotional turmoil that follows him and his father colour and effect all his growing years. With no help or understanding of what would now be called P.T.S.D, Lewis battles with self-harm and lack of self-esteem, his troubles land him in prison from the age of 17 -19 for setting fire to the local church.
Kit is my favourite char
Fredsky
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm rating this a 3.7. Why can't we rate decimally?

It's a good book. Depressing, most reviews say, and I disagree. Depressing would have been if Lewis STAYed home! Or if he'd worked for Dicky FOREVER! Sadie Jones is a fine writer. I'm sorry I can't reach for her next book tomorrow. Some scenes were a bit over-the-top for me, mostly Lewis going berserk at home. I think Ms. Jones depicted these family lives perfectly, as well as the village cruelty. She did avoid life in Brixton, however. As I sup
Suketus
Jan 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Erinomainen kirja! Vahva tarina, sykkivä vire, moniulotteiset henkilöt.
Silvia
Apr 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was reeeeally really good, and I liked it very much.
I didn't think I would enjoyed it so much.
Of course it was very sad, but it was also hopeful, and I think I cried a bit at some part.
It was a great read :)
Jaana
Jul 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ensimmäinen lukemani Sadie Jones, huh! Kirja on hyvin kirjoitettu ja vangitsi ainakin minut ihan alusta asti. Kuitenkin jouduin yhtenään keskeyttämään lukemisen kun tuntui liian piinaavalta lukea päähenkilön (päähenkilöiden) rankoista kokemuksista. Luulen, että kirja olisi ollut parempi jos kerronnassa olisi ollut enemmän suvantopaikkoja, jotain keventävää. Hieno kirja mutta en suosittele lukijalle joka haluaa viihtyä kirjansa parissa.
Elizabeth (Merely Reading)
At the heart of this novel is a young man, Lewis Aldridge, who we see first as a child. He has been living a quiet, calm and contented life with his mother whilst his father has been away at war (WW2). When his father returns and is back in their lives and assuming the role of head of the house it has an unsettling effect on them and events begin to unfold which have a life long effect on Lewis. (view spoiler) ...more
Diane
Jan 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story takes places in the 1950's in England, though much of the angst portrayed is just as common place today, no matter where you live.

We meet Lewis Aldridge at the beginning of the story, he is 19 years old and just out of prison for setting fire to a church. He is hoping for a new chance at life, a new beginning, but things are off to a rocky start with his father, right from the beginning.

The story then reverts back to Lewis' childhood. He is a happy though quiet child who enjoys his
Alison
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Linda Lipko
Aug 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book packs a wallop and is definitely not for those who like soft, rosy stories.

It is a book that will haunt me for awhile...a long while.

As stated in the opening chapter, two people went into the woods for a picnic and only one returned!

When young Lewis witnesses the drowning of his mother, his life spins way out of control while his father and the upper crust social strata of 1940-1950's England encourages and foments denial.

When his father rapidly re marries and Lewis' feelings are pushe
Melinda
Mar 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melinda by: newleaph@gmail.com
The Outcast by Sadie Jones
This is the story of Lewis who is introduced as a small boy just after WW2. Lewis and his mother have been alone while his father was in the war. When Lewis' father returns, life changes. Lewis is an interloper. His father resents any time Lewis spends with his mother, calling it spoiling. The father is cold and totally unloving. Unfortunately, Lewis' mother drowns in a nearby river when he and she are alone one day and people begin to treat Lewis as if he had something
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Add cover and information 6 22 Dec 11, 2017 01:32PM
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 29, 2015 08:05AM
  • Day
  • The Leper's Companions
  • The Clothes On Their Backs
  • Fault Lines
  • The Siege (The Siege, #1)
  • The White Family
  • Homestead
  • The Conjurer's Bird
was born in London, England, the daughter of a poet and an actress. Her father, Evan Jones, was born in Portland, Jamaica in 1927. He grew up on a banana farm, eventually moving to the United States, and from there to England in the 1950s. His most widely acclaimed work is "The Song of the Banana Man". Sadie's mother, Joanna Jones, was featured as an extra in various television series, including ...more
More about Sadie Jones...

Fiction Deals

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Ireland
    $10.49 $2.99
“There was a sudden stillness like the gap between ticks on a clock, but the next tick never coming.” 25 likes