Start by marking “Aunt Eater Loves a Mystery” as Want to Read:
Aunt Eater Loves a Mystery

Aunt Eater Loves a Mystery

(Aunt Eater)

Four Aunt Eater Mysteries!A stolen traveling bag . . . A mysterious black shadow on the wall . . . A thief next door . . . A disappearing cat . . . Don't worry, Aunt Eater is on the case.
Published March 9th 1989 by HarperCollins (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Aunt Eater Loves a Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aunt Eater Loves a Mystery

Stacy
Jan 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A good book to introduce beginning readers to the mystery genre. Several simple, short mysteries. No violence or anything truly scary.
Richard Cardenas
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Just as good as I remember!! This was one of my favorite books as a kid, I even got banned from borrowing it from my elementary library because I checked it out so much lol I'm pretty sure this is what started my love for mysteries. :)

- Richard
Izabela
May 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the first books I read on my own and one of my childhood favorites. I met Doug Cushman as a little girl and my well-loved copy of this sweet little book is autographed by him. He was the first author I ever met and I will never forget the experience.
Christina
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Another book from the random box I bought on eBay. I mostly got a kick out of this because I used to tease my nephew when we went to the zoo about being afraid the anteaters were going to eat me. When he was little, he tried to reassure me and patiently explain the difference between ant and aunt. When he got a bit older, he just rolled his eyes and ignored me.
This book has four little chapters, each containing a story that follows up on the last one, but could be read as a stand-alone. I rememb
Anthony
Aunt Eater the anteater loves a mystery, and takes a mystery book everywhere she goes. She also thinks everything that happens is a mysterious adventure. Aunt Eater thought her misplaced suitcase was stolen, and a mystery, a shadow on the wall was a mystery that needing solving, and a note left in her mailbox was a mystery, and finally her neighbor's missing cat was worthy of a mystery.
R. G. Nairam
Oct 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: early-readers
Reading this caused a strange sense of deja vu, as I'm very sure I've read it before, but have no idea of the context, and it is not one we own. It must have come home from a childhood library back in the day!
Karen
May 20, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids who like Aunt Eater
Recommended to Karen by: Goodreads
Shelves: logan-read
Logan: My favorite story was Aunt Easter a Rides the Train! It was very funny.
Heather Jo
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meggie-list
Jennifer (JenIsNotaBookSnob)
I picked this up as I remember reading it when I was a child just learning to read and I was sentimental. It was still a bit too long for my daughter to read herself and she simply wasn't interested in the book, so I read it to her.
It does feel a bit dated now and the illustrations are old-fashioned and not as much fun as they used to feel. BUT, I still feel like it was a pretty decent selection. Aunt Eater loves mysteries to the point where she makes mysteries out of molehills. Her mysteries a
Karah Webb
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it
This short chapter book would be an easy book for young readers because each chapter goes directly along with the one before it. It is a good introduction into chapter books. Aunt Eater really enjoys mysteries, so when a student is reading the book, they can easily make predictions on what is going to happen next. I could use this book in a classroom because it could help open the door to new genres of books. Also, I really enjoyed how the pictures were either right below or right above the word ...more
Cherie Durbin
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Beginning readers will enjoy helping Aunt Eater solve the mysteries that plague her. Stories include Aunt Eater Rides the Train, Aunt Eater Sees a Shadow, Aunt Eater Collects the Mail and Aunt Eater Solves a Mystery. The stories are fast-paced, fun to read and have oh-so-silly conclusions. Children will no doubt beg for more Aunt Eater mysteries to solve!
Marie
Mar 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reader
We liked this one, but not as much as Inspector Hopper. The story was 4 chapters long, each of which was it's own mini-mystery. G might be a bit young to appreciate some of the word play and sadly, our library has only 2 of the 4 books. Aunt Eater suffers a bit from the lack of full color illustrations (the color choices are muddy).
Dolly
Apr 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: beginning readers and parents reading with their children
This is another fun book in the Aunt Eater series of mysteries. Aunt Eater is rather like Miss Marple, in anteater form. The book has four short mysteries and all are interesting and a good challenge for beginning readers. Our oldest and I would take turns reading pages and she really enjoyed the stories.
Rosa Cline
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This is an I Can Read Book... a fabulous way of introduction young readers-listeners to mysteries. These stories make mysteries intriguing without making them scary for the younger guys. Aunt Eater loves mystery books and so she's always looking for mysteries within her life. Even down to explaining a shadow on the wall! Cute book...
Sarah Adamson
Apr 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
We read the four stories over four days. My daughter loves anteaters and found this Aunt Eater mystery book very funny. It includes a great selection of basic early reader language with some fun big challenging words. A good early reader set.
M.
Apr 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
One of my favorite childhood books. <3
Dorathea Chaplin
Dec 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just as good as when I was little. Oh, Aunt Eater is such a silly, funny lady, fancies herself a home detective.
Steve Rouhotas Jr
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, libby-reads
"The mysteries help me think better." Says my 5 year old reader; LJ
Cheryl
Cute series of mini-mysteries. A lot of teal in the illustrations.
Mollyritterbeck
Feb 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This was a great kids book to read with my middle child. She loved that they all talked about mysteries somehow in the story!
Grace
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, children
Excellent mystery for a child. Silly and fun, plus the added feature of sneaking in a life and friendship lesson.
Kaethe Douglas
Dec 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Not our favorite early reader mystery series, but okay.
Grillables
Jan 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great book for early readers.
Mar 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love it for beginner readers! It's a mystery. They are wanting to know what is going to happen next but aren't scared. It's a chapter book with lots of pictures. Just great!
Michele
Dec 17, 2011
nancy bundley
Aug 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Doug Cushman has illustrated more than 100 children’s books, 20 or so of which he has also written. Among his many honors, Doug has gained a place on the New York Times Children’s Best Sellers list and on the 2003 Children’s Literature Choice list. He has received a National Cartoonist’s Society Reuben award and a 2004 Christopher Award for his book illustrations.

Aunt Eater (4 books)