Start by marking “Steel's Edge (The Edge, #4)” as Want to Read:
Steel's Edge (The Edge, #4)

Steel's Edge

(The Edge #4)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  18,049 ratings  ·  1,258 reviews
The Edge lies between worlds, on the border between the Broken, where people shop at Wal-Mart and magic is a fairy tale—and the Weird, where blueblood aristocrats rule, changelings roam, and the strength of your magic can change your destiny…

Charlotte de Ney is as noble as they come, a blueblood straight out of the Weird. But even though she possesses rare magical healing
Mass Market Paperback, 388 pages
Published November 27th 2012 by Ace

To ask other readers questions about Steel's Edge, please sign up.
Ela
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Karen One continuing plot line, but each book wraps up its part of the plot. The lead in two is a major character in one, but otherwise there isn't a lot of…moreOne continuing plot line, but each book wraps up its part of the plot. The lead in two is a major character in one, but otherwise there isn't a lot of character overlap. Three and four has more emphasis on continuing characters. The male leads in three and four are from book two but the female leads are new. My SIL claims the characterizations between two and the latter ones don't quite match up, but I haven't read two in a while.

Some of the characters show up in the second innkeeper book also, but a good 10-15 years later. (less)

·  18,049 ratings  ·  1,258 reviews

Start your review of Steel's Edge (The Edge, #4)
✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
And the moral of this rererereread is: threatening teenagers with infecting them with dysentery for a week is the key to parental bliss, if you ask me. Charlotte de Ney, you might not have kids of your own but you sure are a natural when it comes to this child-rearing thing.

[June 2020]

🔫 Of Guns and Walmarts Buddy Rererereread (OGaWBR™) with the IA Addicts 🔫

Previous rating: 8.5 stars.
New rating: 10 stars. (view spoiler)

And the moral of this rerereread is: My nefarious
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Aug 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is the fourth and last book in the EDGE quartet of books, about a weird and dangerous semi-magical borderland, called the Edge, between our non-magical world and a parallel world where magic is in full power. Ilona Andrews really knows how to tell a story, and I liked the way each book in this series focuses on a different couple, though they're all interconnected. Charlotte and Richard, the main characters in this book, are in their thirties, both having survived the breakups of their firs ...more
carol.
Sep 27, 2021 rated it liked it
Fourth and currently last in the Ilona Andrews ‘Edge’ series, Steel’s Edge ends the current arc that began in Bayou Moon. Thinking about my review finds me reflecting on the series as much as the final story. Perhaps the Edge was originally conceived along the lines of individual paranormal romances set in a shared setting, but they evolved into a Kate Daniels-type external conflict story arc with a reoccurring opposition. As such, I think the most satisfaction would be obtained reading these in ...more
Robin (Bridge Four)
Sale Alert: Kindle daily deal 22May21 1.99

Re-reading with all my fellow addicts at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA) again....yes that makes it 3x but I don't care I love this series.

So it was a little slower for me the third time through....but still totally amazing. Loved hanging out with the main couple, but more than that I totally adored seeing the kids George, Jack and Sophie need their own series some day. For now I'll just have to catch glimpses of them in the Innkeeper Series as grown-ups.

Bu
Jilly
Jun 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
Just finished a buddy reread with Choko and Sarah. This was a lot of fun! We need to do the Innkeepers next to see how George and Jack are doing.

Original Review:

I like what the authors say about the Edge series:

It’s like Twinkies. Everybody likes it, nobody is 100% sure what it is.

twinkies funny photo: Twinkies big_4450576.jpg
full of creamy goodness...

Instead of Urban Fantasy, it is Rural Rustic Fantasy - and I have loved every minute of it!

In this last book we get Richard Mar's story. He is Kaldar's brother whose wife had left him
Anne

So.
The Edge isn't my favorite Ilona series, but it's still good. And this (last?) installment wasn't my favorite of this series, but it was still pretty decent.
Honestly, I wanted to read about the kids (Jack, George, & Lark) more than I did Charlotte & Richard.
One of the amazing things about these authors is that they create such special & interesting characters. And not just the main ones, but the bad guys and secondary characters, too!

description

Anyway, I'd love to see a series about those 3 n
Nicole
Apr 03, 2017 rated it liked it
On the Edge (The Edge #1): ★★★★
Bayou Moon (The Edge #2): ★★★★
Fate's Edge (The Edge #3): ★★

This is the last book of “The Edge” series. After not liking the previous one, at all, I avoided reading this book for a long while but eventually, my desire to read Clean Sweep won. I can only thank Annie for reading this book with me or it would’ve taken more even more time to read. Especially since we didn’t like Kaldar’s story. And he’s the fun guy… so you can say I did not like Richard. Nothing persona
Anna *Bran. San. Stan*
Aug 27, 2022 rated it really liked it
The Ilona Andrews duo writes such wonderful characters, no matter if hero or antagonist. Kate Daniels, Curran Lennart, Hugh D‘Ambray, William Sandine, Cerise Mar, Kaldar Mar and now Richard Mar, just to name a few.

And the plot is always fast-paced and captivating from start to finish. That’s why I’m sorry to say that one thing happened at around 70% that took me out of the story and I had to force myself to continue. It had nothing to do with the romance but was something Richard decided to do
Holly

Better than the last book, but not the best one. I still think the first book was my favorite out of the four. And again my favorite part of the book was the inclusion of George and Jack, they are the best. I am going to have to re-read the Inn Keeper books now that I know who the crossover secondary characters are!
Choko
Sep 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*** 4.44 ***

I will leave the review of the first time I read the book still here, because that must have been how I felt at the time, but darn it, I have no idea what I was thinking... This is definitely the most mature of the books in this series and it is closer to reality in feel, if not in storyline. It is a bit darker and bad things do happen. Maybe when I read it the first time I was not in the mood for anything else but a happier subject matter, so I didn't appreciate the strength of the
Deborah Obida
Apr 24, 2020 rated it really liked it
“There is no shame in grief. It’s human. You didn’t do anything wrong. It doesn’t make you weak, and you don’t have to hide it.”

The fourth instalment and the last book in the series did not disappoint, I still think this series deserve a spin off with George, Jack and Sophie as the protagonist, it would be awesome, I can already imagine it.

The writing and world building are okay, It's easy to understand, the book is written in third person multiple POV. The was an abundance of well depicted
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
4 Sophie Stole The Show Stars

Review to come tomorrow...

Well, almost. Most of them finished days before I even started.

Kathleen
NEW & FREE: The authors have written a FREE short story, to end THE EDGE series. It is about the grown kids, set in the future, about 13 years after this book. Find it free online here:
https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog... . Also, George makes a cameo in another series, beginning with the book Clean Sweep. Note that Klaus Demille appears in both of these titles. Klaus is the brother of Dina Demille, the heroine in Clean Sweep.

Getting back to this book -- Wow! Steel's Edge was BETTER than ex
Sunny
5 Fantastic stars!

You know that feeling of euphoria you feel after you have read a great book? Be prepared for a double shot of it with Steel's Edge. Steel's Edge is book 4 in The Edge series by the wife and husband team known as the author, Ilona Andrews.

I've liked The Edge series from the start. Still, being a huge Kate Daniels fan, The Edge series was always "the other" books by the author. Not any more, this book rivals any of Ilona Andrews other writings and may very well be my favorite.

Wh
Milda Page Runner
3.5*
Great beginning but second half unfortunately didn't work that well for me.
I enjoyed healer's transformation into plague-bearer (welcome to the dark side!) I enjoyed the darkness, the gruesome deaths, the tragedy even, action scenes filled with sword fights and dark magic. I enjoyed beginning of the romance with playful dialogues and Princess Bride references. The first half was intense and griping and I've read it one sitting. Would have given it 5*.
But then we get to the part where espio
Liz* Fashionably Late
I'm giving the whole series 4 stars even if I'm still not sure about this book.

It's undeniable that if you read a IA book, you are in great danger of ending up like this for life:

But having finished it a few days ago, I'm not sure if I can tell you what actually makes this book better than the previous three. I'll still try, though.

description The OceanKaldar's Eleven
Not as good as Fate's Edge but I've got to give it to Richard and Charlotte. That was pretty cool, taking the Mission: Impossible's latex
Melanie
1.) On the Edge ★★★★
2.) Bayou Moon ★★★★
3.) Fate's Edge ★★★★

Buddy Read with Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA)!

I enjoyed this book, don't get me wrong, but it really didn't feel like a conclusion. I understand that Lark/Sophie, Gaston, George, and Jack are in Sweep in Peace as adults, but so much is left unsaid.

And if I'm being really honest, I feel like this series never surpassed the peak of the first book, On the Edge. This is a very fun series, and each book is in its own way good, but if I knew t
Jen Davis
Nov 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have to say that I am disappointed that there will not be any more Edge books. Ilona Andrews has made me fall so deeply in love with the characters of Jack and George that I feel positively robbed when I consider the idea that they will not get their own book. A travesty. But I'll get back to my boys in just a minute.

The hero of the story is Richard Mar, Kaldar's brother, who we first met in Bayou Moon. He is on a mission to destroy the slave trade thriving in the Weird. The slavers nearly des
Phrynne
Apr 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
The fourth and last book in this series which is sad because I have enjoyed all four books very much. I am not usually a fan of series where the main characters change in each book but I coped in this case because characters from past books always featured highly as well. In fact we have watched George and Jack grow up and they had great roles in this last book. I really enjoyed the world building in all four books and the characters and dialogue are all written with the authors' usual great ski ...more
Denisa
4.5 I couldn't put it down!

I loved all books by Ilona Andrews I've read so far. And yup, this was no exception.
It was fast paced and engaging, the characters were incredible and the plot was spectacular. I really have nothing but great words about this one.

Why not 5 stars? It left me with a question that I kinda wanted answered: what happened to her ex-husband, the one who left her? I wanted to see him pay in some way. What can I say, I like seeing the characters being revenged.
Orient
Reading Andrews book is always a great idea and when the series ends as strongly as THE EDGE, oh my, I just swallowed it.
From the start, all "The Edge" books are a fascinating mix of paranormal romance, fantasy, mystery, action, adventure, knighthood. Fourth book has the strongest impression on me, as the collision of good and bad is much more noticable and crushing. The fighting scenes encircled me with action, thrill and adrenaline.

In some point, this book feels like two individual stories,
Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
Charlotte de Ney is not just a healer, but is The Healer and although not a blueblood from birth she has grace and poise that many envy. However, there is a darkside to being a healer, they can as easily start a plague as they can heal one, but to do so is to become an abomination. But once Charlotte tastes the darker side of being a healer, she escapes to the Edge to find peace. That is, until Richard Mar stumbles almost dead on to her doorstep with dangerous enemies in pursuit and a cause that ...more
Carmel (Rabid Reads)
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads.

It should come as no surprise that I've been enjoying this series a lot, but I haven't LOVED any of the installments yet, until now. When I first discovered that this final book featured a healer as the main heroine, I had some qualms as to whether Charlotte would be able to achieve the level of badass-ery that I've come to expect from Ilona Andrews. Case in point, FATE'S EDGE's Audrey Callahan wasn't a fighter either, and ended up being my least favourite THE EDGE femal
Alexa
Jan 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read with the awesome bunch at Ilona Andrews Addicts!

This book has Richard (Kaldar's older brother) as a main character. And we get a new leading lady, this time a full fledged blueblood and a healer! Charlotte is not snarky, Charlotte doesn't flash, Charlotte doesn't carry a weapon. She's polite and sensible and I freaking loved her.

It's good to know that Ilona doesn't feel the need to make all her heroines a copycat of each other.

And it was a really good pairing, particularly because they're
♥Rachel♥
Glad to have finally finished this series! I really loved Rose's kid brothers, George and Jack, and also Sophie Marr (aka Lark) throughout the series. They always made me laugh, even though they each had their sad stories, too. They're older teens here and we get to see the beginning of (view spoiler)This is continued in The Innkeeper Chronicles and I really hope it's developed more in that series. Love these characters! ...more
Cathryn
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This! This is the book I've been waiting for this entire series. I LOVED IT!!!! If you had asked me a couple of books ago I would have said that Kaldar's book will be my favorite since I just love him but oh hell no. Richard's and Charlotte's is hands down the best of the series. The rest of my review will just be fangirling gifs. Oh and one last thing. There had better be a book for Sophie, Jack, and George without a love triangle.

photo Rudd This_zpspnids5bk.gif

photo Merryl Shimmy_zpsol49dju4.gif

photo Snow White High Five_zpsohwtoxqo.gif

photo NPHHappyDancegif_zps70be4f46.gif

photo Merryl Thats All_zpsi0gtphmx.gif
Antonella
I don't know why am I surprised by heroine badassery when these two wrote my favorite heroines in fantasy, hello Kate Daniels anyone.. and Baylor sisters.
Charlotte is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G badass bitch and I love to see it...
Great full-blown action-packed book..
4,5⭐

Al George
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Swords with flash!

swords

Let's just get a couple of things outta the way right now:
I love love love this series!
This was my favorite couple of the series but not my favorite book. That goes to the one before this.

Series: Yes, but this might be the last one??

Sexy times: A time or two. But this book is not about that!

no no

Plan on reading more by the author: Dawn Mother yes!

Synopsis: So we have the healer of all healers. The Healer. She ends up married to a buffoon and leaves him for the edge. There in the
Emma
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, magic
The final book in the Edge series- the same high standard as the rest of the series. This time, the budding couple take on illegal slavery and the entire Mar family team helps on the mission, with Jack and George along for the ride. The Ilona Andrews team have created such a full and rich magical setting and world that these books are really quite engrossing- and it's not all about the romance either. Recommended series. ...more
Aly is so frigging bored
One of the best books I have read this year!
Now some visual aids:
That one is for the schmucks who don't agree with me.
Fantasy Buddy Reads: Steel's Edge [August 4, 2018] 18 28 Aug 10, 2018 11:53AM
Play Book Tag: Steel's Edge - Ilona Andrews - 5 stars 2 9 May 19, 2016 08:33AM
Is this the last one? 6 93 Jun 09, 2015 12:48PM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add to series 3 47 Apr 08, 2014 08:10AM
Lovers of Paranor...: [BOTM] - SERIES PICK - Steel's Edge by Ilona Andrews 4 38 Feb 05, 2014 06:25PM

• Soul Taken (Mercy Thompson, #13)
  • Storm Echo (Psy-Changeling Trinity, #6; Psy-Changeling, #21)
  • Eclipse the Moon (Starlight's Shadow, #2)
  • Fair Game (Alpha & Omega, #3)
  • Dead Heat (Alpha & Omega #4)
  • Burn Bright (Alpha & Omega, #5)
  • Raven Cursed (Jane Yellowrock, #4)
  • Fire Touched (Mercy Thompson, #9)
  • Honor and Shadows (Starlight's Shadow, #0.5)
  • Night Shift (World of Kate Daniels, #8.5; SPI Files, #0.5; Psy-Changeling, #12.5; Barbarian, #1)
  • Archangel's Resurrection (Guild Hunter, #15)
  • Silence Fallen (Mercy Thompson, #10)
  • Wild Sign (Alpha & Omega, #6)
  • Hunting Ground (Alpha & Omega, #2)
  • Hunt the Stars (Starlight's Shadow, #1)
  • Final Heir (Jane Yellowrock, #15)
  • Night Broken (Mercy Thompson, #8)
  • River Marked (Mercy Thompson, #6)
See top shelves…
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more

The Edge (4 books)
  • On the Edge (The Edge, #1)
  • Bayou Moon (The Edge, #2)
  • Fate's Edge (The Edge, #3)