Start by marking “To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings” as Want to Read:
To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings

To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings

From the author of the bestselling Anam Cara comes a beautiful collection of blessings to help readers through both the everyday and the extraordinary events of their lives.

John O'Donohue, Irish teacher and poet, has been widely praised for his gift of drawing on Celtic spiritual traditions to create words of inspiration and wisdom for today. In To Bless the Space Between
Published March 4th 2008 by Convergent Books (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about To Bless the Space Between Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Bless the Space Between Us

Start your review of To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings
Casey Pick
Aug 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a book of blessing-poems, and I suppose the simplest way to express its impact on me is to say that I was blessed when my friend put this book into my hands. Over the course of a summer away from home, I read it cover to cover, and the experience was like being a stone that fell into a creek - gradually, gently, each page worked to wear away some rough edges, leaving a new smoothness of spirit behind. I can't really point to a particular piece that sticks out in my mind - it isn't that k ...more
Brandy Walker
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
"Blessed" is a grossly overused word. But, this. This is different! There is something so pure about a blessing: words woven together with a delicate pen so that someone else might experience joy and love and happiness. I use this to bless people weekly, if not daily. Amazing.
Beth
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
This is a beautiful collection of blessings by John O'Donohue, that has come out just month's after his untimely death. His celtic poems and voice are eloquent. His blessings are absolutely beautiful. Listening to him read them, with his Irish dialect, is captivating. At the end of the book, he writes about retrieving the lost art of blessings. "Something deep in the human soul seems to depend on the presence of kindness; something instinctive in us expects it, and once we sense it we are able t ...more
Cindy Rollins
Apr 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, 20for2020reads
My friend Kim Huitt sent me one of these blessings and I loved it so much I immediately bought this book which turned out to be perfect Lenten reading. Here is one of my favorite blessings from the book:

FOR LONGING
Blessed be the longing that brought you here
And quickens your soul with wonder.
May you have the courage to listen to the voice of desire
That disturbs you when you have settled for something safe.
May you have the wisdom to enter generously into your own unease
To discover the new dire
Abany
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is one of the richest books I've ever had the pleasure of reading.
Incredible source for family, ministry, prayers, toasts and even times of remembrance.
Mr. O'Donohue uses the most beautiful and poetic language to bless our modern day with life, hope + restoration for the soul.
Laurie Buchanan
Apr 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is the last book from Irish poet and spiritual teacher John O'Donohue, one of the most lyrical writers of our times, who died suddenly and unexpectedly in January 2008.

A blessing breaks down the barriers between people and is the ultimate form of intimacy. It changes the environment around us and opens new possibilities of connection, healing, and transformation. O'Donohue laments that in the West we have "no rituals to protect, encourage, and guide us as we cross over into the unknown." Th
Katie
May 14, 2015 rated it liked it
May I live this day
Compassionate of heart,
Clear in word,
Gracious in awareness,
Courageous in thought,
Generous in love.

After a Destructive Encounter (!!!)
Now that you have entered with an open heart
Into a complex and fragile situation,
Hoping with patience and respect
To tread softly over sore ground in order
That somewhere beneath the raw estrangement
Some fresh spring of healing might be coaxed
To release the grace for a new journey
Beyond repetition and judgment,
And have achieved nothing of that,
Bu
Travel Writing
Feb 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone!
John O'Donahue's last book, published after his untimely death, is one of the most profoundly touching books I have ever encountered.

I am not sure I can say I merely read this book, I more inhabited it. I reach for it when I need a moment of grace, a moment of support, or a moment of remembrance that we are all ephemeral.

John O'Donahue writes: ...it has been one of the deepest longings of the human heart to strain against the erosion of one's life, to find a way of living and being that manages
Sarah Clarke-Smith
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
I recently heard John O'Donohue on one of my favorite podcasts, "On Being.” I fell in love with his Irish accent and his message of beauty, souls and sense of the meaning of life. I loved his sharing and perspective on ancient Celtic wisdom, German philosophers and even bits of his Christian message about what God is. “The word blessing evokes a sense of warmth and protection; it suggests that no life is alone or unreachable. Each life is clothed in rainment of spirit that secretly links it to e ...more
David
Mar 17, 2019 rated it liked it
I...I don't know.

Perhaps it was that I didn't attend to its stated purpose as a book of informal liturgics. Perhaps my aesthetic is unrefined, or overly refined. Perhaps I brought a warped expectation, shaped by the delicious couplets and quatrains whose excerpted sharing drew me to this book.

Here and there, it was lovely and meaningful. It comes, clearly, from a gracious soul. I did not dislike it.

But more often than not, it didn't quite work. I wanted it to work, to sing, to resonate. I felt l
Jenny Benson
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Do yourself a favor and get this in hard copy. You'll return to it again and again. It's a great way to stop and take in the moment when you're starting something new, at a life threshold, or just experiencing loss or love.
"A blessing evokes a privileged intimacy. It touches that tender membrane where the human heart cries out to its divine ground."
Kelly
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
It's a book of blessings for things you might expect (a new home, a birthday, retirement) but also so many other blessings: a blessing for courage, for friendship, for an addict, for one who is exhausted, for a nurse, on meeting a stranger...it's all so beautiful and alive and dealing directly with souls. The author divides the blessings into sections and the end of the book is what he describes as, "a poetic essay on recovering the lost art of blessing." I don't think there has been a single da ...more
Justin Wiggins
Sep 03, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This amazing Irish poet and philosopher had a great understanding of language, and I read and re-read many of these blessings about death, birth, marriage, loneliness, depression, joy, meals, solitude, joy, celebration, love, community, art, and grace with great joy, indeed.
This book came to me at just the time in my life when I needed it, and for that i am immensely thankful.
Cheri
Sep 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
I wanted to love this book. It had such promise--a book of blessings for all occasions, written by an Irish author who had a Celtic theological bent. Despite the author's claim that these are blessings (and that he prays in Jesus' name), the "open-endedness" of their language dilutes any power they have as Celtic Christian blessings and makes them feel more like random lines of words (the author takes great pains to say it's not poetry...so who am I to argue? :) ) Other parts were just not bless ...more
Pat Loughery
Feb 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely gorgeous poetic words of blessing for everyday events in life: birth, illness, breaking up, entering adulthood, meeting a stranger, so many others.

John o'Donohue's voice is sacred and whimsical and wise and dearly missed,

I would rate this book 7 stars on a scale from 1 to 5. It is that beautiful.

For a fantastic interview of O'Donohue, see Krista Tippett's podcast On Being, at http://being.publicradio.org/programs..., completed just prior yonhis untimely death. It helps so much to hear
Julie Vandlen
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book of blessings by the Irish poet John O'Donohue is essential for those going through transitions in life or anyone in need of insight. I am eternally reading this book because it sits next to my bed and i pick it up and read an installment as i need one. O'Donohue has included blessings for many stages of life; a new job, for the new mother, new beginning, or simply for emotions being experienced. It is beautifully written and I feel that everyone should own this book because you never k ...more
Sep 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book of blessings for every situation. Would to love to have this one on my bookshelf as the blessings are great to share.
Emily Briano
Apr 04, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book of blessings from John O'Donohue.
Wesley Wilson
Sep 28, 2020 rated it really liked it

I started to read this book for a book club through an online yoga community. My goal was to read one blessing a day, and I met this goal for about a month, but then I got busy, and my readings became sporadic. I believe that I will read blessings from this book again, but I would plan to read them when they are more suiting.

Coincidentally, I read the blessing “Blessing for a New Home” when my roommate moved out. It wasn’t a new home, but it felt like a different home. I hadn’t lived alone fo

Sue
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I’ve had this book for years and just realized I’ve never reviewed it. This is a volume that rarely leaves my desk, and always has multiple post it stickers to remind me of prayers I want to go back to at various times of the year. The writing is eloquent, yet concise; raw, yet sensitive. I highly recommend this one.
Jacob
Jul 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A beautiful book of blessings for significant occasions, inspired by Celtic Christian thought.
EunSung
Feb 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book so much. I have used these blessings to bless individuals and groups in my work place. John O’Donohue’s words touch me and others at the level of the heart.

May you who read this be blessed. May the gift of words flower and grow in the seat of your heart.
Demetrius Rogers
Some beautiful lines and turns of phrases in what I would take to be an enjoyable work of poetry.
Olivia
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this collection of blessings. Beautifully written. One of my favorites was “For a New Position,” which was especially timely for me as I’m embarking on a new season of my career. I felt like this part was written for me:

Be fair in your expectations,
Compassionate in your criticism.
May you have the grace of encouragement
To awaken the gift in the other’s heart,
Building in them the confidence
To follow the call of the gift.
Matt
Sep 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm conflicted about this. I was hoping to love it. It seemed right up my alley — O'Donohue even described the act of blessing as "like the discovery of a fresh well" in the "parched deserts of postmodernity," which is exactly the sort of metaphor I find tantalizing.

And I did like a lot of the book. Each blessing is written a loose poetic form and addresses one topic, life event, or challenge. There were a few — "For Eros", "For Love in the Time of Conflict", and "For Belonging" — that I loved.

Heather
Jan 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
I was working on a sermon on "covenant" for this past Sunday, and found this book very helpful for why we human beings need ritual, blessing, ceremony, verbal acknowledgment of transition and "crossings" in our lives. It's a beautiful collection of Blessings for almost every occasion you can imagine.
Anna
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is only book that I have owned that has stayed on my nightstand from the first day I picked it up.

John's beautiful crafted blessings will serve you in one way or another at every moment in your life.
Elise
Jun 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As a pastor, this little book of poems and blessings is beyond helpful. It's especially good for couples who are just starting out in their spiritual journey because it's expansive enough to not feel too stiff or threatening.
Jonathan
Dec 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most beautifully crafted books that I have ever read.
It is a book that I will always cherish, take notes on and in, memorize and love.
This is a must read.
Marie

Oh boy, am I choosing all the bad books? Am I? Because that seems to be the case. I wanted to mark this as the "devotional" prompt for the book challenge, I'm not going to. I'm severely disappointed. I suppose Celtic Christianity suffers the same new agey kidnapping as the Franciscan Order. After all, many people think of St. Patrick as some hippie.

I was hoping some poetic license from what I saw on reviews, and on accounts of knowing the author was "a poet". But not this. If you really like Ce
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
A book of bleesings 2 17 Jun 13, 2012 09:15AM

• The Cure for Sorrow: A Book of Blessings for Times of Grief
  • Consolations: The Solace, Nourishment and Underlying Meaning of Everyday Words
  • In the Shelter: Finding a Home in the World
  • Crossing the Unknown Sea: Work as a Pilgrimage of Identity
  • The Selected Poems of Wendell Berry
  • The Drama of Scripture: Finding Our Place in the Biblical Story
  • New Seeds of Contemplation
  • Self to Lose, Self to Find: Using the Enneagram to Uncover Your True, God-Gifted Self
  • Miracles and Other Reasonable Things: A Story of Unlearning and Relearning God
  • New Collected Poems
  • Live Beautiful
John O'Donohue, Ph.D., was born in County Clare in 1956. He spoke Irish as his native language and lived in a remote cottage in the west of Ireland until his untimely death in January 2008. A highly respected poet and philosopher, he lectured throughout Europe and America and wrote a number of popular books, including Anam Cara and To Bless the Space Between Us.

News & Interviews

“For Equilibrium, a Blessing:
Like the joy of the sea coming home to shore,
May the relief of laughter rinse through your soul.

As the wind loves to call things to dance,
May your gravity by lightened by grace.

Like the dignity of moonlight restoring the earth,
May your thoughts incline with reverence and respect.

As water takes whatever shape it is in,
So free may you be about who you become.

As silence smiles on the other side of what's said,
May your sense of irony bring perspective.

As time remains free of all that it frames,
May your mind stay clear of all it names.

May your prayer of listening deepen enough
to hear in the depths the laughter of god.”
424 likes
“Each of us is an artist of our days; the greater our integrity and awareness, the more original and creative our time will become.” 93 likes