Start by marking “The Guilt of Innocents (Owen Archer, #9)” as Want to Read:
The Guilt of Innocents (Owen Archer, #9)

The Guilt of Innocents

(Owen Archer #9)

Winter in the year of our Lord 1372. A river pilot falls into the icy waters of the River Ouse during a skirmish between dockworkers and the boys of the minster school, which include Owen Archers adopted son Jasper. But what began as a confrontation to return a boys stolen scrip becomes a murder investigation as the rescuers find the pilot dying of wounds inflicted before ...more
Published 2007 by Random House

To ask other readers questions about The Guilt of Innocents, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Guilt of Innocents

Start your review of The Guilt of Innocents (Owen Archer, #9)
Jen
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Guilt of Innocents, book 9 in the Owen Archer series. Well, sometimes I can't resist "just one more" book in a series. This fictional mystery was inspired by a real incident, and Robb's imagination involves Owen Archer.

The characters continue to be enriched, especially Alisoun and Jasper, whose roles have enlarged. Magda could anchor a series on her own.

Robb's ability to draw the reader into the lives of her characters, those who are real and those who are fictional, but who have enough
Marlene
Oct 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Reading Reality

The Guilt of Innocents is the 9th story in the Owen Archer historical mystery series. I read at least the first five books in this series sometime in the way back, and absolutely loved them. But somewhere along the way I stopped, a casualty of the so many books, so little time problem. Although now that I have dived back into this marvelous series, I have some very sincere regrets at having missed some of the middle books.

If you love historical mystery,
Susan
Jan 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all who like historic who done its
Recommended to Susan by: authors list
Excellent murder/mystery contains everything, history, passion
Laura Tolomei
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I keep reading this series for its well-depicted historical context and interesting mystery, but I'm still disappointed with Ms. Robb's weak character development.

Not just between the protagonistsLucy and Owen, where it seems trust is lacking and anger or misunderstanding quick to fuel in spite of ten years of living together and 4 children.

Also between such occasional characters like Hubert and his mother, where it's not credible that adoration should turn to hate or indifference as fast as Ms.
C.L. Spillard
Feb 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
I love to read these adventures set in York as it was back in the day - and as large chunks of it stil are! This one full of lively characters, many by now a little older and wiser than in the first one I read.

What particularly appeals to me are the Author's Notes after the tale - the searches in our city's archives where she got the information and inspiration; the way a tale comes together in an author's mind.

Why not 5 stars this time? Only that I found some of the prose a little more
BRT
Aug 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nook, series
Not quite as lively a story in this series. Owen and his wife Lucie have settled into a comfortable domesticity. Owen's adopted son is a witness of sorts to a murder that Owen is charged to investigate. It was nice to see the character of Jasper developed a bit more but the complications of two schools in the Minster sort of muddied the story. The culprit stood out fairly quickly since he was clearly the most evil person in the story, although there was some initial confusion as to motive.
Deborah
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Excellent read, tight storyline, good treatment of characters, rich historical context. One of the best of the Owen Archer series.
Cheryl
Jun 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-edition
Great book but sad to let this series go.
Lynne
Mar 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I like the books about Owen archer set in York in 1372 good reading
J.J.
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Well written, well researched cosy detective novel set in 14th century York. The pace was a little slow and there were a lot of characters to get to know.
Yvette Joyce
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Owen Archer

Another great Owen Archer mystery. Owen and Jasper bond again. Great story very well told great twists as expected from Candace Robb
Kathleen
Sep 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It is very glorious to have Candace Robb's Owen Archer series on kindle! Now to figure out what is left for me to read and get the rest.So great too is that you can look at a kindle sample to make sure you get the correct ones.

Enough about Kindle and on to this absolutely amazing book which was perfect in every way. I so did not want it to end and of course it did, but everyone was happy and well at the end. Lucie, Owen and Jasper's characters have such depth and the period details are superb,

"
Rachael Hewison
I feel I may be being slightly unfair to Robb since I went straight into the fourth book of the series and then onto this, the ninth book, without reading the ones in between. Perhaps that would have made me enjoy this one more.

It was good to see that some of the characters I loved from the fourth book were still there and still as likeable as ever. There were also some new (to me) characters such as Jasper and it was wonderful to see how his character developed.

However the actual plot of the
Argum
Owen Archer once again investigates this time with Jasper along for some of the ride. A boy from Jasper's school was robbed by a bargeman and when the other students go to retrieve it from him because the boy has gone home to tend to his mother in his father's military absence, the bargeman dies. But not because of the fight he was stabbed with a poisoned knife. Owen gets involved but there are politics involved too because a rival school is upsetting people. Dark secrets come out. Lucie and ...more
Kathy Moberg
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
It's been a long time since I've read an Owen Archer mystery. I read recently that Candace Robb may be writing a new one in the foreseeable future, and that led me to picking this one up as it has been in my To Read pile for a long time. I enjoyed it immensely! The series is as good as I remembered. Readers should start from the beginning (Apothecary Rose)which, sadly, is easier said than done these days. I believe the last couple books were only published in Great Britain, too. It's worth ...more
Andrew
It was a while since I read an adventure of Owen Archer. I must say that I always appreciate this kind of mystery in middle ages. Also in this book, like the previous ones, the plot unfolds page after page with a greater depth to the characters as they proceed. I really like this series and I appreciate the ability of this author to put his characters in the historical context, creating links with facts and real people of the time. Fluent, never boring or too convoluted, in my opinion it's a ...more
Angie Taylor
Jan 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was probably the most enjoyable book I have read for some time. Candace Robb has spun an intriguing and well managed tale which kept me engrossed far longer than my work schedule allowed. The story is easy to follow but never predictable and there are some genuinely moving moments in it, very human which is a quality often missing in the blood and gore of this particular genre of fiction. The highest praise I can find for this charming but still sufficiently thrilling little book is that I ...more
Michael Mallory
Feb 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Candace Robb is almost unerring. All of her Owen Archer mysteries are fascinating both as crime novels and historical novels. "The Guilt of Innocents" is a densely plotted story with myriad twists and turns, and if the identity of the killer isn't exactly a shocker, the rationale behind the crimes is cleverly thought out and presented. Robb has a real gift for creating realistically human characters (sometimes tragically so) whose secret motivations fortify this story. Highly recommended.
jeannette frances gliddon
All the OwenArcher books are a good read. Unfortunately I always want more than the author is able to write!

I would recommend all of them to readers who enjoy Ellis Peters Brother Caedfiel book.I see now reason to keep on adding words when they are not needed!
Janet
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
I have struggled with the last book or so of this series. I love York and enjoy reading about the era of the Archer series, but I found this one to be choppy and actually contain some run-on sentences that jolted. I found myself struggling to finish this one.
Scott L.
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Candace Robb's books keep improving. The downside of this one is that the murderer is telegraphed far before the actual solving of the case; however, that does not limit the enjoyment of the rest of the book. The Owen Archer series is fun to read!
Wiebke Kuhn
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Owen Archer is at it again in 13th century England, this time trying to discover who murdered one of the boat people while helping his son's school friend. Not as convincing as earlier books in this series, but still fun to read.
Kathy
Nov 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Jasper and Owen forge relationship; Lucie gives birth to baby girl; murders to be investigated revolve around greed; lots of hearth and home in these books with mix of religious beliefs of the time.
Mavis Hewitt
Like the Owen Archer series and as expected enjoyed this one, liked it that Jasper started to develop as a character.
Amy
Nov 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This series gets better and better. Wish I didn't have to send to the UK to get them in the US...
Michele Bariani
Apr 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All Robb's novels set in Middle Ages' York fascinate me deeply. Maybe also because I've been in that city and I love its atmosphere, but I definitely like her work.
Betty
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
It was really nice to revisit Owain Archer and family.
Rebecca Cresswell
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
another strong story!
Ron Nurmi
Jan 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
book 9 of the Archer Owen's series based in 14th Cent. York
Judy Sutherland
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyable read, good characters, not to demanding

• The Monastery Murders (Stanton & Barling, #2)
  • The King's Justice (Stanton & Barling #1)
  • The Merchant's Tale (Oxford Medieval Mysteries, #4)
  • Dark Justice
  • The Novice's Tale (Oxford Medieval Mysteries, #2)
  • The Golden Crucifix
  • The Huntsman's Tale (Oxford Medieval Mysteries, #3)
  • A Simple Country Deception (Helen Lightholder #6)
  • State of Treason (William Constable Spy Thriller series Book 1)
  • The Sanctuary Murders (Matthew Bartholomew, #24)
  • Sprig Muslin
  • Murder in Mayfair (Atlas Catesby #1)
  • The King's Spy (Thomas Hill, #1)
  • Now You See Them (Stephens & Mephisto Mystery, #5)
  • Murder Wears a Cowl (Hugh Corbett, #6)
  • Act of Mercy (Sister Fidelma, #8)
  • The Teatime Mystery (Jenny Starling, #6)
  • A Necessary Killing (William Constable Spy Thriller series Book 2)

Storyteller, mythweaver, author of the Owen Archer, Kate Clifford, & Margaret Kerr mysteries. Primary residence, medieval York.

I blog about writing, medieval history, writing women's stories, and feature new scholarship in my field at candacerobbbooks.com, and share loads of medieval news, folklore, and whimsy on my facebook page, Candace Robb

Owen Archer (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • The Apothecary Rose (Owen Archer, #1)
  • The Lady Chapel (Owen Archer, #2)
  • The Nun's Tale (Owen Archer, #3)
  • The King's Bishop (Owen Archer, #4)
  • The Riddle of St. Leonard's (Owen Archer, #5)
  • A Gift of Sanctuary (Owen Archer, #6)
  • A Spy for the Redeemer (Owen Archer, #7)
  • The Cross-Legged Knight (Owen Archer, #8)
  • A Vigil of Spies (Owen Archer, #10)
  • A Conspiracy of Wolves (Owen Archer #11)