Start by marking “Little Bets: How Breakthrough Ideas Emerge from Small Discoveries” as Want to Read:
Little Bets: How Breakthrough Ideas Emerge from Small Discoveries

Little Bets: How Breakthrough Ideas Emerge from Small Discoveries

“An enthusiastic, example-rich argument for innovating in a particular way—by deliberately experimenting and taking small exploratory steps in novel directions. Light, bright, and packed with tidy anecdotes” (The Wall Street Journal).

What do Apple CEO Steve Jobs, comedian Chris Rock, prize-winning architect Frank Gehry, and the story developers at Pixar films all have in c
Published July 16th 2013 by Simon Schuster (first published April 5th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Little Bets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little Bets

Oct 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
Some take-aways that I appreciated:
- Ask people what they think before you have a professional looking model. Create something out of cardboard or duct tape (everyone's favorite). People feel more free to make recommendations or give honest input when they see it's a work in progress.

- When people provide feedback, there's no penalty. Create an atmosphere where it's okay to disagree. Humor is key. Too bad I'm not funny.

- Success hides problems. (This makes a lot of sense to me)

- When going
Clif Hostetler
The "little bets" referenced by the book's title are low-risk actions taken to discover, develop, and test an idea that represent a potentially better way to do something. Numerous low-risk trials can allow appropriate mid-step adjustments and changes that can improve the prospects of success. Failures that occur along the way can be accepted as positive feedback that point toward a change in direction or perhaps ending the proposed venture before large financial losses are experienced.

There's r
Marc Brackett
Jun 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fascinating little book. It pulls from numerous studies, books, and real life examples to make a most convincing case.

Overlooked I think were the differences between self identified lucky and unlucky people. The study had the two groups count the number of pictures in a newspaper. It took the unlucky group on average 2 minutes while the lucky group finished the task in seconds. What could possibly explain the difference in performance? Turns out on page two which had a picture that t
Neil
Feb 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finally read another book. I'm really proud of myself. It only took a month to get through 160 pages.

Anyways, though, this book's fine. I like the attitude of books like this, though the content never really set me on fire -- this guy seems to have interviewed like 6 subjects and just reintroduces them constantly, especially Pixar. (Every chapter, each of which teaches a supposedly different lesson, will have a moment like "....FOR INSTANCE AT PIXAR" or "...REMEMBER AT PIXAR WHEN..."). The mes
Jagadish
Dec 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book little bets view our experience of things in a new way .
How can errors produce perfection?How can failure fuel ambition?How can confusion enhance creativity?
The answer: little bets.
The little bets approach is about using negativity to positive effect. If your plans fall apart, refine them; if you don’t know where best to begin, just begin somewhere. Every decision is a risk: take a chance and see what happens.
Little Bets is based on the proposition that we can use a lot of little bets
Ian Stewart
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lively, short book on creativity, risk-taking, feedback, and making successful products. Loved it. Really encouraging.
Evan
Aug 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you are the kind who actively seeks out advice on how to succeed, you won't be surprised at the advice Peter Sims has given. I most certainly was delighted by how having the mindset is so vital in succeeding in your endeavors.

In this book, there are a few mindsets, namely
1) Making little bets so that you can make big bets
2) Cultivating a growth mindset - To deal with failure / obstacles
3) Being proactive - Proactively failing so that you can learn faster
4) Knowing how to play - To make each
Corina
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book collects a lot of design thinking principles together under the umbrella of "little bets," i.e. prototyping and the "fail early and often" idea. There are basically just a few case studies that get brought up repeatedly (Pixar, The Sketches of Frank Gehry, Chris Rock) but a smattering of interesting other research comes up too. Like how lucky people actually just are more open-minded/observant. So it's Malcolm Gladwell -esque but the fact that I found myself most skimming is a sign tha ...more
Warner
Jan 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was hoping for more of a framework, but after reading this book it turns out that I was already doing a lot of what the author was talking about and that the framework he recommends is essentially a twist on Agile development and small iterations. Oh well, at least I didn't buy this when it was brand new and full price.
Brian
(3.0) Note: do not audiobook this because of the reader.
Boni Aditya
Nov 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology
The book is good, it is well structured. It has good reasoning, good research behind it and it is true about taking little risks while attempting to reach some huge goal. But, the book fails to create the WOW effect! I am happy that the author kept it short - with less than 250 pages - some authors pull it to 600 odd pages only because they can!

The concept is pretty straight forward, this was explained to my in a famous folklore of Indian History.

Alexander was Invading India, i.e. he was at Pun
Ricardo Garcia
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information.
Taka
Aug 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cool concept, not very detailed--

The book's concepts are all cool and interesting.

The book combines the findings of Carow Dweck (fixed vs. growth mindsets), Eric von Hippel (active users and innovation), Csikszentmihalyi (problem finders vs. problem solvers), Richard Wiseman (being open to experiences increases your luck), and other research and innovations in psychology, economics, and business.

The concept of little bets is basically this: creative things emerge from random, non-linear, unpredi
John
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is about using small failures to define the path to large successes.

It's OK to feel around in the dark with the only plan to move forward once the path becomes clear. This is not a passive strategy by any means; but it respects that you can't plot a straight course from where you are to where you want to be, and that this is acceptable.

"The best way to predict the future is to invent it." -- Alan Kay, technologist & inventor

I had an epiphany while reading it; I left a job of 18 yea
Heather
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Good book. I like the premise and reminder of looking for small connections that lead to innovation....and practicing in small arenas where you can learn from your mistakes quickly in order to move on and grow and improve. There are some great references and stories and examples of innovators who were willing to learn. I like the tie to anthropology and social science and how people use their diverse experiences to make connections and create something new, as well as the examples of people talk ...more
John Britto
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Little Bets" is good motivational book by Peter Sims. Though out this book Peter talks about how the great innovators/successors have reached that level is that they dreamt of the success at initial step itself or they started with small idea and that payed off and emerged as great thing. Entirely this was like an argument to achieve innovation in a particular way. There are so many examples that authors brings to user's consciousness like growth of Pixar, comedian Chris Rock, architect Frank G ...more
BLACK CAT
Sep 21, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fixed vs. growth mindset (Carol Dweck): develop growth mindset.
Embrace failure and learn from it.
Don't build a whole final solution, iterate through small experiments (bets) and see what works.
Minimum viable product: prototyping, fail fast/fail forward, learn, pivot...
Be a curious person and question everything to learn more. Meet new and different people, diversity will bring creativity.
Small Wins: signs that you are on the right track.

Mary
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was interesting and entertaining. I liked the approach of the book and the tons of examples.
J.F. Penn
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, writing
Interesting for creatives in dealing with experimentation, failure and improving creativity. Good anecdotal examples.
Cindi
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What is The process of creating? How do these innovators succeed? Peter Sims, in a very affirming, non judgemental way, shines a light on these questions, by bringing understanding to the bumps and starts and ups and downs of innovation. Using humor and everyday analogies, a bit of tongue in cheek humor and candor.The author takes you into the studio of creativity, you see the messes and false starts and courage brave souls had. People from all walks of life have to take risks, small steps, face ...more
Lance Willett
Goal: Replace your linear thinking with a more experimental approach to learn faster. Do things to and discover what to do.

Key point:

Being able to create, navigate amid uncertainty, and adapt using an experimental approach will be a vital advantage.

Fundamentals of the little bets approach:

1. Experiment: Learn by doing. Fail quickly to learn fast. Develop experiments and prototypes to gather insights, identify problems, and build up creative ideas.
2. Play: A playful, improvisational, and humorous
Edu Muniz Costa
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Provocative little book that present lots of exemples of people in any area of activities that use little trials, before doing any amazing thing. It’s a book that tell you “don’t be afraid, just try it and see what you get”.

Is that “don’t be afraid, try it” experience that takes you to the next level.

If you don’t try you have nothing to loose and nothing to win

If you wait the perfection to try you may loose lots of time and money

If you try a little thing you may loose a little but even if you
Walter Underwood
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good information, though the writing didn't really captivate me. It does make me want to read more about Pixar and HP. The Frank Gehry section really could have used some photos.

Feel free to skip stuff, for example, I already knew the growth mindset work from Prof. Carol Dweck. And I didn't find the fMRI studies of music improvisation very convincing.

Read it for the "big bet" failures at HP and how they learned from that, plus the Pixar stuff, "We never finish a film, we just release it." This a
Tyler Standish
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A must read for managers, leaders, and aspiring entrepreneurs. The lessons of this book are important and deserve to be understood by all. "Invention and discovery emanate from being able to try seemingly wild possibilities, and work in the unknown; to be comfortable being wrong before being right; to live in the world as a keen observer with an openness to experiences and ideas; to play with ideas without censoring oneself or others; to persist through dark valleys with a growth mindset; to imp ...more
Tyler Roberts
This book struck me as a superficial look at some of the main ideas in Black Swan by Nassim Taleb, as well his following book Antifragile. For those looking for more concrete examples, I would recommend this book. However, personally, I prefer books that get to the root of an idea. In other words, this book will explain the importance of making little bets through a few stories, while Taleb has already explained why it's important to make little bets, and what other implications exist for said r ...more
Cristobal
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of those books that sticks to just one simple idea and through repetition and clear evidence shows why it is powerful. The books message is applicable to all aspects of life, not just business: big changes in life seldom come from betting the house on one gigantic change, on the contrary it is through small, selective, and containable bets that you can measure what has the best chance of success and then go all in on them.

Thoroughly enjoyable, I highly recommend it for anyone who fee
Paul
Sep 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Prior to reading this book, I already had an inkling of its main idea. Plenty of business books refer to this book so I had to get myself a copy and read it. It only took me a few hours to finish it because it is less than 200 pages. The premise of the book is to make a series of little bets to gauge the effectivity of a big goal. Small wins would be a good feedback for these little bets. In other words, fail fast and fail cheap. Peter Sims gives case studies of successful companies like Pixar a ...more
André Borges
It's a light and easy little book. I started reading it because of Cal Newport's "So Good They Can't Ignore You", where he defends the "little bets" technique.

If you're looking for a methodical and profound approach, this is not the book. Peter Sims ended up talking about diverse subjects in a superficial depth, with almost an random criteria.

Since it is very short and inspiring, it's great choice for a weekend reading.
Linda
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little but very interesting book proposes the idea of making little bets that have the potential advance an organization with less risk. Even if the little bets result in failure, the organizations learns from it and continues to improve. He provides many real-world examples, including Chris Rock and Pixar.
Aaron Blohowiak
Explores the convexity of low-risk experiments and then the psychosocial implications of incremental wins, without using that language or exploring the dynamic foundations that lead to the results explored. Lots of anecdata making the same point many times (like most "business books.") The point it makes is a good one, but probably ~4 hours too long (listened to ~5.5 hour long audiobook version.)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
FULL Creative Lib...: Little Bets 2 7 Mar 06, 2014 11:14AM

• Power: Why Some People Have it and Others Don't
  • Borrowing Brilliance: The Six Steps to Business Innovation by Building on the Ideas of Others
  • Why Not?: How to Use Everyday Ingenuity to Solve Problems Big And Small
  • The Other Side of Innovation: Solving the Execution Challenge
  • Universal Traveler
  • Zig Zag: The Surprising Path to Greater Creativity
  • Brains on Fire: Igniting Powerful, Sustainable, Word of Mouth Movements
  • The Lean Entrepreneur: How Visionaries Create Products, Innovate with New Ventures, and Disrupt Markets
  • The Innovator's DNA: Mastering the Five Skills of Disruptive Innovators
  • Mindfire: Big Ideas for Curious Minds
  • Brazen Careerist: The New Rules for Success
  • The Power of Pull: How Small Moves, Smartly Made, Can Set Big Things in Motion
  • What the Most Successful People Do at Work: A Short Guide to Making Over Your Career
  • Design Driven Innovation: Changing the Rules of Competition by Radically Innovating What Things Mean
  • The Mesh: Why the Future of Business Is Sharing
  • Real Influence: Persuade Without Pushing and Gain Without Giving In
  • Peak: How Great Companies Get Their Mojo from Maslow
  • Managing The Design Factory:  A Product Developer's Toolkit
“The key is to take a larger project or goal and break it down into smaller problems to be solved, constraining the scope of work to solving a key problem, and then another key problem.
This strategy, of breaking a project down into discrete, relatively small problems to be resolved, is what Bing Gordon, a cofounder and the former chief creative officer of the video game company Electronic Arts, calls smallifying. Now a partner at the venture capital firm Kleiner Perkins, Gordon has deep experience leading and working with software development teams. He’s also currently on the board of directors of Amazon and Zynga. At Electronic Arts, Gordon found that when software teams worked on longer-term projects, they were inefficient and took unnecessary paths. However, when job tasks were broken down into particular problems to be solved, which were manageable and could be tackled within one or two weeks, developers were more creative and effective.”
3 likes
“What is the purpose of education? Is it to impart knowledge and facts or is it to nurture curiosity, effortful problem solving, and the capacity for lifelong learning? Educational historians have repeatedly shown that today’s schools were designed during the first half of the twentieth century to meet the demands of the industrial era, not an innovative knowledge economy. “Very few schools teach students how to create knowledge,” says Professor Keith Sawyer of Washington University, a leading education and innovation researcher. “Instead, students are taught that knowledge is static and complete, and they become experts at consuming knowledge rather than producing knowledge.” This is unacceptable. Change” 1 likes