Start by marking “Dane (The MacKenzie Brothers #1)” as Want to Read:
Dane (The MacKenzie Brothers #1)

Read eBook

Dane (The MacKenzie Family #1)

3.49  ·  Rating details ·  10,205 Ratings  ·  717 Reviews
This is book #1 of the MacKenzie Brothers Quartet!

Bad boy, Dane MacKenzie, is coming home to Surrender, Montana. It's been ten years since he left the woman he loved behind to make a name for himself, and now he's bound and determined to claim her once and for all.But Charlotte Munroe has no desire to welcome home the Prodigal Son with a fatted calf. The bitterness of Dane
Nook, 63 pages
Published July 15th 2011 by Liliana Hart (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Dane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dane

Shari Kay
1.5 ✭

It's short (really short) and mostly sex. Dane comes back after being gone 10 years. Of course, he gone through lots of OW over the years, but claims to have only ever loved Charlotte. He needed to leave his small town after his mother's death, to make something of himself in her memory and for Charlie to be proud of him.

Yup, I'm buying that one....

Did I mention he never tried to keep in contact with her after he left, or find out what happened to her in those 10 years away from her? His b
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***3.5 Stars***

This was a really solid start to what looks like a great series centering on four brothers in the small town of Surrender, Montana.

I love me a good ol' small town setting.

Here we're introduced to the second oldest MacKenzie, Dane. Dane blew out of town weeks after his mother's passing. Grief, confusion, frustration and a host of other emotions began suffocating him. Losing his best friend and biggest supporter was a blow too difficult to get back up from....so Dane left Surrende
Anne OK
Aug 31, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-reads
Bought on Kindle; short and sexy. That's about all I can say about this one. He rode into town, straight into the arms of the girl he left behind 10 years ago. They do the deed on top of her desk, and she leaves. Later he finds out she has kept a BIG secret from him, he finds her again the same night, confronts her with the secret, she confesses, and this time they find a bed. The declare their love for one another. The End.

Note: Nothing different, same old.
Lisa
Feb 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

Dane is a very short read about the prodigal MacKenzie brother returning to the small town of Surrender, Montana. He reunites with his long lost love, discovers he has a son and voila.... a HEA. The writing is pretty decent and if you go in knowing that you are going to get a short story, you will likely enjoy this read.
♡Karlyn P♡
It had potential, including (what could be) a great cast of characters for a full-sized series and some good writing, but over all it was too short. This was just a very short steamy novella. Much was left unsaid and unaddressed. BUT, since this was a teaser for a full series we may get those answers in later books.
Sobia
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was ok

Dammit, i need to do better research before starting new books...this is a novella. An erotic one. That means the H and h jump into the sack waaaay to fast and there's hardly any story...seriously, to some extent I wonder why they even other with a plot synopsis in books like these? While this author does a great job of tying up the story at the end, maybe only 10 % ( if that) of the story is actual...well, story.

It's sorta like watching a movie with someone who's already seen it, and fast forwa
Karla
Sep 10, 2011 rated it liked it
This had so much potential, but was way too short. The author could have given us a bit more in the way of character development and it still would have been a nice little novella. What I did read however was very very steamy, I was insanely attracted to Dane and his brothers, but I wanted more!
Keri
Dane and Charlotte,

You haven't seen each other in 10 years and not even 10 minutes after meeting again, without even discussing birth control or even having a STD conversation, you just jump on the bronco and ride not once but twice. Not even a rubber between the two of ya. Charlotte did you not remember what happened the last time you did that?? Evidently not. WOW Kids do not try this at home!
Naksed
Blech. This has all the cliches that have me rolling my eyes (and NOT in ecstasy) in the romance genre, and on top of it, it is set at a dizzying pace. I am not above enjoying a hokey soap opera or too, with all the secret love children, traitorous bodies, and bodice-ripper tropes that go along with it, but at least give me some character development to allow me to get into the story and care about this couple. But no sooner do Charlotte and Dane lay eyes on each other after ten years of him F_i ...more
Auntee
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of erotic quickies
Too short! Too short! (63 pages) Plenty of potential, some really hot scenes, but could have used some more character development. If you really want to read how good it can be when Liliana Hart develops her story and characters, read Cade: A MacKenzie Novel. 3 1/2 stars.
Amber Rose
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, erotica
Super HOT

I quite enjoyed this short story. I want MORE . But it was too short. There really isn't a plot just alot of hot sex and promises. Looking forward to the rest of the brothers in the series.
Jen
Jul 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
This was a very good short story. IT is an erotic romance with a nice storyline thrown in with it.

Dane is one of the four Mackenzie brothers and he has just come back to his hometown after being gone ten years. He has a history with a girl name Charlotte who he has never forgot while he was away. They reconnect when he returns and there is a "secret" she is hiding from him.
Considering how short the story was I thought the author did a wonderful job with making the story have "hot sex" as well as
Dianne
Oct 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.25 stars. This book could have been one of the greats...if it wasn't so short. The story was literally meet, intimate moments, confrontation, more intimate moments lol. I wish we had gotten a full story because if feels too short. However, I really loved the premise behind the book. I just wish there was more :-/
Pam Godwin
This itty-bitty story, the first in the MacKenzie Brothers Quartet series, does exactly what it intends to do. It arouses and ravishes. But wait! There's more. If you buy now, you get a sweet little story to go along with the sex-ery. Seriously, this short story is a real pleasure and LH's writing is so crisp, she's won a new fan. I'll be reading more from this author.
Juls
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this story with Dane and Charlie. There wasnt any major drama that got drawn out.
I would have liked to see how Jayden reacted to Dane though.
Kelly
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this, but it is really, really short. It's a quick, hot read, but not a lot of character or storyline development obviously due to the length.
Rough Draft Book Blog
Dane by Lilana Hart

Dane and Charlotte

HOT, LOVING, AND FAST!!!

Ok... for starters, those of you that gave this a bad review because it was "too short," pull your heads out of your %$!@#%'s... The first sentence of the synopsis says it's a Novella... don't know what it means??? look it up doofis people!!! Here it is: Short Novel: a fictional prose work that is longer than a short story but shorter than a novel... While it was short (a.k.a. novella) I found it full of wonderful, exciting stuff!!! If
Diana
Nov 04, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nook-books
Natalie
Jul 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Dane left from his home 10 years ago.Along with leaving his brothers in order to make something of himself,he left his girlfriend(and his one love) Charlie.When he returns back,he doesn't expect to find Charlie after having been told she left 10 years ago too.When these two see each other,memories come back and they are reminded as to why they loved each other so much.When a HUGE secret is revealed,everyone's lives change and Charlie is left with a decision to make.But can she really let this m
Антоанета
Хм, поредната бутафория тип "от вратата за краката"!
D.G.
Lately I've been in the mood to read short, hot stories so that's the only reason I downloaded this freebie.

All I can say is that the sex was hot. There was an attempt to create a story with a secret baby plot - which was dreadful - but there was no way you could really believe this two people were still in love with such flimsy evidence. It would have been better if it had been left at 'we'll continue to have sex and see how it goes' instead of trying to tie everything with a bow.

So if you are
Jae
I got this as a freebie from Amazon, thank goodness I didn't purchase it. The story was very trite about Dane who came back to his hometown after ten years and surprised to found out that he has indeed fathered a child with his longtime girlfriend, Charlotte. So he tried to convince her to give them a chance on being a family.

My say is -been there, seen it, done it and had a Hot cover to prove it. I am not very impressed with the story. Apart from the Hot cover there really was nothing special a
Nickcole
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stars: 4

Overall: Way to short! I really loved the story, but i just wish that there was more to it. I wanted to see Dane and his son have their reunion or maybe see Charlie really make Dane work for it. I felt that she let him off way to easy and into her pants even quicker. I just hoping that in future books, we get a chance to hear more about this couple.

Characters: Dane & Charlotte

Page Turner: yes, but it wasn't long enough

Series Cont: Yes

Recommend: Yes
Carolyn F.
Short story. 24 pages.

10 years ago Dane left Charlotte to start a life without her, the only problem is she was pregnant. Now he wants back in her life and to get to know the son he didn't know he had. A little too sugary sweet for me and things speed along super fast. But then it is a short story so the author has to jam in a lot. Maybe if the story were longer, I would have liked it more.
Holly
This had potential. Unfortunately it didn't deliver. Both characters acted immature and it feature a secret baby plot. I don't mind those as long as they're done well, but her reasons for keeping the baby from him were selfish. Plus, the baby in question is 10 now.

I liked her writing, however, so I may try another book in the series.
★Ruth★
I have to say I really enjoyed this and will definitely continue this series.

Though it was very short I got a good feel for the characters and the love scenes were pretty hot.

This, IMO, is what a novella should be, a teaser of things and characters to come and a chance for the author to show us what they are capable of & what we can expect from them if we decide to read more by them.
Lexxie (un)Conventional Bookviews
Dane is a very hot story indeed. A little short, and with some inconsistencies, but a good story overall anyway.

This and all my other reviews are originally posted on my blog (un)Conventional Bookviews
Lyndi loathes love triangles
Completely pointless. Basically it's just an overly long sex scene. I kinda despised both characters - Dane for being a selfish idiot and Charlotte for being an even bigger idiot.
Chrisabel
Mar 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, freebies, nook
Oh my goodness oh my goodness.... Too Short. I wanted to read more about these characters. Gonna have to read the next one. This book felt like it ended mid book...
  • A Little Harmless Surprise (Harmless, #3.5)
  • The Awakening (The Marriage Diaries, #1)
  • Help Wanted (Fantasy Heights, #1)
  • Beautiful Mess (Bailey's Boys, #1)
  • Roped (Purgatory Club, #1)
  • The Navy SEAL's Promise
  • Exotic Indulgence (Bandicoot Cove)
  • Harm's Hunger (Bad in Boots, #1)
  • Bet On Love
  • Stolen (The Madame X School of Sex, #0.5)
  • Shelter from the Storm
  • Destiny by Design
  • Being Delightful
  • Enemies and Playmates
  • Copping Attitude
  • Chocolate Kisses
  • The Boat Builder's Bed (Wicked in Wellington, #1)
  • Safe With Me (Safe with Me, #1)
Liliana Hart spent five years teaching music in the public education system. She molded America’s youth, busted kids for smoking pot in the restrooms, and broke up illicit affairs behind the stage on a regular basis. (Liliana’s Addison Holmes Mystery Series, about a small town teacher who gets into a whole lot of trouble, is somewhat autobiographical, but she won’t confess to which parts).

Liliana
More about Liliana Hart

The MacKenzie Family (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Thomas (The MacKenzie Family, #2)
  • Riley (The MacKenzie Family, #3)
  • Cooper (The MacKenzie Family, #4)
  • Cade (The MacKenzie Family, #5)
  • Shadows and Silk (The MacKenzie Family, #6)
  • Secrets and Satin (The MacKenzie Family, #7)
  • Sins and Scarlet Lace (The MacKenzie Family, #8)
  • Sizzle (The MacKenzie Family, #9)
  • Crave (The MacKenzie Family, #10)
  • Scorch (The MacKenzie Family, #11)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
    $14.99 $1.99
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Reed (Cold Fury Hockey, #10)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • Always
    $13.99 $2.99
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be
  • Love, Chloe
    $3.99 $1.99
“There were those who said Dane MacKenzie would never amount to anything. That he'd spend his life drifting aimlessly from one thing to the next, never to settle down or take on an ounce of responsibility. There” 0 likes
“I'm sorry about your dad. He was a good man." He adjusted his position again so she was neatly blocked against the wall.” 0 likes