Start by marking “Holding Out For a Hero” as Want to Read:
Holding Out For a Hero

Holding Out For a Hero

3.26  ·  Rating details ·  684 Ratings  ·  83 Reviews
Kelsie Newman meets the man of her dreams at the beginning of a really, really bad day, so excuse her for not recognizing him. Good thing she's a smart girl and a quick learner. When he rescues her from her Good Samaritan act gone bad later that same day, she doesn't make the same mistake twice.
Nook, 34 pages
Published June 29th 2011 by Stacey Joy Netzel, via Smashwords (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Holding Out For a Hero, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holding Out For a Hero

Dianne
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very short, very romantic, a little dreamy and even sprinkled with humor, Holding Out For a Hero by Stacey Joy Netzel follows a very bad day for Kelsie and the most wonderful dream hero ever who keeps popping up in her life just when she needs him. All of her outward skepticism hides an inner romantic who finds her knight in shining armor. Will she end up like a fairytale princess?

Stacey Joy Netzel has written a dreamy romantic tale that leaves room for daydreaming after about HEAs. Ms. Netzel f
Loraine
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
I think this could have been the basis for a really great novella or book, but as a short story, I felt like it was a writing exercise for a junior high or high school English class. Cute, short, romance that took me about 10 minutes to read. The author had some gems that could have really made this a great book so I think she has potential as a writer. Thank goodness it was a kindle freebie.
Booklover
This was a sweet short read. Unlike many short stories these days, this actually had a fully contained plot, and a fair amount of character development. I did wish it were longer, but only because I enjoyed it. I will definitely be seeking out more from this author!
Kathie (katmom)
This was a cute little fic. Took about 10 minutes to read...HALF of the file was the story, the other half was a long commercial for her other books.

John
Jul 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Ms. Netzel has a beautiful way of telling a story. I'm enjoying reading each one of her books!!!
Rauna Pennington
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Cute! Well written. :)
Betty
Mar 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Cute, well written very short romantic story.
Kristina
Dec 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Humorous, light read...

This one makes you look for what's good in your day rather than the little disasters that sometimes overwhelm us.
Brittany Goodman
Very cute

I loved the voice the narrator used! She was relatable and funny. Very charming. The story is very short but complete and very clean. I really enjoyed it!
Elisa
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2013
Kimberly Mauldin
Jun 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: no one
A light and feel good story, that is not all that it needs to be. Kelsie is seeing the world through rose-colored glasses and wants for herself a yesteryear hero in which only truly comes about in legends. When she finally realizes that she is needing to wake up to reality and get to know the man as himself and not some dreamy character, she almost misses out and you can't help but smile as she finally gets it. This is an excellent, quick read for when you are wanting something charming and cute ...more
Tasha
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was searching books by a great author (Stacey Joy Netzel) on Smashwords.com where you can sometimes find free books by great authors. As I was searching for a book I had on my To-Read list I found this story instead of finding the story I was searching for. I scrolled past it and thought nothing of it, as I scrolled back to the top I saw where it said FREE. Free always catches my eyes but then I looked at the cover of the book and it seemed so.... Free, loving, calm, You can enter whatever wor ...more
Hazel
Apr 01, 2013 rated it did not like it
I was intrigued by the description and was expecting an easy light read. Unfortunately, it was one cliche after another and I was having a hard time liking the main character because of the poor writing. It was labeled as a short story but, in my opinion, it wasn't even long enough to be called a short story. Perhaps if the author had spent more time with it and developed the storyline and character with good solid prose, it would not have felt so rushed and relied so heavily on cliches. It took ...more
Katie
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holding Out for a Hero was a very sweet, cute short story that was easily read in one sitting. The writing style the author uses was light and witty, making this a very fun read.

I love how the author, in just a few pages, conveyed the importance of always noticing the small heroics in our life, and not just the big ones. Very good lesson!

There were three bad words that I noticed--cr*p, h*ll, and OMG. But besides that, the book was sweet and fun from cover to cover.
Martha
Apr 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
I have read several Kindle Fire free books (because they are free)and am only writing this one review. There is a reason that they are free if they have been written in the past 100 years. They are not very good. Now the old classics are still great but this, not so much. The premise of the story could be interesting but is very short and not developed. Not well written or developed. It is like a rough draft of the idea of a story.
Angel **Book Junkie**
I think the problem with many short stories is that they lack substance. While it appears that many authors are trying to just get a book on the shelf quick they forget that the reader is okay with the story being longer as long as it contains substance. I thought the concept of this story was good but, when you cannot connect with the main character at all things tend to turn where you cannot even like the book. The book was too short to hold my attention.
elaine m. suda
Bad/Good Day

I guess most of us have days when we have a black cloud overhead, but there is also the kind person who holds the door for you, the co-worker who pays you a compliment or a driver who stops and changes your flat tire. I enjoyed the book even though it was very short.

SydneyGen
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I think we can all say we’ve been in Kelsie’s shoes, and had ‘one of those days’ when NOTHING goes right (in fact, I’m pretty sure I had one, yesterday!). This is a super short story, and a great read for in between longer reads. I enjoyed the heroine of the story ‘holding out for a hero’, and subsequently realising, we can all be heroes in our own ways, every day.
Melissa O'Connor
A true delight to read!

What a wonderful short story! I kept wishing the book were either longer or had a movie coming out soon. The author is a gifted writer, putting together some fun and clean romance in a story that has a really good moral to it. Ms. Netzel bring out more of these!!
Diana
Mar 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ebooks-i-have
It was okay, but I didn't enjoy it. That was just like an introduction of the story. It needs more. It needs a story. I would of liked it much better if it was longer, like an actual 200 paged story. I want to know how it ends with Kelsi and Roberts. I want to know how it ends. Where it ended was really just the beginning.
Shelley
Good read

I don't read anything but historical books but as books go this was a good read. It's true that people treat the less fortunate poorly. And will turn a blind eye to wrong doings. It is sad what our world has come to.
Allison
Apr 26, 2013 rated it liked it
It was okay but very implausible. The guy almost seems like a stalker how he keeps showing up with no explanation. Kelsey's perspective change also seems unrealistic with the type of day she's having.
Linda Bourg
Nov 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Loved this short story i sure wish it would of been longer. I had a little humor in it and made me laugh out load a few times. She had the same kind of bad day i have most of the time but hell it never ends with a handsome hero/prince charming for me.lol
Chels Patterson
Oct 03, 2011 rated it did not like it
Awful!!! Too predictable too short too much modern syntax and idioms! Worst is has nothing about this guy, who is meant to be a prince charming... It seems like it was a writing exercise with out direction. Need more.
Maggie
Jan 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, ipad
Good. Really good. I was way surprised at how good Holding Out For a Hero was. Sweet, funny, free, short, and it had a great message in it! What more could you want? Well, it would have been amazing if it was longer but whatever.
Eileen Carter
Bad day can become great day

What to do when everything seems too be going wrong for you. keep your head up and keep doing the right thing.take notice of the little things in life, look for the positive, that is what this story is all about.
Cheryl Mclaws
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
VERY short story, but it was cute. My only complaint was it ended just as it was getting good!! I want to know what happens next!
Tara
Oct 03, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a short read, but fun!
Lisa Marie
Mar 25, 2013 rated it liked it
It's so short! Just when I thought this is gonna be such a.great story.it ends right there. In reality this is a give page book :-(
Lani Ayers
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
It was cute but too short!!
  • Holiday Rush
  • Letter of Love
  • Love from the Ashes
  • A Chance In Time (Native American Romance, #0.5)
  • Touched By Angels (Touched By Angels, #1)
  • Second-Hand Princess
  • When the Heart Falls
  • The Reiver
  • Heart of Gold
  • The Hand of Fate (a Jukebox Heroes novella)
  • Hawks Mountain
  • Searching For Meredith Love
  • Cry Uncle
  • Bridge to Happiness
  • Reaching the Edge (Edge, #2.5)
  • My Christmas Angels
  • The Man of Their Lives
  • Vanquished (The Roxbury Trilogy, #1)
Wisconsin native Stacey Joy Netzel fell in love with books at a young age, so for her the graduation to writing them was natural. A member of Romance Writers of America (RWA) and Wisconsin Romance Writers (WisRWA), she credits her parents for encouraging her dreams of becoming a published author, as well as the very talented friends she’s made in WisRWA since joining in 2004. Her Christmas antholo ...more
More about Stacey Joy Netzel

Romance Deals

• Hidden Secrets
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Kian (Undercover Billionaire, #1)
  • Greensleeves
    $3.99 $1.99
  • From Thin Air (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Caroline (Lowcountry Romance #1)
  • All the Breaking Waves
    $4.99 $1.99
  • To Hope (The Broken Roads #5)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Bad (Bad Boy Royals #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Royally Ruined (Bad Boy Royals #2)
  • The Finishing Touches
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Accidentally in Love with...a God? (Accidentally Yours, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Splinter (Reliquary, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Claimed (Servants of Fate, #2)
  • Keeping You a Secret
  • The PMS Club
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gypsy (The Promised Land, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Bodyguard (Hollywood A-List, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Willow (The Promised Land #1)
  • Mosaic (Reliquary #3)
  • The Lullaby Sky
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Secretly Hers (Sterling Canyon, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tycoon Takedown (Lone Star Burn, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Come High Water (A Black Swan Historical Romance, #3)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Before I Knew (The Cabots, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Paradise of Glass (The Glassblower Trilogy #3)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Once Haunted, Twice Shy (Peyton Clark, #2)
  • The Story of Beautiful Girl
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
  • Say Goodbye for Now
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
  • Love Is
  • The Unimaginable
  • The Hating Game
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Unbeautifully (Undeniable, #2)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Augusta (The Promised Land, #5)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Twisted Truth (Rogue Justice #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Morning Glory (Drifters & Dreamers, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Worth the Wait (St. James, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Best Friend's Ex (Binghamton #2)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Charmingly Yours (Morning Glory, #1)
  • Sit! Stay! Speak!
  • In the Barren Ground
  • About the Night
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Violet's Wish (Oklahoma Land Rush, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Exploited (Zero Day, #1)
  • About That Fling
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence Book 2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken Home (Lone Star Burn, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hard to Handle (Caine Cousins, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Austen Escape
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Garnet (The Promised Land, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • From Wine to Water (Angels & Outlaws, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Worth the Risk (St. James #3)
  • The Dove
  • The Ladies' Room
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Accidentally Hers (Sterling Canyon, #1)
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Omega (Penton Legacy, #3)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Taking Charge (Lone Star Burn, #4)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Lies We Tell (Quarry Road, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seven Nights in a Rogue's Bed (Sons of Sin, #1)
  • The Ivy Tree
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Misadventures of the First Daughter (Misadventures, #3)
  • Daisies in the Canyon
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Only You (Sweet Torment, #2)
    $4.49 $0.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Claiming Alexis (Ace Security, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unlucky in Love (Lucky, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Secret (Mercy Kilpatrick, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Difference Between Us (Opposites Attract #2)
  • Bullets & Bonfires
  • White Lace and Promises
    $3.99 $0.99
  • To Commit (The Broken Roads #2)
  • The Yard Rose
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Taken, Not Spurred (Lone Star Burn, #1)
  • One Summer Day in Rome
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Sixth Grave on the Edge (Charley Davidson, #6)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Chasing Down a Dream: A Blessings Novel
  • The Pursuit of Love
    $11.99 $1.99
  • After the War Is Over: A Novel
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Mr. Right (Colorado Hearts #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Riding the Storm (ACRO, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • It Had to Be Him (It Had to Be #1)
  • The Love Goddess' Cooking School
    $10.99 $2.99
  • That Way Again
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Never Let Go (Haven, Montana #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • To Dream (The Broken Roads #4)
  • All the Way from Texas
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Ghouls Rush In (Peyton Clark, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Forever Surprised (Forever Bluegrass #6)
    $2.99 $1.49
  • To Trust (The Broken Roads #1)
  • A Falling Star
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Secret of Ella and Micha (The Secret, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Just Grace (Oklahoma Land Rush, #4)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
  • Nailed (Worked Up, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Montana Cherries (Montana Wildes, #1)
  • The Lake House
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Velvet (The Promised Land #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Fated (Servants of Fate, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Emma's Folly (Oklahoma Land Rush, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Redemption (The Love's Valley #4)
  • In the Cards
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Tilly (The Drifters & Dreamers #2)