Start by marking “Zeno And The Tortoise: How To Think Like A Philosopher” as Want to Read:
Zeno And The Tortoise: How To Think Like A Philosopher

Zeno And The Tortoise: How To Think Like A Philosopher

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  199 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Think of Zeno and the Tortoise as a toolbox for aspiring thinkers. Author Nicholas Fearn aims to leave readers with an array of handy instruments at their disposal, whether Ockham's razor, Hume's fork, or Nietzsche's hammer. "The object," he writes, "is to show not merely what the great philosophers thought, but to demonstrate how they thought." In addition to supplying re ...more
Published 2001 by Atlantic

To ask other readers questions about Zeno And The Tortoise, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zeno And The Tortoise

Jono Balliett
Sep 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great way to familiarize myself with some great philosophical minds. I love philosophy but I tend to gravitate toward the readers digest version of philosophers. Reading a philosopher's works can be incredibly rewarding but one can spend decades unraveling the thoughts and ideas of just one philosophers work. Instead, I read synopses of their work. This book covers: Thales, Protagoras, Zeno, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Lucretius, Ockham, Machiavelli, Bacon, Descartes, Hume, Reid, Rous ...more
TK Keanini
Apr 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
A very unfortunate title. The subtitle should have been: How to apply the patterns of great philosophers. I just can't believe that I would ever think like the great philosophers nor would I want to. I'm perfectly find thinking the way I think.

Now that I have that out of my system, the book is great. In 25 sections, the author takes each key contribution from some incredible philosopher. It could be called a philosophy field guide.
Rosemary Szczygiel
It's ok but I probably would not revisit it. Recommended from FSCJ Liberal Arts syllabus. Good for students.
Nathalie
Jan 10, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good refresher on philosophy and philosophers. Without fluff, each short digestible chapter outlines the essence of each philosopher's' argument, some thoughts about how to think of it using modern day examples and gives context for each philosopher's life. Especially appreciated the latter where I learned interesting thing about the person and the times. I had studied philosophy so while there is a lot to learn from the original works, namely the construction and thought process in creating an ...more
Kara Jacobs
Didn't finish this. Such a good concept, anecdotes about various great philosophers throughout the ages, what they had to say about the subject of death and (my favorite part, of course), the weird ways in which they actually died but ...I dunno, it started to grow dull in the middle of the middle of the Middle Ages, and it' another book I never finished.
Jw van Eck
A sequence of philosophers in historic order. Easy to read and understand. Not sure why some names have made it to the book (Lucretius, Machiavelli, Ryle) and why others (Spinoza, Leibnitz, Russel) are missing. But a nice read nonetheless.
Pamela
Jan 06, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Bought this book for my 15-yr-old son to introduce him to philosophy. Covers over 20 philosophers and their main ideas, including short biographies. Good introductory book into the origins and developments of some of the most important philosophical ideas throughout history.
Allen Martin
Part biography of many philosophers, part introduction to various thinking techniques, part summary of various types of philosophical thought. This book will probably encourage you to dig deeper into ideas that interest you. A buffet full of appetizers.
Tudor
Jun 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting concept, poorly carried out.
Ian
Jun 15, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember looking at this book, can't remember actually reading it. Possibly this is why I dont think like a philosopher
Laurent Franckx
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good intro to philosophy. Does require some active effort from the reader - as it should.
Vanlilith
  • The Science of Superheroes
  • Conditions of Love: The Philosophy of Intimacy
  • Affluenza: When Too Much is Never Enough
  • Managing the Unexpected: Resilient Performance in an Age of Uncertainty
  • A Small Treatise on the Great Virtues: The Uses of Philosophy in Everyday Life
  • The Heart of Things: Applying Philosophy to the 21st Century
  • The Unconscious Civilization
  • Contextual Design: Defining Customer-Centered Systems
  • A Student's Guide To History
  • The Empiricists: Locke: Concerning Human Understanding; Berkeley: Principles of Human Knowledge & 3 Dialogues; Hume: Concerning Human Understanding & Concerning Natural Religion
  • An Outline of Philosophy
  • En defensa de la intolerancia