Start by marking “Symphony of Secrets” as Want to Read:
Symphony of Secrets

Symphony of Secrets

3.52  ·  Rating details ·  90 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Talented flutist Amy Johnson's dreams come true when she wins a spot with the Minneapolis Symphony. But this amateur sleuth has trouble concentrating on the notes as she begins to see devious motives behind her fellow musicians' many mishaps.

Meanwhile, her musically talented teenage daughter wants to give it all up for - gasp - the cheerleading squad. What's a musical mom
Published February 1st 2008 by Bethany House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Symphony of Secrets, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Symphony of Secrets

Sarah Grace
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Ages 14+ for adult content
Recommended to Sarah Grace by: Victoria Lynn
SECOND REVIEW:

This was just as good the second time as it was the first time! Love love love this book! Definitely recommend it!

FIRST REVIEW:

OH. MY. GOODNESS. WOW. JUST. WOW.

I believe Sharon Hinck has taken the place as my new favorite author! She is amazing! I have read 5+ books by her, and I have loved every one of them! Symphony is Secrets was just amazing! The plot was very well done, with plenty of mystery. The characters were well rounded and realistic. I think Peter is my favorite. He was
Victoria Lynn
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-fiction
This book. I can't even. I loved it so much! Being a musician myself totally made everything for me. I mean, she even had musical definitions and tempo markings at the beginning of each chapter! The story was just plain sweet! Single mother, Amy is struggling to keep her life together and her lifelong dream of being in an orchestra just came true. Her daughter is growing up and experiencing growing pains. They are just super sweet and real together. Struggling, like any human being. Sharon Hinck ...more
Renee
Jun 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
On Monday, I uncovered a drug ring in South Minneapolis. On Tuesday, I spotted a felony theft at a country club in Edina. On Wednesday, I overheard plans for industrial espionage while staking out the back room of a workshop in St. Paul.

On Thursday, my daughter blew all my cases out of the water . . .

With these first lines from Symphony of Secrets, author Sharon Hinck ushers us into the slightly-zany mind of single mom and talented flutist, Amy Johnson. As a crime novel buff, Amy is always on th
Lindy
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, parenting
I love how the author writes a story that involves a touch of God but without beating the reader over the head with it. So many authors of christian fiction are rather heavy handed and come off as preachy and/or unrealistic, but I really appreciate Hinck's deft touch. I also appreciate the main character - flawed, yet human - caught up in an interesting career but also with actual dirty laundry and bake sales to deal with. A touch of humor, a touch of romance, and an overall lovely read.
Erin
Jun 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
I was first introduced to Sharon Hinck as an author through her "Sword of Lyric" trilogy, which I thought was absolutely amazing. In "Symphony of Secrets" Hinck shows off her versatility as a writer, switching from fantasy to a modern day tale of a professional flutist looking to finally break into the Minneapolis Symphony.

Amy Johnson is a single mother and a bit of an amateur sleuth, both of which often put her in uncomfortable situations. She'd much rather lose herself in practicing her music.
Laren
Oct 12, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
The plot summary on the book leads you to believe that this is a mystery. Indeed there is the mystery of who is sabotaging the concertmaster of the symphony our heroine has just joined. But the real story is one of a woman at a crossroad in her life. Amy has just landed her dream job of symphony musician after dropping out of Julliard to raise a daughter alone. Said daughter is now a teenager who just dropped out of music lessons to join the cheerleading squad, and is also asking questions about ...more
Ane Mulligan
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed every page of this book! Hinck employs wit and angst as you follow Amy, a musical geek trying to fulfill her dreams. She's a single mom whose mind revolves around her music and providing for her daughter, but forgets about things like laundry and meals. I hate to admit I could relate, but as a literary artist, I was right there with her.

When her daughter makes the cheerleading squad, Amy feels like a jazz solo without a rhythm. These super-moms are hip and with-it, crafty, slender and
Katherine
Nov 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humorous
I enjoyed listening to this book. Lots of information about professional musicians. I realized that it is probably a good thing that I didn't actually fulfill my 5th grade dream of being a concert pianist. I loved the definitions of musical terms at the beginning of each chapter that had something to do with the tone of that chapter.

I loved the flawed character Amy. Her daughter Clara was almost too good to be true. I wish we could have gotten more of a glimpse into Peter the conductor's though
Keris
Jan 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Sharon Hinck’s upcoming novel, Symphony of Secrets, takes a turn from any of her other writings. It’s filled with Hinck’s funny, charming writing style, but has a bit of mystery added in.

Symphony of Secrets is set in the Twin Cities of Minnesota (Minneapolis/St. Paul) and features quite a few references to places that locals will recognize. The novel centers around flutist Amy Johnson, a single mother who dreams of playing with the symphony. Currently a music teacher, Amy longs for the stage an
Patricia
Oct 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
On the one hand, I enjoyed the music references, even though I am not a musician (I am a piano lesson drop out). On the other hand, I disliked the main character. I kept trying to figure out whether that was because of the way she was written or the way the narrator read her (I listened to an audiobook). I think it was the first. I also figured out "whodunit" early on, so that was disappointing. I have mixed feelings about the "inspirational" part of the story--sometimes it seemed too much.
Ria
May 08, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Musical Mayhem

When brilliant flutist Amy Johnson, a single mom & professional musician with a serious Miss Marple complex & a secret that's isolated her who's hoping to land her dream job is pursued by G-d anything can happen and truly does!
The music saturates each page and leaps into your heart even as Amy's in your face obnoxiousness pierces through... Who knew being a mom is as funny as it is gut wrenching?
Kiersten
This was all right, but (especially compared to the Sword of Lyric trilogy, which was incredible) also pretty boring. and Amy's whole sleuthing fixation drove me nuts. Although i will say that i appreciated the focus on music throughout the book (i like how she mentally plays a scale instead of counting to ten when she gets angry). On the whole, however, this was something of a disappointment, for me.
Alison
Jul 15, 2008 rated it liked it
OK...so this book was probably a little cheesy and over the top...but it was a fun little mystery romance that had symphony in the title...so I had to read it. It is basically a "christian" romance novel where the main character is a little nutty...but that's only because she's a musician which explains her obsessive behaviors. Soooo, I don't know if others would like it or laugh as much at the musical puns...but it was a quick easy read.
Danni
Sep 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I never give a book 5 stars but this was amazing. I am a harpist and the main characters best friend plays the harp. It talks about phantom of the ppera. ( a major love of mine) It is a mystery which was great.
It even quoted my life mantra "IF" by rudyard Kipling. It had a lot of jokes in it that only make sense if you play music. It was absolutely perfect for my personality.
Margaret
Jul 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Listened to the audio, loved the information about the symphony, really enjoyed the reader who created the abrasive personality of Amy Johnson very well. Also liked the Christian element and the look at the music through a critical eye.
Nancy
Nov 07, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved Sharon's Restorer series. I've had Symphony of Secrets for awhile and finally got around to reading it. This was a delightful book. Anyone who loves music will enjoy the detail and the struggles the heroine had with being a part of an orchestra. I wish Sharon had a sequel to this one.
Jana
Mar 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent! Grabbed my attention from the first page.
Lucy (That Book Gal)
Jan 09, 2011
Mandy
Apr 28, 2011
« previous 1 3 next »

Sharon writes "stories for the hero in all of us" - uplifting and entertaining novels about ordinary people called to extraordinary challenges.

She's won several Carol awards for both contemporary Christian fiction and fantasy, and was a Christy finalist for The Restorer - a genre-blending adventure of a soccer-mom in an alternate world.

When she isn’t wrestling with words
More about Sharon Hinck...