Start by marking “Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow” as Want to Read:
Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  20,599 ratings  ·  2,016 reviews
"Blessed" or "cursed" with an ability to understand animals, the Lass (as she's known to her family) has always been an oddball. And when an isbjorn (polar bear) seeks her out, and promises that her family will become rich if only the Lass will accompany him to his castle, she doesn't hesitate. But the bear is not what he seems, nor is his castle, which is made of ice and ...more
Published January 8th 2008 by Bloomsbury USA Childrens (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow, please sign up.
Norman They and others like it, are all based off the same Norwegian fairy tale. It isn't plagiarism, the people who write some Celtic music (Celtic Woman…moreThey and others like it, are all based off the same Norwegian fairy tale. It isn't plagiarism, the people who write some Celtic music (Celtic Woman mainly, Gaelic Storm once or twice, etc.) they have different songs based off the same Irish ballad. Like Gypsy Davy, there are more versions by different artists then I know of. They take the story and twist it and make it their own.(less)
Ryu Squeaky clean, from what I remember. I read this when I was about 10 or 11. I think this book (as well as the other Jessica Day George books) is a…moreSqueaky clean, from what I remember. I read this when I was about 10 or 11. I think this book (as well as the other Jessica Day George books) is a great introduction to YA books.(less)

·  20,599 ratings  ·  2,016 reviews

Start your review of Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
*Buddy Read with my wonderful friends, Tammie and Laura 😊💕

This book was magical!!! It was even better than the book "East" me and my friends read!

I had this freaking paperback at one time but got rid of it when I was having a clean out, little did I know!! The paperback is now on my Amazon wishlist 🙄

So, she who shall not be named until the end of the book is a wonderful character. To make this short and to the point Im going to sum up a couple of favorite things.

She goes out to find the white
Betsy
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
As I see it, there are two different ways to adapt a fairy tale into a full-length novel. You can either reinterpret the entire shebang with a whole new spin on the formerly familiar (ala A Curse Dark as Gold or The Magic Circle) or you can take the essential parts of the original tale and just fill them out with some depth and padding (ala Beauty). Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow falls squarely into the latter category. Now if I was a fairy tale snob I might get all huffy that Jessica Day George's ...more
Gail Carriger
Nov 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, shifters, fantasy, reviewed
This is a retelling of a Nordic fairy tale set in an atmospheric Viking world that follows a girl who can speak to animals and a bear who is a prince. If you liked Uprooted, this is a wonderful lyrical tale in a similar vein.
In the old Norse landslong after the Viking raiders but long before the Industrial Agethere lived a poor farm family with nine children. Our heroine is the youngest of the nine, so little valued that her mother didnt bother to name her or have her christened.

The lass with no nameindeed, she is referred to as simply the lass for the vast majority of the bookis largely ignored, except by her well-meaning, rather ineffective father (who never stands up to his cruel, childish wife) and her eldest
C. L.
If I read one more young adult novel that features the hero physically overriding the heroine's will, I will set something on fire.

(view spoiler)
mina
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2019
↠3-

I really dont know how I get this bad luck. Beauty and the Beast is my least favorite story and this is my third and a half (read two short stories) read of a retelling... this year. Besides Beauty and the Beast vibes (which would be weird if it wouldnt have those vibes) there was also a Cupid & Psyche vibe (view spoiler).

The writing is simple and easy to follow, although the main character is a young adult it
enqi ☁️✨
Long ago and far away in the land of ice and snow, there came a time when it seemed that winter would never end. The months when summer should have given the land respite were cold and damp, and the winter months were snow filled and colder still. The people said the cold had lasted a hundred years, and feared that it would last a hundred more. It was not a natural winter, and no one knew what witch or troll had caused the winds to howl so fiercely.

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow is a classic
Ash
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-kindle-read
first read: May 2013
first reread: September 18 - 23 , 2016

I still really liked this book, though, being 27, I would say its a bit young for my liking.....buuuuuuuuuuut because of my love for the movie "The Polar Bear King", I can't help but want to read it over and over.
TL
Feb 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone who loves a fairytale
"It is a fine thing, to set your sights on crystal towers and golden thrones," Hans Peter said quietly. "But first you had better see what lurks within those towers, and what sits on those thrones. Every palace needs a foundation, Askeladden. Make sure that yours isn't of human bones. "

The lass didn't ask about his dire statement. She felt strange too. It wouldn't be just like old times. Her father was injured, perhaps dying. She knew some of Hans Peter's secrets, and the family's fortunes had
Jacob Proffitt
This review has been hard for me to write because the author, Jessica Day George, is a friendand not in some squishy, internet way, either, but in a book group, get-together-every-month kind of way. You wouldn't think that'd make this hard considering that I enjoyed the book immenselyand despite several strikes against it from a personal taste perspective, too!

The novel has a fairy-tale feel, though in a solidly Norsk setting (I don't know how better to name itit's northern with all the ice and
Angie
Feb 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: retellings, ya
In the fairy tale mood, I was looking for something to follow up Master of Shadows. Jessica Day George's Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow looked like just the ticket. A retelling of the East of the Sun, West of the Moon fairy tale, I was both excited and nervous. For various reasons I have a hard time getting into retellings of this fairy tale and, though I did enjoy Edith Pattou's East, I've been hoping ever since to find a version I liked better. And I found one. I first loved the cover. I like the ...more
Tammie
Blessed-or cursed-with an ability to understand animals, the Lass (as she's known to her family) has always been an oddball. And when an isbjorn (polar bear) seeks her out, and promises that her family will become rich if only the Lass will accompany him to his castle, she doesn't hesitate. But the bear is not what he seems, nor is his castle, which is made of ice and inhabited by a silent staff of servants.

This is the third version I've read of the fairy tale East of the Sun, West of the
Arielle Walker
I couldn't help but love this. East of the Sun, West of the Moon has long been my favourite fairytale, and there are myriads of re-tellings that never quite do it justice. A Court of Thorns and Roses is probably the most recent, and unfortunately the series only became incredibly good once the fairytale aspects had already been dealt with.

This re-telling kept everything good - the brave heroine, the trolls, the candle, the carefully crafted ending - and simply made sense of it all. The love
Julie
Jun 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
The ability to tell a story with characters who have warmth, humor, and humanity to them is my greatest reason for loving Jessica Day George's work. Sun and Moon is a fabulous retelling of the fairytale: East of the Sun West of the Moon. The Nameless ninth daughter of a poor woodcutter saves a white deer and is given the gift of speaking to animals which leads her on an adventure where she's stuck living with a polar bear for a year and a day so her family can have wealth. Loved the book, love ...more
jesse
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
1.5/5

this version of east of the sun & west of the moon was a pleasant read.

pika, lass or whatever you might call her, lacked substance, meaning she wasn't a fleshed out character. all of jessica day george's books seem to have this particular problem. the author draws a strict line between evil vs. good, so the reader makes no mistake as to categorize who's the hero and who's the villain. which is a shame.

there is more than just one side to a person than that! i'm disappointed once again
Anne Osterlund
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
The lass has no name.
But she has a gift. The ability to speak to animals.
And the inability to give up.

When the white bear arrives on her doorstep, promising her family wealth if she will live with him for a year, the lass says, Yes.

A promise that will take her west of the moon and east of the sun.

A fairy tale with echoes of Beauty and the Beast and Rose Red and Snow White. I particularly liked the Norwegian setting. From the lefsa to the white reindeer.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Middle-school level retelling of the fairy tale East of the Sun, West of the Moon. I think I would have liked this much better when I was 13. For older readers who like fairy tale novelizations, Edith Pattou's East is a more complex retelling of this particular story.
WhatIReallyRead (Anna)
When I picked up Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow, I was unaware it was a retelling of the same fairytale as East by Edith Pattou was. So for a while, I was simply dumbstruck at how similar, or more like, absolutely the same they were. Even though I read East years and years ago and didn't realize I even remembered it all that well.

It was an okay read, overall pretty good, if a little simplistic. It didn't grab my attention in a special way or inspire any particular feelings. I guess I would have
Talltree
Dec 04, 2016 rated it liked it
3.5 stars!
Lara Mi

Never look back, never forget.

When a great polar bear offers her family fortune in exchange for her living with him for a year, the lass, who had never been given a name, agrees. Not only is the polar bear and his palace of ice more than what they seem, they also hold secrets over the curse that has been laid on the lass oldest brother. In order to save her brother, friends and the great polar bear, the lass must now solve the riddles of the ice palace and travel east of the sun and west of
Misty
The lass leads a lonely life. She lives in a remote little Norwegian village that is blanketed by a strange, never-ending winter. Her mother refused to name her, and she is largely disregarded by all but her father and her beloved eldest brother, Hans Peter, who seems to the lass to be hiding a deep pain. But when the lass is blessed with the strange ability to be able to speak to animals, her life begins to change. People of all kinds seek her out for help -- and then, so does an isbjorn, a ...more
Shadowshock
Mar 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Gunjan (NerdyBirdie)
Jul 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was another light and quick read! Definitely something I needed after some books that Ive read this month.

This book has enchantments! Trolls! Talking animals! Talking winds! More talking animals! And the writing style was great! Personally, I think if I were to ever reread this book again, Id listen to it on audiobook because the author does such a great job of writing this is a fairytale tone. I really like her writing style.

Also, best acknowledgments that Ive read in a while:
This book
Sara Saif
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I'm torn. I seriously cannot decide which of the three retellings of East of the Sun West of the Moon was the best. All three had unique bits and pieces and details which set them apart and all three were written beautifully. This one had an old setting like East and a similarly enchanting prose. The female main character was a gutsy lass who raced against the odds and ice to rescue her white bear. She was a touch more curious than her other versions though.

I loved that there were all manner of
Hazel West
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Thoughts on the Overall Book: I've never not liked one of Jessica Day Geroge's books and this one has turned into a new favorite. It was just lovely in every way her stories usually are and was a very enjoyable read.

Cover--Yea or Nay: I do like the cover, it's not bad, but it's not super interesting either nor does it look like the girl. I think it should have the ice palace instead.

Characters: The Lass, as she is named (or not named really) is a lovely character, and very typical to Jessica's
Koala
Apr 22, 2013 rated it did not like it
Having read a similar story before, I could roughly guess what the story was about but I was curious as to how this one would be different. And it was indeed different.

The story, for me, was very slow-paced and nothing much ever happened. After the first few days "the lass" spent wandering around the palace, it gets pretty repetitive. She gets curious, she asks one of the servants, they die. You would think that at some point she would realize that she should STOP asking or find other ways to
Sierra Abrams
This story is about a girl, the youngest in a family of twelve children, a girl with no name. The lass, she is called by her older brother, Hans-Peter. They live in a fantasy version of Nothern Europe, where snow is always falling and the families are always cold. After being effected by the enchantment of a White Reindeer, the lass finds she can talk to animals And when she has a sudden encounter with a magical bear, called an isbjorn (which literally means ice bear), the lass heads off on a ...more
Selena
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Fairy Tales, especially Beauty and the Beast
First of all, let me say that I am a sucker for fairy tales. Retellings, stories that are fairy-tale-esque, whatever. I've read a lot of retellings, both for fairy tales I've read and ones I haven't.

This retelling was very well done. It kept the fairy tale feel while still feeling like a fleshed out novel. The characters were well-put together well enough, the story fit the chapter-book format without feeling like it was a stretched-out version of something else.

My only complaint is that we
Thomas
Jun 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
I gave this book five stars after reading it a couple of years ago, but now I'm moving it down to four. I don't think it was as great as the other books I've given five stars, why is why I'm lowering its rating.

Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow is a retelling of the Norwegian fairytale East of the Sun, West of the Moon. I had never been exposed to the story before, so I can't really compare the two - however, I did thoroughly enjoy this book. Jessica Day George keeps the plot moving without sacrificing
In a fairy tale mood as of late. Sun and Moon, Ice and Snow suited that mood wonderfully.

I'm by no means a fairy tale aficionado, I'm not sure how closely this follows the age old Norwegian tale. I just know that I fell for the characters, for the story that Jessica Day George unfolds within these pages.

Pika/Lass is everything I like in my fairy tale heroines: Kind, merciful, strong, brave and selfless. Jessica Day George's language is enchanting, lulling with a glorious lullaby effect. All

• Ice
  • The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1)
  • A Curse Dark as Gold
  • Violet Eyes:  A Retelling of The Princess and the Pea
  • Once Upon a Marigold (Upon a Marigold, #1)
  • East (East, #1)
  • Fairest
  • Bella at Midnight
  • Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast
  • Princess Ben
  • The Amaranth Enchantment
  • Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4)
  • The Princess and the Hound
  • The Swan Kingdom
  • Before Midnight - A Retelling of Cinderella
  • Book of a Thousand Days
  • The Thirteenth Princess
  • Crown Duel (Crown & Court #1-2)
Jessica Day George likes chocolate, knitting, books, travel, movies, dragons, horses, dogs, and her family. These are all things to keep in mind if you ever meet her. For instance, you could bring her chocolate to make the meeting go more smoothly. You could also talk about how adorable her children are, even if you have never seen them. You could discuss dog breeds (she had a Maltese named ...more

News & Interviews

“Love you always, miss you always... running day and night, leaving the place of sun and moon, of ice and snow.

Never look back, never forget.”
52 likes
“And the prince who had once been a bear pulled close the girl who had once had no name, and kissed her.” 34 likes