Start by marking “The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)” as Want to Read:
The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower, #4.5)

The Wind Through the Keyhole (The Dark Tower #4.5)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  52,900 Ratings  ·  4,542 Reviews
Grca badge winner
Stephen King returns to the rich landscape of Mid-World, the spectacular territory of the Dark Tower fantasy saga that stands as his most beguiling achievement.

Roland Deschain and his ka-tetJake, Susannah, Eddie, and Oy, the billy-bumbler—encounter a ferocious storm just after crossing the River Whye on their way to the Outer Baronies. As they shelter from the howling ga
Hardcover, US / Canada, 309 pages
Published April 2012 by Scribner (first published February 21st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about The Wind Through the Keyhole, please sign up.
Eileen I read it after the core DT series, after a few months. I highly recommend the same as it provides a bit of nostalgia value. I think reading it…moreI read it after the core DT series, after a few months. I highly recommend the same as it provides a bit of nostalgia value. I think reading it between books 4 and 5 will chop up the story a bit too much -- a lot of action happens during that time and you don't want to get derailed.(less)
Nick Lugo My suggestion is absolutely stick with the original order and then read this between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. It starts up just after…moreMy suggestion is absolutely stick with the original order and then read this between Wizard and Glass and Wolves of the Calla. It starts up just after Glass and ruins parts of both The Waste Land and Wizard and Glass (major enough parts that i would avoid this at all costs)

My suggestion for my friends has been read 1-4, then Wind, then 5-7, then read the graphic novels and the short story Little Sisters of Eluria. You could read the first few Graphic Novels after Wizard and before Calla, because the first (5 I think) couple are really all about Roland's past.

Also, if you wanna get crazy with it, you should read Insomnia, Salem's Lot, The Stand, The Talisman, Black House, Eye of the Dragon, Hearts in Atlantis, Rose Madder, and From a Buick 8- all of which have some bearing on the quest for the tower.(less)

Mark Lawrence
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The headline here is that I almost never read a book in 3 days - but I did this one and I was up past my bedtime turning pages.

Stephen King has written this series across the whole span of his adult life & both the character and quality of the series change across the decades (and also between front and back cover). For me Dark Tower as a whole is often spectacular, sometimes a bit weak, but mostly very good.

The Wind Through The Keyhole (TWTTK) is set just after my favourite of the series '
Kemper
Shenanigans! I cry shenanigans on Stephen King!

King put me through years of mental torture with The Dark Tower series, but I was able to forgive once he finally delivered a fitting ending to that saga. So I had a lot of concerns about him returning to the story of Roland. I worried that King had come down with a vicious case of Lucasitis that was going to have him tinkering with this story repeatedly.

However, King’s public statements indicated that it would not change the core Dark Tower story
Delee
Prologue:

No one said that the path to the beam, on the way to the Dark Tower was going to be this hard... I was promised rainbows and unicorns, from my fearless leader- Stepheny.... She CAN be kind of a liaaaaaaaaaar- and she is sort of insaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaane- so I should have known this wasn't going to be easy.

...but sweet 8 pound 6 ounce baby Jesus- I had nooooooo forewarning that one of my beloved Ka-tet was going to fight tooth and nail..not to read 4.5. Getting everyone on board for this on
Dan Schwent
Mar 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
While taking shelter from a storm along the Path of the Beam, Roland tells his ka-tet a story from his youth, about going up against a skin-man with Jamie DeCurry, in which he tells a frightened youth yet another story to bolster his courage...

First off, it pains me to give a Dark Tower book less than four stars but I thought this one was on par with Wizard and Glass.

The Wind Through the Keyhole is really three tales nested within one another. One features our beloved ka-tet, somewhere between t
seak
Jan 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Dark Tower lovers and lovers of a well-written tale.
Shelves: 2012, stephen-king
Welcome to flashback town, population - Wizard and Glass and The Wind Through the Keyhole.

(It's a terrible ride btw, unless you enjoy your head getting bashed over and over again.)

Wizard and Glass may have the record for length of flashback, but Wind Through the Keyhole goes Inception* on that flashback with a flashback** within a flashback.

*It's still accepted to reference Inception right?

**Okay, really it's a story within a flashback, but the story is a flashback to an even younger Roland te
Evgeny
Oct 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Roland
Man with No Name
and his sidekicks (called ka-tet) were minding their own business and kept going towards the Dark Tower when suddenly they had to interrupt their journey in a hurry, find some shelter and stay put for several days. Roland tells a story from his younger days to kill time (Skin Man). In that story he in turn had to kill some time and recounted another - this time fictional - story named The Wind Through the Keyhole. Confused yet? I hope the following picture helps.
Russian nesting doll

So there is a story inside
Jeff
Oct 21, 2015 rated it liked it
This is the chilling prequel to my review of Wizard and Glass.

Inside the adobe the temperature dropped noticeably. If it weren’t for the fire in the hearth the ka-tet would have been shivering uncontrollably.

Outside the winds from the starkblast reverberated off the dwelling like the screams of a banshee in heat. The crack of exploding trees sounded like water balloons bursting against concrete.

The tall blonde turned to the strapping man, a Cheshire smile painted on her face, “You know, I have a
Ɗắɳ  2.☊
★★★★☆

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times…it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.”

Whoops! Wrong quote there, but it seems somewhat appropriate for such a polarizing little book. I’m truly shocked at how varied the ratings are on this one, even amongst friends whose opinions I trust. I typically avoid all the .5 stories, since they’re usually just pointless filler, and seeing some of those one star ratings out there was not especially encouraging. Our fearless
Andre Gonzalez
The writing was stellar in this book, telling a story within a story has to be pretty difficult. While the story was entertaining, I'm having trouble seeing why it was necessary. I'm reading the DT series through for the first time and thought I would respect the order where this book fell, and feel like I could have done without this pitstop that takes away from the main journey. That being said, I look forward to starting Wolves of the Calla to get back on track!
Mark
Mar 22, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fiction
The Wind Through the Keyhole so named after the book that Roland's mother used to read him as a child. Considered 4.5 in the dark Tower series, it is the closest of all to a stand alone novel.

Not written as tightly as the rest of the series, in some aspects, it is a mere afterthought to fill a void between chapters 4 and 5. Nearly the whole book is the story of Tim, another youngster from years gone by and his treacherous journey, not unlike Roland's story of his own teenage travels in the previ
Christina
May 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OK ... This book has nowhere near come out. SO HOW IN THE HELL CAN PEOPLE RATE IT ALREADY? I'm giving it five stars just to counteract the negativity.
Stepheny
*My shiny new updated review for my re-read*

As I look back on our long and treacherous journey I am not shocked to see that there have been some casualties. I wish I could say I was, but the Quest for the Dark Tower has claimed many of lives. Aye, so it has. We lost one to demon sex, one to Japanese comics, one who ran so far ahead of us without looking back and one just kind of backed slowly away… ( I get that last one a lot…I can’t imagine why!) But as we have lost some, we have also gained so
Trudi

Sigh. Well, it's finished. I will now try and express some of my deep disappointments here even though it will hurt me to do so. Kemper's review captures much of what frustrated me and left me feeling cheated by the whole affair. To be promised another Dark Tower installment and offered this underwhelming book in its place, so loosely tethered to the source material as to feel as if someone else wrote it, a comical pastiche in parts that tries too hard to be Dark Tower worthy -- well, it just le
Ashley Daviau
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think this is honestly my least favourite book out of the Dark Tower series. Now that doesn't mean that I didn't love it, I just didn't love it quite as much as the rest of the series.

I find in some places that it gets a bit long and my mind constantly wandered and wondered what would happen in the next book rather than focusing on this book and what it had to offer.

I feel like I'm making it sound like a terrible book and that's definitely not the case, I mean I did give it five stars! I jus
Kevin Michael
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was good to be back in Midworld, if only for a short visit. This book is three stories in one, and those looking for an expansion of the quest for the Tower will be disappointed. Only the frame story contains Roland and his ka-tet from our world. Roland tells Jake, Eddie, and Susannah a tale from his days as a young gunslinger, but even that story is just another frame for the true story: The Wind Through the Keyhole, a fairytale Roland's mother told him when he was a young boy. The fairytale ...more
Chris
....

Uummmmm. What do I say? For as long as I've been on GR, I've seen the debate on the Dark Tower. Which story era is more enjoyable? The "present day (sorta)" ka-tet of Roland, Susannah, Eddie, Jake, and Oy. Or the "Young Roland" era when he ran with Alain, Cuthbert, and Jamie?

So as I'm about to start this book, I find out that many of the "present day" crews are disappointed because we get a little time with the ka-tet, only to have the story shift back in time with Roland telling another sto
Mitchel Broussard
As a bridge between Wizard and Glass & Wolves of the Calla, this book couldn't be more perfect. It draws on the dark, down-to-earth nostalgia of growing up in a harsh, mean world that Wizard did beautifully, but it also introduces the bat-shit crazy, heady material of alternate dimensions and dense mythos that Wolves began introducing in its later pages. So it may not move the overall plot forward, but it's not supposed to. That plot already ended eight years ago. This is a bridge book. A bo ...more
Becky
3.5 Stars
Believe it or not, there was a time when I hadn't read the Dark Tower series... but we don't talk about that. It's a painful time in my history, and polite company lets me keep my shame to myself. But I mention it because since stepping foot into the Tower multiverse, everything changed. I thought I was a Stephen King fan until I read the Dark Tower series, but I had no idea how much I could love King and his books. I adore this series. No other series or book can claim a higher spot i
Kyriakos Sorokkou
Jun 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
DTProject2017 | Book 4.5

Many people didn't like this book mainly for two reasons:

1] It resembles the previous book (4) which is mainly a flashback in Roland's youth and many people hated that book because it was mainly a flashback, so they hated this book as well.
2] The main story of the book is actually a fairy tale and doesn't add any progress to the core narrative, which is something I don't mind since I'm more interested in Roland's past than his quest to the Dark Tower.

This book reminds m
T.J.
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful entry into the Dark Tower series that King supposedly completed in 2004. Think of this as DT 4.5, after Glass and before Wolves. We don't spend much time with the Ka-tet, as Roland tells them a story of his past while they take shelter from a storm (a "starkblast"--great imagery behind that name). As Roland tells the tale of hunting a shifter in a small town, King then takes it further and tells a story WITHIN the story, that of a boy who must attempt to save his mother's life. It's ...more
Jeanette  "Astute Crabbist"
Does this guy ever stop? I sure hope not. Live forever, Stevie baby, live forever.

j
May 09, 2012 rated it liked it
I have read a few negative reviews of this book that make excellent points about why this is a disappointing addition to the Dark Tower canon. I can't really disagree with them. And yet I enjoyed this story. The difference, I think, lies more with my expectations than the execution.

My favorite part of the Dark Tower is the world King slowly assembled over the course of the series, and the way he eventually tied it in to a dozen or so of his other novels, creating a vast meta-fictional landscape.
Jason Parent
Oct 21, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wind Through the Keyhole was a very enjoyable listen, and Stephen King read it to me. He's not as good as his usual narrator, but he's still a pretty damn good storyteller (in the reading aloud sense, as well as the writing sense).

With this 4.5 installment of The Dark Tower, King weaves a story inside a story inside a story, with each one drawing me in. This was a solid 5 star read almost all the way through. Working inwards out, the fable of Tim Stoutheart is near perfect (view spoiler)
Oct 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Kevin
Shelves: fiction
Adding this with some trepidation and suspicion, as the last two books in this series were so bad. This appears to be a prequel and could be better. But if Stephen King appears as a character in it, all bets are off.

Updating this on 4/29/12: I read this today. So much better than the last two Dark Tower books. This one takes place in the middle of things, between books 4 and 5. It is a novella within a story within yet another story. It was a fine quick read, and nice to spend another spell with
Kevin Xu
This book can be read as a standalong as this book has nothing to do with the main story of the Dark Tower series, but more of a black story as Wizard and Glass and The Dark Tower Graphic Novels are as a black story. This right after Wizard and Glass as Roland and Company hides from a coming story as Roland tells a story about his past where he brings his mother, and how he hunts down a Magican known as the Skin-Man, who can change into different forms of animals at night, killing people. While ...more
Josee Leon
Aug 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: rereading
A quick, entertaining read. It was nice to visit Roland again.

2nd time reading - Sept 4, 2017
I first read this 5 years ago when it was first published. I had given it 3 stars back then but am giving it 4 stars this time. I think I enjoyed it more this second time around as the series is fresh in my mind. It was clever to have a story within a story within a story and all were very interesting and compelling.
Medhat The Book Fanatic
I just finished this book and it is 4 AM here, so I'll just say that I loved this book, which is story within a story within a story. The first one - Present Day - and the third one, called The Wind Through the Keyhole, which is a story that Roland's ma used to read for him during his childhood, were sweet and heartwarming.I enjoyed the connections to the dark tower, Randall Flagg the Dark Man, and the parallel between each storyline and theme. While the second story, a backstory from Roland's p ...more
Gorgona Grim
Oct 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-library
Imala sam malu nedoumicu oko toga da li da "Vetar kroz ključaonicu" ostavim za kasnije i da odmah pređem na sledeći nastavak "Vukovi Kale", ali sam prihvatila da je knjiga označena kao #4.5 od strane samog autora, te da ću je svakako pročitati pre ili kasnije.

Većina verovatno zna da je King "Vetar kroz ključaonicu" napisao nakon što je završio serijal i u pogovoru on se osvrće na čitaoce koji se do sada nisu susretali sa serijalom, a koji možda žele da pročitaju neki deo. Ako se zanemari zbunjen
Paul Nelson
May 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-books-read
I listened to the audio version of The Wind through the Keyhole, narrated by the author himself, which I think made it that little bit more special because Stephen King has one of those voices in more ways than one, that demands your attention as if you’re listening to a master story-teller. Which you definitely are.

The Wind through the Keyhole is a nail-biting story about the trials and tribulations of a young boy named Tim Ross, told to Roland by his mother as a young boy.

Roland & his Ka-
Kandice
Dec 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a re-read for me, or to be accurate, a re-listen since I audio-ed this time. Originally I read it after the final Dark Tower installment because that’s when it was published. I don’t remember when I first re-read it, but probably on it’s own. This time I read it, technically, out of order as well. I absolutely understand why it belongs after Wizard and Glass and for anyone reading the first time (now that they are all available) I would encourage that order. For those of experiencing it ...more
  • Stephen King's The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger - The Little Sisters of Eluria
  • The Stand: The Night Has Come
  • Blaze
  • Night Visions 5
  • Odd Apocalypse (Odd Thomas, #5)
  • Lost Boy Lost Girl
  • Stephen King Illustrated Companion Manuscripts, Correspondence, Drawings, and Memorabilia from the Master of Modern Horror
  • Olivia and the Fairy Princesses (Olivia)
  • The Lost Work Of Stephen King: A Guide to Unpublished Manuscripts, Story Fragments, Alternative Versions and Oddities
More about Stephen King

The Dark Tower (8 books)
  • The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
  • The Drawing of the Three (The Dark Tower, #2)
  • The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower, #3)
  • Wizard and Glass (The Dark Tower, #4)
  • Wolves of the Calla (The Dark Tower, #5)
  • Song of Susannah (The Dark Tower, #6)
  • The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
“What if I fall?', Tim cried.

Maerlyn laughed. 'Sooner or later, we all do.”
93 likes
“In the end, the wind takes everything, doesn't it? And why not? Why other? If the sweetness of our lives did not depart, there would be no sweetness at all.” 79 likes