Start by marking “Saving Zoë” as Want to Read:
Saving Zoë

Saving Zoë

It's been one year since the brutal murder of her older sister, Zoë, and fifteen-year-old Echo is still reeling from the aftermath. Her parents are numb, her friends are moving on, and the awkward start to her freshman year proves she'll never live up to her sister's memory. Until Zoë's former boyfriend Marc shows up with Zoë diary.

At first Echo's not interested, doubting
Published September 4th 2007 by St. Martin's Press (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Saving Zoë, please sign up.

Start your review of Saving Zoë
Hannah
Jan 13, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I hate writing bad reviews. Hate, hate, hate, especially since Alyson Noël is an established author. But I don't know what else to do - there was absolutley nothing I enjoyed about Saving Zoë. By the end, I was annoyed by everything and just wanted to get it over with.

My first problem is the writing and style. Mainly, it isn't even written like a novel, more like the way an adult imagines a 15-year-old would speak, which annoyed me - yes, we say "like" too often, but writing a novel like that
stephanie
Aug 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
how we see our siblings. how our siblings see us. how we don't see.

this book was kind of hard to read as an older sister. not because of anything in particular, but the things you take for granted - your friends knowing your siblings, the secrets you keep to protect the younger ones, to keep as your own, the way your relationship with your parents is different. the way idealization occurs, even when you aren't aware, and how such different personalities are still related, still sisters.

zoe
Louise
Apr 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Saving Zoe is about a girl name Echo who's sister (Zoe) was murdered leaving her and her parents in pieces. Echo feels she is living under her sister's shadow and will never be the happy, care-free person she was or have the lust for life Zoe did. Echo's life hasn't been the same since, then Zoe's boyfriend (Marc) gives Echo Zoe's diary. As Echo reads Zoe's diary, she feels closer to her and wishes she was more like her and even starts to pretend she is Zoe. She starts getting closer to Marc, ...more
Donna {Book Passion For Life}
Alyson Noël was one of the first authors I ever read after reading Twilight, and I have to admit she really had me hooked with her Immortal Series. Admittedly it’s been a while since I’ve picked up any of her books but when I came across Saving Zoë on Audible UK, I thought I’d try it because I haven’t tried any YA contemporary by Alyson so far.

Saving Zoë is just over 6 hours long to listen to and I have to say within a few minutes I couldn’t stop listening. I literally spent my whole Sunday
laaaaames
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this more than I did, but at the end of the day I didn't think the characterization of Echo, the protag, was consistent enough. I get she was sort of split between trying to be Zoe and then of course just being herself, but it was weird to read a book narrated by a fifteen-year-old with no experience who would then be so blase about making out with a boy, about drinking, about so many first-time experiences. One reason I really enjoy reading YA is that aspect of firsts. Life is ...more
Rebecca McNutt
Mar 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Saving Zoë in a gripping and intriguing book about picking up the pieces after death and about finding all the pieces to the puzzle of a life.
Michael
Every reader has his or her guilty pleasures. Mine is young adult novels.

Or should I say young adult novels as audio books to listen to while I'm working out (in this case, running). In many cases, young adult novels serve as a solid distraction as the miles go by without demanding that I hang on every word and stop paying attention to my pace or things coming up ahead like mud, vehicles, fellow runners or roaming animals.*

So imagine my surprise when I downloaded the audio version of Saving Zoe
Sarah BT
Jun 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was originally interested in this book because of the cover that said fans of Veronica Mars would love this. As a VM fan, I had to pick it up and I'm so glad I did! This book is amazing. I feel very passionately that this is a must read. The writing is excellent and the story draws you in. Saving Zoe is a blender book (it's got a little bit of everything-it's got romance, mystery, twists and turns, coming of age, sadness, happiness.) In the beginning, you only know as much about Zoe's death ...more
Persian
Jul 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reagan Abshire
Sep 28, 2016 rated it liked it
I think this book is very interesting you get to witness one girl going through a hard time of going into high school without a older sister to guide her through. This book has lots of twists and turns this is a quick and easy read that will keep you on the edge of your chair wondering what will happen next i would Recommend this book for young adults.
Vem Night
Apr 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Beautiful. I love how it was written, the characters (especially the names!), the plot and how it didn't have to put love story in it to be a wonderful story as it is.
I'm heartbroken for Marc for everything he's been through. Most especially to Zoe, all the things she missed, and that really big surprise Marc had for her cause its really something.
JenacideByBibliophile
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-ya
Opinion: I would first like to say that it was a FANTASTIC idea to put Saving Zoë as the second story in this reissue. If it had been first, than I would have been pretty disappointed reading Faking 19 after a story like this. This is one of those books that will leave your inner child feeling a bit squirmy and queasy, but ultimately leaving a reminder behind about the dangers of the internet and strangers. Books like this need to be required reading in junior high and high schools; but since ...more
Allison, Kawalec.
i chose this book because i read the back page and it sounded very good!
realistic fiction.
There are actualy two people who could be considered the main characters Echo, who is basicaly telling the story or Zoe (who the story is about).
This is about a girl named echo who lost her sister to murder about a year ago . It really effected her even though she doesnt let it show. It also had a huge impact on her family! Her dads never home and her moms always popping all these pills. Echo has a lot of
Winnie
Mar 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I thought this book has a great plot and writing style. I like how the book has combination between a diary and a regular chapter book because this tells two stories, one story is about a fifteen-year-old girl named Echo, who has to deal with a tragedy, having the lost of her older sister, Zoe. The other story is about Zoe’s diary, and her secret life. Echo reads her sister’s diary to get to know her better and tries to connect with her or maybe find some clues that could lead to her death.
I
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Amanda
Jun 30, 2019 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF at 63%

I just couldn't go on. This book was poorly written, the characters were flat, and the plot was non-existent for the most part. I really thought this was going to be an interesting read but it was bland as heck. It's not very long but I just can't invest any more time in this one.
Mizuki
Okay, I couldn't even get passed the first 10 pages. Now this book is DNF, I had already returned it to the library.
hayden
Sep 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVED this book. Really well plotted and paced; Alyson Noel is my favorite author right now.
Nicole Evelina
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-fiction
4.5 stars rounded up.
Anna  (The Bursting Bookshelf)
May 29, 2019 rated it did not like it
Ages ago, I read theEvermore series by Alyson Noel. I remember them being very mediocre YA books that went steadily downhill the further you went into the series. Since it's been a few years (and this book was available at my library), I decided to give this author another shot. Unfortunately,Saving Zoe was even worse than I remember her other books being - it feels like a half-assed attempt to cash in on the YA contemporary genre boom.

Echo (the narrator) is a fundamentally whiny Mary-Sue of a
Kelly
Apr 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, I think it was well written. The way the author decided to tell the story through diary entrees and have us see what happened to Zoe before the "current" events are happening is very interesting.
Isabel
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read the book Saving Zoe by Alyson Noel. I got a recommendation from a friend, who said I should read this book. Instantly, I got sucked in just by reading the preview.
The main character in this book is Echo. She is Zoe’s sister. It’s been a year since the murder of Zoe, and her sister Echo just now starts healing. Echo starts her freshman year trying to be like Zoe. Until Zoe’s former boyfriend, Marc shows up and gives Echo Zoe’s diary. At first, Echo is a little nervous to read her sister’s
Britt Meter
Sep 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
It was a quick read for me and overall the book itself was OK. The main character named Echo is figuring out what happened to her sister Zoe before she was killed, thanks to the diary that Zoe was writing towards her death that Zoe's boyfriend Marc kept. It had drug and alcohol abuse in it and also under aged sex in it also. It wasn't a horrible story but the charters weren't believable in the situation they were in, the parents in the story did nothing about Zoe's death (only the aftermath of ...more
Megan BG
Sep 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
I wouldn't consider it a romance, but it's a good story of a little sister trying to cope with her sister's murder.
Emma Brazeal
Jan 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was so good! So many twists and turns! It was not at all what I expected it to be like but so much better!
Danielle Russell
I got this book through my Book of the Month subscription box because I really enjoyed Laura Marano in Switched at Birth. I was excited to watch the movie after reading the book. About half way through, I decided to watch the trailer for the movie.... and really wish I hadnt. It gave me high hopes of it being a dark, gritty thriller, when it definitely wasnt. The book follows Echo, a high school freshman who's older sister Zoe was tragically murdered, and her way of getting to know the real Zoe ...more
Samantha
Oct 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Okay, so I just finished SAVING ZOË by Alyson Noël, like literally…one minute ago. I’ve been thinking about the review I would write for this book a lot. Before I was even half-way through. There are several pros and cons to mention, and I’m still not really sure what rating I would give this book because I’m so torn between those pros and cons. But, as a story goes, Saving Zoë is pretty freaking amazing.

Alyson’s words bring Echo and Zoë to life, which is no small feat seeing as how one of
Jordan
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
If your dead sisters ex boyfriend showed up at your house one day and gave you your sisters diary would you read it? "Saving Zoe" is a novel about the bond that sisters share even when one of them is long gone. The novel is centered around Echo, she is a normal all american 15 year old girl except her sister was murdered by an online predator a year before. Echo is basically trying to live her life as normally as she possibly can after such horrific event happened. But just when she is starting ...more
Clarkia
May 08, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book has a very interesting topic. And considering this was written by Alison Noel... I liked it, but, obviously it has major flaws. (Spoiler alert! But dont worry, the book doesnt have a lot of surprises, so you are not losing much).
Alyson Noel`s writing doesnt appeal much to me. I dont think she is a good writer, in fact I find her writing poor and horrible. I dont know why she is so reknown and considered as a good writer.
In Saving Zoe, Echo, having just lost her sister Zoe a year ago by
Shital
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it

In Alyson Noel’s award winning novel Saving Zoe Echo is an eager teenager trying to get ready for high school with her two best friends and her boyfriend Marc. However, Echo finds it difficult to be happy because it has been exactly one year since the horrible murder of her sister Zoe. Echo has a terrible home life seeing as how her father is always at work and her mom knocks herself out with pills. What Echo is trying to figure out throughout the whole novel is how her sister was murdered and

• Truth Be Told
  • I Have No Secrets
  • Hearts, Strings, and Other Breakable Things
  • The Wives
  • The Housekeeper
  • Eva's Campfire Adventure: A Branches Book (Owl Diaries #12)
  • The Shrike & the Shadows
  • The Sun Down Motel
  • Long Bright River
  • One of Us Is Next (One of Us Is Lying, #2)
  • The Last to Die
  • Past Perfect Life
  • The Incident on the Bridge
  • Dear Edward
  • Throw Like a Girl
  • The Suspect: An Olympic Bombing, the FBI, the Media, and Richard Jewell, the Man Caught in the Middle
  • Nothing to See Here
  • Over You
*Note to readers: I'm slowly adding to the long list of books I've read, books I'm reading, and books I want to read. I only add books I loved, hence all my ratings are 5 stars.

Alyson Noël is the #1 NYT best-selling author of many award-winning and critically acclaimed novels for readers of all ages.

With 9 NYT bestsellers and over 8 million copies in print, her books have been translated into 36
“But I've strayed so far from normal now, I'll never find my way back. And the truth is, I no longer want to.” 236 likes
“I’m always thinking about what I’m missing. Even when I’m happy with what I have.” 92 likes