Start by marking “Latter-day Liberty: A Gospel Approach to Government and Politics” as Want to Read:
Latter-day Liberty: A Gospel Approach to Government and Politics

Latter-day Liberty: A Gospel Approach to Government and Politics

Individual liberty is a fundamental aspect of the good news of the gospel. But what is liberty exactly, and what role does it play in our lives? Connor Boyack explores these questions and much more in this detailed analysis of historical developments, secular information, and scriptural insights. Make the most of your freedom through the joys of the gospel with this timely ...more
Published December 6th 2011 by Cedar Fort, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Latter-day Liberty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Latter-day Liberty

Start your review of Latter-day Liberty: A Gospel Approach to Government and Politics
Jeffrey Howard
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
Connor presents a convincing argument for how an honest and consistent approach to Mormonism would play out in politics. According to Connor, Mormonism most comfortably and authentically fits with the freedom philosophy than with any other ideology out there. Although I was convinced of that notion before reading this book, I find it hard for somebody to be a fully-committed Mormon and adhere to any ideology other than that of classical liberalism.

There are certainly doubters out there, and tho
Jeff Stockett
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: members of the LDS church
Shelves: political, religous
This is an excellent book. Though the LDS church does not get involved in the political process, it certainly teaches principles that can be applied to politics. This book takes the opportunity to examine politics from a Latter Day Saint perspective. It is a non partisan approach to government. In fact, this book criticizes both political parties and points out that neither of them have been perfect champions of liberty.

This book draws on information from the Bible, the Book of Mormon, and quote
Daron
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
In a quest to better understand the ORIGINS and INTENTS of the Constitution of the United States and the Declaration of Independence, I have been reading a LOT of non-fiction related to those subjects of late. My list of reading has included John Locke, Brion McClanahan, Frederic Bastiat, Ezra Taft Benson, J. Reuben Clark, Heber J. Grant, Abel Upshur, Thomas Paine, Cleon Skousen, Hugh Nibley, and also George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, short quotes from many other Founders, and much more. Latt ...more
KC
Jan 10, 2019 rated it liked it
I was Connor Boyack’s successor at the BYU Kennedy Center, where we both were employed in the role of web developer and video producer. He and I also share an interest in liberty, and were both Ron Paul enthusiasts during the 2008 presidential election. I was excited when his book came out, and bought in in 2011, though it has taken me until now to read through it in its entirety.

The premise is that Latter-day Saints are particularly positioned to take an interest in the philosophy liberty from
Michelle
Aug 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Latter Day Liberty is a timely book that redraws the line between liberty and tyranny in a political climate where that line has been obscured. While the two major political parties do nothing more than perpetuate each other’s policies and put on a front of fighting for freedom, this book brings clarity to the concept of genuine liberty. Primarily directed to members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, it examines Church history and doctrine from the standpoint of liberty and giv ...more
Benjamin Bastian
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What an amazing book with phenomenal ideas. It completely change my outlook on more than a few political agendas and laws.
Josh Steimle
Oct 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Disclaimer: I know Connor a bit. Not best buds or anything, but I've met him a few times and we communicate sometimes via email. Knowing a bit about Connor and what he's written on his blog, I had expectations of something good, but not quite on this level. Plus I wasn't a big fan of the cover, so my expectations were tempered by that. But I was quite impressed with the book. Maybe it's because I just finished and the glow will wear off after a few days, but man, this is great stuff. I've read a ...more
James Davis
Latter-day Liberty provides a much needed clarity and perspective on the proper role between man, God, and government. Topic by topic Boyack suggests scripturally based remedies to many of the social, economic, and political ailments facing society. The overall message is consistent with a standard laid out by Joseph Smith that:

"All men are, or ought to be free, possessing unalienable rights, and the high and noble qualifications of the laws of nature and of self-preservation, to think, and act
Cami
Sep 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
For me the real value of this book is as a collection of great quotes on libertarianism from a wide range of thinkers; quoting everyone from Ayn Rand and Murray Rothbard to Ezra Taft Benson and David O. McKay. My highlighter was busy as I read this. Intially, I was hoping this would be an Mormon-focused rendition of "Defending the Undefendable" because I do find that I'm constantly trying to reconcile my libertarian approach to social-issue politics with the morality of my religion. But the auth ...more
D.M. Andrews (author) Andrews
Latter-day Liberty attempts to take the teachings of the scriptures and the counsel of modern-day prophets of The Church of Jesus Christ of Later-day saints, and use them as a foundation for understanding what government should and should not do. The first part of the book looks more at the philosophy, and the second part more at the implementation of that philosophy as illustrated by several high-profile policies, including war, immigration and the war on drugs.

The book is very well written, su
Holli
Jan 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Politics isn't my cup of tea, but I picked up this book on recommendation from my father-in-law and figured it wouldn't hurt to broaden my knowledge a bit. The book was well researched and written. The author brought up some good and thought-provoking ideas. I was a little disappointed with some of his points, especially in the war section. However, I did learn a fair bit about liberty and it gave me several things to think about with regard to politics and the place of government. It changed th ...more
Dwayne Toney
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Brilliant book! Highly recommended! Connor really has his head screwed on ! If you want to know the truth of how far our government has drifted from the original intent of what our founding fathers wanted for this country, read this book! Every Liberty minded person should read this book. This book has come at a time when our Liberty as never been more curtailed, citizens of our country need to wake up open their eyes and do something about it, this book will help with the eye opening! Good Job ...more
Barbara
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Excellent! A must-read for anyone who wants to understand and maintain our liberties. The first half of the book explains the background and foundation; then the second half applies everything to modern-day examples. Admittedly, the first half is a little more tedious to read, but it is necessary in order to understand the modern-day applications in the second half. But it is well worth the effort! Great book!
Michelle
Feb 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a really important book--every Latter-Day Saint in this difficult election year should examine attitudes about liberty and governance--and this book is a tremendous help and an important voice for liberty. Well researched, well written, well reasoned, quotes from Church leaders and good solid thinking about the problems we have today and what government can and should do (or not do) about them. A modern-day Title of Liberty to hold up to the world.
Tim Harper
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Connor Boyack did an excellent job arguing for libertarianism by supporting many principles espoused by LDS leaders. I enjoyed listening to it and being reminded of the many inspiring and wise things that have come out of the mouths of LDS leaders since the beginning of the church. Whether you are LDS or not, I feel the principles described are universally applicable and are worth a read.
Ross
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really liked this the author is well read and understands liberty like few in our nation. I dont agree with all of this book ( national defense comes to mind ) but I respect his opinions and can see the train of logic he uses to support them.
Argawal
Nov 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I recommend this book highly for any LDS member confused about politics. Doesn't matter if you're left or right leaning, after reading this book you will be more aligned with the principles of the LDS faith. It's simple and rather an introduction which is good if you're new to the topic of freedom.
Richard
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A phenomenal book! This book greatly changed my political perspective and should be a must read for all LDS members!
Brynn
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book was excellent! I was a little skeptical going into it. But I found it informative and enlightening. I highly recommend it to members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Jen Barker
Dec 29, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Although I didn't agree with everything the author states, it's an informative and thought provoking book.
Cathy Ankenman
Aug 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I learned so much from this book. Has great and logical insight on liberty and how we should act as free people. The government is robbing us of our rights and he explains how they are doing it.
Brent
Chandler
rated it it was ok
Sep 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Lost Roses (Lilac Girls, #2)
  • The Inevitable Apostasy and the Promised Restoration
  • Healing Back Pain: The Mind-Body Connection
  • The Christmas Train
  • The Cleansing of America
  • The Autobiography of Santa Claus
  • The Last Man at the Inn: One Man's Quest to Believe
  • A Redbird Christmas
  • Beauty: A Retelling of the Story of Beauty and the Beast
  • The Autobiography of Santa Claus (The Christmas Chronicles #1)
  • The Indifferent Stars Above: The Harrowing Saga of a Donner Party Bride
  • A World Without Heroes: The Modern Tragedy
  • A Baxter Family Christmas
  • The Golden Goblet
  • The Christmas Wish
  • Noel Street
  • The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle (The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, #7)
  • Safe Passage
Connor Boyack is founder and president of Libertas Institute, a libertarian think tank in Utah. In that capacity, he has spearheaded important policy reforms dealing with property rights, civil liberties, transparency, surveillance, and education freedom.

Connor is the author of several books, including the new Tuttle Twins series that teaches the principles of liberty to young children. Other book

News & Interviews