Start by marking “Refugee (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #16) (Star Wars: Force Heretic, #2)” as Want to Read:
Refugee (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #16) (Star Wars: Force Heretic, #2)

Refugee (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #16) (Force Heretic #2)

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  4,598 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Swift and deadly, the Yuuzhan Vong have blasted their way across the galaxy—and now stand on the threshold of total victory. Yet a courageous few still dare to oppose them. . . .

Rife with hostile cultures and outright enemies, the Unknown Regions holds many perils for Luke Skywalker and the Jedi, searching for Zonama Sekot, the living planet that may hold the key to dea
Kindle Edition
Published (first published April 29th 2003)

Scott Rhee
The sixteenth book in the New Jedi Order series, "Refugee", continues the story started in Sean Williams and Shane Dix's first book of their Force Heretic trilogy. That book, "Remnant", had been decent but plodding. Unfortunately, "Refugee" isn't much better.

Searching the Unknown Regions for the legendary wandering planet, Zonoma Sekot, Luke and Mara Jade Skywalker, along with their team, recruit the help of the Chiss. They have been allowed to search the vast archives of ancient texts for any r
Crystal Starr Light
Tired of the Yuuzhan Vong? You picked the right book!

Luke and gang still search for Zonoma Sekot, this time on the Chiss homeworld of Csilla and in a big library. Han and Leia and company flit to Bakura to recreate Tyer's "Truce at Bakura". And Nom Anor continues to be a heretic.

NOTE: Based on audiobook and novel.

Oh, novel, why do you do this to me? Even though I didn't like reading you the first time, I didn't start listening to the audiobook thinking, "I am going to hate this book, hee hee hee
M Hamed
Apr 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, star-wars
greed ,it's the only justification for such atrocity
Peter
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not one of my favorites. Sort of slow and a significant part of th book takes place in a library.
Matthew Ashby
Apr 07, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
Del Rey started the New Jedi Order to get away from people trying to overthrow the New Republic and blame the good guys. So in this book, we get a plot about people trying to overthrow the New Republic and blame the good guys. What?

Danni and Jacen have no chemistry together. Why are they making this a thing? The only good thing I have to say about this book is that Tahiri's struggle with Riina is a welcome addition to the series and the EU as a whole. Also, I only have three books left. "Thank t
Mark
A book of three halves...(!)

The Ssi-Ruuk story was surprisingly enjoyable - though the revelation near the end had predictable inevitableness.

The Chiss story was fun, though the Zonama Sekot story (the reason for being with the Chiss) is rather tedious - rather like 'Gaia' in the later 'Foundation' books.

Nom Amor's religion building is fun to watch - religions co-opted for political purposes, and with the potential to leave politics behind and forgotten....
Katrin von Martin
Jerry Rose
These Star Wars books have gotten a lot worse since I got older. Not nearly as fantastic as I remember.
Seth
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fell into similar traps that plague second installments in trilogies.
Justin
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Apparently authors Sean Williams and Shane Dix though that by book 16 of the massive New Jedi Order series, what we really needed was a book that had next to nothing to do with the Yuuzhan Vong threat that was the focus of the previous 15 books. Instead they offer up Refugee, the irrelevant and not particularly necessary middle chapter in their Force Heretic series within a series.

Refugee, which for all intents and purposes is Truce at Bakura Part II, has two major plotlines and two minor subplo
Michael Church
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
This book was actually much much better than I expected going into it. Remnant was such a chore to read, I'm glad this one was more enjoyable.

I think where it succeeded was in keeping things a bit simpler. The plot lines were clearly divided int 3-4 stories that were very linear in nature and well written. That's what really has hampered this series on the whole: not being able to see its plots through to completion. It really feels like the current activities are going somewhere soon in this i
Darth
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
I dont know if this was actaully decent, or if it just seemed good after it's abyssmal predecessor.
Either way I came away from this thankful to have not had to wade through another set of victories over the Vong, just to see them start the next book worse off. In fact the Vong were mercifully sparse in this installment, and that may be why I found it a little better than Remnant.

We had 3 main storylines, not too many to care about, granted with some good sized splintering within those 3, but st
Jeff
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
The New Jedi Order series took a while to start moving along again, but it is certainly in the zone in the Force Heretic trilogy. While the story is kind of tangental to the main story arc of the series, it is a welcome distraction in a lot of ways. Another interesting thing that is happening in these three books is that there are three storylines that are being followed. However, sometimes there are more things going on at once than is easy to follow. So once in a while, you'll say to yourself, ...more
Daniel
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I struggled to get through this one. There was good ideas and parts--particularly the Chiss homeworld, the spreading heresy among the Yuuzhan Vong, Tahiri, and even some of the Bakura storyline. Much of this book has a sufficient "fantasy" feel about it, as a good Star Wars book should.

However, the writing is predictable. Except for the big twist (view spoiler), I felt like all the characters couldn't figure things out that should've b
Lindsey
Feb 26, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
William
Mar 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars, paperback
While this second book of the miniarc trilogy from the New Jedi Order series started off slowly, the ending kept me up later than normal, and tired for work the next day. Needless to say, it was very exciting. However, further to the excitement was the twists and turns not normally reserved for Star Wars literature. There were events taking place that I never saw coming, and normally these Star wars books are pretty straight laced and formulaic. If for no other reason at all, the novel earned it ...more
Michael
And so Solo's the continue their mission, which does not look as if it will be complete at the end of the next book. Tahiri's situation is revealed, and the Skywalker mission is entering it's final phase. This series attempts to tackle a lot and it is therefore highly plot driven. A lot of things happen, but because the authors are cramming it into 1200 pages or so it lacks a lot of the impact and emotion it could have. In the first book we are confused by the dreams whose dreams are hey. It bui ...more
Jesse
Feb 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, starwars
The new Jedi order completely outpaces anything in the Starwars genre. This series was Dark, exciting, fast paced, and inspired. The writing was fantastic and the level of philosophy and force history was unparalleled. If your a fan at any level of the Starwars Universe than this series is a must read. It is on my top 5 of all time for a series and I treasured every moment I spent in that time. But beware, this isn't your typical Starwars book, be ready for a level of intensity that you've never ...more
Mark
Sometimes the middle thing in a trilogy is awesome, because it maintains the perfect balance of providing its own satisfying story while advancing the larger narrative. This second book in a three-book sequence is not such a trilogy.

Part of that is probably because it's couched within the NJO arc itself so it can't stand on its own as much. It's also because this feels like the parts that went with neither the setup nor the climax. Just some stuff in the middle for the characters to do on the w
Aric
Apr 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
The interesting and sometimes suspenseful plot was nearly completely ruined by the extremely poor authorship of this book. If this book was standalone and not part of a long series, it would have been the first book that I would have put down and never finished. Slight upgrade over the previous book in the series also written by these two dopes. Both books ended with elipeses...enough said.
John Cook
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Teens or older.
Recommended to John by: Me
The second in a series within a series, set in the heart of the Yuuzhan Vong War, Luke and Leia not only battle the enemy, but find themselves caught in a political battle as well. The Jedi are losing popular favor. The Yuuzhan Vong are gaining more and more power as they conquer and transform planet after planet. Luke goes in search of a "living planet" in hopes that he can find an advantage over the Force immune enemy.
Ryan
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Significantly weaker than the first part of the mini-series. The stuff I liked from book 1 was all scaled back, and uninteresting stuff put in its place - it also seemed to suffer from this desire on the part of some NJO authors to revisit every single plot point from earlier novels, as we return to Bakura to see how things have been holding up there in the two decades since the planet was introduced.

I think once the Force Heretic series is done I need to take a Star Wars break.
Ben
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the worst Star Wars book I've ever read. It was a bit refreshing to get away from the Vong for a while, even though the (view spoiler) aren't the best either.

Much less of the boring metaphysical dream world of the previous book. This book is nothing special, but you have to get through it to finish the series.

The parts involving Nom Anor were very interesting on the other hand. If they had been the focus of the book I would be able to give it a better rating.
RumBelle
Feb 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
In this second installment, Han, Jaina, Jag and Leia have to deal with Bakura and their enemies, the Ssi-Ruuk. These aliens were the first foes the Republic had to fight after Return of the Jedi. The hunt for Zonoma Sekot leads Luke, Mara, Jacen and Dani to the Chiss, where they become embroiled in Chiss political conflict.
Nathan
Mar 11, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars, sci-fi
Out of the fifty plus Star Wars novels that I've read, this is probably my least favorite. The story veers away from the current series plot and ends up being sort of a "Truce at Bakura" sequel. For me, it was a grind reading through this "filler" story. Hopefully the third book in this trilogy will get back to the original story line.
Kim
May 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I still took issue to the writing style here, but the story wasn't too bad, and was actually an improvement on the first book. While it was interesting to revisit Bakura and the Ssi-Ruuk, I thought that plot line moved a bit on the slow side.

All in all, I did enjoy the book, though it has been far from my favorite entry in the NJO.
Brantley
A solid, enjoyable read which dragged on during the beginning and middle of the novel. The writing is standard: not ornate, not bare bones, but somewhere in the middle. It was an average read, definitely the second book in a trilogy. Not particularly remarkable.
Chris
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was ok
Yeah this one is pretty slow. This is the author's first set of Star Wars books in the NJO series and it kinda shows. This is book 16 in the NJO series. I've already got a lot of time invested in reading these, but I considered stopping at this one. I'm hoping 17 is better.
Matt Hartzell
Mar 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Wars Fans
Shelves: star-wars
The New Jedi Order is my favorite series in the Star Wars Expanded Universe. It is a long and epic story, with large ramifications for all the Expanded Universe characters. It will keep you busy for a while!
Rocky Sunico
Jan 20, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-wars
The book largely felt like a rehash of The Truce at Bakura (in the same way the prior book was a rehash of the Black Fleet Crisis to some extent). While I appreciate revisiting old stories, this was a bit much and it didn't feel too connected to the overall story of the Yuuzhan Vong invasion.
  • The Final Prophecy (Star Wars: New Jedi Order, #18)
  • Rebel Stand (Enemy Lines, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #12)
  • Destiny's Way (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #14)
  • The Unifying Force (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #19)
  • Traitor (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #13)
  • Dark Journey (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #10)
  • Balance Point (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #6)
  • The Unseen Queen (Star Wars: Dark Nest, #2)
  • Ruin (Dark Tide, #2) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #3)
  • Bloodlines (Star Wars: Legacy of the Force, #2)
#1 New York Times bestselling Sean Williams lives with his family in Adelaide, South Australia. He’s written some books--forty-two at last count--including the Philip K. Dick-nominated Saturn Returns, several Star Wars novels and the Troubletwister series with Garth Nix. Twinmaker is a YA SF series that takes his love affair with the matter transmitter to a whole new level. You can find some relat ...more
More about Sean Williams...

Force Heretic (3 books)
  • Remnant (Force Heretic, #1) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #15)
  • Reunion (Force Heretic, #3) (Star Wars: The New Jedi Order, #17)

“Throwing off an oppressor is only the beginning of a long and difficult journey.

Leia”
1 likes
“The Chiss have always stored sensitive data in this fashion. It is safe secure and permanent. We have lost too much data in ice storms to trust other more complicated forms of storage.

Tris”