Start by marking “Chopsticks” as Want to Read:
Chopsticks

Chopsticks

(Utensils)

Meet Chopsticks! They've been best friends forever. But one day, this inseparable pair comes to a fork in the road. And for the very first time, they have to figure out how to function apart. From New York Times best-selling author Amy Krouse Rosenthal and rising artistic talent Scott Magoon, this witty and inventive tale celebrates both independence and the unbreakable bo ...more
Published January 24th 2012 by Hyperion Books

Crystal Marcos
Mar 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Chopsticks was even better than Spoon! I enjoyed both books and own the first. I read this in a bookstore and I will be adding it to my collection. The story and illustrations were clever, humorous, and charming. I smiled and giggled the whole time I read it. I can't wait to read this to my daughter. I know she will adore it too. I love the lesson taught here. A story about a deeply bonded pair of chopsticks who find out how to discover the world on their own. They are strong together and just a ...more
Lisa Vegan
Jun 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: readers who liked Spoon; anyone who uses chopsticks on occasion, or any utensils
Recommended to Lisa by: Crystal Marcos
Well, I enjoyed Spoon so I thought I’d try this book.

It’s delightful and whimsical, and its message, of standing on one’s own and still sticking together, while told blatantly, is told with such joy & verve & fun that really it’s just an entertaining story. The pictures, with the expressiveness of the various utensils, are perfect. And at the end of the book, the chopsticks pair plays chopsticks on the piano. So cute!

Recommended to all looking for a good friendship story, and those who
Paul  Hankins
Chopsticks do everything together. Noe of the other utensils have ever seen them apart. They have mastered just about every move chopsticks can master. But one day, an advanced move with a piece of asparagus leaves one of the friends with a injury.

First, you have to love that the "hospital" for these utensils is the medicine cabinet, delightfully rendered by Scott Magoon.

During the time that his friend needs to mend (his convalescence takes place in the chopsticks wrapper), the other chopstick
David
Apr 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Chopsticks by Amy Krouse Rosenthal, illustrated by Scott Magoon, is a hilarious companion to Spoon with even more kitchen implements and a focus on friendship and independence.

Magoon's illustrations are brilliant: clear, expressive, and cute without being "cutesy." The protrayal of the many puns is perfect: "whisked away" by a kitchen whisk, or "just plain stumped" standing on a wooden chopping block. Clever illustrations also abound, such as the medicine cabinet as the hospital, and pole vaulti
Heidi-Marie
A funny companion to "Spoon," and one I did not expect to go where it did. Too many parts that I loved to list them all, but I highly recommend reading the book and looking for all the little pieces of humor. Some may be over the kids' heads. If you help point out to school-age they may get it. And maybe a preschooler would be with it, too. But best in lap-reads and read-alones so they can catch it all. Too much would be missed in a storytime setting. It could still work, but my favorite pieces ...more
Kathryn
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Such fun! Very witty and with a sweet message, I appreciated this story about two chopsticks who do everything together until one of the chopsticks is injured and has to recover. What will the other chopstick do without its best friend at its side!? It's nice to see that their continued friendship is still celebrated, but that they also learn that it can be fun to break away and do things on your own, or with a new group of friends, sometimes, too. The illustrations are delightfully detailed and ...more
Shannon
Sep 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
As someone who had a limited pool of friends growing up, and was totally at a loss of what to do when I was separated from them, this book was spot on for me.

Read for WCCPBA http://www.wlma.org/wccpba
Roua
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I like the story because it is enjoyable , And I like the picture because it is beautiful and fantasy concept for children .
Zianh
I liked
Great pictures and colors sweet
and funny because the chopsticks people and speaks.
i loved the message that the chopsticks wanted each other to be happy.
Annie K.
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Read with my little brother.

See my review of Spoon by the same author. Pretty much the exact same thoughts. Sweet.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Mar 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Randie by: Kathryn
Chopsticks are great friends, they do everything together...until, snap! they are forced to take a break. Can chopsticks do anything apart? Through courage and exploration, they learn that being independent and enjoying things on their own actually makes them a stronger pair. A great message that can be applied to other relationships. Illustrations and text are full of humor and inside jokes.
namhee
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I like this book because this book has big pictures and easy words. and the story was very cute. chopsticks can speak, hear,thinking and play I like it. and chopsticks friendship is stronger I think their are good friend.
Junghyun Yoon
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
I think this book have easy story and it can be help reading fast also have picture It can be help understand story and have easy sentence It can be help understand mainstory.
Afnan
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I do not like fanciful story but this story was nice because the images funny and short story.
Naoki
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
This book have good story and easy to understand. And I like interesting ideas using cooking appliance. And I like this book's picture because it's cool.
Sammie
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT
High Plains Library District
This picture book is hilarious but young children won't understand the humor. I recommend using this book to add some humor into a serious adult program or for older children who need a good laugh.
Beth
Chopsticks are best friends. They've been that way forever. But one day one chopstick gets broken and must spend some time away from the other. While one chopstick explores new and different ways to be useful, the other chopstick must remain immobile while he's on the mend. Will Chopsticks continue to be friends after one has explored a new and different world, or will he leave his best friend behind?

In this adorable companion to the book Spoon, Amy Krouse Rosenthal's lovely story explores the d
Michele Knott
I loved this book! The Chopsticks do everything together - and you have to really look at the pictures to see how elaborately they work together - holding a side plank while picking up a sushi roll, holding hands to twirl around in a cup of tea, karate chop an asparagus.... but then the unthinkable happens and one of the Chopsticks breaks!!! He gets "whisked" (you have to see the picture....) off to the hospital where his "break" is set. But then he is told to rest. The other Chopstick doesn't l ...more
Kristen
Swoon! OK, I admit to having a huge author crush on Amy Krouse Rosenthal (or AK Ro, as I like to call her) and Chopsticks delighted me from the moment I picked it up.

The two chopsticks do everything together, until one accidentally breaks its tip. (It's whisked away - by a whisk - to the bathroom cabinet to be bandaged back up.) While the one chopstick heals, the other one gets a chance to try being independent, and when both chopsticks are strong enough to pick up and go, they find that spendi
Dolly
Jun 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We have enjoyed reading Amy Krouse Rosenthal's books and I was excited to see a book about chopsticks. We loved the word play in the story and our girls groaned at some of the corny jokes. I loved the message about being strong individually as well as part of a team or pair. It was fun to see the characters from Spoon return and we loved the illustrations. Overall, we really enjoyed reading this story together.
MrsMitchell
Oct 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read2015
This book is so cute!!! I loved the fun, playful pictures and the whole idea that the chopsticks (and other utensils) were alive and acting like people! I also thought the word play was very cute and fun! Most of all, I loved the message that the chopsticks wanted each other to be happy, and that when they spent time alone to grow as individuals, their friendship got stronger too!
This story makes me think of my best friends who live far away, and how even though it's hard to be separated, we are
Barbara
Jun 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Filled with clever wordplay and visual humor ("Chopstick was quickly whisked away") that shows him being carried off by a whisk, this clever picture book explores what happens when two chopsticks who are always together are separated after one has been injured. As he heals, the other chopstick goes off on his own with a gentle nudge from his friend. The digital art and the positive message about standing on your own while also standing with others are excellent for readers to consider.
Jackie
Mar 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Chopsticks do everything together...until the big break! Oh NO! Chopstick will have to lay low until his break heals (glue dries completely). Chopstick encourages chopstick to get out on his own and venture out. Chopstick is reluctant at first, but soon finds plenty of things to do until Chopstick is healed completely!

A fun story about friendship, healing, and taking time for oneself.

Great to use for any kid going off to the hospital.
The Library Lady
Feb 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Rosenthal is another in my list of picture book authors who are vastly unappreciated. Her humor has something for the kids AND for the adults and her prose timing is perfect. The art harmonizes well here--and speaking of harmony, love the final page here at the piano. Guess what tune they're playing?
Roberto Bautista
Oct 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
The first I put 4 stars is because I love books.

The second that the books was interesting that is the life of a few friends with problems and overcoming them.

The third reason is that talk of two friends spent a very long history.
Lynn  Davidson
Feb 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is an adorable and funny story. Two chopsticks are together all the time, until an accident happens. Then one has to figure out what it can do without the other, while the other heals. Funny illustrations and wordplay.
midnightfaerie
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
A cute story but completely based on puns that my children weren't old enough to get. The pictures were fun, but overall the book held little interest for them. I was hoping it would be more cultural.
Mard
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book is so interesting because this chopsticks how can I used how many great new things they showing them
2.i never know that it can be a lot of things with chopsticks and also whimsical ideas
3.the book shows a strong friendship
4.the chopstick learn he can do any thing.
Noorulhuda
Oct 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Ilove this story,because the picture was fun,and is showes me how nice they work together with the best freinds,and it is nice when the copstick want the other chopstick to do some thing fun with out him.
  • Boy + Bot
  • Red Knit Cap Girl
  • One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters
  • Boot & Shoe

SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was.
She divided her time.

NOT SO SHORT BIO:

Amy Krouse Rosenthal was a person who liked to make things.
Some things she liked to make include:

Children's books. (Little Pea, Spoon, DuckRabbit)
Grown-up books. (Textbook Amy Krouse Rosenthal, Encyclopedia of an Ordinary Life)
Short films. (The Beckoning of Lovely, The Money Tree)
Guided journals. (The Belly Book)
Something o