Start by marking “Captain America, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Captain America, Volume 1

Captain America, Volume 1

(Captain America (2011) (Collected Editions) #1)

Best-selling Cap writer Ed Brubaker and superstar artist Steve McNiven bring you the next huge chapter in Steve Rogers' life, and it's a perfect jumping-on point for fans of the Cap movie! A funeral for a fallen friend turns into a race against time as the original Captain America makes his explosive return! Find out the secrets of the mission that went wrong in WWII, and ...more
Hardcover, Premiere, 120 pages
Published February 8th 2012 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Captain America, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captain America, Volume 1

Start your review of Captain America, Volume 1
Sam Quixote
May 07, 2016 rated it liked it
Cap’s being targeted by another blast from the past. This time it’s a fellow soldier and former ally called Bravo that got left behind on a WW2 mission and has somehow survived to the present day - and is now allied with Hydra!

This is a decent Captain America book but I think Ed Brubaker’s gone back to the well of WW2 and brought back a new forgotten character/nemesis of Cap’s one too many times at this point. It’s also hard to care about the latest person from yesteryear with a grudge against
Kemper
Jul 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel, comics, superhero, 2012
This is a bucket of original recipe Captain America with Steve Rogers back in his old uniform and teaming up with Version 1.0 Nick Fury instead of V2.0 Ultimate Samuel L. Jackson.

Rogers, Fury and Sharon Carter are attending the funeral of an old friend when they’re attacked by a man that Steve recognizes from his World War II days. A botched mission from back then has come back to bite them, and they find themselves up against a former ally as well as elements of Hydra.

It’s getting seriously ha
Chelsea 🏳️‍🌈
This was just okay. A little bland. The art was drop dead gorgeous.

One thing I appreciate about Brubaker's Cap, he really gets the supporting cast. Dugan, Fury, Sam and Sharon are here and they all have a role. This is probably the most I've seen Sharon get to kick ass and fight. It was greatly appreciated.

There isn't a ton of introspection in this volume but, the set up at the end makes me think the next one will have some.
Donovan

My first Captain America comic ever. And it was awesome!

Brubaker is known for his crime comics, and this is no exception. Well, with the exception of alternate dimensions. I guess that's new. But Cap is a time traveler, so that's not a stretch. At any rate, this is action packed. There are great twists and moments of suspense. And the dialog is top notch. Most of all, it made me care for Steve Rogers' character and his complex history.

Steve McNiven is cinematic. His illustrations are from the s
Martin
Feb 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Yet another reboot of the Captain America franchise, a book you will most likely read in one sitting, for the 2 following reasons: (1) the story is good, albeit with the by-now-overly familiar Brubaker touch of yet-another-hidden/forgotten chapter in Steve Rogers' life, this time with a hint of Christopher Nolan's Inception thrown in; and (2) the book looks absolutely amazing - in fact that is what elevates it to four stars.

Check it out if you like, but I would advise not getting too drawn in to
Kurt
May 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kurt by: Matt
This new volume of Captain America is a chance for Ed Brubaker to get back to the brilliant work he was doing when he began writing about this character. Brubaker's grasp of Cap is superb - Captain America is a hero through and through, with a supporting cast to take care of moral complexity and vulnerability, and with a long history from which to draw for organic story ideas. McNiven's art is beautiful, with great facial expressions and clean action scenes.

The story here is that someone from Ca
Peter Derk
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
I think...the story was good, but I'm having a problem with Captain America.

Reading this guy is like dating a lady who's really not over her ex. Everything is about the past.

It's always, "Um, by the way, I forgot to mention something..." or "When will these ghosts from my tumultuous past stop haunting my present!?"

With the girlfriend, it's not stuff that's as exciting as a giant Captain America android wrecking up the city. But still, at some point we need to start living in the present, making
Frank
Jun 28, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-omnibus
Being out of comics for decades, this was recommended as a nice start to Captain America without going back to the Siler Age books.
In any event i enjoyed the introduction to this long story which as I understand goes through five volumes of omnibus which I plan on trying to find to read the remainder of the story arc.
Brent
Dec 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of these fine creators and Marvel superheroes
Recommended to Brent by: these fine creators, the Book Nook, and Atlanta-Fulton Public Library
Shelves: comics, fiction, superhero
McNiven is a fine superhero comics artist. The collaboration with Brubaker on this set of stories is quite good. Still ends on a cliffhanger... I had read these stories in individual issues and still enjoyed rereading them.
Recommended.
Quentin Wallace
Apr 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Captain America has always appealed to me because while he is a super hero, he's not Superman. He's faster, stronger, smarter than the average person, but he's still human. He doesn't fly around, and he's not invulnerable. His stories have always had a more realistic feel to them than some superheroes for that reason.

However, Cap just isn't made for this type of story, at least in my opinion. This is a really far out science fiction type tale, and while it was entertaining, it just didn't seem l
joana
Dec 12, 2015 rated it liked it
My first Marvel graphic book!!! I basically know nothing about Marvel other than the movies so this has been nice. I didn't even know there was a Sharon Carter in the Marvel universe haha
Okay the reason I gave it 3 stars is basically because the book is kinda confusing, with all the flashbacks and stuff. Other than that it's great.
I have a few more to read so hopefully they won't be as confusing :)
Ivy
Yay. Steve is back as Captain America. Poor Jimmy Jupiter. How is Dum Dum able to stay young? Or not look really old. Isn't he around the same age as Peggy? RIP Peggy Carter. It is weird seeing a white Nick Fury not a black Nick Fury.
Allan
Dec 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not bad. I'm not a follower of the Captain America franchise, but I love Ed Brubaker. Unsurprisingly, the writing is great--matched by gorgeous art. Looking forward to Volume 2!
Krista
This is my first Captain America comic, and I really enjoyed it. I was first introduced to Cap's character in the MCU movie, "The Avengers"; I'd been infatuated with Robert Downey Jr. and Iron Man (um, still am), and hadn't given Cap much notice. It wasn't until the Winter Soldier movie came out that I decided to go back and watch the first so I could see them both. Somehow my Chris Evans/Steve Rogers infatuation was latent, but here I am! And to think I was missing out all this time... (Truly a ...more
Dan
May 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read a Captain America book that was this good in quite a while. It is action packed, and fast paced with out a lot of pointless dialogue that doesn't have anything to do with the story, which I have found some wordy comics to have. Dimension hopping kid creates portals for Allies to transport and sneak up on Hydra, but something happens and they get trapped in this world.
Sara (marvelousbibliophile)
Feb 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I really enjoyed this. The story was action packed, interesting and easy to follow for someone who hasn't read a ton of Captain America comics before.

The art was really nice, it matched and flowed with the story nicely.

I've enjoyed everything I've read by Ed Brubaker so far and I will definitely be continuing on with this arc as well as picking up more by him.
Arlomisty
Mar 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I really enjoyed this one... lots of classic Captain America action with a little bit of a twist in the storyline... he's not exactly where he thinks he is... and an old comrade in arms who has been lost for decades returns for revenge....
Shelley
Feb 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
Villains from Steve's past in the 1940s have appeared in the present, leaving pretty much everyone in danger. I loved the WW2 flashbacks with Peggy, I love Sharon and her kickassness, I love the Queen and Codename: Bravo plot. Fun stuff.
Mike
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
The story was ok, but the sudden change in art during the last issue knocked the book down a bit I felt.
Stefan Fergus
Apr 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Not bad. A bit thin. Started well, but became predictable.
velma
Aug 20, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Okay, it was a good adventure and all, but why the flippity frick frak is Cap doing romance with Peggy's niece?!!!!!!!!!!!?????? hOW IS THIS NOT CREEPY
Katy
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars
Brandt
Oct 08, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
It seems that when Ed Brubaker first began his run on Captain America the first thing he might have done was to go back and read all of the "Golden Age" adventures of Cap and the other Timely Comics heroes that predated the "Marvel Age." While constant collaborator Jack Kirby was an artist on the early Timely Captain America stories with Joe Simon, Stan Lee didn't make his mark until the "Silver Age" of comics and I am going to assume that Stan was the one behind linking the old Timely heroes to ...more
Matt
May 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Collects Captain America issues #1-5

I picked up this volume because I had heard so much about Ed Brubaker's well-regarded run on "Captain America." I have never read the original "Winter Soldier" storyline, and I was excited to get there. I saw "Ed Brubaker" and "Volume 1," so with little research I assumed this was the right starting place. Unfortunately, this is Volume 1 of the re-launch. By the time of this story, Steve has already left the role of Cap, and returned to it. So, while I enjoyed
Dean
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not sure about some of the ‘derivative’ comments concerning Brubakers run here. His Cap run has mined the WW2 aspect consistently, adding a lot to the mythos, and I’m more than happy about that.
This collection sees a nice blend of then and now, as a mission that went badly wrong back in the War comes back to haunt Nick Fury and Cap, as people thought long gone return. Though not as nuanced as some of Brubakers previous Cap run, its good stuff, plenty to enjoy, and a nice little cameo from a long
Igor
May 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Brubaker is one of the favorite author for me, since I red Criminal.Coward. I expected the same structure, style of his comic here, apparently.

He inherited story in not good condition, but detective aspects, complexity of main character, original Cap - Make the story, Great Again!

I liked Brubaker’s opportunity to assume Cap wandered in his past and scrambled with the effects of American dream in nowadays.

5 stars for good story, original Cap, drama and support cast.
Scott
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really good Cap adventure that was like a throwback to an issue from the 70's or 80's. I'm not sure what I liked better - the melancholy references to his time in WWII or having Howling Commando vets Nick Fury (the original two-fisted, cigar-chomping, salt-and-pepper / five o'clock shadow, Hell's Kitchen native version of the character - not that I have an issue with Samuel L., though) and 'Dum Dum' Dugan along side him in action.
Jesse
Mar 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Pretty good. Steve McNiven's art was top-notch. The very last issue had some helper art by someone not nearly as good, but it happens. The plot was quick and fun, with some strange sci-fi bits and some good relationship parts as well. The ending was very anticlimactic, not explored nearly enough. It was obviously all just setup for more story. So we'll see how that goes.
Steven W
Aug 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comic-books
I’m getting towards the end of Brubaker’s Captain America run, and I think he’s running out of steam. At the rate that Cap’s WWII allies and enemies show up in the modern day to try to kill him, it’s amazing any were left to go home and spawn the Baby Boomers.
Kaylabookworm22 L
Sep 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very fun read. I enjoyed it a lot.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Captain America by Mark Waid: Home of the Brave
  • Captain America: Secret Empire
  • Captain America & Bucky: Old Wounds
  • Fallen Son: The Death of Captain America
  • Batman & Robin, Vol. 3: Batman & Robin Must Die!
  • Batman: Detective Comics: The Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 1
  • Secret Empire
  • Captain America: Steve Rogers, Vol. 1: Hail Hydra
  • Captain America by Ta-Nehisi Coates, Vol. 2: Captain of Nothing
  • FF, Volume 1
Ed Brubaker (born November 17, 1966) is an Eisner Award-winning American cartoonist and writer. He was born at the National Naval Medical Center, Bethesda, Maryland.

Brubaker is best known for his work as a comic book writer on such titles as Batman, Daredevil, Captain America, Iron Fist, Catwoman, Gotham Central and Uncanny X-Men. In more recent years, he has focused solely on creator-owned titles

Captain America (2011) (Collected Editions) (4 books)
  • Captain America, Volume 2