Start by marking “Pride & Popularity (The Jane Austen Diaries, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pride & Popularity (The Jane Austen Diaries, #1)

Pride & Popularity

(The Jane Austen Diaries #1)

***AUTHOR'S DISCLAIMER***
If you are hoping to find a YA book full of paranormal beasts, sex, or teens who act much more like under-aged adults, I suggest you save your money and do not buy this book. In fact don't buy any of The Jane Austen Diaries. However, if you are looking for a clean, lighthearted, sweet romance, where teens are good and happy and normal--like all of
Published July 13th 2011 by Brigham Distributing (first published May 7th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pride & Popularity, please sign up.
Bella yes but I don't think that they are all about the same person
Serena I haven't actually read the book but it's takes place at my high school, so I assuming it revolves around high schoolers and their lives

Kerra
Nov 26, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book as part of a Goodreads Giveaway.

Let me start out by saying that I absolutely hated this book.

I am eighteen years old, so I assumed that since I am a "young adult" that this book should have been directed to girls who are at/around the same level of maturity as I am. I was wrong.

"Pride and Popularity" by Jenni James claims to be a more realistic portrayal of teenagers today. I have yet to find anyone over the age of 13 who would be willing to play a game of "Oink Piggy Oink"
Sara
Feb 14, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya-lit
I don't think it's possible to fully express how much I disliked this book. In fact, if goodreads would let me, I'd give it a half star or less.

The writing is juvenile, filled with telling instead of showing. James often has her narrator, Chloe, spell out subtext for the reader with annoying, italicized thoughts. Not to mention her vocabulary is on the same level as the average ten year old. On discovering something negative about the "Darcy" character, she thinks to herself, Taylor Anderson is
Tiffani
Dec 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, this sucks. I do not understand how this book has an average rating of 4.08 stars.

-There is no character development.
-Elizabeth's (I only remember her second name, that's how boring it was) moodswings gave me whiplash.
-Just because Taylor does some nice things (she knows of) suddenly she doesn't hate him anymore and even loves him while she actually doesn't even really know him. (he said so himself, but after a couple of days, if that, she was already talking about knowing him like
Misty
When I finished this on Goodreads, a GR friend asked me "Have you no shame?" and I just want to state for the record: no, I do not. I will pick up every damn thing with "Pride and _________" or "___________ and Prejudice" in it... Nor do I regret that, because sometimes they turn out to be worth it. This was actually really enjoyable, though certainly aimed at a particular segment of the reading public.

It started out really rocky for me, actually, because it just felt like James was getting the
Holmes221B
DID NOT FINISH
SKIMMED AFTER ~30 PAGES
DID NOT GET BETTER.
I found it hard to like the characters.

Taylor - that guy who thinks he God's gift to the female population, winks at random girls, and appreciates a fan club. Okay. Stop right there. He's.....Darcy? God, no.

Introducing Chloe - who is watching Taylor (and is supposedly unimpressed) , doesnt give sh*t about the smarmy boy. Then winks at her. She falls for him. Did that just happen in....5 minutes?

In her own words -

How in the world did I, for
Poppy
Dec 05, 2011 rated it did not like it
Worst YA P&P adaptation yet. Was going to give it a 2, but when "Darcy" gave "Elizabeth" a bible charm at the end b/c she loves church (not once before this was church or bible mentioned), I just got angry at the apparent propaganda. Characters were immature (yeah, YA, but still...) and "Darcy" didn't live up to his namesake. This "Darcy" didn't even learn to love the "heroine," he loved her from the start! Argh. This might have been OK if this were not a P&P story.

I hated this book so
Kathy * Bookworm Nation
This was such a fun retelling of Pride & Prejudice. The story takes place in a modern-day high school, with Chloe and Taylor as our leads. Chloe was really likable. I really liked her personality and thought she was fun to read about. I'm glad she didn't fall all over Taylor like literally every other girl. He really had to earn it. =) Taylor was also likable, we're able to see his charming side, but also his sincere side as well. I had to give the book five stars simply because I caught mys ...more
Yue
It always amazes me when I read a lot of good reviews and high ratings, and then I rate the same book like this. I think it is a terrible retelling of P&P. I even couldn't stop thinking while I was reading it 'Mmmm I could be reading the last book of The Ghost and the Goth' (which I am going to do now).

To me the book is like a fanfic. The writing is amateur-ish, the behavior of characters is so forced; it does not look real or flowing. Even the cover looks fanfic.

Chloe... my God, what an obn
Julieta
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cheesy, chick-lit
A GREAT summer read!

I was laying in my bed, bored to death, when I saw I had this book and just thought, why not?
The minute I started reading I fell in love with Taylor and was able to identify myself with Chloe. It's such an easy-going read, I finished the book in an afternoon. I couldn't bring myself to let it go.

Maybe it is because I LOVE high school drama, but Pride & Popularity made my day. It exasperated me and at the same time kind of melted me with all the romance and cuteness from
Kathy
Nov 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2011
This books was fun. I love Jane Austen and I love clean young adult fiction so this was a perfect mix for me. Pride & Popularity was completely predictable but that didn't keep me from enjoying every minute of it. It's a cute story that retells Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice in a modern day setting.

If you read for enjoyment you'll likely be taken with this book. If you read with a more critical eye there are a few things that might detract you from the story. Since I am one who reads pure
Valerie Waters
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Ahhhh. I've waited so long to read this book and it did not disappoint!!!! LOVED it!!
Amy
2011 Pre-Review
Not a single one-star review? That is impressive, especially for a Austen/retelling/fanfiction....I'm curious

2018 Review
Alas for crushed expectations.
This book suffers from a bad case of...

It was cute and corny but really...really...really...random. And just plain weird.

This line basically sums up the entire story:

Chloe "I'm-So-Embarrassed-My-Middle-Name-Is-Elizabeth" Hart is an 18 year old who acts like a 12 year old. She doesn't realize she likes Taylor "My-Middle-Name-Is-Darc
DelSheree
Dec 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Jane Austen’s books have been rewritten countless times, but not like this. Gone are the complicated courtship rituals and subtleties of old English society, but that hardly means there aren’t any similarities between then and now.

Pride and Popularity drops you right into the middle of the modern teenage life filled the same problems Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy faced in their day, just funnier. Chloe Hart is determined not to fall for the superstar of her hometown because she’s positive she
Watermelon Daisy
Jun 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Kristin Davison
Jul 06, 2018 rated it liked it
I always find James's characters to be very naive and imagine them to be younger than they are, this book was no exception. The plot very closely followed P&P, which could be annoying at times.
Sheila Majczan
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a kindle loan from a friend.

In my opinion this is definitely a book for teens or very young adults. It is cute and a fast read and many can probably find characters and/or events with which to identify from their own lives. Books, i.e., Mean Girls, reinforce information given about the terrible angst all teens experience (unless you are in the "in" crowd) while living ages 13 to 18. As a substitute teacher in Middle School and as the mother of three I witnessed up close and persona
Paula  Phillips
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Do you always find it interesting when you read other people's reviews on books ? Especially if it is a book that you enjoyed ? For me, whenever I review a book, I always like to check out the one-two star reviews on Goodreads as I sometimes can't believe that people waste all that time to write a negative review.
I will admit as soon as I read the Jane Austen part and that it was a modern rendition of one of her tales, I was immediately hooked and knew I just had to read it. I Paula Phillips am
Heather
Sep 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: school-wishlist
Full review at http://networkedblogs.com/mE7m8

With as many young adult books as I read there are very few I would definitely recommend to my daughters and friends as completely worth the time and purchase. But Pride and Popularity is one I can whole heartedly stand behind. Jenni James takes Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice into the 21st century and adapts it to teens. I found myself totally immersed and grinning ear to ear at the end.

Chloe has been burned by the popular crowd at her old school
Katie W
I love Pride and Prejudice and find myself reading many spin-offs, and enjoying most of them. This one was soooo cute--a definite must read for YA/P&P fans. Jenni James took the story and completely molded it to a 21st century fit.

Chloe Hart is apparently the only girl immune to Taylor Anderson's charms. He is almost a local celebrity at the high school and Chloe has a thing against popularity. He was almost mean at times, yet so utterly adorable.

I love how the story was completely adapted
Kathryn Cooper
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of this book for review. When it came in the mail yesterday I paused the book I had been reading to start this immediately. Once my kids were in bed at 7:30 last night I started reading Pride and Popularity and couldn't put it down! I stayed up until 1:30 in the morning to finish. I've never been happier to lose sleep. I was still happy this morning. You can't help but be happy when reading this feel good book. Thank you Jenni for the fun night!

I know I
Cathy
Jan 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Chloe Hart is just an ordinary senior in high school. She's not one of the "Popular" crowd, but she does have plenty of her own friends. Her family is just a little crazy, but whose isn't? I love the character of her mom, she is such an individual! It seems she had asked Chloe's younger sister, Cassidy, to clean her room for 3 weeks, she decided that was long enough and starts to "clean" it herself, using garbage bags for all of the stuff on the floor. Chloe finally has what she's been waiting h ...more
Angie
Nov 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Girls. And any guy who's looking for tips on how to sweep a girl off her feet.
It's not very often that I sit down with a book and not move from my spot until I've read the book cover to cover. But that's what I did with this book, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Despite knowing the whole story before I even opened the book, I still felt Chloe's indignation at Taylor's egocentricity, her anger at his ability to constantly get under his skin. And even though I knew there was more to him than meets the eye, I couldn't help but hate him along with Chloe, adding my own nonverbal "
Julie Carpenter
*2nd read review*

I really enjoyed this series a lot when I read it a couple years ago, and have also really enjoyed the other books by this author so much so that I have been slowly purchasing them for my home library. I love reading and want a large library for my family to be able to have access to lots of good, clean and wholesome books to choose from. My oldest daughter and I read this together and it was fun to see her making the connections to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. She hasn't
Ritika Chhabra
This retelling of Pride and Prejudice has become one of the favorite books that I read so far. Of course, I got a little confused with the characters in the beginning, so confused that I could only figure out Elizabeth and Darcy out there. I definitely did not realize the importance of the other characters and man, I wish I had done that sooner.

The book was a lot exciting than the last retelling I read of it. Being the first in the series, it was an amazing introduction to the series and I was,
Kezia Miller
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I haven't read a lot of retellings of Pride & Prejudice so I really enjoyed reading this one. My favourite parts was when I connected how the characters in this story related to the original Pride & Prejudice. I loved the ending and feel like it gave really good closure. I will say that I think what Chloe said at times was almost going too far but I understand that in a way that's just who the character is. This was a great retelling that made me smile, laugh and gasp throughout the whol ...more
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome. I've never wanted to read any of Jane Austen's books before, but after I read this book and most of the others in the series, I want to read the original works. Pride and Popularity opened my eyes to the wonders of Austen's books. I look forward to more novels from this fantastic author.
Rosie
Feb 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Oh wow, wow, wow, wow! I loved Pride And Prejudice but this modern day twist on it just made me love it even more. It was only about half way through the book that I started to make the connections between who each character was representing and all of the scenarios, but it was soooooo perfect, so clever, so funny and romantic.
Cheri
Aug 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: young-adult
This book deserves a 4.5 star!! A modern Jane Austin story. A book for Austin fans of any age. Taylor is the most popular boy in school and Chloe is determined not to give him the time of day. I couldn't put this book down. I can't wait until the next book!!
May 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It was a great modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice. I loved reading it and was sad when it was over. I look forward to more in this series.
Emma