Start by marking “Managing My Life: My Autobiography” as Want to Read:
Managing My Life: My Autobiography

Managing My Life: My Autobiography

This book is about the beginning of Sir Alex's football career, until the year 2000.

1999 was an outstanding year for Alex Ferguson - not only did he lead Manchester United, the most glamorous club in the world, to a unique and outstanding treble triumph, but he was awarded the highest honour for his sporting achievements; a Knighthood from the Queen. Universally respected
Paperback, Updated Edition, 544 pages
Published August 3rd 2000 by Coronet (first published August 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Managing My Life, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Managing My Life

Start your review of Managing My Life: My Autobiography
James
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Since I'm a lifelong Liverpool supporter I breathed a great sigh of relief when Sir Alex Ferguson (SAF) announced his retirement towards the end of the 2012-2013 season. And with good reason. SAF is the greatest Scottish / British manager in history, who boasts a staggering trophy haul. The irony is that after this bio was published (which would be the envy of 99.9% of living managers), Fergie went on to win the champions league again! SAF is Manchester United personified, yet as he often admits ...more
Allan
Jan 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
Has been light relief from the Dostoevsky I finished a couple of weeks ago! I had browsed Alex Ferguson's latest autobiog in Waterstones over Christmas, but think this is a much better written book with more details about his early career in Scotland as a player and then manager. I found the editing a bit loose on occasions, but overall enjoyed this read as an insight into the highs and lows of his career, particularly at Man Utd. So many achievements-you can't help but admire his skill as a ...more
janghir Chowdhury
Oct 11, 2011 rated it liked it
a Glaswegians interpretation of Mein kampf, only this is more biased and blinkered than Hitler literature.
Gary
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I recently read his latest biography though interesting did not meet the standards of this one. Although if I am honest not one of my favourite people but I cannot help admire him.
Allan
May 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
A break from my usual reading fayre, reading the first autobiography of the most successful manager of the modern football era, which was fascinating in many ways, if a little too drawn up by the last 100 pages or so.
Sasha Stanley
Nov 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is an autobiography of Sir Alex Ferguson, widely regarded as the best soccer manager in England, and the world. This book was written after Manchester United’s treble: winning the league, the league cup, and the champion’s league. This Autobiography from a very young age, in the 1940’s to 1999. You learn all about his young life, when he attended middle school, and then secondary school, when he was becoming a professional footballer and a skilled tool maker. Then it goes on with his ...more
Shonaigh Mudie
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Published just after the treble it gives you a great insight into the man from his childhood right up to winning it all on that brilliant night in Barcelona. You get a real sense of Ferguson and what makes him tick and he takes you right back through time chronologically including his own playing days and early jobs in management. Good to read about the wonderful things he did in Scotland too. He talks of how the games changed and times passed, family values and they are the ones he carries into ...more
Graham
Jun 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
A brilliant book as written by a brilliant, awe-inspiring individual. My only gripe is that it was written so long ago and he's done so much more since then!! I hope he updates it once he finally retires from the Old Trafford hotseat! Reading this I am amazed by Sir Alex's intelligence, honesty and thoughtfulness. He is a very articulate writer and I found it engrossing. Loved it.
Vishrut Garg
Nov 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
There's more to Sir Alex Ferguson, the manager of Manchester United than being at the helm of the most famous football club in the world. This book chronicles his rise from a small house alongside the Govan shipbuilding yard to the stairs of Hampden Park as a player, the pitch of Ibrox as a centre forward for his beloved Glasgow Rangers, to behind the counter at his own pub "Fergie's", to Gothenburg where a Scottish side beat the mighty Real Madrid to win the European Cup and finally to the Camp ...more
Edward
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
For the most part, this is a fine account of the career of one of the greatest managers in the history of British football. Hugh McIlvanney is the skilful ghost-writer who successfully weaves the material from Ferguson's time as a player, manager, publican and family man; barely striking a false note in tone and style. There are only two weaknesses: Ferguson offers only a few insights into his tactical planning (probably because he was still managing Manchester United at the time of ...more
Luis
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book because it talks about a topic that i love and that is soccer. Alex Ferguson is my favorite manager of all time because of what he had brought to Manchester United and to the soccer world. This mostly takes place in Manchester, England were all the soccer games were mostly played and were the historic moments had happened. He had changed soccer in a good way because he had different techniques than any other other managers. He would sign young taleneted players and ...more
Phil Truslove
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Having already read Ferguson's other autobiography I wondered why it skimmed over his early and playing years. This filled in the gaps and I wish I had read this book first. This was a great read and is a fascinating insight into how Manchester United was rebuilt under Ferguson. Little did Ferguson know when the book was published in 1999 that there was plenty more to come as manager of Manchester United!
Nick Coleman
Sep 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this is a book about my favorite manager on my favorite club ( which is Manchester United) Alex Ferguson. this book is good for people that watch the premier league or like me a man united fan. i personally like this book. he tells you stuff about his personal life, awards,and when he use to play soccer.you will learn stuff you never knew about Alex Ferguson. i know i did.
Alejandro Shirvani
Dec 28, 2013 rated it liked it
This is the better of the two Ferguson books and the one which is a real autobiography and will tell you things you didn't necessarily know, about his background growing up, playing career and so on. Ferguson's book is better than most autobiogs, full of interesting little insights that give you an idea how his mind works. He comes over as an intelligent and interesting guy.
Eugene Yap
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
It has a been an enjoyable ride reading on Sir Alex Ferguson life just after the treble. And that what went through with his life before undertaking the job that would make him the legend in the soccer fraternity.

It gives an insight into this legendary manager of his Never-lose mentality and his ability to pull out the best of the players
Zlatko Maric
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Good insight into a life of the best football manager of all time. This book only has one problem. It ends while Beckham is still in the club. I guess that author didn't expect to stay next to the pitch for years to come.

However, not really a problem since the new book perfectly fits after this one and finishes the story of one of the greatest people in football of all time.
Redfox5
Feb 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
I thought I'd give this ago even though I think football is one of the most boring sports on the planet. Maybe there would be some interesting childhood tales etc, turns out a football manager played alot of football in their younger years. Who saw that coming? Snoreeeee. Did not finish.
Ewan
Dec 02, 2013 rated it liked it
One of the more interesting and well written football Autobiographies.

Worth reading if you are a footie fan.
Christopher Pegg
Jan 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed reading this book and found out some useful insight into the world of Alex Ferguson. Especially his early playing years at Rangers.
Damien Field
Nov 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Twice the quality of his second book and definitely more interesting.
Armando Vidal
Jan 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
sir alex ferguson is a tank. his career as a manager was beast as he was a great manager for united. i believe this book really gave good details on his career. i think this book is a "must-read".
Rami Jabr
Oct 24, 2013 is currently reading it
Cayla Hill
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Loved getting to know the manager of my favorite soccer club of all time. Wish they would create an updated version though since he has accomplished so much more since 1999.
Jonny Dolan
Jan 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
A great insight to the life of a great man. When I read it it hadn't been updated for 10 years. Hopefully there's a sequel!
Arjun
Dec 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-love
Amazing book to start. The life of one of the greatest ever football managers in his own words. Must read for any football lover.
Dan Weatherer
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
The better of the two books of his that I have read. I felt that this gave a more complete overview of the man behind United.
Ravishankar Kulkarni
Oct 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: football, non-fiction
One of the best autobiographies I've read! Good blend of wit & wisdom makes this a very interesting read. I hope he writes about his life after the treble winning season in the future.
Aarthurc2
Aug 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent. Would never have taught that alex fergeson had such a sense of humour
Julian Kim
Jul 25, 2013 rated it it was ok
A great insight into one of history's greatest footbal managers. Entertaining, especially if you're a football fan.
Anthony Watkin
Aug 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book is great and a must read for man u fans and anyone who likes football.

• Keane:  The Autobiography
  • Clough The Autobiography
  • Blessed - The Autobiography
  • Cantona: The Rebel Who Would Be King: The Turbulent Life of Eric Cantona
  • Michael Carrick: Between the Lines: My Autobiography
a former Scottish football manager and player who managed Manchester United from 1986 to 2013. His time at the club has led to Ferguson being regarded as one of the most successful, admired and respected managers in the history of the game.
Ferguson managed East Stirlingshire and St. Mirren before a highly successful period as manager of Aberdeen. After briefly managing Scotland following the death
“Opponents come to Old Trafford expecting an onslaught. ‘Why disappoint them?’ I say to my players.” 0 likes