Start by marking “The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen” as Want to Read:
The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen

The Tuscan Sun Cookbook: Recipes from Our Italian Kitchen

“Tuscan food tastes like itself. Ingredients are left to shine. . . . So, if on your visit, I hand you an apron, your work will be easy. We’ll start with primo ingredients, a little flurry of activity, perhaps a glass of Vino Nobile di Montepulciano, and soon we’ll be carrying platters out the door. We’ll have as much fun setting the table as we have in the kitchen. Four d ...more
Published March 13th 2012 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about The Tuscan Sun Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Tuscan Sun Cookbook

Onceinabluemoon
May 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 oh my tastebuds are dancing!
Arrel
Jan 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cooking-eating
Very nice book with wonderful photos of food and Tuscany, interesting text and good recipes. Frances Mayes and husband Edward spend part of each year in nearby Hillsborough NC, so we have managed to meet and visit with them. Worth owning as a visual feast, but the recipes are good too!
Raidene
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Delicious recipes sit side by side with beautiful photographs and evocative prose. Exactly what one would expect from the poet and author Mayes.
Nancy
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Great sounding Italian recipes and the text and photos are wonderful!
Terry
Mar 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice book

This is a nice book that brings the reader to Italy. But
The recipes are hohum - nothing special. Recipes that
anyone who cooks Italian already knows.
Sonia
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Beautifully illustrated, great recipes. Good for gardeners with an over-abundance of tomatoes!
Virginia Campbell
One of my favorite "mindcations" is "Under the Tuscan Sun". In my version, everything has the beautiful glow of Renaissance reds and golds. Even I am beautiful and glowing. Rustic, yet regal, my villa is filled with light, laughter, gorgeous food and great wine, good times and good people. Acclaimed writer Frances Mayes set the wheels of my mind in motion when I saw the film version of her book, "Under the Tuscan Sun", and then I added to my enjoyment of the film by reading her books and followi ...more
Sharon
Oct 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fabulous cookbook. Great photos and wonderful recipes with so many tips and cross references. But the delight of the stories of life in Bramasole and the new house, neighbors and village life, mix with the joy of life and great ingredients of the seasons making for some truly memorable and easy cooking. So far only made a few dishes, from the earlier books and articles and a couple from this book but they are all repeats and excellent. Recommend all her books for the shear joy of livi ...more
Charlotte
May 04, 2016 rated it it was ok
If you've NEVER read a cookbook along these lines, EVER, then this will be great for you. However, I have two dozen exactly like it, so I would have preferred more recipes, less dull storytelling. I did very much appreciate the warnings about expired olive oil, however, but she should have gone even further...since most people don't know that most of it is not even olive oil anyway. I think I got one recipe from this entire book.
K.M.
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, cookbooks, italy
This is a gorgeous book. Even if all you do is page through it to look at the pictures, it's worth reading. Check it out of the library if you want to try it before you buy it. There's a nice section on making pasta. There is just enough writing to be complementary but not so much as to be a distraction from the recipes and the pictures. The recipes are organized by course. You don't have to be a reader of all of Frances Mayes books to appreciate this one.
Catherine
Apr 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fun to read, contains several Mediterranean recipes I’d like to try. Worth looking at just for the gorgeous table settings. Definitely a lifestyle cookbook, as evidenced by the suggestion that three types of pecorino should be included in your pantry staples. The recipe instructions are beautifully concise – I don’t think a single recipe took up more than one page, and often there were two per page.
Brianna Elsass
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
Thought about not including it here but since it actually had some light stories included and I actually sat down to read it cover to cover before I attempted anything in the book, I figured I could. Pretty good, the food reminds me of my travels to Italy... I have found something else for the Christmas list this year!
Barbara VA
Is it possible to give a book more than 5 stars? I loved this for the writing,the photos, the stories and then the food! My shopping list this morning is incredibly long and as hot as it is, over 95*, I am craving the hearty soups of roasts and chestnuts of winter as I am the lemony seasoned veggies and gelatos! I am hungry!!!
Teri
Aug 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a beautiful cookbook that turns simple ingredients into spectacular, colorful dishes. Gorgeous, inviting photographs and funny, heartwarming anecdotes are intertwined with 150+ Italian recipes, none of which take up more than a single page. Love it! Try the Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomatoes, Artichokes & Chickpeas -- YUM.
Cindyjaxn
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a glorius cookbook. Not only do the recipes seeem enticing but it is jammed packed with gorgeous pictures and beautiful writing. This goes beyond the typical regional cookbook by giving us insight into the people who actually cook and eat the recipes in the book.
Bravo!
Kimberly
Oct 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Lovely book with great recipes and beautiful photos. Makes you want to pack your bags and go to Italy. The recipes are supposedly pretty simple for the authors, but not your average ingredients or skill level for someone with next to no culinary skills (like me).
April
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
A sensory experience. Not necessarily a book I'll use to cook, but certainly a very pleasurable armchair trip to Italy, complete with food! I had thoroughly enjoyed her other books, so I already had the reference, and enjoyed revisiting her experience.
Lori Berezovsky
May 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This has become one of my favorite cookbooks, partly because very recipe I've tried has been delicious, but also because it is filled with beautiful photography that takes me back to the one trip to Italy I've made (so far). It's perfect!
Michael
May 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
Great Read!
Misty Nagel
Mar 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2012
Oh my goodness - this is a mouth-watering book to read and to look at. There are so many simple, basic Italian recipes that I wanted to copy every other page (I had borrowed it from the library).
Emily
May 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
A beautiful look at Tuscan cuisine--mouthwatering recipes and such a gorgeous book! If you like Italian cooking, it's a must read.
Tracy
Jul 22, 2012 marked it as to-read
Shelves: mom
Christmas present for Mom?
 Therese
Jun 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
If you liked the novel from Frances Mayes, wait till you read the cookbook. Delightful and mouth-watering!
Brooke
May 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
So fun! I've already made 7 or so recipes and they have all been so wonderful! By the way, I had no idea homemade ravioli was so simple!!!
Angie Niles
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm a huge huge fan of Frances Mayes' book Under the Tuscan Sun and so want to be Diane Lane in the movie. Reading even more about her life in Tuscany and the amazing recipes was so fantastic.
Judy
Sep 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this. Everything sound so doable.
Donna
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
The recipes and photos make you really want to go there and experience Tuscany!
Prestoni
Sep 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Haven't tried manre pies, but have thoroughly enjoyed the ones I have. Beautiful book to look at as we'll, especially if you have read her book, under the Tuscan sun, as well.
Susan
Mar 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Even the photogrpahs are mouthwatering. Can't wait to get started!
Barbara
Mar 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I would buy this book!!! Wonderful recipes. If see used let me know

• Now Eat This! Italian: Favorite Dishes from the Real Mamas of Italy--All Under 350 Calories
  • The Tucci Cookbook
  • A Girl and Her Pig: Recipes and Stories
  • Cooking with Italian Grandmothers: Recipes and Stories from Tuscany to Sicily
  • Tasting Rome: Fresh Flavors and Forgotten Recipes from an Ancient City
  • Year-Round Slow Cooker: 100 Favorite Recipes for Every Season
Frances Mayes's new book is See You in the Piazza: New Places to Discover in Italy published by Crown. Her most recent novel is Women in Sunlight, published by Crown and available in paperback in spring 2019. With her husband, Edward Mayes she recently published The Tuscan Sun Cookbook. Every Day in Tuscany is the third volume in her bestselling Tuscany memoir series.

In addition to her